/ag/ - Audio Video General

Vintage JBL edition

Attached: Jbl-L-Series-1985-Catalog-8.jpg (1241x1755, 296K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-D509S-Audio-Video-Multi-Channel-Receiver-Tested-Working/232807674346
ebay.com/itm/SONY-STR-K750P-5-1-SURROUND-SOUND-RECEIVER-Stereo-Sony-Home-Theater-NO-REMOTE/223008124889
ebay.com/itm/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-RX-2-RX2-Audiophile-2-Way-Speakers-Rosenut-Finish/202276799085
ebay.com/itm/Focal-Chorus-705-2-Way-Bass-Reflex-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/372086717637
ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Model-VSX-454-Stereo-AM-FM-Receiver-Tuner-Amplifier-Audio-Video/192565691443?hash=item2cd5cf4433:g:tL0AAOSw1kRbDfoy
ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-Bookshelf-Speakers-Walnut-PAIR/153060677219
ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-405-Stereo-Receiver-Dolby-Surround-Sound-5-Channel-Home-Theater/323155666380
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does anyone know if theres a cheap way to listen to SPDIF in on a Windows computer?

>hur dur my L100T is suddenly worth boat loads more because JBL brought them back

Fuck off

>>hur dur my L100T is suddenly worth boat loads more because JBL brought them back
Are people really doing this?
t. have a pair of L100Ts but I don't want to get rid of them

those are really ugly
what are some good looking jbls

sup gayboy

Attached: attachment.php?attachmentid=54394&stc=1&d=1326156787.jpg (1024x1536, 122K)

that's ugly and kinda sad looking

Attached: the-man-with-no-taste-57f5725e39ab1.jpg (800x449, 66K)

This is a good looking JBL model called Focal Evo.

Attached: 1527529286486.jpg (3100x2067, 1.53M)

are JBL headphones good?

t-those aren't even jbl

Attached: fCV2Fh2.jpg (900x648, 177K)

That's why they're good looking.

BTW that's me in the pic. I was sitting outside just a few moments ago.

Attached: HP-3-Lifestyle-12.jpg (2000x1359, 384K)

>yfw this guy is a model and after the photoshoot he probably went home to listen to music on his Beats by Dre headphones

No, Man. That's me. IRL.
Here's me again, just a few seconds ago. Relaxing after a hard week at work.

Attached: HP-3-Lifestyle-Hero-2.jpg (2000x1359, 1.69M)

When I was really little, I used to think of JBL as a Japanese company.
I guess I was mixing it up with JVC. But I always associated JBL with Asian people for whatever reason.

I thought optical outs were a common feature on mobos.

Japan loves vintage JBL, so your younger self knew something before they did

>I thought optical outs were a common feature on mobos.
I need optical IN

bump

Bullshit.

Attached: 2018-06-16 01_13_46-Photos.png (855x852, 184K)

i think all you needed to do was read the pic name

Appropriate speakers for a small room? 3x7 meters

Just buy any soundcard with optical in? My Edirol FA-101 has optical in and out

I had a pair of JBL Reference 410 headphones for a good while. Sound quality for listening was fuckin awesome for the price, but they were turrble for music composition. Also, they fit really weird on my head, like really tight, the cord was horribly thin, and the inline volume control went out on it. Even still I love the sound out of 'em and used them until they died.

Attached: jbl_reference_410.jpg (1024x768, 152K)

theres tons of em
whats your budget and musical pref

Under $1000 for speakers and amp probably?

Mostly listen to rock, electronic, some jazz

bump

Attached: Jbl-L-Series-1985-Catalog-1.jpg (1241x1755, 199K)

Currently researching alternatives to pic related before I go with them
>Can't demo anything
Shit sucks.

Attached: cmt-350 se.jpg (377x800, 49K)

>Searching for Parasound authorized dealers near me
>Look up on the map the closest one
>There's nothing but a pizza shop and a thrift store there
Welp.

