Are laptops really THAT bad at gaming?

I know that PC is simply better that laptops when it comes to gaming but are laptops really bad at gaming?
I'm about to buy a laptop in about 3-4 days from now and I really don't want to get a disappointing laptop that can't even run games like fallout 4 and the Witcher 3.
Pic related is called "businessmen laptop" and is said to be good for gaming, is that true?
I don't necessarily want a laptop that can run games at REALLY HIGH GRAPHICS or some shit.
I just want one to run games smoothly with a nice price.

Attached: 2015-635849194051177165-117.jpg (640x480, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

>delete this stupid thread.
How new

How did you come to that conclusion?

desu latest laptops have gtx1060 which is good enough for gaming
if you cant afford it then gtfo

you're underage please leave this board

No, you simply can't upgrade most of them lime you can do with a desktop and you're generally paying more for less performance

A laptop with a 1050ti/1060 will be able to play anything recently at 1080p, and will last until the next console generation comes out. Just make sure you read the reviews and find one that's good at staying cool.

>mobile 1060 is the same as a desktop 1060
You're retarded.

Laptops are fine for most gaming needs. I have a 400€ 13" Lelnovo with some i3 with Iris GPU and it plays pretty much anything that isn't cheapened by the fact that it's a laptop with "colored shades of gray"-tier 13" TN display with a 4key rollover shit keyboard. I have a desktop with a 1060 that's now mostly just used for Catia and AutoCAD, since new games just objectively suck balls. And besides, for LAN parties it doesn't matter, since I can't name a single bigger game aside from Assetto Corsa from the last 5 years to feature LAN support

>I just want one to run games smoothly with a nice price.

You can have this, but only if your nice price os £700 - £800 or whatever that is in yank bux.

I have a pretty decent gaming laptop and it runs OK, but it isn't quite the ticket. Even with big rear radiators it just can't dump enough heat.
For the price of a gaymen laptop you could have a tower that kicks the shit out of your craptop. A nominally lower spec tower would still beat a higher spec laptop because of the heat issue. I was, naturally, aware of all this and got it anyway because need to be mobile. But as soon as I'm off the streets I will build a tower. Gaming laptops are a suck, they still try to make them even smaller. The only gaming laptops that are half decent are ones with big (HUGE) fucking radiators out the ass, and even then you will need a stand. I play Witcher 3 on high and when I opened my lappy the fans had scorch marks. Think about it.

You can't delete threads

Yes you can

Yes you can.

I Tavel a lot so a desktop is a no no
How much is it?

"No!"

There is only 1.
Also this thread is still 1000x better than a watch thread.

Are you dumb? Look it up yourself

Whoever tells you laptops are bad for gaming never moved on from 2010...

Attached: 1426169274718.jpg (544x409, 27K)

>i3
When did you buy your laptop?
And does it run 2017 games?

For a decent gaming laptop that doesn't look like a god damn monster truck, you can google the XPS 15. That one has a 1050ti and 16 gigs of RAM.

Tbh they are so expensive simply because they look like regular computers. The Razer Blade is 2000+

Decent games work on any toaster. You'll only miss the games that have nothing except the graphics.

This

I'd say Laptops are bad for gaming if you live in a very hot place

I use laptops for gaming since 2006.

What are you asking here for? Look up benchmarks for your picked laptop/game combination, see if the framerate is enough for you.

If you don't mind playing in 800x600 with lowest settings anything that has a real graphics card (not integrated) will do.

Max your ram, one of the few things you can improve.

How are they?
Still good for gaming?

Performance is almost the same retard

Why don't people just buy a used laptop?
It's much less the price but with the same performance

Better than ever.

Mobile versions of GPUs used to be pretty much different chips, now they are simply desktop chips with stricter thermals.

Regular or gaming laptops?

Yes they are because even with 1337 cooling they have something called TDP throttles which engage heavily when on battery but still engage while plugged in. Normally this would smoothly apply if you used your CPU only but when both the CPU and GPU are engaged, they'll fight over electricity and you'll end up with the clock frequencies of the CPU and GPU varying so much it will cause stuttering on top of the already intolerable lagging.

Typical gaymen pc wattage: CPU: 100W, GPU: 200W

typical gaymen laptop wattage: CPU: 15-45W, GPU:45-100W

This can all be bypassed by extremely clunky 21" screen laptops with mini-itx power supplies and huge heatsinks but by then all portability associated with a laptop is completely destroyed.

