Vscode

The only reason why vscode is not the perfect text editor is because there is no ncurses version.

Attached: images.png (225x224, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/october/article2.php
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=17afcbb14df90637&tk=1cg5hm4dl1e7v3t7&from=serp&vjs=3
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=17afcbb14df90637&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7bbfaa00ba02ce07&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=d1ef876fe11bc99f&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=8b3e057d8831c20b&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3
asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nah its still the best editor

On a serious note now. Vim is the best editor because of the workflow. Once you learn the shortcuts, you can do things lighting fast compared to vscode plebs or similar. Whoever says shit like >but teh lerning kurve is a brainlet who can't learn simple shortcuts and doesn't deserve to use the optimal editor.

if that logic follows, vscode + vim shortcuts = fastest workflow

Not really, as vscode with vim shortcuts would be Vim again :/ Also Vim has Vimscript which is cool too!

implying I didn't change vim for vscode, I use the vim shortcuts, but vimscript is retard.

reminder Vim can't properly display unbroken vertical indent lines like VScode can.

Vimscript is cool, I use it to automate some things and you can also create plugins.
I didn't have any problems until now, can you post an example?

>Vimscript is cool,
are you a sysadmin? you can't say you are a programmer and call vimscript a cool language. Its horrible done.

>Vimscript is cool, I use it to automate some things and you can also create plugins.

so what? vscode has a whole browser power (JS + webkit), emacs has a powerful lisp on it, other editors supports python or java as plugin language. vimscript its more like very bad designed state machine.

No because vscode is a bloated piece of shit with a one second delay between every keypress.

you haven't even tried for sure. The only way to keep vim fast is to not use shitty plugins at all, vscode works as fast as vim BUT vscode its even faster when you work with autocomplete and bloated APIs like Java or ,NET becuse uses asynchronous methods. Try to autocomplete inside a long project in vim and its slow as fuck. Try also to communicate two windows inside vim and it behaves very dumb the console inside vscode is very responsive.

I am a programmer, yes. I rarely use Vimscript, but it's quite cool when I have to automate some file editing. It serves it's purpose.
I really dislike JS :P. As I said, Vim serves it's purpose for automating Vim editing.

I actually don't use it when I am developing. I used it when for example I has 50 links which are almost the same except for the one number which indicated the image number. I just made a loop that pastes the link with the variable inside and increases the variable by one. It is kind of weird but it serves its purpose.

I have tried it, and it took ages to start (a text editor should not take more than 1 ms to start), used several hundred MB ram and was noticeably slow doing editing operations.
I don't use garbage like autocompletion, just annoying and gets in the way.

>I have tried it, and it took ages to start (a text editor should not take more than 1 ms to start), used several hundred MB ram and was noticeably slow doing editing operations.

idk if thats true in your shitty windows world, but on GNU/Linux opens as fast as vim

vscode is not visual studio.

And yet it uses HUNDREDS OF MEGABYTES of ram, what the fuck?
It's a text editor, not an operating system.
A text editor shouldn't need much more than a buffer for every text file, so in the case of typical source files, a few K.
So a sanely programmed text editor should use maybe 1MB ram at the most.

except for all the code checking and autocompletion

you can use notepad for what you want

why do text editors need so many bells and whistles? Just get proficient in a simple program like vim, notepad++, emacs, or just anything that is normal. Not a bloated webpage-looking program that takes up a shitload of ram. Its just a damn text editor with syntax highlighting :o

>except for all the code checking
You have your brain for that.
>and autocompletion
Typing is the least time consuming part of programming by orders of magnitude.

>, emacs, or just anything that is normal.

ayylmao, why people on Jow Forums likes to talk without even trying thing? are you sure emacs is not bloated? its maybe the most bloated editor its a fucking operating system.

I don't like it to be honest and I'm long time VS user. Like the whole point of VS is to have project you are able to configure easily (linker, build, etc.) and compile it straight away, it has good debugging tools, it helps you with your syntax, with autocompletion, so you are less likely to make mistake, etc. I tried VS Code and I just keep using Kate and Gedit on Linux honestly. I know it's kind of plebian choice but my idea behind it is, why I should use bloated VS Code heavy on memory when I can use other text editor that will just highlight the syntax for me and is simple to use. I have to create the linker and makefile for myself anyway, so what's the big deal. I admit I never liked emacs and when I need edit small files I use nano.

Why should anyone take your autistic advice again sweetie?

why high memory usage is bad anyway? are you using a 3MB RAM pc? no.

everyone here at least have a 4GB ram pc/thinkpad and if you don't, well, you have a point but in a general sense, it doesn't matter.

right now i'm using a 8GB Ubuntu pc with vscode, quartus prime, firefox (15+ tabs), telegram and discord open. without lag or any kind of freezing.

i've used vim for a long time but it still doesn't feel good or necessary imo.

