/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: linus_torvalds_with_toy_penguins.jpg (1200x794, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/67673/copy-paste-text-selections-between-tmux-and-the-clipboard
ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next/ubuntu
asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
unixguide.net/unix/faq/1.3.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for devuan

Attached: 1526556368357.jpg (730x430, 25K)

>opensuse developers spammed my twitter timeline with PRIDE messages
time to find a new distro for my servers

dont say Centos

Attached: 1466955840650.gif (279x219, 1.08M)

FreeBSD faggot

Do people actually exist that thinks no software anywhere exists that depends on systemd?

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1446961890809.gif (320x180, 1.95M)

They exist until you prove that such software exists (outside of the systemd affiliated software).

Solaris faggot

Nice strawman.

Maybe they are trying to tell you something, because the official openSUSE and SUSE twitters don't have anything PRIDE related.

honestly thought it over and im just gonna install gentoo. they seem apolitical.

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

So uhh maybe this is the wrong place to ask this but-
I have two routers acting as switches/dumb aps behind my main router (which I cannot change, due to the way FiOS works) running LEDE/openwrt, latest version, all that fun stuff.

Both are working perfectly fine as APs, both through wired and wireless, but I cannot pull the software package list, either through LuCI or by ssh through the opkg command.

My first thought was "Oh, maybe since they re-merged into the OpenWRT project maybe the url is wrong" or something but nope, through my desktop I can still download the packages. Where I get really confused is that I cannot ping google (ping -c 3 www.google.com) from the routers, but I can ping a local address (192.168.1.1, just for shits and giggles).

So every device connected to these routers can access the internet perfectly fine, but I cannot ping any external site from them. Does anyone have any idea what the fuck I need to configure to let them communicate with stuff outside of my network? I'll admit I'm not the brightest with networking stuff

systemctl depends on systemd

What is your reasoning for why you would expect that nothing does? What's the point in software if nothing depends on it?
$ egrep "Depends: .* systemd" /var/lib/apt/lists/* | wc -l

Meant for

How so?

>...I would like to see more fun in Gentoo, and a lot less politics, and in my apparent role as President of the Gentoo Foundation.....
>Daniel Robbins founder of gentoo

List the name of the specific piece of software and then point to its source where it mentions systemd as a specific, hard dependency. You still can't, because you're still a retard as in the last thread.

This is a simple request which you cannot fulfil, yet you still continue making these claims. You are as retarded as the flat Earth people or similar.

What's the best distro to learn if I actually want a job later?

I'm thinking the most popular Linux choices for corporations are Debian, Red Hat, and SUSE.

So I want to learn Debian.

Is that a good choice?

I fucked up.

I had some problems with nvidia 390 drivers on Ubuntu, something about unmet dependencies, tried to purge the install and updating it.

Now I get a black screen on startup and I can't do shit. Tried to boot on recovery mode, went with the update repository option, same, error related to nvidia.

Send help.

Means you faggots are too busy arguing some bullshit over systemd, I figured out my issue, and I'll post it in case it helps someone else.
For some reason my DNS wasn't specified, pointing it to my pihole instance fixed it.

Debian is good for small companies, big corporation use RPM based distros and love their GUI's.

chroot from live cd.

>and love their GUI's.
b-but Jow Forums told me i have to become a command line wizard... wtf.. all this time spent learning commands by heart.. for nothing?

It was all for nothing, but only if it doesn't matter to you whether or not you know how to use your computer.

You have to, however but rajesh wont be so diligent, that is why RedHat has a GUI for almost every system configuration.

Nobody's saying that nothing depends on systemd, the systemd haters love saying everything does though and that's the actual issue here, the fact that they confuse package dependencies with actual dependencies is hilarious though.

he seemed pretty good desu, also seems fairly right wing in recent years which is rare in the freetard community.

plus gentoo isnt using poettering crapware. ill give it a shot next week.

Challenging people to name software that depends on systemd implies that you think none exists, going on to quibble about what depends means is pointless autism and wildly missing the point.

Based

Stop trying to worm yourself out, you like saying everything depends on systemd yet you still can't point to one such program, now you can either start backing up your claim or shut the fuck up.

What does specific hard dependancy mean and why is it relevant to me as a user? If I try to install a thing and it tries to bring down systemd how is that not a dependancy? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm trying to understand what your objection is.

>saying everything depends on systemd
No one said that.

This wouldn't had happened with systemd-resolved because it defaults to 8.8.8.8 :^).

>you still can't point to one such program
Going off the previous thread it looks like KDE. Now can you morons go away!

Daemons in general work just fine no matter what init systems you use, if a daemon package pulls systemd as a dependency that just means that the package maintainer ships it with a systemd unit but this still doesn't mean it actually depends on systemd, on a distro that ships with sysvinit the same daemon probably ships with an initscript instead and won't pull systemd as a dependency.

This retard did:

You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libglx0:i386 : Depends: libglx-mesa0:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libglx-vendor:i386
libnvidia-ifr1-390 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-390 but it is not going to be installed
libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-390:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

This is the problem, I removed the card, using an ATI 5670 right now.

How can I get rid of this shit, then move to ATI drivers?

