So what's the point of smart plugs?

So what's the point of smart plugs?

Attached: Wemo-Mini-Smart-Plug-02.jpg (1200x737, 62K)

to look surprised

no they look rather terrified
like D:

Idiots buy them

To let you know what all devices you have plugged in? And remotely control whether they're active or not.

Would be nice if it also calculated how much power they were drawing and then you could get a nice graph of what appliances of draining the most electricity and take energy saving measures.

But you're probably some dumb kid that thinks everything is a meme.

what's the point of any remote control device?

get money from normies

Gadgetry for milennials.

Are you telling me that you have one of these for every single device you plug into a wall?

Another thing to be infected with viruses that will require you to jack in to clean up the device.

so I can make my dragon dildo have AI!

A smart plug has several Powe regulating uses. That adapter thing in your pic is pretty useless though, no point in having it jut out like that, should just change the wall plug itself, they're cheap.

>my nest
>camera on a switchable outlet
>yet another addition to the internet of things
>being too poor to just buy replacement smart devices that go im the wall

Attached: 1528145210723.png (1200x794, 519K)

Get a sonoff inline smart plug and reflash the firmware with the FOSS stuff available on github, or keep the stock stuff and let your amazon botnet control it.

I've got them installed on all the lamps in my house.

Attached: DSC00405.jpg (6000x4000, 1.6M)

Home automation is overrated. I feel like a luddite because I want manual control over everything but a lot of IoT shit is so pointless that it feels like they are just trying to sell you shit.

>To let you know what all devices you have plugged in?

literally pic related

Attached: 1527531677785.jpg (212x249, 11K)

the point of smartplugs is to save power and have something lit up by command, either app or voice assistant.

i have 2 plugs, 1 for my pc area and 1 for my tv/hifiamp area and it basically makes me feel safe that something is not sucking power if it's not in use

For people who want to automate their house without spending thousands to have everything in the house rewired by (((((them)))).

Having the ability to remotely monitor and kill any outlet in your house would be neat. I doubt those actually provide any power usage information (eg kill-a-watt stuff), and there's always the security concern that the average consumer will ignore. Ultimately they're probably not worth the money.

I use a bunch of basic remote-controlled plugs for some of my audio gear which I don't use all the time. I don't see why I'd want to open some phone app to use them when I can just grab the actual remote, though.

>To let you know what all devices you have plugged in? And remotely control whether they're active or not.

Well, I guess it's useful if you're living in a 12-bedroom mansion but still have to pay attention to your electricity bill.

To be a lazy cunt.

Are these smart plugs compatible with standard X10 controllers?

Posting wofags is the most retarded think anyone can do here. Check again who's dumb

This.
>wake up in middle of night during summer
>too hot to even move
>grab phone
>two taps
>window fan turns on

Attached: 1502438349000.jpg (678x931, 509K)

man you are retarded.

Managing and accounting for power consumption on a per-device (well, per socket on them) -base.

Ability to schedule or remote trigger the power on and off.

It's not like you're doing something amazing, but you can for example use a thermometer+hygrostat to turn on/off a drier in the laundry room and the same thermometer plus a soil moisture meter outside for the sprinkler for your lettuce outside.

Or turn on your rice cooker on "reheat" when you're on the way home.

>Or turn on your rice cooker on "reheat" when you're on the way home.

Attached: i_never_asked_for_this_tea.jpg (1136x1584, 214K)

Folks forgot how to clap?

There are smart plugs following standards like zigbee or z-wave [or that use WLAN and have support in multi-standards home automation software suites], but I think maybe your "X10" things don't.

it's something to sell
purchasing things these days is a pastime

>the point of smartplugs is to save power
Some countries just have switches on their sockets.

Pick up the remote for the AC sitting next to me where I put it before going to bed.
Turn the AC on.

Do they automatically turn off when your smartphone leaves the house or during work hours?

muh internet of things

>not being IoT master race
>not turning on your AC from work/school on the way to home
>computer room is nice and cool as soon as you get home

Attached: 1497912242971.png (995x1322, 1.31M)

Why do people love doing this with their credit cards so much? I've seen so many people with tons of useless trinkets get evicted from their apartment units/ rented homes. Like are some people's lives so fucking empty they need to buy things to postpone the day they neck themselves again with money they don't have? They could have collectively had next month's rent instead of all that useless shit.

Attached: Hoarding-Evictions.jpg (400x260, 58K)

> are some people's lives so fucking empty they need to buy things to postpone the day they neck themselves again with money they don't have?
Seems to me like the US citizenry generally does this. Pic related. The richfags ARE included in this number.

Other nations also consume a lot, but they do have a bit or a lot more savings.

Attached: so_rich.png (572x175, 81K)

God dam, I'm still poor with my 3K savings but at least having my credit card paid off really puts me up there as a financially responsible person. They jews know it too and have tempted me with credit increase 3 times.

>tripfag calling others dumb

Attached: ana snap.webm (640x800, 409K)

IoT was a mistake

Botnet

Neat little devices for convenience. Heater left on? Turn the plug off. The only bad thing is their insecurity because corporate jews wouldn't dare spend more money then they need to.

