/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkPad-P52.jpg (1700x1000, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/the-new-thinkpad-p52
youtube.com/watch?v=g2clzOGbziU
thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/
scansound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q= 3 5mm 4 pin female trrs to 3 pin male 3 5mm trs adapter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reposting
I have a thinkpad p51 with what I believe is an expresscard slot. I was thinking about installing a linux distro on it and sometimes booting from it. would that work, and if so, which reasonably priced expresscard would be best for this purpose?

>p51
>express card
Are you okay user? Could you post pictures of that slot you're talking about?

wtf it's hard to type lol

Attached: broken thinkpad.jpg (1920x1643, 237K)

Holy shit P52 is real ?

Yeah. This is the official announcement:
>blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/the-new-thinkpad-p52

Is a refurbished T440s with 8GB and an i5-4300U good enough to get me through four years of university? And is £300 a good price?

yes but no that price sucks

Im using a t440s with the 4300u and 8gb of ram.

That price is up there, but not bad if the device/batteries are in mint condition.

If it has cosmetic issues and batteries that cant hold a charge I'd keep looking.

The t440s can be upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL 1080p ips display for less than the t430/t420 neckbeard meme toys.

Get the t440s

Idab here btw, can the trans loser stop deleting my /tpg/ threads?

For fucks sake.

>picked up a t430s
>battery life is terrible.
Is it just me? I feel like my x230t with a 3 cell out performs the 6 cell on the t430s with just basic usage. I'm guessing an ultrabay battery is a requirement with these.

run tlp and see the actual capacity you're getting, willing to bet it's not anywhere near full

I find that hard to believe since the x230t display consumes much more power.

Did you install a new battery user?

Why did Lenovo decide to remove the ethernet port on the A285?? You dont use it that often but when you need to, you sure as hell dont have some dongle with you.
Might get the A485 instead..

Also, will Lenovo ever produce a new Thinkpad 25-like computer with the classic keyboard...?

Attached: IMG_20180402_182251_20180404070450721.jpg (1839x2097, 750K)

>T440s
do yourself a favor and avoid getting an underpowered low voltage dual core piece of shit processor in mid 2018

What laptop tasks are you doing that utilize more than 1 core?

Please tell me user!!!!!!!

He needs that quad core for taking notes in class and doing research online?

Shut up fat fuck

icancer is back

Did I hurt your feelings tubby?

I have one of the protective plastic inserts too

Attached: EC.jpg (620x485, 23K)

Frugal?
8 threads, 32gig DDR4 and a decent GPU, also good build quality..

You might be right about the rj45 socket, but I use mine pretty often. It's a computer for techies, right?

Why is the E-series so much shit?

Attached: 16584761_1408851475823424_3817769482789584896_n.jpg (800x796, 83K)

please don't reply to bait

You dont use more than one core??
My X220 is almost too slow for my programming needs, I mainly complain about the fan noise and heat though. 100% CPU gets hot..

What's the best laptop screen money can buy?

So I have decided to max out my E6520, and when the A485 / E585 Ryzen laptop drops I'll get it and probably give this Dell to my dad for Christmas, it will be a nice upgrade over his T60p

Is there anything missing in my shopping list here?

>KJ321, 97wh tray battery
>04NW9, 97wh 9 cell battery
>T54FJ, 60wh 6 cell battery
>P7VRH, 30wh media tray battery
>MR9MM, FHD cable
>9HYXD, 45w CPU cooler
>i7 2960XM cpu
>HG3G3 / 7T425, backlit keyboard
>CJ3P2, webcam
>NW1W7, LCD webcam bezel
>8MWCT / WJCJD, bluetooth 4.0 module or
>M7X42 / dual band wifi / BT 4.0 m.2 card

Why are you not using a desktop processor to program? Are you poor?

Get a laptop with an rj45 socket if you need an rj45 socket. 99% of people buying those laptops DO NOT USE rj45

plastic shit

>fathers opens christmas gift box

>sees his sons cumstained dell

>cries

she's ugly and that outfit doesn't work on her and the e series aren't real thinkpads

Depends on your model, many of them are interchangeable between manufacturers. I got a Lenovo 1080p display for my E6520 and it worked.

