Do you call it patch cable or ethernet cable?

Do you call it patch cable or ethernet cable?

Attached: 2992-1[1].jpg (1000x1000, 52K)

CAT5e/CAT6 etc

I call it a wifi cable

Attached: wifi-cable.jpg (1944x2592, 971K)

network delivery interface

Ethernet. I'll only call it a patch cable if it's shorter, like less than 6 ft.

holy shit I was gonna make a joke about calling it an "internet cable" but this is worse AND it's real

Attached: 1518212406422.jpg (700x520, 84K)

Cat5. Who calls it a patch cable?

>using cat5 in 2018
Why

Angry pixies bus.

Not all ethernet are cat5 or cat6 though.

Ethernet cable when using it as part of an ethernet network, patch cable when crimping it, using it generically, or using it for a serial connection, and cat5-o-nine-tails in the bedroom

Attached: cat5-20110524-104609.jpg (640x468, 62K)

cat5e is literally all you need unless your ISP is the NASA or something

>etc

Finally bought RJ-45 crimper.
Watched vid about cat 5 & 6, technique.
Life is Good.
Would highly recommend.

Attached: asuka-neon-genesis-evangelion.jpg (736x1104, 79K)

Then you specify if you have it terminated with some weird shit

It's not rocket surgery

I call it lan cable :(

>tfw LAN cables are used as WAN cables

>cat7 is weird shit
Do you live in some backwards third-world country? Even I have it down here in a gubmint shop in Argentina

ethernet+rj45+cat5 cable

>too retarded to know what "terminated" means

I guess I should expect that from a third worlder

hand made cables are fragile garbage, just buy what you need from monoprice unless it's an emergency

>hand made cables are fragile garbage
Dude wat?

>terminating cat7 cable like cat5
Enjoy never going 100Mb/s
>rj45
Are you a britbongian telephone installator? I guess not. Then you aren't using rj45, you are using 8p8c.

>be me
>be gubmint contractor
>have to throw a 5km line
>ran out of man cable
>have to use pan cable
>mfw life is suffering
>true story bro

He has weak hands and can't use a crimper properly. Probably a carpal tunnel victim of Emacs.

i thought rj45 and 8p8c have the same connector and pinout?

>making your own cables
Do you guys ever actually use your computers for anything or just do autistic shit like this all day instead?

The Internet Cable

>Do you call it patch cable or ethernet cable?
thats a five cat dongle, duh.

Attached: 1528241768877.png (499x338, 35K)

sounds painful

RJ45 used the 8p8c connectors, and was used for one particular mode of connecting modems over phone lines. Within the Registered Jack schema, the 8p8c connector is also used for RJ61C, where you just run four phone lines, and RJ48C, used for T1 connections.

Cat5/6 with rj45/46. Ethernet is a protocol not a cable

>Cat5
>in 2018
what, are you poor?

>he doesn't terminate his own cables
Sad!

TP-Kabel

Believe me, you _do not_ want to run nowadays ethernet in real RJ45 installations if you want any degree of actual service. You actually want 8p8c connectors and wiring complying to TIA/EIA568

ether drop cable

Or you live in the first world. Imagine that.

I work in automation engineering and have made my own cables.
1x 10m
1x 5m
1x 1m
2x 50cm
5x 20cm

These fucking things have too many names. There are too many different standards on different levels. Way too fucking many opportunities for cunts to be pedantic about. So I just call it a patch cable, or ethernet patch cable if absolutely necessary.

Lan-Kabel
(Lan cable)

For ISP connection, sure.
For home/local network, you can absolutely get hardware that makes proper use of cat6.
Also cat 5 is worse than cat 5e, and I originally replied to cat5 while you’re talking about 5e

I do normal work.

Changing ISPs next week and the connection is elsewhere, so I'll be wiring shit up another way from now on. For that, I need to crimp my own cables or make stupid large holes in the wall.

I call it the internet cable because that's what the people around me seem to understand the easiest, though personally I think of it as Ethernet.

Internet tube

What if you're asking someone to hand you the cable and you don't know the specs?

Lan cable.

Lain cable.

Only correct name: UTP cable.

I typically only call something a patch cable if it happens to be connected to a patch panel... Am I weird?

Attached: 236.png (500x441, 250K)

I feel sorry for you m8

>For home/local network, you can absolutely get hardware that makes proper use of cat6.

Can you really? - curious.

That's a super-doodle-network-noodle