Regular laptops of course. They still run everything.

not the same but still good enough to run most games at 720p 60. also look at reviews about heat and throttling, some laptops are designed all pretty but have retarded thermal management, so if what you're buying is brand new, wait at least a few weeks till reviews are out.

> Pic related is called "businessmen laptop" and is said to be good for gaming, is that true?
Eliteboks feature an ExpressCard slot, so they can be, if you're willing to understand how to set up an external GPU. Mobile GPUs are weak, unless you're willing to spend $800 or more for something modern with top of the line Vega GPU or 1050/1050Ti.

External GPUs suffer from input lag and insufficient bandwidth (pcie is 16-32GB/s) on top of the huge CPU bottleneck from the 2-3 GHz laptop CPU which can be made worse if it thermal throttles and dips clock frequencies often (ie macbook).

/thread

Check out Acer’s Nitro laptop. Go for the 4gb 1050ti version

You're the retard laptops have desktop GPU chips in them hahah you don't know ANYTHING idiot

>laptops are not PCs
install gentoo

Picked up an MSi laptop with a gtx 1060 for £600, an equivalent performance pc would have been 800 minimum

2 years ago, and not really if you mean the likes of PUBG or Battlefront2. It's about on par with the new AMD 2200U APU, just with shittier GPU drivers and 500mhz less on the CPU. It's not like the CPU is the problem anyway, Iris GPUs are literally two 530s slapped together and some L4 cache to make it not suck as much. But hey, specwise it was a 2016 Macbook 13" on paper for not even 400€, with the minor difference that it doesn't throttle.

YES thermals and shit Intel low clocked quad cores are useless hence why Zen and amd entered the segment this year and egpus took off

I used my 1749 from that era all the way till 2015 for gaming faggot the 5650m was a beast with the i5 4 thread

Attached: 151021234223.jpg (1308x1398, 705K)

Get a laptop that has a good processor and a thunderbolt port on it,

Make an eGPU rig, so that when you want to play games at home, you can, and when you want to be portable, you just unplug the GPU and head out.

An eGPU setup will perform much better than a GPU shoved into a laptop.

Inferior to desktop?
You bet your ass sweetie
But it's not that terrible
Small screen means you don't really have to max out shit,I find myself playing Dota and Planet coaster during travel and down times

This is an old meme, you can get laptops with full 1070s in them now but they have ass battery life.

They are, just with a low power profile.

Oh wow a ancient 3 year old gpu with 14nmfinfet

weak

>almost
just like rc cola is "almost" like coke

games are subjective. If you play old stuff then a a system that lacks a discrete GPU is perfect.
Any business-class machine can absolutely tear ass with Unreal Tournament '04 or older games, but the latest cawadooty not so much.
However, what kills laptops is heat and games make the CPU generate quite a bit of heat.

Basically people who say "you can't play games on this/its a business machine" have no idea what they're talking about. You can play games on anything, whether they will run enough to be fun to play is an entirely different story.

pic related, it's a 1995 DOS racing game running on an automotive diagnostic platform/exhaust sniffer at 60 FPS

Attached: IMG_20160602_122433.jpg (1536x2048, 594K)

It's literally the same chip

>smoothly
>laptop
>nice price
Pick two
It’s an all around worse value than building a desktop and buying a cheap laptop for mobile office and browsing.

>mobile versions of parts
>heat obviously an issue
>worse build quality (plastic everywhere)
>ends up being a desktop anyway because of battery
>can’t replace basically anything
>if you can, usually have to use an identical part
>it’s going to cost more for all this at the same specs

Laptops aren't bad at gaming unless you're trying to run new titles and why the fuck would you want to play new titles?

laptops aren't bad at gaming but they tend to be a good deal more expensive than a desktop would be
you can usually build a much more powerful desktop for the less money and buy an off-lease business laptop with the remaining money you would've spent anyway
if it absolutely needs to be a laptop and/or you have the money to spend on it, by all means, grab a laptop. they're completely capable, just a little more expensive

Yes it is my 2ghz 1080 shits over everything except a Vega 64 wc and titan v

>Gaming laptops then
Heavy, shit battery life, loud, either fucking expensive or built from cardboard, worse performance than a desktop, will cook itself in 2 years
>Gaming laptops now
Heavy, shit battery life, loud, either fucking expensive or built from cardboard, worse performance than a desktop, will cook itself in 2 years

Build a desktop and then upgrade or service it as needed.