It really isn't until you drop one or have to do anything outside of a standard user-serviceable repair like RAM or CPU upgrade

t. E545 owner who killed it trying to do a 1080p upgrade and I pinched the cable and shorted the motherboard, oops

I went through university on a T60 a couple years back. You'll be fine on a T440s, my girlfriend has a T440 and it's got plenty of balls for what you're doing.

this. I haven't used an RJ45 except at LAN parties or some hotel rooms. I always thought putting RJ45s on a laptop defeated the purpose of having a laptop, a mobile computing solution you could deploy anywhere and it would work without physical tethers.

>X220 is also much older than a T440s and the 440 is a nice improvement in power over the X220, two full generations if I recall my Thinkpad history correctly.

yeah, it is actually an Expresscard slot. No idea about booting from there, although on older models this is possible with coreboot.

Thank you!!!

The t440s is more powerful than the x220, consumes less energy, and outputs less heat under load.

Its a direct upgrade in every single way, but you still get fat fuck neckbeards trying to compare them.

this x 100000

>idab
get the fuck out of here

Attached: 20180615_143932.jpg (707x500, 71K)

Watch out, we've got a tough guy over here.

filter and move on

Shills please leave tpg alone

Attached: 20180612_011141.png (389x473, 315K)

Yeah filtering wont do anything you fat autist.

Somebody is literally DELETING my posts..

This is why nobody likes Jow Forums anymore. More regulated than reddit and nothing but obese neckbeards or annoying tran boys.

NEXT

idk i can see you atm, who is deleting the posts?

>DELETING my posts
good

Attached: tumblr_ltt2lcULmq1r4k5f5o1_500-picsay.jpg (500x375, 64K)

who fumo and thinkpad here

Attached: IMG_0700.rotated.jpg (3024x2268, 1.04M)

gooks are disgusting creatures but i wouldn't mind fucking these 2

Attached: 1527815539998.jpg (480x854, 84K)

Nice dolls kek
The only doll you need is Trapcode!Q/7 in a frilly little dress to make your fuck toy. Also nice Thinkpads.

Attached: hmm.jpg (500x375, 44K)

why are you not recommending T440 and above?

Fine get the T440 and above then.

Literally in the OP:
>>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Because it's shit, the T440p is better.

Its unfortunate that I would need to go through extra steps like that, considering an expresscard would be much better suited to running an OS, while a usb or SD works right away.

youtube.com/watch?v=g2clzOGbziU

Attached: hmm.gif (140x140, 64K)

Really tempted to get this.
X240, i7-3520M, 8GB RAM
IS WORTH?

Attached: 3yvx4nx0dv011.png (1080x1920, 1.94M)

SHIT I meant X230, sorry.

Is it boomers or niggers?

it looks in good condition. Get it.

It gets boring quick when all you can play are easy-normal songs and doing streams breaks your screen, i'd say the tablet mode works better for hentai rpgmaker/vns than for osu.

I wouldn't buy it if its not IPS panel

what's a stream? can't you just use the pen's magnetic field and a keyboard if u dont like to press the screen?

How much lower should I go if it's not?

fast sequential taps as in three or more

>pen and a keyboard
Sure you can do it but i guess it'd be awkward, can't imagine a way to play osu comfortably like that, you'd be better with a typical drawing tablet.

can't you just use a external monitor and the x220t as the typical drawing tablet

sure but i don't see the point of using a 12" laptop as a drawing tablet for osu when $20 shits can do that job just fine

good.
Sorry was reposting this because I wanted to make sure I mentioned that the best speced x220 and t440s have a 3% cpu peformance difference baka.

So you are the #1 manchild in North America?
Do you shit hot pockets?

Attached: screenshot_20180615_161404.png (5120x2160, 1016K)

WHERE DO I GET A SLICE BATTERY FOR A ZBOOK 17!

Yeah, they both are relatively new batteries. Maybe I need to do some more tweaking.

Attached: Tweek_Tweak.png (200x226, 57K)

>mfw complete silence during normal browsing on a 10 year old x200
change that thermal paste lads

Attached: 2018-06-15-180943_352x352_scrot.png (352x352, 9K)

The p51 has a EC gen 3 it's just he's better off not using for what he's asking
Just get another hard drive
EC is only good for usb 3 and egpus
You already have usb 3 and thunderbolt 3 is better for egpus

You can't boot off expresscard card.

can T420 be availabe in 12.5" screen format?
when seller does not specify type of panel am i supposed that its equiped with TN one?
how long should i expect T420 to last on battery, is 3h standard?

Changed mine to kryonaut but I'm too pussy to try liquid metal.

