Dell optisex upgrade

buying a cheap old desktop PC with a 2nd or 3rd gen i5 is the comfiest way to build a gaymen computer. take for example my dell optisex computer i bought for 80 bucks and put a 1050 ti in.

prove me wrong Jow Forums

Attached: optisex.jpg (450x360, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QlEhOZO1BgU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Done it for 4 different family members and friends. Heres one of them

Attached: HP82002.jpg (1077x808, 673K)

she already had the gpu and psu

>no rgb
>no red and black contrast
>no military inspired design
>no hardcore lines
Fugly, at least put an LED strip in there to get another 20fps at 4k

Bate? why would I add rice to a prebuilt HP with no windows though?

For the fucking fips that's why
>no windows
Good luck running 4k crysis 3 at 60 flops in linsux

Attached: optiyes-1337-gaming.png (501x869, 426K)

It's how I started getting into building rigs
Did contract work to integrate new servers for our clients and Chuck the old ones
The old ones were Dell Optiplexes running C2D chips, so I swapped the C2D for a C2Q 9550

Agree. Only thing I'd change is looking for an SFF and lobbing in pic related.
Only problem is any that pop up with a 2nd or 3rd gen i7 or even i5, with 8gb ram and a reasonable storage out of the box these days are being asked for too much. There's the few cheapies that might only have a single undersized HDD and 4gb of ram, but aren't as cost effective when factoring in these upgrades.
I haven't seen too many optisex bargains in Australia for a while.

Attached: images (17).jpg (429x343, 13K)

>i5
>not an i7
op is a fag

T-that spoiler isn't really on the computer is it?

Well, how else do you propose keeping the rear of the case from lifting at 160mph?

I ran a 1050TI in an OptiPlex 990 (SFF / i7 2600 / 16GB RAM / 250GB SSD) for about a year. Played some Blizzard games, no problem.

Moved the 1050TI to a Precision T1700 (SFF / i7 4700 / 32GB RAM / 500GB SSD), we'll see how well it works, given that the GPU is now in a 4X slot.

Ran uengine heaven on it for about 72 hours and haven't had any problems, so we'll see...

are the power supplies good enough to power an r9 280 in these?

Doubt. They only come with a PSU less than 300w. AFAIK the tower optiplex like in OP uses an ATX form PSU, so there's upgrade paths there.
Main reason I stick to 1050 and 1050ti is because they only need to be powered through the PCIe port. Still, 1050ti with an i7 makes for a damn competent 1080p gaming potato.

quick and dirty, a older 1st gen zen with fast ram used would be the go.

damn that rig reminds me of like 4 years ago when i had a 750ti i put in a hp prebuilt with a 6300fx

He meant no window on the case you dumb cunt

Attached: 1400736733366.gif (290x189, 1.04M)

Don't put a 1050ti in them. The PCI slot for some models doesnt supply more than 45w of power.

Better off getting a 1060 and a PSU.

(Unless you manage to find a gtx 1050 that takes external power)

I have a dell t3500 with an x5690 and a 1070. Runs great. Got a lenovo m93p with a low profile 1050ti and a 4570 too.

I think its cheaper just to build a new budget build.

If youre buying used, you still have to buy a new hard drive, a new gfx card, and optionally a new psu. And you still have to worry about something breaking down.

The best savings comes from buying new and then using a moderately decent graphics card you already have lying around.

>Computing Hardware
>Nothing moves
B.breaking down

Attached: 1528755959113.jpg (480x488, 46K)

It's not worth it. I bought one to do the same and it has just been a constant pain in the ass because the motherboard is a piece of shit, proprietary connectors on literally everything, (welded on) hard drive tray makes it hard to fit a GPU, can't have both a GPU and the front USB ports in at once because of gigantic cables etc etc
It's easier to just buy equivalent parts separately and put them together yourself

CPU performance has come quite a ways.

G5400 is on par with i5-4460.
youtube.com/watch?v=QlEhOZO1BgU