Windows Subsystem for Linux

So I was just looking fro a way to use Bash on Windows, and I learned about Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth giving a shot or should I just stick with virtual machines or having a separate Linux installation on my desktop?

Attached: 1_IEvq0DSNzviET85A4uOHMQ.jpg (648x636, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues
gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Readline
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it performs like shit and rarely works properly. You are better off using headless VirtualBox or Docker.

What kind of problems do you experience? Is it just unstable in general, or are there errors with certain Linux features (for instance, compilers behave strangely or something)?

>Windows Subsystem for Linux
>literally not one bit of linux kernel on it
really makes my noggin joggin

bugs and things. Also, because the WSL filesystem is shared with Windows, you get all sorts of line endings problems that are just pure fucking hell.

it's better than cygwin if that says anything to you (which means it works very well)
nearly everything works fine for terminal use.

It works just like any distro if you don't go graphical.

github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues
Lie.

This. There's no GUI but if you're actually getting shit done instead of ricing then it doesn't matter in Linux anyway.

>unable to update
>unable to blah blah
>cpu rises

you realize that's the issues with windows and it being complete and utter fucking garbage, right?

only reason to use WSL is to use good tools like rsync, nmap etc on windows. other than that it has no use because you might as well just boot linux and throw your shitdows into the fucking trash can if you need more. since there's no useful product on any microsoft device or OS

Really really really low I/O
Hope you like 500KB/s to SSD with with 1K IOPS.

don't order burger king and then walk into a mcdonalds to eat it. likewise don't order at a mcdonalds and then walk into a burger king.

DONT WALK INTO MCDONALDS AND THEN ASK HOW THEY MAKE THE FUCKING BURGERS AT BURGER KING

(rolling the R's)
RrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuggggggghhhIMGETTINGANGRIERANDBECOMINGSTRONGER

Linux users often suggest using KVM with GPU passthrough to use applications like photoshop seamlessly within Linux. Why is it different for WSL? Linux is only useful when it comes to a handful of neat console based applications, but hell I've even got sound working and the gui working perfectly on WSL, no lag, no bugs, flawless Windows driver based OpenGL, runs 3d applications faster than actual linux can do, why the fuck is that?

>it performs like shit and rarely works properly
lolno

If you're ever going to be working with and spending a non-trivial amount of time with terminals then you really shouldn't be using Windows because Microsoft has 0 respect for them. Use Linux or hell even MacOS instead, since at least they treat terminals as professional tools for serious sysadmin and programming work.

>terminals in Windows look ugly as shit
>cmd and PowerShell are as shitty as they look
>not as many choices of terminal emulators as for Linux/Mac
>hard as fuck to make them look better
>hard as fuck to modify and customize them to be better
>hard as fuck to make them work how you want
>hard as fuck to configure Windows in general, really
>doesn't have GNU readline bindings
>feels sluggish and clumsy to use
>confusing to manage cmd, PowerShell, bash, all at once and the x86/x64 versions for each and every one of them

Install gentoo.

Attached: 1528934382920.jpg (1493x1600, 194K)

I feel that too, I'm getting far better numbers than native. Fuck, I even compiled ungoogled chromium in like 10 minutes, a 40 minute job in Linux on my old westmere.

>10 minutes, a 40 minute
Not sure if python developer or shill

What are you talking about? I have the whole GNU core util suite on powershell, I honestly can't tell much of a difference. emacs and vim have powershell compatible version. Let's be real, anything "more advanced" than this stuff: gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html isn't something you are using daily on Linux, even if you are a crazy poweruser.

With KVM you run a virtual machine so it works almost as if the guest OS was running on its own, albeit a bit slower (if you use GPU passthrough). WSL pretty much reimplements Linux syscalls.

That's not my point you retard. You can use your Windows ported GNU programs if you want but you're shooting yourself in the foot as the terminal experience will always be far inferior than on a Linux OS. And when I said GNU readline bindings, I meant terminal shortcuts (e.g. ctrl+a to beginning of line, ctrl+e to end of line, ctrl+w to delete word).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Readline

home and end keys. no need for hand cancer.

>hands don't leave home row
>more ergonomic
>hand cancer

Attached: 66264283.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

ssh through PoSH is shit.

>>>>>>moving your hand over to arrow keys
>>>>>>>>>>>>better
you probably set your editor to nano, too

It's okay but only for dev stuff. Do use it and submit any bugs. Turns out it's a lot easier to port Linux userland to Windows than to create a Windows-like DE for linux.

Can you link WSL to a physical network connection? (Wifi etc)

It already uses the network connection of the Windows host.

Holy shit, we're reaching levels of autism that shouldn't even be possible.

tried this today and it was shit.

apt get nmap failed and so did msf

I don't even know how to interject here since it'd just GNU plus NT. A pervert combination, only the devil himself could imagine .

>not using nano is now peak autism
fuck off, newfag. you haven't seen anything yet.

summerfag pls go

Never had this problem

If they called it the Windows Subsystem for GAHNOO nobody would know what they were talking about

>blah blah

Yeah, well, so what do you use when you come into contact with windows machines? Windows has made quantum leaps in this area. As a matter of fact it's a field that's ripe for exploitation for anyone with a predilection for the command line. Great strides could be made, your nix skills leveraged in lucrative and entertaining ways. Two thumbs up, recommend, subscribe, like.

Attached: 1510254707889.png (789x581, 341K)

My experience with it was trying to use tensorflow back when it wasn't ported to Windows. The result is, it's just not possible, like any other software that uses any non-trivial part of Linux kernel.

That doesn't seem too good of a reason to me since those tools were easily available on Windows years before WSL.

no they weren't =[

cygwin is pretty garbage

Attached: 1526257172777.jpg (1080x793, 119K)

I have an Hp proliant server with 12 cores (2*X5660) and 48GB of RAM, yet it still takes more time to compile something in WSL (e.g. Freedom-E-SDK) than on my Atom based piece-of-shit laptop running native gnu/linux.

Do you set anything after installing WSL to get good performance, or am I just plain that unlucky?

Just search 'python wsl' or 'web dev wsl', there's plenty of guides to use it.
Pretty huge leap from microsoft here, depending on usage there's no need to dualboot or vm anymore, areas needing improvement is read/write speed in certain areas, but this project is developing rapidly and I expect more to come soon.
What I welcome the most is having lightroom in memory to do any photo fixes while I work on the backend stuff, both at the same time. Fantastic

Their picoproces crap absolutely fucks with the firewall