DNA Data storage

Does anyone know HOW this is done? 1 gram of dna can store the entire internet. For machine learning and AI, this is a godsend technology. And from what I have seen, it is possible and people are using it right now.

Question is, what is the process for this? And why arent more of you getting into this tech?

Attached: DNA_storage_graphic_WEB_2.jpg (630x403, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-dna-storage/dna-data-storage-could-last-thousands-of-years-idUSKCN0WO1DX
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>run windows off of dna
>put under uv light
>mfw windows is literally cancer

Attached: cade 2.jpg (379x429, 28K)

>And why arent more of you getting into this tech
it's slow and fragile

How do you propose we read dna in real time at speeds that HDD and SSDs achieve?

How do you propose we store the dna in a manner that it doesn't get ruined?

Go on, we're waiting.

Nanopores can read DNA fairly fast. It can be stored in silica glass particles for thousands of years.
reuters.com/article/us-dna-storage/dna-data-storage-could-last-thousands-of-years-idUSKCN0WO1DX
The problem is the write speed is not great

Thats what i was wondering. Didnt know of those issues.

>use your own dna to become storage device
Won't it hurt?

inb4 terabytes of data in one nutting

>get a literal virus in your dnadrive

it would be extremely painful

you're a big guy

>overclock your computer
>DNA hard drive cooks up

3' AAAA 5'

heh

This. However, you forgot:

Even with nanopores, the dna strands are read in a random order and need to be reassembled. This process is compute heavy. The more accuracy you want in assembly, the more compute you have to throw at it. This can be offset somewhat by using error correction but this takes up more space. Even with very accurate assembly you need heavy error correction to account from read errors, environmental degradation, incomplete read due to some DNA never reaching the pores, etc. So the theoretical density != the real world density due to error correction.

i think this fits fine on Jow Forums

I meant to help OP in having proper answers, the post above mine changed my opinion though.

>Jow Forums
>proper answers
AHAHAHAHAHAAAA

write speeds are too slow

Lel

>storage technology
>not Jow Forums

Imagine wiping a file by feeding it antibiotics lol

What would happen when you generate a DNA strand from a binary blob and placed it inside a stem cell or embryo for the DNA to be decoded in the usual way?

>Does anyone know HOW this is done?
It isn't. You can contract out an arbitrary DNA sequence to be made. You'd go broke contracting out a HDD worth of information.

Cell death. Most mutations to working DNA are lethal very early in embryonic development. A cell with /dev/urandom DNA would have even worse chances.

Yes, advanced species. But as far as I know they use crystals as long term storage.