Tried the suggested command and it did nothing.

I dislike KDE but it's the only viable, or only, option for Manjaro that uses QT. Convince me to use KDE over XFCE.

Attached: 1409123255150.png (187x208, 53K)

why would you ever use xfeces

Yes.

>doesn't mean it actually depends on systemd
What does it matter who is responsible?

Lighterweight DE but when I look at how much KDE uses it's really not much more. I assume it adds on if I cover my damn desktop with widgets. Still I'm familiar with XFCE because I use Xubuntu on my Thinkpad. It just doesn't feel the same on Manjaro XFCE.

it cannot be..
but i'll still get to use the command line when working with Red Hat, right? the GUI is j-just optional, right?

What?

Because you cannot claim things that are objectively wrong.

If you don't like something about a package, package it yourself. That way you can remove optional dependencies and your package manager won't install dependencies that you don't want.

KDE is an organisation. You don't even know what KDE or KDE Plasma are. Not even going to mention that you still didn't provide proof that KDE Plasma and its components hard depend on systemd.

Why are you still posting? You are lacking basic knowledge required to participate in these threads. Stop wasting everyone's bandwidth on your retardation, retardo.

>If I try to install a thing and it tries to bring down systemd how is that not a dependancy?
There's actually not just dependencies (necessary for the program to work), but also recommendations (install these unless you know why you shouldn't), suggestions (don't install these unless you know why you should) and enhancements but i forgot what those do

Im having this issue where my computer completely freezes up. Running debian and it seems to happen with deluge. Im not sure whats causing it but it will happen every few days and cause me to restart it (pc is on 24/7). Any ideas?

After reading about many people having issues with nvidia I'm finally done with this shit. It gave me problems from the very beginning and now my package manager is broken.

Reinstalling Ubuntu and going with ATI. I don't play video games anymore so I don't really give a fuck.

Attached: 1464886780713.jpg (450x370, 17K)

bad disks?

If you don't play videogames, use the free drivers for Nvidia. They are equally problem free if your hardware supports them.

Any fellow KDE user in here? I've always had this issue in KDE but i thought it was a Kubuntu bug. However, it also happens in my Antergos install so this bug is not related to that.
Even though the numpad is not set to move the cursor, until you update the option, it still does and resets on startup.
Do you know where coul I notify the development team about this issue?

Attached: nicekde.webm (1366x768, 518K)

>I just found out there's a command called "whatis" and i'm loving it
>I love it too. Made a script that displays a random result when the shell starts.

I read this and wanted to make my own "script" for that.
I added the following two lines to .bashrc
randomcommand=$(compgen -c | shuf -n 1)
whatis $randomcommand

I'm too much of a noob to do it in one line though

Have you made sure that it's the computer and not just the GUI? Try leaving an SSH server running and logging in over the network when the computer is "frozen".

That's clever. Saved.
>one line
whatis $(compgen -c | shuf -n 1)

Is it a good idea to get a chromebook and put a linux distro on it?

My solution. It works around the "whatis: nothing appropriate" problem by looping until a valid results shows up.

rndwhatis() {
genwhatis() {
whatis $(compgen -c | shuf -n 1) 2>/dev/null \
|| genwhatis
}; genwhatis
}; rndwhatis

I like using tmux but I hate that I can't copy and paste to and from it. How do I do it? I tried this unix.stackexchange.com/questions/67673/copy-paste-text-selections-between-tmux-and-the-clipboard but it doesn't work.

If I install a program by cloning the git and qmake, make, make install how do I uninstall the program?

You can't. Create a package if you want a proper solution. There are helpers like checkinstall on Debian based distros.
That said, makefiles indeed support "make uninstall", but people rarly implement it.

Open the makefile and check where it copies files to, delete.

>Ubuntu 18.04
>Discover keeps not working (goes right to installer without any options to update)
>Muon fails to update as well (no error details)
>try to use sudo apt-get update

>Err:8 ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next/ubuntu bionic Release
>404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
>Reading package lists... Done
>E: The repository 'ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
>N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
>N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

How do i resolve this. the apt-secure page doesnt give me any meaningful information

Didn't bother to read the link

^B[ then nagivate around and press space to select
press enter to copy and exit select mode
^B] to paste

When it comes to python scripts, should I be making them executable? Or should I always invoke them by typing python scriptname.py instead of ./scriptname.py?

Is there any "risk" in making them executable rather than invoking the interpreter?

If it's okay to make them executable, should I restrict the execute permissions to only the script that actually gets run? For example, if I have other scripts that get imported to the main script, they don't need to be executable? I should just leave them without execute permissions?

I am using manjaro. Why the hell are some software and packages installed back during an update when I explicitely deleted them before? Wtf is this shit? I dont want bloat that I deleted

>There are helpers like checkinstall on Debian based distros.
Checkinstall apparently supports Slackware and RPM too.
asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

I'm reading that ATI/AMD graphics drivers are installed by default in Ubuntu, but I'm experiencing some noticeable screen tearing, I also don't have any kind of software like Nvidia Servers to edit my preferences.

How should I proceed to install the correct drivers?

