/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous thread:

Attached: 1509145565736.jpg (1500x998, 314K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/whatusmenlike
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: DlhtZuT.gif (500x271, 1002K)

First for $5 barrels and mainsprings.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180615_172314.jpg (2925x2926, 3.02M)

Attached: Philippe-Dufour-Duality-00-Platinum-5 (1).jpg (1600x1200, 369K)

it's going to be a while before i get another watch, but i think it'll be fois speedmaster, though the sinn 104 is really nice.

Attached: 1718collection.jpg (1520x802, 496K)

>exposed crown
Why? tudor, why?

first for fat

Attached: 1508119940952.jpg (968x968, 357K)

The black bays in general are designed after vintage tudor/rolex divers. So you get an exposed, large crown as a result.

Attached: 6538_BC_DP-e1427926620565.jpg (1198x1541, 234K)

Oh hey, I remember that pic from when Tudorfag was spamming it. Pic related.

What a strange coincidence.

Attached: 1523128496438.jpg (1520x802, 400K)

eh, mine's real, that guy is a total plague

Hey /wt/. Which watch would you guys recomend that is inder 100$ tough (very important), 200m water resistant, analog, solar or automatic (dont want to change batteries) Is there such a watch?

Thanks!

Casio MDV-106 covers all the bases except solar. It's big though.

12th for vintage Rolxes are built like shit and aren't worth the money at all.

If you don't stop posting about shitty Japanese watches I'm going to shoot this dog in the head.

Attached: dog abuot to fuckin die.jpg (1300x956, 128K)

/Amphibia/

Attached: 20180422_133132.jpg (2367x2367, 2.1M)

can you guys recommend any particular movements to buy for learning with? I want to learn some basics of servicing and maybe make my own shitter. The seagull ST36 (copy of ETA 6497) seems like a good start atm, but I'm not sure where to buy other than ebay.

Tudor Heritage Black Bay MT5602.

its a little out of my price range

Thoughts on the Breitling HERITAGE Superocean II...

Attached: shiteling superocean.jpg (1280x853, 303K)

...versus the Tudor HERITAGE Black Bay?

Attached: junk in the trunk22.jpg (1200x795, 171K)

this is the grail of the greasy sex tourist security guard at my office building

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Is your security guard Paul Pluta?

I really like the look of it, I like that over the Tudor it has a date, but I don't like that it comes on a shitty rubber strap unless you pay out the butthole to get a milanese of questionable quality. That said, I'm a big faggot for sunburst and the blue is very attractive.

archie is his idol and he watches his videos as gospel

Good too know, I'll head to an AD tomorrow and buy the Black Bay then.

Hey that's my watch in the OP

Attached: DSC_6531.jpg (1800x1200, 617K)

Congrats, you bought the "I want a Rolex but I don't really care about watches" Rolex.

I don't think so, does that look like a Sub to you?

The Sub is a sign of exquisite class and taste, the Explorer is just fucking embarrassing. It's just totally characterless, it's the "yep I walked into an AD and asked for a Rolex" watch.

could spot you as a "watch enthusiast" a mile off from the equal parts arrogance and stupidity

Attached: 1514270259929.png (733x464, 125K)

I'd be embarrassed for you if I had enough empathy for that to be the case. The Explorer is a fucking joke and a stain on the Rolex brand, if you aren't buying a Sub or a Day-Date just fuck off and kill yourself.

I'm not the one who owns the explorer. I'd be embarrassed to be you

You're the embarrassing one. Thinking all watches of a given brand are of equal value and quality is a retarded opinion, you're essentially arguing the Fifty Fathoms is as important as any other Blancpain 50s watch.

lol

xxxxxxxxxxxxxddddddddddddd

Yes, that's a good option

Show us what you got watch thread.

Attached: wristgame.jpg (640x640, 87K)

Attached: wristgaem.jpg (640x640, 111K)

level 80 wrist game.

Attached: IMG_1100.jpg (612x612, 52K)

instagram.com/whatusmenlike
This nigga just has wrist shots like those in his insta.

Wrist check /wt/

Attached: 20180616_082451.jpg (2358x2358, 2.11M)

Where's your beads?

Attached: IMG_1010.jpg (2592x1936, 1.35M)

Lange

Attached: IMG_1422.jpg (704x704, 115K)

Mine is on a 3 ring Zulu now.

Attached: WP_20180616_003.jpg (3072x1728, 1.54M)

Best Seiko for sub $400? Need waterproofing (working outside a lot)

Attached: IMG_1101.jpg (960x960, 158K)

In your mum's arse.

typical mad poorfaggot

Attached: Screen-Shot-2015-01-05-at-5.11.59-PM.png (852x1218, 879K)

Seiko SSG001?

Is solar and radio controlled, looks kitschy/expensive enough.

Fuck changing batteries and adjusting watch all the time.

How much abuse will the watch suffer?
If you're only worried about water resistance, a Seiko SARB(pic related) will be good for most of situations.
It's also a very versatile watch, it's like a poor man's Explorer I.
The only drawback is that Seiko has discontinued it and its value on the used market will only go up. Pick one while you can.
If you want a screw down crown for whatever reason/you want a true diver's watch, the Sumo is an equivalent choice, with the same mov't (6r15) and same exceptionally good finishing. (it although lacks the sapphire crystal, present on the SARB)
You want a cheaper diver? Get the SKX or the Orient Ray
If you know the watch is going to suffer a lot of abuse, I'd personally prefer a G-Shock (like mine, the GW-5610 at to have peace of mind. Pick one of the 6900 series to have something way uglier but with better button action.
It's overpriced, and has a ciclops that doesn't actually magnify.

