What were your first introduction to programming?

What were your first introduction to programming?

Pic related

Attached: worseThanScratch.jpg (512x512, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smallbasic.com/
github.com/enigma-dev/enigma-dev
enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Emake
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

same here, I was 12 back then

Attached: gm61.jpg (780x560, 177K)

Turbo Pascal at the high school when I was 14, 11 years ago.

AmigaBASIC

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

C# in Unity trying to make shitty games.

pascal and java botting diablo 1, diablo 2 and runescape

This.

But when we're talking about an actual language, it was RGSS in RPG Maker XP

gayscript/ECMAScript. wanted to do a game with it, then grew up

My first experience was actually Progress because my father worked for company who made banking systems.

>then grew up
Unless you're a cynical old fart, games, video or not, are still fun, even if you're an adult.

non-srious: ataribasic
srious: C on SunOS from my first ISP shell account.

Same

Attached: game-maker-7-logo.png (642x381, 249K)

Who would want to be a game dev tho?

Honestly, me, if it meant working with a small indie team(assuming we could write our own engine/tools).
However, working in a large corporate game dev studio owned by something like EA, that shit would probably be soul sucking.

Another GM user reporting in. GML is amazing
GMS2 sucks, though. GMS1.4 is the best version if want compiled, GM8.0 if you want interpreted

Attached: Lina.jpg (1920x1080, 818K)

object1
object2
object3
object923

>tfw I still use 8.0

Attached: 1420553077823.jpg (500x500, 191K)

No.

Could be using Clickteam Fusion 2.5

jass in wc3 desu

Same. Hard to think that if I hadnt used it when I was 12 I wouldnt have picked my current job.

Now theyve got console exports, a new ide and room editor and seems to have grown alot.

Sitting down and learning C++.

Attached: cia niggers.png (370x547, 355K)

I used Ren'py to make a shitty Haruhi Suzumiya dating sim
Had to learn python in order to include decision branching

>Ren'py
>written in Python
>had to learn Python to do jack shit
Wow...

Why the hell wouldn't you use meaningful naming conventions?

Because I was 10

I started using it at around 12, I named that shit religiously
>obj_*
>spr_*
>rm_*

Lua in computercraft.

wow such a nurd

pic related

Attached: 20-462c0a8e75c5787709f9f8e3298d2735-Microsoft Visual Basic 2 - About.png (640x480, 9K)

I didn't know about any of that, I named some objects "blarg" or w/e but since I didn't know objects could have a parent or scripts could be shared I had lots of duplicates for each room.

>dynamic code
>fast code
if only we could have had both

is the new game maker any good?

pure pay to win garbage, you are better off writing your own engine

same. still pop in to the d2jsp boards every now and then

I think it was a Perl tutorial, back in ... 2001, I think? Never went past arrays on Perl, though. I was 14 at the time, arrays seemed completely greek to me. Didn't help that I got this tutorial in English (which is not my native language), and I could understand maybe 50% of it back then.

turbo pascal in high school, then c at university, java at work and finally lua when fucking around with vidya

Learning Logo and QBasic in elementary school, 5th grade.
Warcraft 3 and DROD 2.0 editor after that.

smallbasic.com/

Guess we can't have everything. I wished they hadn't thrown away the interpreter, though, since you saved a lot of time by not having to compile. Plus, the performance difference wouldn't matter in many games (or you could just switch to compiled when publishing).

The latest 1.4 version (1.4.1804) is very nice. It brought some backports from GMS2 and compiles a bit faster than older 1.4.x releases.

I personally hate GMS2.
>Find function is completely broken
>Git support inside the IDE simply doesn't work, and has been broken for more than a year
>More agressive Digital Restrictions Management, requires you to log in from time to time
>Collects data about your usage by default, and makes compiled games do so too by default
>IDE code editor is inferior to GMEdit, a FOSS GML code editor by YellowAfterlife
>Tons of changes to GML functions that worked well previously, requires relearning

Honestly, if I were to migrate from 1.4, I'd rather wait the new IDE from the ENIGMA folks. At least it's free software.

Attached: Konata.gif (240x320, 334K)

Is ENIGMA any gud?

Wasn't my first programming experience, but damn was making runescape bots fun.

BASIC & Logo on Apple iie's taught by an outreach program of Bell Labs Murray Hill Campus in 1982. I grew up in the next town over, my mother graduated high school with Dennis Ritchie.
/blog

It can compile many projects made with GM, but it's still far from complete.

github.com/enigma-dev/enigma-dev

They plan to release a new, cross-platform IDE this year, written in C++. Their Java-based IDE (LateralGM) isn't very good imo, so you could use GM 8.0 to develop the game and ENIGMA as a compiler. You can use CLI if you want: enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Emake

Attached: karen.jpg (816x1200, 523K)

pic related is what I first really started learning programming in.

forgot the pic

Attached: smilebasic-social-en.jpg (1200x600, 108K)

C++
Since that's what we learned our first hello worlds and other crap in university.

It was pretty neat i'd say

Attached: greenfoot.png (1262x916, 591K)

Lua scripts for open tibia server. ~13 years ago.

Little Big Planet because I was obsessed with those shitty motor/sensor logic gates. I made AI boats and this one level where random types of bombs fell from the sky and blew up the ground and you had to survive through to the bottom

If not that then either matlab for differential equations, or C++ in programming 101.

Batch scripts and then Minecraft modding. Had no clue what I was doing

Pawno scrpting.
I used to code GTA San Andreas maps

AVR asm back in 2002 when i helped my father write a controller for a custom irrigation system for a friend who owned a plant farm. He also ghetto-printed the boards.

on netbeans in highschool

Attached: logo-java-BIG.jpg (3000x2121, 290K)

same

C++ trying to create homebrew for my PSP.

Didn't go so well, just managed to annoy some people on IRC.

Now in the middle of a CompSci program.

Just getting something I wrote to show some text on the PSP was still pretty cool though.

Homebrew for the Nintendo DS and PSP definitely was what opened my eyes to how cool programming can be.

god, what a shitty place
hope njaguar enjoys his son being dead

Got from a "Create your own game" CD rom

Funny how despite being almost obsolete there's still no IDE in the world that does the stuff Flash does

Attached: flash mx 2004.png (256x256, 34K)

This was the shit. There was nothing you couldn't do

Attached: autoit-logo.jpg (288x222, 18K)

Pseudocoding in StarCraft 1, 2, Warcraft 3.

vouch