>Pic related is called "businessmen laptop" and is said to be good for gaming, is that true?
Pic related has an ATI Radeon Mobile 5750 equivalent which can run something like Diablo 3 at around 30 fps at 800x600. Considering the resolution of these laptops is 1600x900 no it's not suited for gaming at all.

i3 patrician choice for battery life

New gaming laptops are excellent. The "gaming laptops" meme is from 10 years ago

Unless you want to spend over 1000+ dollars on it you will get a laptop that can barely run skyrim. Most laptops have shitty specs, I bet even your phone is already much more powerful than whatever you will get

Unless you wanna spend a fortune on it get ready to receive a shitty 1.67GHz dual core with crappy integrated graphics

If recent AAA games (that is, games that are also being released on PS4+XB1) cannot be played at a quality that the average person would say looks good and at a framerate that the average person would find fun, it makes sense to say that you "can't play games" with the machine in question.

Nobody is interested in your pedantic "well technically I can play games on my 1986 calculator" speech.

>buy gaymer laptop like a faggot
>spend $1800
>gpu fails in a week after your 1 year warranty is up
Why the fuck would you waste your money on this ticking time bomb of hot garbage?

Step1

Click the "Reply" link to the top right of the first post in the thread. This is located next to the date and post number and is contained inside square brackets.

Step2

Check the box in the top post of the thread. The box is located between the image and the text for the post.

Step3

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. If cookies are enabled on your browser, the "Password" box fills in automatically with a randomly generated password. Leave this box alone. Click the "Delete" button to the right of the "Password" box. This deletes the thread in its entirety.

Gaming laptops being shit meme is old, Pascal changed everything. GPUs run at slightly lower speeds than what the reference desktop specs are and new CPUs boost to around 4GHz. My little over a year old laptop with 1060 boosts to around 1600MHz on demanding games and can keep around 2000MHz on older titles that don't tax the cores that much. CPU is Skylake and boosts to only 3GHz, but it is still plenty. Newer CPUs boost to levels equal to chips like i5 8400. Now with Ryzen we have healthy competition that has come over to the laptop market.

>has only 1 year warranty
Feels good being european with free 2 year warranty

Attached: certified shit wrecker.jpg (386x495, 41K)

To be fair, $1000 is about what you need to spend to get a desktop PC that provides a competitive gaming experience to a $400 Xbox 1 X. And to really make it worthwhile you'll want to go $300-400 above that. You could literally buy three X1Xs and have some money left over for games for the price of a solid gaming PC.

I love PC gaming, but it isn't a cheap hobby and never has been. Almost everyone buying/building a "budget gaming rig" is not making a sensible decision given the console options available.

>not the same but still good enough to run most games at 720p 60
Right, which is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Rip your testes if you play on your lap, but you're not that big of a pleb right?

I have never had a laptop work well for more than 3 years. They often suck at games due to power profiles, shitty cards and limited ability to repair failed components. If your hands are any bigger than a rhesus monkey's you will not be able to reassemble your laptop. Compare that to my desktop which is still going STRONG at 5 years now, cost 700 bucks to upgrade all my shit from my last build. That's like 40% of the cost of my work laptop which has better specs than my desktop, however the work laptop is already showing signs of failing after a year. Why do laptops suck?

I had the one in your pic OP for 3 years at my last job and every second spent using it made me want to die. That probably is due to the job tho.

Attached: wait_wat.gif (459x258, 3.99M)

I bought my laptop for around £900 back in 2015 and it can play World of Warships on low settings with ease. I could probably up the graphics a little but I don't feel the need because I'm happy the way it is. The laptop shipped with 8gb memory and I stuck another 8gb in it as soon as I got it, so bear that in mind.

I'm say you'll be looking at around just under 1k for what you want.

>I have never had a laptop work well for more than 3 years.

that's you.

All I can really call on is my own experience with comped work laptops. Current one is only slow due to awful IT group. ThinkPad P50 with Xeon E3-1505M 8x2.8 GHz, Nvidishit Quadro M2000M. Used for heavy 3D CAD and excel. Autodesk is shit though and I believe the source of my system instability issues.

