How the flying fuck do you guys find time to improve on and learn new programming skills and languages when you have a...

How the flying fuck do you guys find time to improve on and learn new programming skills and languages when you have a job?

Seriously though, when your whole job is programming 24/7 it takes serious hits on your motivation and willingness to be at the computer more. What do you guys do to cope with it?

Attached: 0125c67f72d5af41a55bba30302608e9.jpg (520x698, 78K)

the secret is, noone here has a job.

If your job takes 24 hours a day you are doing something seriously wrong. Also, who says you can't learn new skills during worktime.

we don't have jobs

I am a devops engineer and I have to support so many baddy developer wannabes that I often just feel like going high and falling asleep.

I agree with your sentiment of having more free time to program helping to better your skills. Often times when you have to repeat the same bullshit tasks over and over it gets in the way.

I try to automate those tasks. My work helps my skills and I spend weekends on personal projects.I don't code every weekend but I do often. Sometimes its good to get out for weekend or think about your approach to the program before writing it. Coding effectively can counteract the need to code frequently.

That's why you don't make your hobby your job.

>who says you can't learn new skills during worktime
I will, because everywhere I seem to go the job consists primarily of learning the product and then fixing boring bugs, which might not be bad for a complete beginner but beyond that you're no longer learning.

>8 hour job
>8 hour sleep
>2 hour commute
>2-3 hour physiological and higiene needs (cook, eat, bathroom...)
>2 hour shitposting

You are with 1 or 2 hours left to learn

you find a job in which you can do exactly that, improve and learn new skills and languages

Step 1. Don't live in a 2nd or 3rd world country.
Step 2. Learn during work hours and have your employer pay it.

Social life, gf? Oh wait, I'm on Jow Forums, nevermind then...

>Step 1. Don't live in a 2nd or 3rd world country.
I didn't know the US was a 2nd or 3rd world country
>Learn during work hours and have your employer pay it.
Oh because my employer would love me to learn cloud computing and hpc when I am supposed to coding backend for guis and applications.

Don't waste your free time posting on Jow Forums asking about how to learn more shit and use that time to learn more shit.

Nobody comes to Jow Forums to learn. We are here to shit post about x product and pat ourselves on the back for winning internet arguments that will prune themselves in a few days.

Seriously this. Having a gf will take up so much time it is ridiculous. Even on weekends as well. Not that I don't want a gf though... she is literally my only emotional support.

According to Jow Forums, these things improve your programming skills:

Three monitors
40% mechanical keyboard forged by Taiwanese elves, pink/cyan colored
(Keyboard must be tiny but huge mouse pad is OK for some reason)
Programming socks
"Minimal" Arch Linux
"Minimal" window manager
Fixed-width bitmap fonts in all programs
Dark like my soul color theme

This: Jokes aside, not in CS, but a network admin here. I try to find fun things to do. So in my case I'm diversifying, I usually maintain Windows servers, and networking different sites.
But in my free time learn info sec, and pen testing, and branch from. Their to motivate, and keep myself up on the latest.

This. Replace the job with freelancing.
Don't you have at least 30 minutes a day to read technical stuff at work?
Reduce your commute.
Consider getting a waifu.

>cloud computing and hpc
Learn things tangentially related to your job. You can learn, just not whatever you want.

>Don't you have at least 30 minutes a day to read technical stuff at work?
Reading blogs is no substitute to actual experience, which I'm not getting because I waste time on stupid shit like figuring out why some records are duplicated or how come this one field on a report has an invalid value.
I've went through 5 places so far and every single one of them has been the same, this is 95% of my "software development" career so far. On the rare occasion I do get to implement a new feature or even do something completely from scratch I'm either thrown into a shitty codebase that no one wants to touch or I'm so far out of my depth I don't even know where to start.
I have no idea how to get out of this vicious cycle of bad jobs.

>Reading blogs
Read books to get some deeper stuff. Do the exercises.
>I have no idea how to get out of this vicious cycle of bad jobs.
Work for a startup. Start your own business.

slack off at work

You know that time you spend not programming or working? You know the one where you either spend watching stuff or playing something or whatever? Yeah you don't do those things or at least do them less so you can pick up a project instead.

I work 8 hours, take a hour nap, eat, study for 5 hours, game or code for a hour or 2, and watch YouTube or Netflix for a hour or so. Take shower and go to bed around 12.

Do it all over again. With some flexibility with my routine towards the end of the day. I clean, and relax on my weekends.

I was lazy and less productive when I worked parttime.

If I don't take a nap during the day I will crash the following work day from exhaustion.

work at a job that requires you to constantly learn new technologies