/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous thread:

Attached: Leica-13.jpg (2400x1600, 413K)

Other urls found in this thread:

damasko-watches.com/us/models/chronographs/sporty/dc56black
youtu.be/rL0_vOw6eCc
youtube.com/watch?v=FdxbysUSSAM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I really love my Seiko SKX. What are other watches with a similar quality price ratio?

I'm checking out the Cocktail now but its a bit too formal for me. I would buy a Turtle or Samurai but those are too big for me 42mm is my limit.

Attached: 1528094677247.jpg (1600x1200, 368K)

Amphibia with 24 hour dial. Which version should I get? he black dial or the full lume? Which one will be more visible when diving? I heard the normal amphibia lume is piss poor, will the full lume dial improve that?

Attached: 1529022490149.jpg (1200x720, 204K)

all lume because it looks less generic

SNK809k2

/wt/, ultra poorfag here.
Should I buy a chink homage(Explorer I/Panerai Luminor) from Parnis/Alpha or save up a bit and get a Mako/SKX?

Do you mean mechanical only? If not, the Citizen BN0150/0151 are really good value for money, though large.

If you aren't stuck on ISO certification you should look at the Orient Ray.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180612_121111.jpg (2408x2408, 2.27M)

Save

not saying that all swiss watches are good, just that many good watches are swiss (and the particular one I want).
funnily enough that's what I've just done

Tudor Black Bay vastly exceeds it in quality to price ratio.

I want to buy a chink mechanical for a gift.

What's the cheapest thing that won't crap out in a few months?

only relative to how absurdly marked up luxury watches are

Forgot to say, high WR isn't a must have for me; I chose SKX/Mako as more expensive alternatives just because I prefer those designs by these companies.
Except that and the lume, Parnis stuff has a better quality/price ratio, with equivalent movements, sapphire crystal and bracelets with solid end links.
(pic related is the panerai homage, with seagull st36)

Attached: chinkunitas.jfif.jpg (1536x2048, 416K)

If you want cheap, a $50-70 Seiko 5 is your best bet. If you want Chinese and reliable, you'll have to pay more.

Tudor watches are not Rolex watches.
Tudor belong in the price range they are put in, maybe even a little below that as well because they don't have an interesting history or heritage.

History and heritage aren't quality.

But price is also determined by heritage and history. Tudor is overvalued because of its ties to Rolex, but I don't think the ties to Rolex make them deserve being that high priced, because they didn't do anything interesting by themselves. The way I see it, Tudor is good, not great, quality watches without the heritage package, and as such I think they are overpriced.

>tudor don't have an interesting history or heritage

Attached: fucking retard (4).jpg (333x378, 23K)

Heritage isn't part of value. If a brand prices its warches higher because of history, it makes it a worse value.

>buy watch
>entire dial isn't aligned

Attached: lmaoi.jpg (800x600, 111K)

Duh, it even says it's a Polex

would you pay $500 for win10 due to microsoft's heritage and history?

But they do, and on reputation.

>working on shitty Police fashion shitter
>search for picture of watch to see where the red small hand goes
>find this
>10:09:33
>more like 33 and 1/4
>24 hour subdial on midnight
yurusanai

Attached: police_13668j.jpg (1200x1200, 128K)

Attached: Shaq laughing.gif (320x240, 930K)

Also I just noticed that printing on the date wheel. What the fuck. The real one doesn't look like that, it's part of the Seiko Instruments movement.

i brought my Seamaster into an AD for service recently and they sent it to Omega

The new ones have in-house movement

>police
>chrono
>misaligned hands

Attached: microexpressions-disgust.jpg (524x336, 26K)

Hi guys
What do you wear today?

Attached: IMG_20180615_143628.jpg (3480x4640, 3.87M)

this my newfriend is a German made Damasko DC 56 Black with a NATO style bracelet.
>damasko-watches.com/us/models/chronographs/sporty/dc56black

Attached: 1817645810_44ce7d321b_o.jpg (700x467, 277K)

How can I open this? It's stuck. Fucking Seiko

Attached: IMG_20180615_134610.jpg (1514x2296, 593K)

GREASE UP BOY

>somebody paid about 200$ for this

Jesus christ, you can sell almost everything to these peasants if your marketing is right.
No wonder the kikes think that we are sheep.

Also
>that movement
Noticed that this quartz chrono movement with 24h indicator is very often used in fashion garbage watches. Armani, Fossil, etc.

Its a cheap movement, even the discounter watches from Aldi use it.
I started noticing it, after my dad got me a sempre watch for 15€, when he went to buy smokes. Based dad.