What kind of gaming will you even do? I've got a laptop from 2015 and I can run any game with 40-60 fps at 1080p with enough tweaks. Never sacrifice render distance, just turn down all the effects if you have to, set water and shadows to minimum. Gtx 950m, i7 with 8gb of ram, I know I can get far cry 5 and the last star wars battlefront to work, bet I could run bf5 when it launches. Do you need 4k or something?

I game fine on my GNU/Linux Thinkpad.

>I know that PC is simply better that laptops

A pc is just another name for computer. A pc is just not a desktop.

While gaming laptops may have gotten to the point where they're reasonably good, they are by no means the perfect combo machine. I personally had a Lenovo Y510p that I bought for university in 2013, got it on sale midway through first year, replacing an HP-Compaq CQ56. It was actually a pretty sick machine for the time, had a Core i7-4700MQ and a GT 750M graphics card. You could even order it with two GT 750Ms, in SLI, for maximum space heater. Even with the single GPU (I cheaped out), you could get 100+ FPS on Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 with everything maxed out, 60+ FPS on Battlefield 3 with high settings, and even Crysis 3 managed a solid 50 FPS on high settings.

The problem is, for the price that I paid ($1000 Canadabux, which at the time was par with the US dollar) I could have built a desktop that was better at gaming, and a laptop that was better at being a laptop. The Y510p was always a pain in the ass to haul around. Its battery life was no better than my brother's Thinkpad T500 (6-cell), it was clunky and heavy with a huge 130W power brick, the keyboard was trash, the screen bounced around, and the touchpad was so bad that I resorted to carrying around a wireless mouse to use during lectures (no trackpoint obviously). One of my floormates had a fairly inexpensive desktop build that still outperformed the Y510p in every game, and more importantly, it was upgradable. On top of all this, using the computer for what it was designed to do, namely play games, shortened its life. Around late 2016 I began to have issues with the OS crashing at random, and by 2017 the graphics card died completely. Prolonged heat damage.

You may say I could have bought an even more expensive (ie better) gaming laptop, but by the time you are spending $1,500 to $2,000 on these... why not just drop $1,200 on a good desktop, then another $300 on a used Macbook Air? You'll get a much better overall experience from both.

Attached: DSC_0923_copy.jpg (3820x2543, 2.21M)

>Pic related is called "businessmen laptop" and is said to be good for gaming, is that true?
You'd do good to think of the good laptops of today as the mediocre to shit-tier desktops of 10 years ago. Laptops are plenty powerful these days, but a 5 year old used pre-built desktop will knock the socks off any of them. Desktop machines are generally faster since those components like the boards and chipsets are designed for maximum performance at the expense of higher power draw and more heat, but they're attached to the wall and have large heat sinks and fans so they can handle it. Laptops are built with more finely tuned power management in mind to maximize battery life, and nearly all of them will thermal throttle due to the tiny amount of space inside them and the relatively shitty cooling solutions.

>I just want one to run games smoothly with a nice price.
Any dual core Intel machine, even with just an iGPU, from about 2012 onwards will run most games that are 10 years or older at acceptable speeds. Obviously it helps to have a better monitor with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz, but that's beside the point. I have an X230 running Linux and I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 in WINE whenever I'm bored. It's from 2005 and it works great with all the settings maxed out.

Attached: n2oaaG.jpg (221x250, 5K)

yes, heat and poor power delivery prevent laptops from being any good

>You're retarded

Attached: 1525138426204.jpg (720x736, 94K)

PCs can last more than a single generation, they have more titles availables, have mods, emulators, and cheaper games/piracy. Not to mention the fact Xboxes are useless for anything other than games. Consoles are scam, they sell you outdated, locked down hardware at a loss to rip you off with expensive games and online fees.

Problem with gayming laptops are that they last 2 years, then you'd have to open the entire piece of shit and re-apply thermal paste yourself or just burn it to death at around 2 years 7 months

But not my watercooled dual Titan X's with modded bios fag. We could argue with our wallets all we want but a 1060 and 1070 are good. I upgraded from a laptop with a 970m to a 1060 and even that change was a large bump.

In my experience you can get a laptop that will run every current game decently, and then after an year you will start to notice you can't max out newer games, two years and you have to start lowering even the games you played maxed out when you bought the laptop.
Three to four years later and its garbage even when doing regular cleanups.

