/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 263696 47agdragon bikini cleavage erect_nipples feet headphones see_through swimsuits.jpg (1200x853, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!Lc9igICA!xpwzIGTVPGMRz_nQu_bOsf_h8_4iEeBxjLTQCKkYJqg
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: C63E4564-7998-4F12-AB71-442DD51F36CD.jpg (1343x1714, 601K)

Attached: latest.jpg (640x480, 123K)

these dont look right

Attached: cap.jpg (150x199, 4K)

why the fuck cant anime artists into feet

pic related: actual feet

Attached: 8ISObEA.png (603x797, 761K)

S

H

Attached: 183.jpg (680x665, 190K)

P

S

Great thread everyone, keep it up!

Attached: Requesting+one+piece+i+need+any+and+all+one+piece_f58def_5217594.png (779x588, 319K)

The virtual DT990 and the SRH1540 were preferred to Harman's target by untrained listeners. The MDR-V6 and Fidelio tied.
There's a huge preference gap between trained and untrained with the Grado.

Attached: A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners’ Preference Ratings.png (2344x2899, 1.76M)

>no stax in study but the lcd-4 gets in
they had ONE job.

THE TRUSTIEST OF FUCKS!!!!

Attached: 61JcYeMnkzL._SL1335_.jpg (1000x1335, 125K)

Describe your headphones if they turned into women and were your gf

kick them into the street. I dont want some nasty whore, I want my husbando

Considering it was less favored against the HD600/650 and DF target in older tests, what are you expecting here?

Alright boys, a wire in the right cup of my Q 701's has come loose and I gotta solder a new one in there because of reasons I'm too embarrassed to admit involving the original wire.

Any recommendations for what kind of wire should be going in as not to degrade sound quality? Or is regular copper wire good enough at that point and the real quality is determined somewhere else?

Attached: 1459693964417.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

>what are you expecting here?
please feel free to try to explain away the the vast majority of subjective impressions of people preferring stax over the hd600/650

I want wireless IEMs for falling asleep but also general use. Would it be a mistake to get pixel buds?

Attached: blue.png (500x500, 115K)

They know what they are listening to.
Let's try a different question: why do people prefer the MDR-V6 to Stax Lambdas?

I've never seen someone say "yeah, stax is overrated". I've seen plenty say that about the v6 and the hd600. I've seen it about audeze. I've seen it about focal. I've never seen anyone not impressed with stax except for those who prefer flat bass (easily modded). I've seen countless impressions of this stupid $400 (and up) cheese grater looking headphone beating out every headphone under the sun.

if the data doesn't even closely reflect reality then the testing methodology is wrong.

Interesting. Got a link?

Attached: Hmmm6.png (480x480, 145K)

mega.nz/#!Lc9igICA!xpwzIGTVPGMRz_nQu_bOsf_h8_4iEeBxjLTQCKkYJqg

We know that people use as many inputs available to them as they can detect. We know that ratings that people give on sound are influenced by other information. The preferences with loudspeakers change when the listeners don't know what they are listening to, as compared to sighted. Changing images or colors shown to listeners when a sound is played influences listener impressions of sound.
Single or double blind testing in general of headphones has little relevance to reality. The same goes for speakers, amplifiers, DACs, and other tweaks. You usually know what you are listening to in an ordinary situation, which does affect how much generality a controlled test has to one that is uncontrolled. But, we insist on blinding anyway.
Do you take an issue with blind tests?

I've had a pair of sennheiser momentum on-ear headphones for a couple of years, bought them for £150.

How would you guys rate these? I love them, the clarity is very good, way better than cheap headphones so I can listen to them at low volume and still hear all the sounds in the songs very clearly. The downsides are that they block out almost no external noise, but I kind of like hearing what is going on around me though. Plus, the inbuilt microphone and media buttons only work on iphones for some reason

Attached: 41B5nEOTnHL.jpg (432x500, 18K)

I hope you guys didn't screw me over. I HAVE FAITH.

Attached: DSC_0407-1548x2752.jpg (1548x2752, 682K)

>Do you take an issue with blind tests?
No not at all, but studies are wrong all the time due to poor testing methodology.

Are you biased and unable to admit that the information you read could be wrong?

It is a given that everyone is biased. Hence the prerequisite of the blinding protocol.
You can read that Harman study and Theile's, but do try to make a more specific critique.

