First day in programming job

>first day in programming job
>pretty big company that has alot of branches nationwide
>inhouse development
>just upgrading old php websites and internal system like 5.1 old
>everything in the plan is closed source proprietary
>c#, window servers, azure, intel, weird rare enterprise servers from hp hot swapble servers
>jokingly suggest why not open source like linux
>get laughed at by him and his assistant

I thought linux is popular and used by 90% of the servers in the world? did Jow Forums lied to me?

Attached: 1513519420066.jpg (681x913, 185K)

It is, your company is shit

w2c that programming outfit

Win-cucks.

Attached: how average user sees a computer.jpg (381x668, 144K)

In what industry is does this company operates and how old is it?

When a business needs to upgrade its operations, they usually go with windows because they don't know better, they probably laughed at you because they are married so hard into Microsoft ecosystem that moving to another platform would cost millions.

Smart companies hire a good consulting agent who will probably sell them some red hat or oracle system.

I know for sure that's a dude but damn that tummy gets me thirsty

Cute girl op

For actual production servers, linux is the norm. People dread dealing with old windows server 2003 and such.
What you describe sounds more like a company that existed a while before what we know as "best practice" now was established and never grew past that

Is that smoltrap?

>did Jow Forums lied to me?
Yes.

How pompous you have to be to make that comment on your first day?

I like girls. But not cis thots they are yucky

Our system failed after the Windows server decided there are too many files in a single directory, and it can no longer read/write to it. Took a while to diagnose and fix, and our employer wasn't happy with the downtime.
I suggested a Linux migration, got some nods. We talked to the suits, they were scared, then angry, then shut us down. Got some sights and shrugs from the team again, and we kept the Windows server, just reworking out system to create new folders dynamically as per input volume.

Also, when you enter the business, you think "full stack developer" means being able to do code, databases and CSS. Well, add to that being able to manage the server, design logos and fix the air conditioner. Full full stack, to the fullest.

I was about to defend him by saying you strawmanned by calling his question a "comment", but he said he was "jokingly suggesting" it. I don't understand this dynamic at all. Why would one say something sincerely, but under the guise of it being in jest? Everyone involved in this is a bad person purposely making discourse impossible. The question wasn't even answered, and the question was dishonest anyway since it wasn't a question but an ironic-but-secretly-sincere suggestion.

Gay

Who the hell start new job on Friday 15th? Normal contracts start on 1st of the month or on Monday.

At my company we laugh at everything Windows, macs are ok for Devs, everyon else is using linux of some kind.

I guess you are out of luck.

user, you might be gay

Why? I started at 21st

Cute. Get your butt over here and let me fuck the boy out of you

Not him, but there's nothing wrong with making a joke suggestion/question. I do it all the time as it is a great way to get someone to elaborate on for what is/could often a very boring conversation.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

It's just dishonest on your part if your "joke" comes from an unironic opinion you hold. If you weren't playing social politics and were being honest, you'd communicate the unironic opinion outright, and discuss its practical application.

>didn't figure out the company's stack during interview

this is either fantasy, or you are retarded. either way your commentary on the company's choice is invalid.

Could be worse. You could be plumbing the toilets like a true pajeet.

That type of dishonesty is perfectly acceptable *if* your curiosity is genuine, both party know there's friendly disingenuousness.

But you're right, people should operate like wmi queries.

You're making zero fucking sense. Windows servers are industry standard. C#? Okay... You went over that shit in school right? Azure, pretty fucking standard. Not sure what you mean by "Intel." No idea what "weird rare enterprise servers from hp hot swappable servers" means. You "jokingly" suggest something serious? Why do you care if they laughed if you were joking?

That one wasn't even a boy, newfaggots.

>But you're right, people should operate like wmi queries.
Listen you flaccid penis dumbass; I already said myself that it's social politics from not valuing honesty. Your reply is nothing beyond passive aggression and paraphrasing what I already articulated in the very shit you're "responding" to, while not acknowledging that I already said that shit more eloquently than you.

protip: professionals use windows

Hi user,
I don't like your language or tone, I feel that this was entirely uncalled for. I find it threatening and intimidating.

If you have interpreted my comment about using humor as social lubrication as passive aggressive then I am sorry, this was not my intent.

I have raised a HR complaint in light of this exchange.

Regards,
user
Platform Team

Sounds like google. Windows is basically banned.

moar

It's all windows at the two places I've worked too, the charts are always only web servers which includes shared hosting as different computers for each account. Protip: they are all webshits and linux cult members.

Google and Amazon use Linux. Even Microsoft has used Linux for years now. Poorfag companies use windows because they don't know any better and because buying proprietary shit means less money taxed. Having to do this means the company is underperforming.