Attached: 1516127566517.jpg (736x552, 75K)

>:P
stopped reading there

Because I want to be able to run other programs than VS Code, that's why. You have also web browser opened, maybe you are listening to music etc. Using a lot RAM and "We all have a lot ram" is not an excuse. I don't want to think about my RAM usage at all but I have to because developers of software are not thinking about it at all.

>Because I want to be able to run other programs than VS Code
ayylmao , how much ram do you have? 1 gb?, I have 8 and sometimes even have windows 7 running in openbox without noticing it. Get a job and buy a good pc.

> Using a lot RAM and "We all have a lot ram" is not an excuse
but it is, that is my point. nowadays everyone have tons of RAM and we shouldn't be concerning about RAM usage anymore.

> I don't want to think about my RAM usage at all but I have to because developers of software are not thinking about it at all.
they are, at a certain point of course. they won't try to optimize their software to usage the same RAM as vim for example.

Vim script is the worst thing about vim.

>nowadays everyone have tons of RAM and we shouldn't be concerning about RAM usage anymore
This is what non Engineers actually believe.

> This is what non Engineers actually believe.
this is funny because by the end of the year i'll have a degree in computer engineering.

Why you need more than 8GB RAM for web browsing and files editing? I'm not going to upgrade just because you can't write websites and software.

>This is what non Engineers actually believe.

lol you clearly are not an engineer, the only ones who cares about ram are embedded engineers. One of the hardest areas E.E. are full of windows shitty users who gives a fuck about using bloated software. I think I am one of the fews who still uses spice, freecad etc and GN/Linux as main OS. My cooworkers uses eclipse crap for embedded devlopment.

The add-on support for vim emulation on vscode and vs is extremely lacking. I tried using these for windows at work and none of my usual shit worked. I find the best solution for vim on windows 10 right now is WSL with X server then configure the linux way.

Well I literally am an embedded engineer, and unlike the pajeets of the world who don't have hardware constraints, I have to justify every byte, precisely because my shit runs on user hardware that has to stay cheap.

Memory usage matters. It's not the main bottleneck right now in most applications, but it's not something we ought to get complacent about.

> I'm not going to upgrade just because you can't write websites and software.

no, you won't upgrade because you have no job and money, I used to think like you when I was a teenager and had only 128Mb of ram.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

>no, you won't upgrade because you have no job and money
If you say so.

you designing something: you should be concerned
you using something: you shouldn't concern at all. if the software is using MUCH MORE than it should AND you can't use any more program because of that, then you shouldn't use it. simple as that.

I don't use it for that reason incidentally.
That and the loading time.

*and by using i mean any kinds of resources.

This.

>That and the loading time.
I had problems with Atom's loading time but VScode is not that slow imo.

I mean compared to an IDE, sure, but compared to neovim or emacs, there's no question. And though it's probably easier to configure, i don't really care at this point, i have all the features I need in my neovim setup and i can open a file instantenously with it, which code doesn't do.

I did use code extensively doing some indie gamedev with unity on windows and it was nice there, but it doesn't compare to the standards of reactivity i'm used to on a nix machine.

>Well I literally am an embedded engineer, and unlike the pajeets of the world who don't have hardware constraints

dude you don't know what your talking about, on my working machine for example I have 4 logic analyzers conected and I need a good amount of ram because sometimes I have to virtualize other architectures and fetch data from the logic analyzers. As I said a lot of my cooworkers don't give a fuck about how much ram uses their IDE, they even uses eclipse shit because its what most embedded frameworks encourages to use (I don't use it).
Yesterday for example I had to process 1Gb of packets from a malfunctioning unit.

t. NEET

>And though it's probably easier to configure, i don't really care at this point
I did care a lot. Spent hours searching and testing vim plugins that suit my taste. But in the end, code's integration with everything else was much better.

also, it's good to mention that i've NEVER used neovim or gvim, only vim in the terminal for the "true" feeling of vim, which made me move in the end, ironically.

eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/october/article2.php

literally ALL embedded companies uses eclipse as main IDE.

You're missing my point entirely.
I'm saying that the assertion that we shouldn't care about ram usage on user machine, of any nature, is preposterous, be that user a developer or not.

I really don't give a shit what your personal setup looks like unless it involves vscode, which would be relevant to this discussion.

Doesn't mean you have to like it.
I have to use Eclipse for Java development and my company are a bunch of cheap bastards who won't give me hardware so I test everything on my machine and it freezes constantly.

Fuck Eclipse. It's terrible.

>Doesn't mean you have to like it.

