Attached: kde.png (2880x1800, 607K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1035802
bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1034239
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Manjaro. It is more Jow Forums

opensuse because it's not a one-man show spinoff of a distro

OpenSUSE
They have patched away a lot of the GNOME/GTK braindamage so you now have thumbnails in Firefox file picker and everything scales properly according to your monitor's DPI set in Xorg.

Use OpenPEPE, manjaro is a meme distro.
>using gtk ever

what is the status with shitty drivers for nvidia graphics card on laptops (commonly known as Optimus technology)?

Tumbleweed or Leap?

>>using gtk ever
Believe me, I'm running on Qt as much as I can, but there's still a few programs that insist on using GTK.

OpenSUSE has an additional repo with proprietary Nvidia drivers that can be enabled from YaST.

Leap if you depend on proprietary drivers (Nvidia) or just want the stability above all else. You can also choose to only update with zypper patch which only updates known vulnerabilities.
Tumbleweed is rolling but very robust. Good when you want the latest stuff and are not constrained by proprietary drivers. I only had one minor incident which was resolved by reinstalling the offending package. Updates are pushed roughly every week and you always do a full distro upgrade with zypper dup

thanks i always wanted to try out the famous YaST

Void

YaST isn't all that good. It has some very good parts (package manager, network config), but everything else is meh.
YaST definitely isn't the reason I like OpenSUSE.

Why do you like it ? Why is it better choice than Manjaro?

why do you like opensuse user?

zypper is the best CLI package manager
OBS is AUR done right
even the rolling release is stable as fuck
patched GTK and GNOME brain damage
best installer I've seen - partitioner capable of LVM, RAID, BTRFS, iSCSI, FC, NFS, tmpfs, etc.; able to select exactly which packages get installed
snapper makes BTRFS snapshots before every update and they can be booted into from GRUB if anything goes wrong (if you have BTRFS on /, I don't)
easily switch between static network config and NetworkManager from YaST
network configuration in YaST is able to handle everything, including bridging and bonding

>cant renew a certificate on time
yeah, sounds like Jow Forums

>slower than average
>fucks up and just ignores it
Agreed

thanks for this info user
I was thinking to go with Net install. What do you think? Or should I just go with Leap and stop complicating

I just saw on their website there is 3.6GB(yikes!) insatllation and "Live" with 950MB(KDE) . Does this mean that I can go with Live KDE and install the minimal KDE without all the bloat from regular 3.6GB installation?

opensuse if you have to choose between the two but both are bloat

Leap and Tumbleweed are the regular and rolling releases.
Both have the full DVD image (~4GB), Live image (~1GB), and Net install (~100MB).
Go with the Net install, there's no point in the other images unless you don't have network connection.

Also, no matter what image, the packages that get installed are configurable.
Just select the minimal install during the installation and you'll get to choose package groups and individual packages as well.

>Just select the minimal install during the installation and you'll get to choose package groups and individual packages as well.
this goes for all or just Net install?

I am currently on Kubuntu 18.04, pretty comfy, but I was thinking of trying OpenSUSE.
Gecko really caught my eye, since it's basically OpenSUSE with proprietary media codecs + good font rendering OOTB. Also, it has images based on Leap, Tumbleweed, and there's also the Next image, that is like KDE Neon (stable base, always updated KDE packages).
Is it good Anons? Anyone have any experience with it?

Tumbleweed's also fine if you're rolling the nvidia drivers DKMS style

This goes for the DVD image and for Netinstall.
I've never used the Live image so I don't know about that.
The only difference between the DVD and Netinstall is that the DVD contains a package repo and Netinstall has to download everything.

I tried configuring a sane, non bloated SUSE install once and found that the patterns are a huge pain in the ass, and simply disabling recommended packages removes a lot of important things you do want. Maybe I'm a brainlet but you should probably try it in a VM first.

Metapackages are a problem in most distros but they exist to make the babbies lives easier. MOST users won't have a problem installing an extra gigaabyte of garbage just to get one program running. That's why every package manager has optional dependencies, too.

Only problem with suse is that they use some nonstandard as fuck package names so without some advanced zypper knowledge getting everything right is kinda tough.

thanks i guess i will have to go with DVD image because i cant afford to not have running PC while Net install downloads everything and installs it even tho it will be smaller than 4GB i guess it will go slower than installing from DVD image.

Optimus only works with nouveau and PRIME

Optimus status: severe regret and killing yourself

If you are fine with every single thing you want to install not being in the repos and needing to add the equivalent of a ppa every time use opensuse.

also
bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1034239

OBS is closer to AUR than ppas. Also it doesn't cause your package manager to explode because zypper isn't garbage like apt.

