How is it using Linux on a Chromebook?

Anyone have experience with this? Either using Crouton or dual-booting?

Attached: 5839303cv11d.jpg (550x357, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

galliumos.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's as shit as installing GNU on an Android phone

What is shit about it?

You can't dual boot anymore so it's just crouton which is crap.

Really? That would suck. Did something change on newer Chromebook models?

It werks
>Chrx dualboot on an Acer CB3-131

It's probably the most pointless thing you could do.

A cheap Lenovo from Ebay would do merit you complete compatibility with x64 Linux, with more horsepower under the hood.

This is a waste of time. Might as well drink bleach in place of milk.

I had the original $100 samsung chromebook, it was ass
This, fuck a chromebook, literal facebook machines

If I may ask, what was ass about it?

I like my Chromebook for being light and performant enough for casual browsing while also allowing me to not looking like a turbo-autist at school.
That said, if you just want linux on it get something else. The whole point is the very light OS that comes with it. I dual boot mine but between having almost no storage left, chromebrew having a lot of good software and my arch chroot having everything else I find that I never boot to it.

Yeah locked bios. Since 2015 or so.

I actually have the Chromebook in the picture. I have it running Manjaro rn. When I first had it I ran Crouton but I got much better performance from running everything completely natively. As for the locked bios since 2015 thing, this Samsung Chromebook 3 was released in 2016, and I've seen even later Chromebooks get similar treatment via custom firmware. Look up GalliumOS and Mr. Chromebox's firmwares.

Can't you reflash it, like, really easily from the OS? They still use coreboot, right?

Some do, custom firmware is required for most though. The firmware can be flashed from ChromeOS and from there you can boot off a USB and install Linux or Windows (if compatible) over ChromeOS like you would on a normal PC.

I'm curious about this too. I'm interested in a laptop to run linux on but nice battery life is kind of my biggest concern. All my work is done in terminal (vim, tmux, ssh/mosh).

As I have a decent desktop all I really want is solid driver compatibility, lightweight, and cheap. I was thinking a chromebook would fit these criteria, but maybe not?

Get atleast 4gb of ram and you should have about 1.3-1.5gb left over if you plan on running Crouton (crouton allows you to run Linux in a Chrome browser tab inside ChromeOS).

Now if you plan to just wipe ChromeOS and just put linux on it, I would still recommend 4gb.

Wait, aren't chromebooks getting Linux officially?

>using a Chromebook
Please just go.

Chromebook works great. I recommend acer c740. Sturdy af, 4GB, can upgrade SSD 128GB (more doesn't work by some reports), super long battery life, real Linux support once you flash the bootloader.

Chromebooks only have 5 year warranty. After that, no updates, which suck balls because you really need browser updated.
Fuck that shite.

Attached: IOE-6-1.jpg (2040x1360, 257K)

Crouton works great in my experience, no idea about dual booting.

And by warranty I meant support, fuck it. Warranty is obviously much shorter.

That sucks yeah. Could install something like galliumos.org/ for updates, if you don't wanna buy a new computer.

But can you even delete the chromeos and use linux without hassle? In the past, you had to unlock dev mode and it would nag every boot.
Also the non-standard hardware (and keyboard lacking important keys) is a problem. Small storage with emmc too, often (16 GB...)

>$250 chromebook
1080p IPS display, 10 hour battery
>$250 lemming-ovo
1024x768 monochrome display, 1 hour battery

I use Crouton and I had to switch to dev mode on mine, it's a one time thing and it wipes your data when you do it.
For running a Linux distro I hear it's a bit more work, on the newer machines you'll have to actually open the thing and remove some firmware write protection screws, so you can install custom firmware, you need this for setting some custom flags, otherwise you'll get locked out of your machine when the battery goes to zero.
That's roughly how it goes from what I remember, I haven't done this and will only attempt when I find the need to. Right now, Crouton works fine for running VS Code which is all I really need it for. Battery life is shorter with Gallium than ChromeOS and that's important for me also.

Damn I went all sporadic - yes, you'll be able to remove ChromeOS completely if you want.