How does Jow Forums feel about the CompTIA certifications?

Currently going to school for an network admin job and they give you tries for both A+ and Net+. I got them both but should I go for more or are they just useless?

Attached: Comptia.jpg (560x270, 47K)

Where do you want to work? Really the only extra one you should consider getting is Security+ if you want to be a contractor.

I feel they're useless

They're the basic food handler's certification of the tech world.

A+ is useless and the lowest of the low.
I actually wouldn't put it on my resume if I had one.
You might learn something useful from the rest, even if they're easy.

So what is a good alternative to CompTIA certs without spending 4 years in University?

These certifications get way more hate than they deserve. The A+ is legitimately one of the most basic certifications, but the Network+ and Security+ are worth your time if you're interested in a starting a career in networking.

I picked up all three of them in past 6 months and felt it was very much worth my time. I used Professor Messer and every practice test I could find. Tomorrow, I have an interview for a Network Administration position and feel that having these certifications on my resume helped get me this far.

I don't feel about the CompTIA certifications.

I think it really depends on your end goal and HR department. In the end they just tell people you know stuff not how to do your job so experience is probably worth more than these certs but you gotta start somewhere man.

I have my A+ and going for the N+ and S+. Gonna land whatever job I can with that just to get experience and slowly get more certs geared toward sysadmin stuff (cloud, database, loonix) and hopefully become a sysadmin before I have kids.

if you want to be a REAL Jow Forums COOLKID then skip everything and go straight to OSCP (don't do this)

They aren't any substitute for a 4 year degree in CIS/MIS. That's not their purpose. They exist for two purposes:
>get an entry level $10/hr gig without a degree
This is the primary thing you hear about with TIA certs and it works. Study up for a month or two and get A+, Net+, and maybe Sec+ then your no-degree having ass is employable for helpdesk plebbery. It's not glamorous and in a world full of degree holders your chances to move up are (not impossible) limited.
>pad your existing resume and degree
So you have the bachelor's degree and you're working. Now your best way forward is experience, but getting an excuse to obtain that experience sometimes involves having boss pay you to get certs (many employers will want at least the aformentioned three on your CV) again.

Caveat emptor: IT varies a lot by location and employer. There are places where TIA is not paid attention to. There are places where it is a major metric. There are yet others where it matters more or less depending on your education. Bottom line: Get the degree if you can. Get the first three certs either way. If you're fortunate enough to get hired without either, get your employer to pay for as many as you can (and more education generally if possible). I got my job in the 00's and my company paid for 5 or so of my TIA certs and sent me to graduate school a few years later. I had a CIS degree going into the job.

I have 12 years combined experience in various IT roles - technical support, network admin, sales engineer, solutions consultant. After I picked up the three CompTIA certs, I started getting a lot more hits from recruiters on LinkedIn. They're most helpful for the HR firewall and do contain genuinely useful knowledge, especially the Net+. I felt the Net+ was the most difficult of the three exams.

To add, I have no degree - just experience and the CompTIA certs. I'm interested in CCENT/CCNA next.

From someone who has no techjob experience and is browsing this thread out of curiosity: What is a sales engineer?

If you don't have any experience, I think they're pretty solid. Not that they'll necessarily get you a job or anything, but they're a good way to pick up the basic skills you'll need to either git gud or pick up better certs.

get a ccna and profit. The comptia certs are nice if you are looking to cover requirements for government contract work though

Shit mang, I'm studying for the S+ right now and I'm sweating bullets after a week of reading. I think I might actually be mentally and physically retarded.

wakaranai my nigga

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-14-20-47-00.png (720x1280, 106K)

Shit nigga I didn't even study for it but I already know 5 out of the 6

>Oh cool this seems pretty easy
>Definitions? I guess that's an ok test of kno-
>Scrum
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1498181365477.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

I'm assuming this is a select all that apply kind of thing? Otherwise #6 is the most retarded fucking question I've ever seen.

ye

>tfw I still don't understand what scrum is with the answer
FUCKING SHIT

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-14-20-54-30.png (720x1280, 87K)

They are good for helpdesk positions especially if you don't have a degree.

Better than working fast food that's for sure.

Wtf actually considering the job will pay your education? Not the same guy I live in Mexico so I guess I'm fucked up. Mol there aren't any CompSci carreers around so I'm studying math which was my first option. But I started to like programming so I feel like later I would like to learn programming to orient it towards math, or just forget math altogether

>What is a sales engineer?

It's somewhat of a hybrid role between a sales role and solutions architect. Typical roles of a sales engineer involve demonstrating products and working with clients on integrating those products into their technical environment. In a sense, you're the "brains" of the sales team and ensure that whatever is being sold will turn on and work correctly and keep the client happy.

For what it's worth, those are pretty tough in relation to the actual exam. I can't encourage Professor Messer more strongly. The guy's videos are incredibly helpful and they're free. Use techtarget.com and general Googling for other terms that you want to get deeper into. Do every single practice test that you can find, and be honest with yourself when looking over the exam objectives before taking the test. Highlight anything you aren't comfortable with and drill down more into it. It took me the longest to study for the Network+, but that's only because the Security+ builds off of it. You might consider taking the Network+ first.

These tests have a bad reputation. The latest Network+ and Security+ are not passable by the average helpdesk goon without at least a couple of months or more of serious studying.

Birthday attack

Attached: senpai.gif (245x180, 1.75M)

What the fuck man, I thought these certs were the food safety of the it world.

Attached: 16718646.jpg (597x353, 18K)

The poster earlier that went over how the tests are perceived differently between companies and parts of the world is pretty accurate. I do wish they weren't so garbage-canned on Jow Forums because they actually make sit you down and learn very useful theory and fundamentals, even the A+.

Feeling like a brainlet if you've never studied the concepts in those questions is normal. The "food safety" cert thing is bullshit. Download the course objectives and start from there - also, find a buddy or use a .edu address if you have one to buy the vouchers for 50% off.

Attached: 0gWj5oF.jpg (1536x2048, 393K)