I've never had a laptop below 15'6 so that's not a problem. And after 3 years they all were in good enough condition to even resell them, so blame yourself.
>They often suck at games
You got that the other way round, buddy. Games are often not optimized.

These are ass and I'm sorry you bought one. The color gamut is so shit the colors look like they have a swirl of shit in them. The trackpad blows dick which is why you need a separate mouse, and who thought a 4k screen with an 860m for the y50 thought that was a good idea. Talk about stupid. Even on my 2017 laptop I play games at 1080 because 1440p is still too much for the 1060 but fine for 1080p.
Thermal throttling is still a problem for some laptops. You just have to probably wait until 2020 before the mlvile chips blow passed Volta

No I just want a regular one to run games like the Witcher3, Skyrim, fallout 4 (and 76 when it's available), farcry 5amd such.
I don't really want 4K, 720 60fps would do

Consumer laptops are an arms race to the bottom. Remember netbooks?

No u

RC is the only mass produced cola that is even remotely as good as coke though

Coke > RC >>>>>>>>>>> store brand colas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pepsi

You can build a gaming desktop with better specs and get a good laptop for everything else for less than the price of a gaming laptop.

Honestly from someone who has a both a high end laptop and desktop from the better part of the past eight years, I can say from experience that the margin of performance in games has slimmed up drastically.

When I got my first gaming laptop (Alienware M9750), it was maxed out with 2 8800m gtxs and it was nothing compared to my desktop which was literally less than half the price.

Today I have an Alienware 17 R4 with a GTX 1080 and a desktop with a Titan Xp.

My Alienware has a 2k 120hz screen and I can't find a game it won't play at at least 100fps. Ov my desktop is still much better but the cost between the two is a mroe comparable. My alienware was 3.2k and my desktop was 2.8k. Yes. the alenware is more expensive, high performance laptops always will be. But to answer your question from my experience, the gaming laptops today are not the same as they were 10 years ago.

This is a useful rubric in comparing GPUs in latops and desktops, if you spend enough time on it, as well as compare prices from 10 years ago laptops and desktops, you will find that gaming can be done on laptops today and won't break the bank.

notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

In my experience, I have always wanted a gaming laptop because I travel a lot and having that performance with me is a good thing and luckily, I have a really good job that can pay for the hobby either in a laptop or desktop.

This isn't 2012.

Attached: 1060.png (608x54, 4K)

1060 laptops aren't that expensive and should run those games at more than 60fps @ 1080p.

Dunno about Witcher 3 since it's demanding when it's maxed out.

It should work with everything maxed out if you disable (((hairworks))).

christ you're not even the first moron I've seen spout this shit, it's been years since theres been mobile GPUs, now they're just pascal chips same as desktop

Attached: 0000.jpg (583x435, 56K)

>These are ass and I'm sorry you bought one
Jow Forums was actually shilling them at the time. "Oh look Jow Forums, this is such a sick laptop, and price is good now. Is Lenovo Y510p the Jow ForumsOAT?" so needless to say I jumped the bandwagon. Sometimes, Jow Forums is right. This was not one of those sometimes.

The colours on my 1080p panel was actually really good. Not as good as the W530 that eventually replaced it, but it covered a decent amount of the sRGB colour space and had pretty good contrast (about 600:1). I heard the 4k IPS display on the Y50 was even better apparently. But yeah, trying to play games at 4k... with an 860M... not going to happen. That display was for resolution nerds only.

I remember a friend of mine had a Clevo-derived notebook of sorts that absolutely trounced every other laptop I've ever seen in the screen department. Better than even the W520/W530 screen. THAT was a great computer, but again, it was a hell of a lot of money (around $1,900). You can't win with gaming laptops. Either you get something good, and pay out the ass, or you save money and get something subpar.

Some still are though, flat keyboards are fucking awful to use, especially when they merge the touchpad with the actual keyboard ie, no box or groove indicating where the touch pad even begins or end which makes typing a bitch because you can actually hit the touchpad by mistake. Then you still have the ones that don't have detachable keyboards that leave you with very few ways to possession yourself, you either gotta repossession yourself or the whole fucking thing or buy an external keyboard.

Shittops like these are still being made today so don't pretend we've had some technological advancements with them in the past 8+ years because for every step they took, some would take 5 steps back. Laptops rely too much on feel and design than actual hardware.

didn't even have to read the last sentence to recognize the game

Attached: 1411492894821.jpg (656x730, 228K)