/gtg/ - Jow Forumsternet General

What is Jow Forumsternet?
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
Jow Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, totally disconnected from the clearnet.
It will be a combination of DIY meshnets on a city wide basis, and a platform for interconnecting these city wide meshnets over p2p openvpn bridges and high powered wireless dishes for City to City relays.
The Inter-Meshnet part of the project will allow any existing DIY meshnets to join our network by adding a bridge node or a city to city relay.
The short term goal is to have a few anons set up their own local meshnet and link them together using the bridges as a proof of concept.
A long term goal is gain a large enough user density that we can disable the brige nodes and have our own decentralized network idependent of the internet.
>tl;dr we're gonna connect city meshes through the internet until we have enough people to disconnect from the internet entirely

Talk about:
>Finding friends to link with
>Linking meshes over VPN
>Decentralization/distribution of all layers of protocol, from network itself to end-user applications
Please try to keep names/logos to a minimum.

Links:
>Map (for finding all your Jow Forumsternet pals and establishing nodes): zeemaps.com/view?group=2784880
>IRC (contains news, it's the best way to talk to the dev): irc.jollo.org SSL port 9999, channel #gternet
>Wiki (read and edit it): mesh.gentoo.today
>Git (sign up and contribute): git.gternet.me
>Previous threads: qt.catbox.moe/4c6fb8
>Pastebin: qt.catbox.moe/638937

Protocol: BATMAN-adv for now using IPv6

Every well-intentioned contribution is valuable! Get your friends and neighbours in on this.

Attached: mesh network.png (506x392, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zeemaps.com/view?group=2784880
gternet.byethost8.com/map_old.php
zeemaps.com/view?group=2787145
gternet.byethost8.com/map_new.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Interested.

lmao, dumbest idea i've ever seen on Jow Forums

Fuck off with your summer pipe dreams

kys nsa

In a previous thread I suggested we could run cables instead of buying very expensive and unreliable wireless bridges.
Yesterday I watched a sci-fi movie (WarGames) and realized there's usable infrastructure in the ground that we could repurpose for our network: phone lines. We could make computers talk to each other over the phone, we only need simple hardware to turn digital data into analog sound and vice versa. We don't even need user density to do that, because there's phone lines all around the world and one person could simply call any another to connect.

Attached: gee.png (491x491, 396K)

Bandwidth will be shit

Speed will be shit, but the lower speeds will mean it's capable of more traffic. It's not the worst idea.

The map is kill

Attached: image.png (1175x169, 17K)

Does someone have the raw data?

Who needs bandwidth if you have good compression and bare-bones websites? Do away with all this CSS and JavaScript nonsense, keep plain HTML. Sure, we won't have video streaming, but why do we need instant videos anyway? We could set up an offline video sharing network. Write them to physical media and distribute those. Maybe we'll actually meet people irl for once.

>meet people irl
scary

We dont need a universal solution for connecting nodes. Lets just collect a whole bunch of suggestions and use the best one for each instance.

>Jow Forumsternet and not alternative internet.
Thread is already dead.

Sorry to sound like a fag but im a normie who isnt into linux, is there a windows version or could i run gternet thru a vm?

Here's link to map backups. Better map soon™.
>Old map
zeemaps.com/view?group=2784880 (frozen)
gternet.byethost8.com/map_old.php (readonly)

>New map
zeemaps.com/view?group=2787145 (frozen)
gternet.byethost8.com/map_new.php (readonly)

>We dont need a universal solution for connecting nodes
Sure not. We started with openVPN, now tinc is being tested, cjdns in early test, soon onioncat. At some point we'll have guides with pro and cons of different methods, then it's up to you to pick the one that suits best your scenario.

>could i run gternet thru a vm
right now I'm testing this on a netbook, with linux live from usb. VM should not be much different, but if you want to play more, you'd need 2+ devices to make things happen. Old pc or laptops that can boot off usb are good.

bump

Will the FBI shoot my dog if I become a part of this?

nah, you and you're doge will be fine.
Join us!

Yeah, the old fashion way. I am not familiar with modems but I guess that is what we need for the hardware part. Old phreakers could help us now, at least we have all the knowledge they left us.

>phone lines
then why not powerlines ? You get much better speed, and it's even more common than phone lines.

I like were this is going.

Can you please not use Tinc?

page 8

Attached: ronja.jpg (724x543, 93K)

is there a IRC or Disc this is being discussed/planned in? I'm keen

t. 1990's

Attached: mesh10.png (1240x1754, 1.19M)

irc.jollo.org +9999 #gternet

>not use Tinc
what's wrong with tinc ? We're evaluating different methods of intermeshing, so you won't be forced to use just one.

What if there's no one else where I live?

I refuse to participate until a logo has been agreed on

>What if
You can make a working setup yourself, show it to your friends and make them interested in it. Those who are interested will join and do the same.

>logo
we already have Kali.

>Kali
I liked Pepe with an antenna on its head but I have to agree, Kali a cute.

What said.
Kali is indeed a cutie.