>Recommended alternative

Make one out of a raspberry pi zero w, a relay, and a reciprocal. Put it on a VPN and have your phone on it. As long as you are connected to the VPN, your shit won't get hacked and you can use it

Definitely. The US median and average income per family or capita isn't so low that this should have happened.

You should actually easily be able to afford households full of smart plugs and more, apart from food and TV and computers, every year. But apparently it's so much more that you go into debt.

I have a coffee maker plugged into one and the smart plug is set to turn on just before I wake up for work. I fill it with water and the grounds the night before and I wake up to fresh coffee.

You can hook it up with a thermometer and have the electric heater in your room turn on and off by itself to keep your bedroom at constant temperature within +/- 1 degree.

This webm makes me feel really uncomfortable. Like her motion is super stiff.

>Pre-ground beans
>"Fresh" coffee

That's an outlet not a plug

..But every electric heater already has efficient room control. My heater automatically turns off after it reaches a certain temperature, then it turns back on when it drops back too low.

those people are even more retarded

yes

i do it because fuck me might as well enjoy my miserable life a little bit.

i do however make sure i can actually cover my bills, but other than that i have zero savings.

but im surrounded by expensive shit like tvs and computers

Dam dude hope you get your shit together soon. Life is so unpredictable that tomorrow you could get hospitalized for a month or even god forbid die. Having no savings is probably one of the worst things you can do to your life.

So that Google and Microsoft can fetch more information from you

what's the point of having money if you die

its a clapper that doesnt go off during sex

You get to be buried with dignity and not have to be a financial strain on your wounded family. Cremations are still like 3K a pop with the funeral service.

this, botnet needs moar data

What are smart plugs? I always wished to have remotly controllable plugs. At least some, for example for a room light, so I don't have to crawl behind my couch to turn it on.

The X10 standard has been around since the late 70's my 20 year old boomer
Usually they aren't, most of them work on P2P WiFi networks on the 2.4 GHz band

My 20 year old drip has a programmable timer that does this

Is this the chick that does erotic asmr?

> The X10 standard
Well, the protocols mentioned are acknowledged by standard bodies someone gives a shit about.

Who has standardized X10? IEEE? IETF? ANSI? ITU? CEN? CENELEC? ETS?

> has been around since the late 70'
Yea, no. They did absolutely terrible signal coding back then, there's no way this can connect to a modern controller that has modern resilient and power efficient signals, encryption and so on.

Filtered :^)

she did JOI

Attached: ana-de-armas-gq-0816-07.jpg (703x896, 81K)

>his rice cooker isn't some electronic abomination that has 5 million different heating/cooking modes

Powering my rice cooker does nothing. I have to hit one of 100 buttons to get it to do anything

Of course you'd either need a rice cooker with a physical switch or a rice cooker that remembers what it was doing before it was powered down [what I have]..

Or a smart rice cooker that can be more intelligently remote-controlled.

To restart my shitty modem remotely every once in a while

So I should go out and buy 20 $50 smart plugs to help save me a couple bucks a month?

People who are too lazy to turn off their lights with a switch.

Do they sell any plugs or have settings so that lamps automatically turn on or off based on phone proximity? Would be nice for an auto on/off functionality.

Grandpa wants to clap his hands and make the lights go on and off like they do in the talkies

You need to start saving. First a $500 emergency fund, then a 6 month expenses one, then 20% for retirment.

>remote control by cutting power
I bet you're the same kid who thought hooking up your pc through a clapper is a neat idea

Mine doesn't, and the thermometer is on the heater itself, which measures the temperature near the heater, not where you're sleeping.

to give you the illiusion you're saving power by turning off the power to your devices that already have low idle power draw while in actuality adding another device that eats power in between it and the "problem that is being solved"

Wouldn't it be D=

That depends.
Do you only turn on things when you are going to use them and then turn them off after you are done? Then they don't need to automatically turn off.

On the other hand, these plugs are always drawing some power, because they need to be, while if you just switch it off at the wall you cut all power draw.

So if this is important to you then switches are the answer, not adding more phantom power devices.

>it gets infected with ransomware and starts communicating a bitcoin wallet address using morse code with your living room lamp.

To solve hard math problems

for remote house fire starting for that sweet insurance payout and lawsuit to the company.

It's so easy to have an electronic to manually install these, these 'plug n play shit looks retarded.
I personally have no need for this stuff, but they would be convenient for those away on long trips (oh shit hunny, our stove burner is on) or jews who want to save money. fun fact: even though a plugged in device is 'off' it can still be using just as much power or less, this is called 'stand by mode'. Smart homes are pretty cool, though I'd rather have it built than add stuff later.

botnet

measure the temperature in the boipussy of your qt trap

> (OP)
>Folks forgot how to clap?
Kek, don't think too many got that one!

data harvesting, ddosing, electrical grid attacks

>data harvesting, ddosing, electrical grid attacks
wtf i hate smart plugs now