>headphones virtualized for listeners on a K712

>Hence the prerequisite of the blinding protocol.
blinding doesn't eliminate bias, this should be obvious. the testing methodology can be biased unknowingly by the person designing the tests

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1512445976683.jpg (1920x1200, 1.27M)

Blinding introduces its own inherent bias. That is a given, and the method of blind testing is more to limit how biases can interact with the DUT, rather than the elimination of bias.
But what problems do you have with the methodology here?

We're looking forward to impressions.
By the way, what are you upgrading from?

Thanks Sir. So, after glancing over your Statistical Headphone paper, it seems they were merely equalizing THE TEST HEADPHONES to mimic popular EQ curves. What headphones did the Participants get to listen to in reality? Cause I remeber this one....

Attached: 1970s AV Library.jpg (736x490, 17K)

A K712. And get this: They chose it for low distortion even though it can't go over 90 dB without breaking apart.

A modified K712. The modification is to increase clamp (and improve bass response).
Harman has used other headphones in the past. I know the LCD-2, HD518, HD800, and SR-009.

The insides of $600 headphones. It's ALL ABOUT engineering at this point. Think about how closely they hsave to space the voicecoil so it doesn't rub, AND create a driver that deliveres the whole spectrum. We Live In Good Times...

Attached: 20180616_141406.jpg (4032x3024, 561K)

>But what problems do you have with the methodology here?
Honestly, I'm too lazy to critique. I did this dance with nutrition, and have read countless studies. I have no interest in doing it with audio because it's not valuable to me. I'm already done with this hobby anyways. I've just seen from my past experiences in other fields that people link studies and proclaim them to be the truth, so my bullshit detector immediately went off.

Right off the top of my head though, I would prefer the ksc75 to a lot of headphones simply due to price and convenience. Why do these preference curves have no granularity as to why they prefer it? Why is there no separation of genre and curve as well?

From entry level IEMs. I had some Shures back then and currently just using the 1More Triple Driver. Gotta say I'm not used to listening with headphones. Going to take some time for this to sink in for me. However what I can say it kinda falls to what I expected. Works ok for most pop tracks but glorious on Jazz. Gonna need more listening time.

nice find user.

>There's a huge preference gap between trained and untrained with the Grado.
if there's a huge preference gap between trained and untrained I wonder how big the preference gap is between age as well as average listening levels which would basically make these findings useless

Attached: 1528853782840.jpg (1200x794, 117K)

Forgot pic. Kinda lacking the punch here but I gotta say its crisp elsewhere.

Attached: DSC_0411-1548x2752.jpg (1548x2752, 570K)

jumped on the hd6xx and it'll be first "good" pair of headphones and probably close to last pair ever unless it breaks.
i only have er4sr and zs6 iems to compare to so i'll definitely be blown away.
i can't justify spending any more on a pair of headphones when i'm barely relaxing at home alone which is the only time i can really use open backs.

Nice. Well, keep listening, get used to them, and come back to us with more feedback. There's not anywhere near enough HD600-family users here.

looking good! what are you using to drive the 6xx? i'm thinking of picking up a dac/amp before the 6xx gets here (sept).

Oh! I got a pair of those! Or close anyways. Hmm, honestly, they're actually alright! Listening to em now. Amazing range - bass is tight, deep resoluton, they get loud. Know what? Not Bad!

Attached: 20180616_213229.jpg (4032x3024, 545K)

>

Attached: The_Pink_Purloiner_18.jpg (512x384, 46K)

They look better than they sound desu. You can do way better for the money, obviously, but there isn't anything inherently terrible about them. If you like your headphones to look good they're certainly a cut above most other fashion headphones.

Kinda bright, but not Stax equivalent. But! I'm Tellin Ya = AT50x for portable, phones mp3 players...

Attached: P1040961.jpg (4320x3240, 532K)

You have hearing loss friend.

My IEMs got way more use than my 880s. Being able to block sound is a useful commodity when you live in a dorm (although the 880s sound way too C L E A N to not diddle on a regular basis).

V20 for now. Here's an example of one track that it kinda fell short. But that's kinda expected.

Attached: DSC_0413-1548x2752.jpg (1548x2752, 422K)

if you want to fall asleep when listening to music you get stax

if you want to actual here power in your music you get sennheisers

>This just in, people of different demographics and backgrounds have different taste on what they want their headphones to sound like!

What headphones under 150 USD have the best build quality? I'm sick of shitty plastic and stuff breaking within a couple of years of normal use.

