9front.org/Jow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's supposed to be some kind of bunny

It's cute, but I mean the OS

Attached: IMG_9134.png (800x600, 24K)

oh that, take some good ideas and pack them in a good portion of autism

9front.org

>Plan 9 from outer space

So it must be shit and have Bela Lugosi in it.

The greatest os ever made

It is the precursor for 9front.

>Only one remote hole in the default install, in a heck of a long time!
did some anons make this?

Attached: 1528826326559.png (345x448, 181K)

pls do not touch the plan 9

glenda is evil

??? some kind of operating system ???

dont go there!

in a sentence yes

please do not elevate 'user' to such heights

heil

An outdated and unsupported OS created by a defunct lab whose members are mostly dead or retired.

A meme OS created by the same fag who invented Go

Attached: skrillex.jpg (500x335, 19K)

Attached: 1521248795648.jpg (400x400, 20K)

>see that "p9 cat vs GNU cat" pic for the first time in what feels like a while
>actually read it
>realize that p9 cat has no -h, lacks basic hints of what it is doing, has no sanity checks and looks like something someone coded during the weekend for an assignment
>check man.cat-v.org/plan_9/1/ to see how the coreutils actually hold up
>ls is p alright
>but some other program has the audacity to overshadow "vi"

Their software is not as exploreable as many competing implementations. I think some of their tools are a little too sharp in the sense that mundane components should always be considered to be used in mundane circumstances.

Attached: 1525645197725.png (689x514, 171K)

Fuck-tard Moot!

>but some other program has the audacity to overshadow "vi"
this was deliberate, although I really think it should have been in a folder (eg, you'd run sim/vi instead... although the plan9 way to call vi would probably be unix/vi anyway, unless the user put it in their personal bin folder)
the standard c compiler is loads different (honestly, I gave up and just used the ordinary ansi posix-style pcc all the time)

>sanity checks
>cat
it just reads in each file and spits it out or copies standard input to standard output and does all the checks you need (file doesn't exist, i/o error during file)
you can just read the man page, which is as standard as -h or -? or --help (hell, it's more so)
mind you, I'm also okay with the fat-ass GNU cat (honestly, I use a lot of GNU extensions in shit, because it's everywhere and I really don't care to think about whatever problem I'm dealing with since they're usually solvable with a 1-3 line bash script), but there's noting really wrong with the plan9 cat

plan9's fairly easy if you read the docs first, and then use it (and use 9front because it'll actually work on a remotely recent machine)
there's very few corner cases, most of my issues with 9front were just web browsing (read: I couldn't post here from 9front) and video (there is no way to play any kind of video in 9front )
the mouse oriented system is almost nice (it's a shame every laptop every copied Apple's retarded clickpad bullshit, because plan9 depends on an actual 3 button mouse)
managing windows was a lot easier than I expected going in

snarf instead of copy is an awful bit of terminology though
there are a lot of things that'd be better than fucking snarf

Had they included good SysV or Posix compatibily and a X11 compatibility layer for rio like xwayland would it have taken off?

Attached: 1487235720859.png (4000x3788, 616K)

90% of what killed Plan 9 was licensing.
In the early 90s, it stood something of a chance. Shame it was only available to universities.
by the mid-90s, it stood no chance, despite having a more sensible license (you still had to buy it, and why bother when Linux was busy beginning its march across the Unix world, killing commercial Unix, all while MS was killing the rest of the operating system market with the rapid spread of Windows)

by the 2000s, when it was finally properly FOSS, no one had any reason to care about Plan 9

you can build a lot of POSIX stuff with pcc
someone did have an X11 implementation on Plan 9, too (there's a crusty 90s era one that doesn't work with anything these days, and there's supposedly a more modern one that works on 9front that I haven't been able to acquire at all since half the files from the download location are missing)

xerox was taken!

the word is "abandoned", OP

dont worry sweaty dont worry your chicken tendy belly about it

go back to playing with your gentoo

reminder to use 9front and not the ancient 2002-era official build if anyone wants to check this shit out

What Unix was supposed to be.

Inferno is better

did you hear the 9front irc bullying scandal?
that's against the whole point, the value in plan9 is the fact that everything is a file
/thread
AT&T unix has value only in legacy. BSD is the future, SVR4-based OS like Linux will die soon enough

I mean
9front.org/Jow Forums.html

It's the main competitor of GNU/Hurd but less ready for market.

Attached: DfGdlYWV4AEuna7.jpg (734x426, 86K)

>that's against the whole point, the value in plan9 is the fact that everything is a file
If your operating system is purely ideology driven it will be a failure.

It didn't fail itself. People failed it.

>9front.org/Jow Forums.html
Dude... w... dude what?

>did you hear the 9front irc bullying scandal?
nah, what happened? some snowflake popped up on irc?

Is that the excuse you tell yourself too?

It failed, period, whether that be because of luck or inability to understand human nature or the demands of physical reality.

>Is that the excuse you tell yourself too?
If it's valid, yes.
>because of luck
not really
>inability to understand human nature
no
>demands of physical reality
no

The predecessor to Inferno.

That is even deader than Plan 9.

So? I still want an Infernofront that I can boot natively rather than on Windows or Unix.

Basically a research OS that never got anywhere. It was too focused on "muh minimalism" to the point of having no good software or hardware support even. The Rio window manager is also a piece of shit that's hard to use. Something like Debian with XFCE might be ugly and bloated and clunky but at least it comes with the tools I need and doesn't get in my way. Plan9 and derivatives seem to be made with the assumption that you want to waste CPU cycles and run up your electric bill just to stare at pretty colors and unreadable scrunched up bitmap fonts from the year 1732. Seriously, it's garbage.

/rant

>What is templeOS

Fuck off. White men use Haiku

Which video cards work with Haiku? When is the Haiku Beta 1 coming out?

Not him but Haiku is great. You earned this (You).

Pretty much every Intel iGPU works. AMD iGPUs probably work as well. It's not like Haiku has any programs that would be able to take full advantage of a modern dGPU anyways. It's a very basic hobbyist OS.

I don't really care about BeOS compatibility, but the gui is just so comfy and it is executed perfectly. It's something like unix but entirely gui

What about discrete AMD GPUs?

Probably not. You wouldn't be able to use the power anyway

TempleOS does everything better

It's not really that UNIXish when you dig into the system. But that's not a bad thing. It copies some of the best UNIX ideas and follows the philosophy pretty well. The kernel, which is a microkernel hybrid, seems to be modular in all the right ways. The UI is consistent and stable. It truly is one of the nicest systems I've ever used.

Maybe if there are Linux or BSD drivers.

t. doesnt know shit about either