No , I hate eclipse, I don't use it, but its almost "de facto" IDE of embedded developers

nobody mentions sublime text
jesus, what happened to this board

Program with just half a press for maximum minimalism

No this is exactly what an enginigger would say

There is no such thing as a half press

vim emulation in vscode isn't great yet.
the performance is sluggish (try using macros, it's slow as shit), and takes a good 5 seconds to load the vim extension each startup.
hopefully they'll do some good work with the neovim integration but for the time being actual vim is heaps faster

Attached: 1466661121380.png (960x950, 1.31M)

Kicks you down and rapes you with its tail.

Attached: notepad-logo_400x400.png (400x400, 62K)

windows fags are disgusting.

Notepad++ is for fizzbuzzers

Vim is for NEETs

npp is barely better than regular notepad, now that notepad has support for lf

vims is more than a text editor, almost all serious text editors supports vim keyboard. Even codewars based platforms allows you to use vim keyboard.

Because that's all you really need to edit text files. All the extra useless shit you see in Vim is only for the NEET fags to waste their time ricing their Linux DEs.

there are literally jobs asking for vim fags
indeed.com/viewjob?jk=17afcbb14df90637&tk=1cg5hm4dl1e7v3t7&from=serp&vjs=3

is not a meme

You mean anyone who have to work an a remote machine?

That you, TJ Henry Yoshi?

indeed.com/viewjob?jk=17afcbb14df90637&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3

indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7bbfaa00ba02ce07&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3

indeed.com/viewjob?jk=8b3e057d8831c20b&tk=1cg5hpjl71e7v2ee&from=serp&vjs=3

if you have a career in editing text files then it's worth optimizing your workflow

you are the equivalent of an office worker printing out an excel spreadsheet only to retype the data into another one

>how to prove you've never had a job in the IT industry, ever

Nothing in Vim "optimizes your workflow." If you need to do anything beyond basic text editing you get in nano and notepad++, you should be wiring a proper script in a sane scripting language. Not some untested cryptic one liners that you half-assed together in Vim. This goes double for any live server that your are remoting into.

>The only reason why vscode is not the perfect text editor is
Everything about it.

you are so cool

>nano
>notepad++
How do you delete anything(of arbitrary size) inside a delimiter, in any one of those editors?

>Nothing in Vim "optimizes your workflow."
oh, so moving the mouse around or waiting for the cursor to move its faster than muscular memory, you are clearly a brainlet who has no idea what a real TTY is .

>is because there is no native rendered version without ms "telemetry".
ftfy
>On a serious note now. vim is the best editor because of the workflow. Once you learn the shortcuts, you can fizzbuzz lighting fast
ftfy

Write a script in some language, check that it deletes only what you need deleted, and run it on the file.

>On a serious note now. Vim is shitty implemented garbage from a time when keyboard had half the keycount. Kakoune fixes this crap.

But will it get consolidated with Atom, now that both belong to MS

> asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html
>We’ve done a cool $50 million of R & D on the Apple Human Interface. We discovered, among other things, two pertinent facts:
> - Test subjects consistently report that keyboarding is faster than mousing.
> - The stopwatch consistently proves mousing is faster than keyboarding.

This. Probably the result of the human mind being focussed on latency, but mousework having higher potential for throughput.

on vim you are not typing whole commands
:w
$
/
m
n
its almost one key always.

:w its much faster than file save for sure

bad example
>ctrl+s+cr
vs
>colon + w + cr (assuming you're not in input mode)
Input mode
>esc+colon+w+cr

But seriously though
>write file and quit
:x
>delete anything in delimiter
:di*delimiter*
>cut anything in delimiter and enter input mode
:ci*delimiter*

this and the fact you can rename your commands.

Vim gets too slow when you start to add more plugins.

>all these text editor choices that have been around sunce the beginning of Unix
>Microsoft vscode out of boredom
>vscode eclipses every other editor over night

EMACS is much better.

Share your extensions ITT...

Attached: Screenshot_20180617_081448.png (822x1796, 318K)

New wave of newfags it happens every few years. I switched to vscode from sublime cause I'm a cheap kike and like free.

christ, how many rainbow extensions do you have?

unironically this

i was skeptical because Electron, but the thing is lightning fast

I have been ignoring Microsoft for about a decade now, so I literally fell off my chair the first time I heard that VSCODE was free and available on macOS.

I still don't trust Microsoft, but man, is Visual Studio ever sweet.

Every minute spent attempting to code in Eclipse takes five hours off your life. It's worse than smoking or drinking. It kills.

There's two and they do completely different things, completely different useful things.

I bet you use only 2 of those at best.

use nvim

i've been learning vim, by using it for ad-hoc text editing, for ages and i still can't switch to it over a proper ide

i feel like i'm missing something

because it's developed by Microsoft, otherwise you would have shit like Atom