Attached: seiko sarb.jfif.jpg (1000x1000, 155K)

Looks "cool" but I was thinking about something less sophisticated. As in just time and date would be enough.
This looks more up my alley but I'm not sure if I'll find one in EU. No abuse but occasional rain and maybe industrial dust and sand.
I'll look into ones you mentioned. I want something that would last me like 10 years, and won't look like shit after I change to my normal clothing from uniform.

Attached: IMG_20180616_102044.jpg (3120x2900, 984K)

Ok I'm kinda in love with SARB. One more question. How do automatic watches deal with vibration? Would they suffer if I'll say operate a small drill? What about driving on a shitty road?

Attached: IMG_1124.jpg (728x700, 149K)

So the seiko hater is a closet seiko lover?

it's like ex who he can't forget

No, he just stole that pic from the other guy.

now why would some autist take a pic like that? I don't want to be touching other nibbas just for the gram

Attached: Untitled.png (596x590, 737K)

>Would they suffer if I'll say operate a small drill? What about driving on a shitty road?
yes, shocks aren't good for mechanical movements

Would quartz or solar be a better choice then?

don't wear a mechanical watch for anything more than walking. Don't listen to autists online whose most strenuous activity is the morning coffee run, watches are very fragile and forking out $100s or waiting months on warranty for a service isn't fun.

Thank you. SARB is around $570 here so it would be a real shame to kill them by being a retard

that's a bit too much
where do you live? in europe on ebay you can find it around 420-500€ (not new)

I took my first mechanical on a night out and we ended up going on a very relaxed rollercoaster (think kid's ride at a small pop-up event). It got completely fucked, minutes off. That was a swiss "workhorse" movement that people on reddit regarded as a beater.

What watch was this? I punish mine with nh35s and ETAs in. Never had an issue.

nah fuck ebay I was looking at a local guy who resells JPN only watches

can't remember the reference but it was a tissot with an eta 2824-2

Claims like these don't really jive with the real world history of mechanical watches and chronos used in rally cars or fighter planes both high-G high vibration environments.

then it's obvious you're not going to make a good bargain

the chronos worn for the purpose of timing cars were worn by the people viewing it from the sidelines.

>outdoors, water, vibrations, sand...

Just step into the present for $60.

Attached: xiaomi bip.jpg (1180x660, 231K)

You're comparing something that was top of the line and pride of the company 90 years ago to modern budget chinese-made auto watches.

Actually they were worn by the drivers and co-driver if applicable and in some cases hard-mounted to the vehicle.

no ty

maybe you missed the part where user said his "swiss workhorse" broke on a childs rollercoaster

Attached: 200w.gif (200x113, 901K)

/casiogang/

and were exclusively the highest-end watches that get routinely serviced and/or replaced entirely

It sounds to me like the GW-M5610 fits your bill better than a Seiko desu.

And yet this watch can handle the vibrations & g-forces of a space launch.

Attached: 17331157_1_640.jpg (1600x1600, 175K)

Even if that were true, so what? how much further are you going to attempt to move the goalposts?

1861 is so brilliant.

>ETA 2824
>workhorse
>anything 28800bph
>workhorse
laughing_anime_girl.gif

Attached: etawear.jpg (640x457, 26K)

this watch has the highest probability of surviving the launch once*. Its brilliant, but to suggest it could cope with that continuously is ridiculous.
I wasn't moving the goalposts, I was explaining the conditions of your example. Its hardly comparable to the potential use-case of a entry level watch being thrown around and expecting to tick on fine.

These lugs look ridiculous.
Why is this the most common watch in the world?

Attached: image.jpg (652x1024, 222K)

>I wasn't moving the goalposts,
>oh you're talking about chinese watches
>oh those watches weren't actually In the cars
>ok they were in the cars but they were new or serviced
Nigger please.

Wtf are you talking about. The Sub is THE "I have a big rolex" watch.
The explorer and (OP in general) is the only good looking rolex there is.

I’ve worn all my automatics on my road bike down pretty potholey roads and they’re all fine: Seikos, Sellita, ETA. Except my 60s Omega.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x2208, 1.71M)

I was wrong about them not timing within the cars, but quality and use-case still applies. You're a retard if you think its a compatible situation to some guy taking his $500 watch out

You've been wrong about everything. You think everyone in the military and everyone who raced a car or bike only had top-end, brand new or freshly serviced watches?

Attached: m8.png (900x900, 72K)

I'm a vet and I've watched almost every automatic out there get sent away. Pretty much everyone wears digital casios/gshock

>wrong about everything
wrong about one thing (admitted) and right about everything else for which you still have no argument

Is this where all the cool guys are?

We're talking about the history of mechanical watches not your post-2000 adventures on a base somewhere.

this started as an argument against me saying this guy should not get a $500 automatic for use in rough conditions/activity. Fuck off. I also hope you realise that shock protection has only improved over time and many lower end watches now are comparable to the performance of relatively high end watches in the past. The average foot soldier could not afford one, and I would be very surprised if the majority on the field were not fucked after a short time period.

Attached: 20180615_154520.jpg (842x860, 546K)

Attached: 20180615_182734.jpg (1673x1673, 1.46M)

Ebay is fine

Tudor
I like the Breitling's design, surprisingly enough for the brand, but the Tudor is just better

Breitling looks better, and probably is better too.
I'd go with Breitling any day of the week, as long as it's not one of their big insane watches. This breitling watch is great. And Tudor is the most boring brand there is, if I'm being honest.