Genode

Why aren't you using Genode+seL4?
Proper microkernel multiserver design with capabilities throughout.
Now with ready-to-use dynamic scenario disk image \o/
genode.org/download/sculpt

Attached: 1517502750043.png (1920x1080, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-tc
genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-18-05.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the bootable image really just 20 MiB?

Yes. No bloat there. Just microkernel awesomeness.
Just beware... it assumes internet connectivity.

Thanks for the warning.

OMG I’ve been waiting for this!!
OwO i’m gonna download it as soon as I can! Comfy microkernel OSes are finally here!

Attached: BC7CD797-D6B4-4CA1-955F-29933BDDDFE3.gif (500x333, 148K)

Going to try it now. Looks great.

Don't forget to read the docs.
genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-tc

Attached: 1500100646857.jpg (800x522, 330K)

WiFi isn't doing the thing on my ThinkBook. Gonna try tethering through USB to my phone.

Attached: 20180614_204152-1.jpg (2045x2445, 2.19M)

Got a shell or something open. On Thursdays we Kode.

Attached: 20180614_205145-1.jpg (2936x1703, 3.71M)

So I looked under bin (I think I'm operating within the RAM disk) and found Bash and VIM and stuff. Opened VIM and it's nagging me to feed niggers.

What do I do next?

This OS has down's. I think I'm done with it.

Attached: 20180614_210049-1.jpg (2852x1753, 3.26M)

That's a file. Why are you trying cd into a file?

Scratch the previous. You're doing cd /depot instead of cd depot. /depot maybe doesn't exist.

cd depot/

Attached: 1483891278001.png (671x519, 146K)

Works in other directories but not in share for whatever stupid reason. In share you have list the full path from root, so /share/depot. It's fucking retarded.

Attached: 15286346685900.png (789x750, 18K)

Why the heck doesn't the img run on QEMU? I even used the vmdk from `tar xvf`-ing the VB ova and still gets stuck after showing up the logo.

Are host and guest x86-64?

kek take a class on bash

Attached: 1526257172777.jpg (1080x793, 119K)

how would you download gcc and g++

How to actually run things? I THINK I downloaded the "wm", noux (even though I thought I already had it), and a top program, but the docs didn't really explain how to run these things

bump

Host x86_64, guest is x86. I don't think that's an issue as I was using XP last week just fine.

You have run qemu with "-machine q35".

Are you trying to trigger someone on purpose? You tried to change your working directory to /depot when that directory doesn't fucking exist. It even tells you that /depot is not valid. You then proceed to execute the directory. It then says /share/depot is a directory. If you did this on purpose, congratulations, 1/10 made me reply. Go the hell back to using fucking gooeys kiddo.

anyone?

Okay, wtf? I had never used this option before. This worked but how you came up with this wizardry? I searched their entire site and couldn't figure it.

Attached: 18.06.15-15.31_maim.png (1366x768, 235K)

How to actually run things? I THINK I downloaded the "wm", noux (even though I thought I already had it), and a top program, but the docs didn't really explain how to run these things

>Why aren't you using Genode+seL4?
I'm no... whatever kind of person benefits from that stuff.

I'm downloading them now. Maybe they are being put in the $PATH? Check if anything new has been put in /bin.

\o/

nothing else in /bin. Since I used "ram" to install the packages to, I see them in ram/depot, in the subfolders in there. For example the wm is in /ram/depot/genodelabs/bin/x86_64.
However, if I try to run /ram/depot/genodelabs/bin/x86_64/wm/2018-06-12/wm, it says "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error.

wat do?

Try pressing F12. Press again to go back to the admin interface.

tfw x230

Okay, after using it a bit, I may say it is far from being useful. Actually it's remarkably freeze prone. It freezes for being unable to change indicators such as Caps/Num lock. And it freezes on random times like changing a directory. I had the same experience with Minix and Hurd. Is this something all microkernel-based systems have in common? It doesn't have shutdown/reboot functionality.
Worst of all though, are the docs. It seems they have tried presenting the concepts more than presenting how it can be used as an actual system. They are more like paper excerpts than manual.
Also:
>It is possible to make any customization of the config file system permanent by copying the modified files to a directory named config/ on a persistent file system
It didn't worked for me.
>Please review and adjust the machine.vbox file as needed[...]
I found no machine.vbox file and so VB kept failing because it lacked RAM.

I was able to get what said to work, but I still didn't have my programs. I guess that little window with the colored bars was supposed to be the top program? I figured it'd be a bit more verbose and run in the noux terminal like top, atop, htop, etc.
The browser just flat out wouldn't start. I guess it could be because I was running it with the "virtualbox appliance" method instead of on the bare metal, so maybe it couldn't virtualize within a virtualization? Another possibility is the RAM issue you mentioned. I was getting a lot of RAM messages in that log box.
>freezing
>I had the same experience with Minix and Hurd.
really? Minix and Hurd ran very smoothly for me. My only issue with them was the fact that they lacked working software and features. Kinda like how genode was, although genode might be a bit better than those for desktop just on virtue of actually having a working browser (well, for some people)
>Worst of all though, are the docs.
I liked them up to a point. they did a decent job of describing what was going on and introducing me to the config file stuff. Unfortunately they kinda gave up after that. I wish they spent more time on getting you acquainted with how to actually use the system for basic tasks.

Read the docs, Better luck with uefi platforms.
It's the first ready-to-run demo of dynamic scenario for the curious. Genode is powerful but it isn't simple, and the current state of dynamic scenario isn't for riffraff consumption.
If you want to learn more about genode, I'd suggest reading the foundations book.
genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-18-05.pdf

Attached: 1527087238925.jpg (785x757, 237K)