All it takes is one sysadmin that doesn't know GNU+Linux to force Windows into the whole organization if it's a smaller one, or one CEO to get shilled by the Windows marketing team and then refuse to listen to other opinions.
Usually older companies have Windows since it was popular in corporate environments a decade or so ago and changing everything requires an investment which might not be so smart if things work as they are and don't take too much time to maintain.

>Fix the air conditioner
Let me give you a phrase that is sure to help: "That's not in my job description."

>sysadmin that doesn't know GNU+Linux
>sysadmin
>doesn't know GNU+Linux

you probably like men

Well... I'll be damned.

Attached: illbedammed.jpg (914x310, 94K)

This user is clearly a dumb niggerfaggot.

Pic related is your brain.

It depends, we've made good progress eating into the open source market with our offerings and our C# API development tools are pretty damn good.

C# is not closed source, pretty much every part of it is available under a permissible license nowadays.

I think they mean how it's built into a lot of routers, switches, our camera system and time clock run it, some printers etc... Last two companies I worked for was windows for servers etc, though I did have a buddy who worked at a parking garage and they did have a linux server (cuz one of the nerds working there did it for free)

The system will be as dumb as the dumbest user.

I work for a council house brimming with normies, they use Windows 10 for EVERYTHING because the software they use is only for windows and if you don't use Windows, you don't get warranty.

Why is it only for windows? Because every clerk in the country can't use anything else because the software they use is only for windows.

Repeat ad nauseam.

I use linux for my server. It's easier for normies to wrap their prunebrains around if you use windows server 1996 instead of ubuntu 18.04

It's faster and cheaper to update legacy systems than it is to implement new ones, at least in the eyes of the people in charge. Generally if you are working for a large enterprise this is how it will end up being, you'll spend most of your time dealing with technical debt with very few opportunities to rebuild existing systems from scratch. There are massive financial institutions in the US that still unironically use IE 11 as their only supported browser.

>everything in the plan is closed source proprietary
An enterprise does not benefit from open sourcing their technology.

> suggest why not open source like linux
Azure already supports linux servers so if they're using that you could maybe convince them to do it through Azure as the next logical step. C# is open source now as well, although with limited support.

But realistically using open source software has no real benefit to the business so it wouldn't make sense to do that anyway if everything is already on the MS stack. An enterprise is not going to re-roll their entire in house system just because you want to shill open source and Linux.

>I thought linux is popular and used by 90% of the servers in the world?
It is. It's almost like 90% is not the same as 100%, really makes you think. Most of the that stat comes from server farms and large cloud services, not necessarily from in-house enterprise systems.

>"That's not in my job description."
"other duties as assigned."

how can I have a cute girl (boy) gf like that

Attached: J4qXoO61.jpg (300x300, 22K)

cute boys only date other cute boys, user

Attached: 1523210286349.jpg (2232x1256, 1.33M)

god damn ya'll niggas is gay on this board

A windows AND PHP shop? Sorry man. Yeah they exist but it isn't the norm.

I started on the 8th of the month. It was a Thursday

>Dumb niggerfaggot
>Getting to the point in an argument where user feels the need need to call people names

You've already lost, user

Attached: 1521660213114.jpg (947x1024, 83K)

Yeah gonna have to 'this' this. Microsoft Windows is the true professional option. Enterprise-grade software designed by and for professionals. Linux is basically a hobbyist OS with no enterprise capability. Did you know that Linux infringes on no fewer than 235 Microsoft patents?

I know this is (((autism))) bait, I know.

Linux can be properly set up to do a specific task. It will do that specific task very well, very efficiently, and as long as nothing fundamental about that system changes it will do it as reliably as you can get any computer to work.
Want a simple second computer to store and serve all your media? So your TV, PC, laptops, phones only have to hook up to your WiFi?
You can set that up with a $30 ARM device, a few hard drives and a cheap power supply. It will never ask for anything but more drive space if needed and it will just fucking work like magic.

Windows is a bloated clusterfuck of 30 year old UI code paradigms that can't fundamentally function without half a gigabyte of loaded executables. It's prone to crashes, malware, ransom viruses, gets slow over time, and it sells every mouse click and keystroke you make, every image you open, every website you visit to Microsoft.

Idk I work for an enormous company, certain products are Linux focused and others windows focused so it depends on what you work on. I do all windows stuff which is fine, once you get past the initial setup it's literally the same as Linux in terms of being able to get programming shit done

If I was forced to use windows at my job, I'd setup a headless debian VM and work entirely from PuTTY.
I've done it before.