Attached: kw2518_mo_40_db.jpg (388x314, 55K)

Press the buttons on the side.

Even Seiko does it though, they literally ruined the Giugiaro reissues by using a garbage movement.

Attached: seiko-giugiaro-design-spirit-smart-1.jpg (750x565, 143K)

Is it normal that a miniscule amount of condensation appears inside the watch chrystal when the watch is subjected to relatively quick temperature changes?

GET A SCREWDRIVER, Stick it under the clasp and press full force, it should open after some tries.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/rL0_vOw6eCc
Kino

Attached: 1493102404721.jpg (450x600, 66K)

Yea back to the classic non meme OP is refreshing. Bullhead today.

Attached: bullhead_leather.jpg (831x664, 66K)

>shitter

>Kino
I've started seeing that in a few places, what does it mean? Is it like ASMR?

if you're watch is under $100 then its acceptable.

I have not much info on this model. Do you mean the addition of the date?
I read just now that the original one also was some seiko chrono quartz. So they made a newer one with a similar chrono quartz.
So the only thing that would bug me, is the datewindow.

Vostoks report in.

Attached: IMG_5816.jpg (3264x2448, 2.09M)

This worked. Now the strap goes in the bin where it belongs

cool watch. This is a mod right? I cant buy one like that?

Alright, I ran it through the cleaning machine yesterday. I really want to put it together but I shouldn't until the new mainspring comes in, because then I have to take it apart again. The golden rule of watch repair is the more time you fuck around with something the more likely you are to break it.

The original had the 7A28 movement which was fucking amazing. The original right subdial was a 1/10 second subdial, now it's a useless 24 hour one, with a horribly placed date window.

Seriously why the fuck didn't Seiko put it to 4:30, or 6 even?

Attached: 20180608_134523.jpg (4160x2340, 2.72M)

Meranom will fit any parts you want so long as you pay for the parts and pay $5 for them to fit them. The $5 includes anything, not each part. So say you want a different dial, hands, bezel and case back you still only pay $5. Pretty decent deal.

So the slavs now build frankens directly at the factory.

Such horological value!

It's a /tv/ meme/catchphrase. It is the german/russian equivalent of the cinema preffix in english and is used to design the highest form of motion picture photography.

For example:
>BLACKED.COM is absolute kino

>So the slavs now build frankens directly at the factory.
Meranom isn't the factory, but you already knew that, and don't pretend like franken Seikos aren't a big thing too.

>Such horological value!
Glad you agree.

Don't ever insult any Vostok ever again.

oh i see the problem now. Yeah, that would piss me off too, if i was a fan of the original.
Yep, seiko is retarded. They could have put the original movement in and sold it easily to fans, even for a higher price.
I bet those cheap faggots didnt want to invest into the revival of the old movement.
But im not suprised, basedko is known for regularly discontinuing models, for no reason, even if they sold nicely.

>wondering why things aren’t aligned due to distortion caused by a magnifying glass
kek

Do you mean mechanical only? If not, the Seiko SNE437 is a really good value for money, though large.

If you aren't stuck on ISO certification you should look at the Orient Ray.

Attached: omegafinishing.jpg (1500x1500, 333K)

delet this

Attached: IMG_1432.jpg (2155x2268, 1.05M)

that day indicator makes my dick hard!

Who is this semen demon? I rememebr fapping to her about 5 years ago.

So I was able to acquire this. Thx anons who pointed out that japs don't use the reference in their listings. Now for the wait.

Attached: 4.jpg (1029x853, 251K)

Good job glad I could help.

>So the slavs now build frankens directly at the factory.
>Such horological value!
Relax. They're cheap and fun, and the customizability is half the appeal. Expecting horological purity out of $100 watches is silly.

Why would anyone pay $400 for one of those when the BN0150/0151 is $150?

You can get them new for $225 on eBay

Heh, you two just got pranked. Better luck next time!

Attached: IMG_20180423_123611.jpg (3264x2448, 1.21M)

very, very nice

The original question still stands: Why pay $225 for that solar Seiko when then BN0150/0151 is $150? Aside from aesthetics, which are in any case a matter of taste, is there anything feature wise that the Seiko does better?

it looks better

Attached: 1523831790652.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

That watch makes me moist.