I'm considering selling my X61s I purchased a few months ago. It's been useful on vacation, but due to the screen res and low CPU power it's more of a novelty desu. I need the money to upgrade my PC (well I have money but I don't want to spent it).

Is it worth leaving the 120GB 850 Evo in it, and selling it for a bit more? In fact would it be worth completely upgrading the system with a new battery, RAM and keyboard before selling it? Would I make ROI?

Oh yeh and the WiFi card?

OP can we also add this website to the sticky for EOL drivers?

thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/

It's a pretty basic site that doesn't have all of the flash and shit that bogs down legacy systems like on the Lenovo EOL site and I've set up my T61 a few times successfully with it.

It lists the models alphabetically and makes it super easy to look for your model and download drivers, instead of using a search engine

which eGPU enclosure do I get for my P51.
also everything I've read is that they're basically plug in, install drivers, disable quadro. is that right for the p51?

The new Lenovo Corporate Perks code is 2018_PERK

Is there anything from stopping me from using this to buy a T480 (or a A485)?

It doesn't seem to require any validation that I work for a company that's affiliated with that perks system.

What kind of paste are you using?

don't get EC egpu it doesn't work with the P50 and above

get TB3 enclosure, it's costly though

i've tried two different EC egpu setups

I'll give you 25 bucks for it if it's in good condition with no cum, keep your ssd

Is this a good price for a 4th gen X1 carbon. They claim it is the i7-6600U. Is it worth picking up?

Attached: Screenshot_20180615-200047_letgo.jpg (1080x2220, 753K)

that's too much.

not really related i guess
i have a t480 and i need some earbuds with a mic
without doing any research i picked up apple earbuds thinking they would work but damn the mic doesnt work with my compy
anyone know of any similar quality or similarly priced earbuds with a mic that works with a PC

i'm getting this in the first place because i did some video calls and according to my coworkers the built in t480 mic isn't that great

>that's too much.

Okay cool. Thanks. How much do you think I should try to negotiate down to? Is it even worth bothering? It seems like a decent machine.

They don't work because apple want to make everything special and the combo jack has different order of rings, make sure whatever new headphones you buy have a normal ring layout and they should work just fine.

Attached: 2652470.jpg (443x238, 49K)

between 700 & 800. Try looking for a T440p

thanks friend

Buy an inexpensive TRRS to TRS adapter
scansound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q= 3 5mm 4 pin female trrs to 3 pin male 3 5mm trs adapter

Or don't, as the mic isn't connected with those, sorry.

Sounds good. Thank you very much!

>suggesting t440p as an alternative for X1C
Why do you think a brick is a reasonable alternative to an ultrabook ?

Attached: xoxo.jpg (1080x1442, 273K)

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Xsauc nandesuka

Attached: wat dis.jpg (2000x1500, 811K)

Is a T420s in excellent condition without a hard drive (not a big thing, can order the cover and I've got plenty of 7.5mm drives around, yes I know it only works with the 7.5mm height drives) worth getting nowadays? I found one on craigslist for under $100, the pics look great, excellent all around, the seller has provided every single piece of info I've requested, it has the 1600x900 panel in it (not sure how good it'll look, of course), and everything seems fine so far.

Going to check it out tomorrow at some point but given how much people tend to hate the "s" variant models, for under $100 I mean, it's a fucking ThinkPad (yes, Lenovo makes it, I know, that's how it goes), but it's got that classic fucking keyboard and that's what I really want again. I've used the chiclet models the past few years and while they're OK for chiclets, I want that old school classic ThinkPad keyboard again.

I've been looking for a proper T420 for $100 or less, these days they're very rare to locate, not one on eBay presently that I'd take a chance on myself either.

So, is a T420s in good shape (Intel graphics, i5, 1600x900, 4GB but I've got 2x4GB sticks to get to 8GB)... worth the price for under $100?

Looks like a T61 on top of a Z61

We had a Z61 get recycled a while back, I kept the top cover, thought the gold was an interesting choice for a mat black laptop.

I'd say go for it. I bought a T410 5 years ago for like $250 and I'm happily shitposting on it to this day.

I'm familiar with both of the models but I've never seen an ultrabay like that.

>tfw nobody wants to buy your T400

Those are ideapads doing cosplay.

I got a used T42 with an optical drive that won't eject. Tried removing it and putting it back in and a paper clip in the force eject hole. When I press the eject button the LED blinks but it doesn't work. What do