Fedora vs Debian

Fedora vs Debian

I'm quite experienced with Debian already, what should I expect from migrating to Fedora?

Attached: wut.jpg (1024x576, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cent would be more comparable. Fedora is more like Ubuntu in that they're both buggy pieces of shit.

>Fedora is more like Ubuntu in that they're both buggy pieces of shit.
how so?

>Cent
Thanks user, my bad I did not clarify. I need the OS for home desktop use but also being able to extend to work when needed. Work includes backend programming.

I'm just too scared to take the leap off apt package management and need to know if it's worth it.

it's bad

Could you elaborate more, please? Currently running a live version just to get the feel of the environment and tried some of the different command line utilities a bit. It feels okay I guess, but I'm seeking more elaborate opinions.

Been using Fedora since 24 on my laptop. The update firehose is annoying and I still use Debian on my server so that should say something.
If you like gnome3, fedora has hands down the best gnome3 implementation, and on a laptop it's got great battery life.
It's okay but probably gonna switch to Debian or Trisquel myself soon enough. Fedora is not stable.

Fedora all the way bro

Attached: tipsfedora.gif (335x237, 1.81M)

dnf vs apt: I don't really have a preference for either, but apt is a bit faster. dnf does use signature verification though so it's better than apt's just straight http downloads.

Both are distros for the impatient.

If you're too impatient to wait for the hot new versions of your software, fedora.
If you're too impatient to deal with naggy updates on a weekly basis, debian.

Attached: tumblr_op4kpvDPvp1s8am4ao2_1280.png (434x377, 76K)

I'm a fun of LXDE and been using it all along on Debian. Rarely use a DE to be honest as I am mostly completely on CLI. That's why switching to Fedora concerned me somewhat, as it's not something you hear a lot around here. Most people sperg about debian related or systemd-less distros and no real talk ever exists over opensuse, fedora and CentOS.
I'm very puzzled on what I should consider next moving from debian because i haven't had many third opinions to form a trial strategy if you know what I mean.
My main concern is software availability. Vast range of software that ACTUALLY WORKS. Debian stable served me well so far with that. But I can already see the limitations of using outdated software and having tricky procedures for installing proprietary software. I can cope with using a computer completely CLI-only, but still, I don't have a clue on what distro I should try next

In 28 (most recent version) Fedora allows you to enable nonfree repos with 1 click. Super easy. Mandatory upgrades every 9 months though.
Why do you need to migrate anyway?

bugs, nsa exploits always have the latest updates, also ugly wallpaper

I kind of feel stiff on Debian stable lately, and not really into changing my mind about debian by moving to testing versions.

Also want to try out an OS other than Windows and cancerous ubuntu that has actual people working on it and approving software before it gets pushed in the repos (only reason I used Debian stable so far), but that is also not so restrictive by obfuscating proprietary software installation behind thick walls.

Well Fedora's the one for you then. Unless you wanna go full autism and dive into arch-based.

Both are aimed at servers, Fedora being a reskinned Red Hat and Debian being a stable Debian Unstable. Use Gentoo instead.

I use Fedora because if you use relatively new hardware you know that it will work or work soon. How's Vega support for Debian out of the box? I don't know but if I had to guess I'd say probably not great. It's also nice getting updates to things like Gnome quickly. I'm also a big fan of how they're now making popular third party repositories braindead easy to enable(Steam mostly). I find that they have a solid policy for respecting freedoms without being freetards.

Don't get me wrong, Debian is pretty nice at what it does but I don't think it lines up with desktop use cases very well unless you run the testing streams which aren't really intended to be used as daily drivers.

the package manager and repository is worse, you know, the main part of a distro. Mainly the repository is much smaller. Debian has a better repository and you can add Ubuntu PPAs if you're not an idiot and know how to do AptPinning.

Also the way Debian organizes its configs are nicer than Red Hat IMO.

>fedora
>debian

Attached: 1528950602423.gif (500x382, 168K)

If you're running Fedora you're likely going to be running Debian testing or unstable, which has constantly updates.

>I'm just too scared to take the leap off apt package management
The Arch wiki has a handy guide.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

>gnome3

if you don't use i3 you should probably kill yourself