However listening to this track on this headphone. Really good. I'd take that it's easy to get lost in Jazz and Swing tracks. Definitely a better experience compared to some entry level/Midgrade IEMs I've used.

Attached: DSC_0414-1548x2752.jpg (1548x2752, 383K)

Still Got Good Ears. AND - I can smell anyone who's eaten garlic in the past 12 hrs. Honestly, I've Been Blessed genetically, just sayin'. Any Ladies out there tonite?

Attached: 20180606_194849.jpg (4032x3024, 687K)

Nah friend, it's very clear that you've got hearing loss. I think it's dishonest to not disclose that.

Thank You for your concern young man. Will you help me across the street?

Attached: 20180612_184615.jpg (4032x3024, 575K)

Attached: 20180616_185546.jpg (4032x3024, 366K)

Yeah, you need your walker?

That's some good equipment but why do you have your DAC above a 45 W class A amp? Why are the tube vents sealed by a block of wood?

just fyi the same common criticisms about stax also apply to sennheisers compared to other headphones, "power in music" is not a sennheiser strength except for their memephones

I gotta get to Walgreens for ther Super Hearing Suppliment. Vitamins to make me hear better. U driving?

Attached: Huh227.jpg (600x450, 64K)

Just ordered the Grado SR80e as babbys first set of headphones. What am I in for? Mostly listening to rock or instrumental soundtracks on a Sony nw- a45, which I also just ordered.

I won't be throwing my IEMs soon nor would I not consider getting higher end models. They're just good for when you're outside and you want to shut everything out while you take a break.

I don't care much about the study itself, but I get some amusement out of how /hpg/ responds to it.
>Why do these preference curves have no granularity as to why they prefer it
Covered in a previous inquiry. The target reflects the result preferred by a panel of listeners with varying levels of experience and age.
>no separation of genre and curve
Genre is a moving target, given the lack of standardization of studio acoustics, but they could at least post the power spectrum here (done in some earlier tests). A basic requirement is that the test track covers enough of the 20-20k bandwidth to reveal spectral issues within, but track choice does frustrate generalization.

mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

Some investigations into the subject.
>The Influence of Listeners’ Experience, Age, and Culture on Headphone Sound Quality Preferences
>Factors That Influence Listeners' Preferred Bass and Treble Levels in Headphones
>A Study of Listener Bass and Loudness Preferences over Loudspeakers and Headphones

Headphones

>grab sennheiser hd600s
>turn on tycho

i am in heaven Jow Forums

Attached: Beetlejuice!.jpg (480x611, 23K)

Please respond.

Attached: 1344804492084.jpg (468x468, 90K)

no shitphones

Attached: DSC_0285.jpg (3872x2592, 350K)

Are you saying they're shit? What would you recommend instead?

Cmon

Attached: IMG_0013 (2).jpg (3408x2248, 417K)

Any mmcx, with mmcx bluetooth cable.

/hpg/ hates wireless.

Personally, the only wireless I have is the Bose Soundsport Free. I think it's overpriced, but it was great during workout and general use.

so are these a fucking FAILURE

Attached: Sennheiser-HD820.jpg (558x610, 22K)

yes

>Grado
Most people pay to get rid of their trash rather than get it delivered to their door.

Why a Grado?

so hd 660s is the best then?

>why the fuck cant anime artists into feet
Firstly, that's off topic.
Second, they can, you clearly haven't seen very many of these pictures if you think that.

What game is this?

Train simulator 2017.
Not a game, serious business.
Just... don't fall for the DLC meme.
If you need to, just pirate the DLC.

>closed
Expectations should be kept in check.

A true conductor wears STAX.

Electrostats are not allowed into the cabin as they might interfere with equipment.

Are Sennheiser HD-25's still the go to cans for DJ's? They are fucking ancient but nobody seems to be beating them AFAIK.

typical anti-stax propaganda.

It's not propaganda, it's just the rules.
Safety first.

Did you make that mega folder?

wait wait, is that the one where they say "headphone quality doesn't increase after $300" while emulating other headphones on a $300 headphone?

Attached: 1509367823159.jpg (576x435, 18K)

How good are the shures that you had? I've been wanting to get some decent IEMs to get along with the HD6xx so I can listen to music on the way to work on the bus.

inb4 budget objectivist use this as a reason to keep using their shitty set up and troll anyone who dares spend more.