Need help here ag got two options for some nice vintage receivers
Option 1 SAE TWO R3C in near perfect condition all lights and meters work sound great 180 usd 30 wpc

Option 2 Rotel rx 604 in perfectly functional condition, but some bulbs are out and one meter doesn't work. 160 usd 50 wpc

Both are from a local audio vendor. I dont care paying a bit more to get something i know works.

What do you guys think

While it probably wouldn't be too much of an issue replacing the broken shit with the Rotel, who knows what else could be wrong with it. Do you need 50 wpc? Will 30 suffice?

I have 37 watts right now, so i dont nesscarily want to down grade, but i probably dont even need 30 watts.

The usual drawback to these MTM arrangements is the severe off-axis trouble they have. You can see this with the manufacturer measurements: standing the speaker tall side up, the vertical sweet spot is limited even compared to normal non-coincident drivers. If you tried it laying it down, the horizontal response goes to crap.
D'appolito arrays work best when the crossover frequency has a large wavelength compared to the spacing of the drivers. So, if you don't want to turn it into a three-way, which solves many of these issues, the tweeter has to work at unusually low frequencies and the woofers have to be on top of the tweeter.

Is your intended budget around the neighborhood of 500 for a pair?

bump

Attached: 1471055272351.jpg (3860x2564, 2.16M)

I am audio nub.

Edifier Studio R1280T 2.0

Are these any good? If not, any recommendations? My budget for pc speakers is between 80 and 100 euros

Attached: 374751.jpg (422x390, 35K)

My budget for new speakers is up to a 1,000 dollars.
>So if you don't want to turn it into a three way
Unfortunately adding a center isn't possible right now.

I meant the speaker design, as in tweeter-midrange-2x woofer.
Does that include subwoofers?

I have them and think they sound great for the price/size. The dual input is nice - I have one connected to my PC, and the other connected to a chromecast audio.
Would recommend.

Sub is already implemented into my system. VTF-15H MK2, I'm currently working on upgrading the amp/receiver and speakers. I'm currently using everything near-field but who knows if that may change soon. The thousand dollars is solely for speakers. Just attempting to do research since I may focus on getting the amp swapped out first.
>I meant the speaker design
Ah I see.

I'm interested in upgrading my current speakers (shitty powered desktop speakers) to something better-sounding. To prevent the "upgrade itch", I'm planning on diving in and getting something decent for my speakers from the get-go (right now,I'm looking at a pair of Q150s). Obviously, I will need an amp to drive them (bonus points if it has a coax digital input). Is there a wiki/guide of recommended amps at different price points? If it helps, I'm looking to spend under $1000 for the entire project.

We need to come up with either a wiki or guide for the most common types of speakers people may be interested in. It will be difficult though as there are so many different speakers, different companies, different types of speakers. It's not like headphones where there are primarily a small number of quality manufacturers. You can literally go to any country and find exclusive speaker manufacturers there.

GOOD Tier
Sony SS MB 150H - $30-$60
Pioneer Receiver - Vintage - $40
ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-D509S-Audio-Video-Multi-Channel-Receiver-Tested-Working/232807674346
Total with speaker cables: ~ $125

VERY GOOD Tier
QAcoustics 2010i - $115
Pioneer Receiver - Vintage - $60
ebay.com/itm/SONY-STR-K750P-5-1-SURROUND-SOUND-RECEIVER-Stereo-Sony-Home-Theater-NO-REMOTE/223008124889
Total with cables: $200

DECENT Tier - There are many good speakers in this price range; below are only two examples:
Monitor Audio Silver - $550
ebay.com/itm/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-RX-2-RX2-Audiophile-2-Way-Speakers-Rosenut-Finish/202276799085
OR
Focal Chorus 705 - $550
ebay.com/itm/Focal-Chorus-705-2-Way-Bass-Reflex-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/372086717637
Pioneer Receiver - Vintage - $40
ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Model-VSX-454-Stereo-AM-FM-Receiver-Tuner-Amplifier-Audio-Video/192565691443?hash=item2cd5cf4433:g:tL0AAOSw1kRbDfoy
Total with cables: $615

Cool, thanks a lot.