Attached: li23htou2ht928gjwigihj.jpg (1652x1558, 543K)

comes with a stainless bracelet

HAHAHAHA TEHSE FUCKING DEGENERATES PAID FOR AND PUT DOGSHIT ON THEIR WRISTS

GET A REAL FUCKING WATCH OR DONT GET ONE AT ALL FUCKING IDIOTS

Here's some true watch kino

youtube.com/watch?v=FdxbysUSSAM

Attached: 25023706_1569053936475512_8837891850091102208_n.jpg (1080x1080, 132K)

Attached: see-this-trophy-your-mom-gave-it-to-me-last-12944251.png (500x763, 208K)

That's a matter of personal taste, and I don't say how paying $75 more based on looks makes it anything like a comparable value to the Citizen.

I have many watches. When it comes to watches under $500 I just buy what I want. If $75 is a lot of money for you then get the one that's cheaper, I am not saying there is anything "wrong" with the citizen

You realize that the original question was about maximizing price to quality ratio, yes? Whether or not $75 is a lot of money for me is entirely besides the point.

ah ok fair enough I was not following along closely enough.

yes on that measure the citizen is the better watch in this situation

>doubled snri dosage recently
>doubled lorazepam dosage last night

>Wake up with an email from haveston.com with a confirmation of $51 worth of NATO straps

i don't even remember fucking doing it

Attached: these-pictures-of-daniel-radcliffe-walking-12-dog-2-20750-1404305793-40_dblbig.jpg (625x415, 118K)

Could be worse. Post pictures when you get them.

it's the xanax, snris won't do that. If you are taking enough xanax to cause memory gaps you need to back the fuck off of it. Coming off that shit is hell, nobody should ever be on it for more than a few months straight

Attached: Sreen Shot 2018.png (2090x1434, 1.59M)

>seiko males

Attached: Capture+_2018-06-15-16-55-57.png (1439x2191, 2.85M)

how can he see at that photo and think he looks good?

everybody’s different user

and some of us are fat and ugly as shit and should not publish photos of ourselves

having opinions

Attached: 65465de54f58f4e425d5.jpg (1412x1266, 365K)

Honestly the photo itself isn't that bad
That comment, however

Attached: 1509868146419.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

i woke up once having ordered 3 daytonas. it was the russian hooker's vaginal residue that really did it though, it smelled like a corpse (she likely had a perilous disease and was suffering from necrotizing fasciitis).

easy to cancel the orders, not easy to get the memory of dead human flesh I'd fucked out my olifactory senses.

and that's how one becomes asexual.

what are people's take on the Tudor 58?

Attached: 58 2.jpg (1940x1300, 221K)

it's pretty bad user, his face looks like a watermelon made of fat with a goatee

That's not true on a few accounts. First tudor is much less than Rolex, not 1/2 but nearly. Second Tudor's quality is better than Rolex was when a Rolex cost what Tudor costs now. Their movements (even their ETA modifications) are very good, the quality is good, and they look great without anyone knowing what you are wearing.

The only knocks against Tudor is the Tudorfag here and #borntodare

Tudor is overvalued the same way that everything that isn't a Seiko, Orient, Citizen is overvalued. But it's a lot of watch at the low end of the luxury spectrum.

What is Paralax for $1000?

Can I ask you a question about a used watch I just bought watchmakerbro?

I unirconally think the Tudor Pelagos is a better watch than the 40mm Rolex Submariner even if they were the same price.

Take that bottom paragraph of text off the tudor and it would nearly be the perfect watch

Yes, though you probably bought GARBAGE!!!

and get rid of the helium release valve, make it a bit thinner and yeah I completely agree with you.

Tudor's quite literally Rolex. Same brand. Same ownership. Different name. Different factory.

Are you an imbecile?

Well yeah I did. It's a Mumbai Special, JLC k885 movement is correct, dial face is likely fake but it's not printed, case is a Favre Leuba. Keeps really good time but occasionally it will just stop (only when I'm wearing it, not when it's sitting). It's manual wind and not hacking.

>dial face is likely fake

then the watch is worthless.

>and get rid of the helium release valve, make it a bit thinner and yeah I completely agree with you.
I don't think it's too thick for me, but yeah the helium valve is a meme

just found this pic of the (old?) ETA version with 2 lines of text instead of 4. Is the ETA thinner?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 10.44.08 AM.png (524x694, 233K)

If I tap the watch with my finger a few times it will start running again. Sometimes it will stop and just start again and I only notice because it's magically 15min off. Otherwise it's less than 30seconds a day off and I haven't adjusted it.

The BB58 is probably the best mechanical watch you can buy new for $3,500, period.

People talking shit about the quality or value proposition of Tudor's in-house models should dismissed as absolutely clueless.

Yeah I don't care what it's worth. I care about how it runs.

I don't think it is thinner. Their version of the ETA is really nice so the only reason I'd buy the new "in house movement" one is because it might be worth more someday because it's the first generation of their in house movement.