What's a working man's DE?

that ppa doesn't provide any package for 18.04, what are you trying to get?

post your xorg log, it should be in /var/log

Plasma

I said working man's.

Oh I thought actual serious work for money.
In your case for ricing and watching gay anime I recommend not using DE at all

unixguide.net/unix/faq/1.3.shtml

what about arch?

I did. Isn't KDE for ricing?

>should I be making them executable? Or should I always invoke them by typing python scriptname.py instead of ./scriptname.py?
Personal preference.
However, making them executable has one advantage: you may have two separate Python versions installed on your system side-by-side: python2 and python3.
If you have a lot of Python scripts, you may have to think "is this a python2 script or a python3 script?"
By adding the Shebang to the script and making it executable, it will "just work" and you don't have to think about that.
You can even drop the .py ending in the filename.

>Is there any "risk" in making them executable rather than invoking the interpreter?
Not that I'm aware of.

>If it's okay to make them executable, should I restrict the execute permissions to only the script that actually gets run? For example, if I have other scripts that get imported to the main script, they don't need to be executable? I should just leave them without execute permissions?
Just try it

I don't have such file.

If you are using the radeon kernel module, you can add a config to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with these contents:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TearFree" "on"
Option "ColorTiling" "on"
Option "ColorTiling2D" "on"
EndSection

Don't know about amdgpu or whatever alternatives there are

I just realized that systemd is called systemd because it's a system daemon

really activates my almonds

>man pyreverse

>-s , --show-associated=
show associated classes. =1 will only take classes directly related to the
classes in the project, while =2 will also take all classes related to those fetched
by=1.

which one will he choose?

Attached: 002.jpg (600x286, 58K)

OBS (yes I'm that guy from the last thread)
I went to the Website and checked the section on how to install it and added the kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next package like an idiot. now When trying to remove it, the console says the package doesnt exist.

How do I even edit my display settings if using nouveau drivers for Nvidia?

I tried using the display settings interface, I tried editing monitors.xml and nothing works, my changes still resetting on reboot.

What is the best distro?

So, can't seem to get my nvidia card to pass properly through to my VM. This is the script I've tweaked from an user in the thread.
#!/bin/bash
cp /usr/share/ovmf/x64/OVMF_VARS.fd /tmp/my_vars.fd

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 10024 -cpu host,kvm=off \
-smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
-drive file=/media/ssd2/VM/win.img,id=disk,format=qcow2,if=none \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.1,drive=disk \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,x-vga=on -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 \
-boot order=cd \
-drive file=/home/toucan/W10.2016.LTSB.X64.en-US.iso,index=1,media=cdrom \
if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/ovmf/x64/OVMF_CODE.fd \
-drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/tmp/my_vars.fd \
-vga none -nographic

Issue though is that switching to the monitors I have hooked up to it has no input. There's no display. Do I need to install the OS and the drivers first, and THEN add the PCI device?

Fucking novideo man, this is advanced jewery.

Attached: 1464391181079.jpg (960x1280, 136K)

Whichever one I like more than you.

Just try out a bunch a pick one you like. Most are pretty similar anyway.

$ whatis compgen
compgen: nothing appropriate.

hardened gentoo
go big or go home

Hi anons, looking for help getting a wireless logitech mouse to work on my Manjaro laptop. I've never had any problem using mine at home but I'm travelling and haven't used one in a month or so. An user was trying to help me out last night but I had to pass out before the issue was fixed so hopefully they'll see this here. Anyway this is the last few lines from running
dmesg | tail -n 100
[ 6050.621947] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
[ 6064.774137] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 6066.752104] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
[ 6070.662149] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 6073.302191] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[ 6172.165405] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 6180.926529] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
[ 6689.159914] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 8
[ 6693.586305] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 6796.862924] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 6830.801419] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 7014.300895] lomoco[10980]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f86cb916fa5 sp 00007fffde6f5b10 error 4 in libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4[7f86cb914000+4000]
[ 7023.693701] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 7028.800348] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[ 7031.205400] lomoco[11013]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f5545193fa5 sp 00007fffeba6e7d0 error 4 in libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4[7f5545191000+4000]
[ 7050.532929] lomoco[11028]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f6b13c82fa5 sp 00007ffeddffd1b0 error 4 in libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4[7f6b13c80000+4000]
[ 7306.393609] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 5
[ 7313.833249] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[20354.726632] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 6
[20361.201193] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd

Debian

>the console says the package doesnt exist.
you're not trying to remove a package, you're trying to remove a ppa, look up how to do that

Attached: 1471753392188.png (1200x750, 633K)

amdgpu has fewer options, but DRI and TearFree are there. You probably don't need any other options than those two.

pacman has makepkg

Hello, I just transferred from Kubuntu to Xubuntu. I use atom as my text editor and I used to run it from the Kubuntu terminal as:

>atom hello.c

but now that I'm using Xubuntu, it shows "permission denied. no protocol selected". what should i do?

also, i downloaded atom from packet manager instead of their website (if that changes anything) it also kinda looks different than the atom that i downloaded in Kubuntu (which I downloaded online)

are u running as root?

i made my account admin, how is root different and like how do i change it? (sorry for asking)