EXCELLENT Tier
Dynaudio Excite X14 - $750
ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Excite-X14-Bookshelf-Speakers-Walnut-PAIR/153060677219
Pioneer Receiver - Vintage - $80ish
ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-405-Stereo-Receiver-Dolby-Surround-Sound-5-Channel-Home-Theater/323155666380
Total with cables: $860

AUDIOPHILE Tier
Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII - $900-$1500
Pioneer Receiver - Vintage - See above
For this set, you have go digging, and do you research - you will find a set that will wind up costing less than $1000. The drivers of this particular Dynaudio are so fast and precise, and the imaging so good, you will never wear headphones again.

These are recommendations for bookshelves only.

FAQ:
Q: Why are you recommending shitty old Pioneer-type receivers? A: The signature of an audio system is 90% the speakers. Older Pioneer/Sony/Yamaha receivers, as shown, have sufficient power, particularly, for reasons I don't understand, the VSX-405. They lack HDMI usually and the newer circuitry, but you don't need all that shit to run 2.0 or 2.1 if the speakers are good, and they are sometimes dirt cheap in thrift stores -- like $15 marked down 50% -- essentially $8. Feel free to spend $1000 for an audiophile amp, or an underpowered Lepai -- I could care less. There is a benefit to a better amp, but there's plenty of time to upgrade the amp. Buying low end speakers at the outset is really unnecessary these days. There is so much good stuff in the used market.

>Pioneer
I have an SX 727 sitting behind me right now. Need to bring it somewhere to have it checked out. Tried looking into fixing it myself but didn't succeed. Severe downside to it is that I do not believe it has a sub out.

Looking at the MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE 1 my guy, they're in sale at a local store. What do you think?

solid performer

>SX 727
alas

Attached: 926563-vintage-classic-pioneer-sx727-am-fm-stereo-receiver-beautiful-condition.jpg (993x768, 189K)

The middle isn't even horn where are you expecting horrible off axis sound? It's no different than any other setup

You don't need sub out. Does it have main in and pre out? Is there jumpers there? (doesn't matter really) Get some Y-splitter cables and hook up your sub that way. That's what I do on my Marantz

Attached: 20170429_113206-2656x1494.jpg (2656x1494, 743K)

What do horns have to do with anything?

>SX 727
neat my nigga i got a SX 737 myself, although i just upgraded

Early i needed help picking out between a vintage rotel or a vintage S.A.E. TWO receiver, and like the idiot i am, spent 350 for both. Ill post pics of all three in a bit.

Have these cheap shits. I bought them to hold me over until I bought a real audio system, but I just ended up keeping them.

Would it be worth upgrading to a z 906?

Attached: 106339584.jpg (710x506, 74K)

Does anything cheaper than that exist?

Oh yes it does. I can just run the Pre Out via RCA to the sub?
You got both? Any reason why?
It was fun taking it apart. The mechanism operating the tuner literally being a pulley opening and closing a large contact is my favorite aspect of that. Wasn't aware that's how old radios worked.

Attached: 20180616_202325 - Copy.jpg (2621x1274, 912K)

No, you wouldn't be upgrading in this situation. You would just be moving from sound makers to slightly better sound makers. Take that 200 dollars and put it towards a good amp and set of speakers to blow those logitechs out of the water.

No. Speakers only when it comes to jbl

honestly, couldn't decide, plus there both "rare" enough that i took the opportunity to get both. I have enough speakers to use all three

Bedroom, basement, main listening room is how im gonna set it up.

They would be blatantly better than what you have. But if you're prepared to pay more for something even better, just save up and wait.

thanks user
what brand u recommend?