>should I eat shit in a sandwich, or eat it as a wrap?
Protip: you're still eating shit

>Set zypper to install recommended packages
>get mad when it installs recommended packages
Stay mad, recommend/suggest fags.

>use shitty defaults that cause issues no other distro has
>shove head up ass and say umad to everybody that points it out

You wouldn't happen to be rbrownsuse would you

Literally apt has that *2.

apt has Recommend and Suggest, two redundant categories for installing bullshit you don't intend to install. There's probly more hidden categories of it, too, because debian's package format is garbage.

We are talking about opensuse here

Sure and you can disable it in zypper easier than in apt. This is not something no other distro has, this is something almost universal.

Lunduke doesn't have anything to do with OpenSUSE anymore, so it's probably worth trying now.

kubuntu

also never use manjaro

why never?

openSUSE, because it's less Jow Forums
meaning it actually works

>Unstable.
>Not for servers.
>Not for doing real work.
>Great for ricing.

Sounds really Jow Forums-like to me.

openSUSE's package management and updates annoyed the shit out of me

So I'm using Manjaro again

>holds packages just for the sake of having a delay from arch
>doesnt really test before releasing so few arch-related problems arise
>due to the delay, a bunch of manjaro-unique problems also are born
>more unstable than "bleeding edge arch"
>this
>and this
>attractive to brainlets like this
>cant design an original logo
Basically the same tier of "appeal to dumb users > appeal to every user" like Mint that is also popular.

>update manjaro
>Some program doesn't work.
>Arch gets an update that corrects the error in 3 minutes.
>Manjaro users are stuck with the broken version for 2 weeks.

This has happen to me so many fucking times...

Use the "unstable" repository then

Debian Sid.

Arch.

You could have just stopped with Btrfs snapshots. That feature alone makes Opensuse worth using.

>AUR
>Arch's Unstable Repository

The full-sized install image includes other DEs and a bunch of optional programs that you get to pick during installation, I would be surprised if they don't have the same version of KDE on both

I get why you'd have nvidia on windows for games
but why would you put it in a linux device?
support is horrible at best and looking at wayland it's only getting worse

or was linux just an afterthought, like dual booting?

And what's your reason for using Manjaro?

I see, well i guess the better option is to go with Live since its smaller
i bought this laptop long before i started to tinker with linux and then i abandoned windows forever,im in no way a gamer or such

just don't use it to install, is not supported iirc
use the netinst image if you're into minimal installs

Yes this, either use the net install or DVD image because the live installer will fail very hard. It shouldn't be in it in the first place but some decision was agreed upon for user experience sake, which is kinda dubious desu

thanks, i actually thought to use Live for installing now i know not to do it
I will use DVD image

I tried a lot of distros and for me most stable are arch based manjaro and antergos. From debian based only usable is pure debian and only for server usage. Redhat based are not bad, but sometimes install something is painful.

Attached: screen_17-06-18_13-34-57.png (1920x1200, 1.35M)

Antergos, if you don't want to waste your time on Arch install.

What about security? I heard yast makes configuring SELinux less annoying.

Switched from Debian, never looking back.

Attached: neofetch-2018-06-17-02-41-41-23334.png (1280x800, 1.1M)

Current neon maybe not great, but good.

Attached: 1509277172248.jpg (252x200, 9K)

Trisquel

I dont even understand what does Manjaro brings to the table? Why would anyone use it ? Easier instalation? Fine use Antergos,Architect or whatever other Arch gui installer...

Zypper and OBS are good, but not as good as pacman
Rpms are objectively worse than pkgbuilds
The real supreme package manager is Nix.
Nix expressions are just like pkgbuilds but better (fully functional, declarative, no side effects) but do require a nix runtime. Nix is the real king of package management.

Opensuse and leap for that case.

user, why are you trying to emulate the OSX look?
I'm asking because I'm on pretty much vanilla Leap 15 and love her just they way she is

Don't like the default icons desu, osx look-alikes are the best looking, same with WM. Don't care if it looks like OSX. If you have better themes to suggest I'm all ears.

Manjaro is nice because you can install a shittone of software really quickly. The repos have everything, and anything that's not there is on the AUR. And its installation is easier and faster than Arch.

However, it's Arch based, so you have to deal with all the usual Arch nuances. Also as Manjaro is behind in terms of packages with Arch it is not 100% AUR compatible.

My point is why not use something like Antergos or the real thing itself which is Arch, compared to some shitty hack that have incompetent devs?

I got nothing desu, I'm fine with the defaults and on the X230 I usually hide taskbar and border anyway

Post scrot, you use a dock or something? I find taskbar useful for info widgets like wifi/sound.