Are you looking for headphones? Follow /hpg/s example, state what you want them for, what type, price, etc.

newfags lmao

Attached: th (2).jpg (474x622, 36K)

My pride and joys absolutley in love

Attached: 20180616_220638.jpg (2560x1440, 837K)

>Oh yes it does. I can just run the Pre Out via RCA to the sub

You need the splitter cable to connect both main in and pre out and sub rca cable. Might work without but not sure

Directed sound

I'm poor and about to go thrift shopping for a set of stereo floor speakers. What should I look for? Going to be used with a turntable primarily, only for music not with a TV.

look for big brand names that are known for good audio, remove the cover to see if the cones have been damaged/pushed in

big names; technics, realistic, jbl, klipsch

Wait, how the hell would that work?

pioneer cs99A FB coned

ohm model E

dayton audio sub-1200 under desk

Attached: yeet.jpg (2688x1512, 697K)

Attached: 20180616_223644-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 776K)

My sub supports RCA. So it looks like it would require me to use the two Y splitters to RCA.

If you can get away with mono that would be best. Otherwise you will cross the left and right channels into each other on your stereo speakers. If you can't do that you will need a second splitter to hook into the sub inputs

Unfortunately mono won't work. Tried it already and there's a discernible difference in sound quality.

Attached: motoko can't brain today.jpg (204x132, 39K)

Normal TM arrangements have some issues at the midwoofer-tweeter transition, but a high-crossed MTM will create even more problems TMs don't have over the entire midrange.
Interference lobes associated with drivers spaced distantly compared to the wavelength. You don't get the limited radiation of a directivity horn, but you do get uneven coverage parallel to the MM axis. Horns could be used to load the tweeter and lower the useable x-over point.

What do you consider a high crossover? Mine are ~1500

>these are my spare sets stored until I move into my new home next month. I have a second pair of the top speaker in use now

Attached: 20180502_181558-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 612K)

What do you mean?

Using a single RCA input of the sub resulted in subpar quality (if that's what you're referring to)

Does it have both red and white inputs? Slap on another Y splitter and you'll get full volume again

Yes it does. So a little confused here. Main out + pre out to red/white RCA won't work?

It will no problem. My issue was the left and right signals would mix together for whatever reason. Maybe the sub I had back then was shit though. If a song was playing something on the left channel it would play on both channels

very nice, user

bump

Are vintage speakers any good or are they all shit? Because I got myself a pair vintage 1970's Sony bookshelf speakers to go with an amp that I have.

what model? many vintage speakers are good, even googling would tell you such

These are the speakers in question, they do work but I have no idea if the foam surrounds are still intact because it appears the the front grill is glued on or attached from inside the cabinet. They are screws that hold the back panel on, but I don't want to disturb the insulation inside.

Attached: sony ss-70.jpg (400x300, 45K)

I don't know the model, but that speaker looks too large for a 1k point.
The issue is wavelength relative to spacing. A general guideline is to try to keep the spacing under half-wavelength, since that where the nulls occur. The design shouldn't have left those large flanges on the woofer. If they aren't going to saw down the woofers, at least cut up the horn to make some space.

>watch Kenrick Sound videos to hype up repairing my vintage JBL speakers
Oh fuck I think I'm turning into an audiofool, those vintage JBL speakers they reproduce look fucking nice and sound great
They seem kind of cheapie, but I'm sure they're just fine for casual listening. Concerning the foam surrounds, you should be good as long as they don't sound obviously distorted and you don't play them too loudly. If you don't care about the grill too much, you could cut it off to take a closer look.

Well they are only 10watt rated speakers each and the amp is rated 13watts per channel

Why are these threads always filled with mostly poorfags trying to cobble something together on the most shoe string of poverty budgets?

>Jow Forums

i dont know shit about audio and i'd like to change that. where can i find more information? things like what speakers and receivers are compatible etc

>Compatible
Yeah, you definitely don't know shit.

>listening to music WHILE reading a magazine
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 486.png (680x521, 443K)

you can ask here, just disregard the imbeciles
they own logitech anyway

Attached: 1tojokoBehringer.jpg (1000x750, 58K)

before you go further, post your system

Posting motivational audio images.

Attached: wallhaven-7766.jpg (2048x1365, 1.1M)

Klipsch CF4. It's 1500Hz

Summer is HERE

Attached: sqQlid7.jpg (900x810, 52K)

Attached: 45678987654.jpg (633x1023, 668K)

and you are it

Attached: 1529011688714.jpg (1080x1349, 112K)