<wdg/> - Web Development general

Prev thread: →

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4&feature=youtu.be

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 1528738211609.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15900709
pastebin.com/bRkmS6y4
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
wiby.me
1337x.st/search/machine learning/1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for you should actually ship something this month you lazy fucks

What is server side language does /wdg/ use?
strawpoll.me/15900709

Attached: 1516764441485.jpg (299x168, 7K)

Oh boy, I have to remove possible comments from this string for reasons I don't want to blog about. Let's try a regular expression.
>str.replace(/\/\*(.|\s)*?\*\/|\/\/.*($|\n)/g, '')

Who came up with this shit?

pastebin.com/bRkmS6y4

>github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions

Fix that shit.

Why the fuck doesn't wdg have a root site like aggydaggy.com?

>Fix that shit
it works just fine
a root site is useless just to appease autists like you

>Game Devs have a website

>Web Devs do not

web devs here do have their own sites
key: their own sites they're in control of personally, and not a centralized site only 1 faggot is in charge of that's supposed to rep an entire group

so pls fuck right off

>Php tied with JS
how can it be possible?

How do you do guys to apply for jobs when there are literally no job offers in your country?

>3 offers in the last month.

Should i email to some recruiters instead of wait for job offers? how do i contact them?

>mern

because "web dev" is full of fucking retards using wordpress

I fucking hate wordpress, i'd wish it doesn't exist.

Three offers in a month is great. Dafuq is you talkin bout?

i meant, 3 job offers were published in my city (and it's a big one)

oh, well yeah, that's pretty bad

i thought on leaving the country to germany or italy, but i really don't want to yet.

What's the comfiest database to use with node?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 16K)

So don't use it. PHP is trash anyways.

Attached: furdervaterland.jpg (440x460, 22K)

Ported the main part of my search engine wiby.me over to golang (from php), seems to be running pretty good. Feel free to try and break the search bar. Might be a couple bugs still lurking.

I've been asked to setup a small online shop for a customer of mine.

I could try and write everything up from scratch using react or vue as frontend tools, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if there are already (free) premade solutions to this problem - preferably so that I can still make adjustments to them.

Any advice on where to start with this.
End product should be a basic shop where users can register, buy stuff, pay with paypal or amazon payments etc.

Backend is OOS for this question. For now just curious about frontend.

postgres
do not pick nosql because SQL good everywhere and nosql good only when data not relative. And you have to be pretty good and experienced not to fuck up

mongoose helps you to not fuck it up if you aren't that experienced

I'm not about ORM but about picking right technology for your data. When you pick mongo for non-relative data it's perfectly fine and fast. But even top engineers can fuck up when analyzing data and choosing DB. But when you chose SQL you are safe since it's good for any data. So if you are newbie always pick SQL.

Too busy doing personal/work projects I haven't got any time to upgrade dependencies;

I still havent upgraded to webpack4, babel, etc..
My dependencies are starting to get left behind. Fuck.

>Fun fact: The only people who take any pride in CSS are brainlets who can't program.
>Programmers don't waste their time with child activities.
>>hurr durr look at how good I put this box next to this other box

Speaking as a big brain programmer, when you spend two hours trying to line up some boxes just right, you appreciate having someone do that shit for you.
Not enough to pay them 100k for a no-degree job but sure, they can call themselves a UX or web designer or something and be on my team. I'll happily consult them on front-end shit and listen to their advice.

How much percentage of your salary goes to rent and other expenses?

I have my own house but I moved to city so I could get a job. No jobs available in my hometown so I'm renting now in the city. Renting sucks. I'm not getting 100% of my hardwork salary

If your income isn't 5x what you spend, then you're doing it wrong and you need to reevaluate your situation.

CSS may not be hard, but it can be damn annoying and difficult to figure out what looks/works.

i did a little research on this six months ago and concluded that strangely, there's not one single good e-commerce framework in existence, free or otherwise

It's fiddly and you need to study it hard to remember which solutions work in which circumstances.
Also, when using UI frameworks, they tend to be opinionated about their own styling too, making all that shit look just right is a pain.

pretty much, it's not really just "css lmao" though it's css + animations + positioning after animations etc etc which all effect each other

If you start out writing bad CSS it just spirals further and further out of control until you end up with

div {
margin-right: -20px;
margin-top: 20px !important;
padding-left: 30px;
}

and still end up with a fucking mess because once you resize the page all of that breaks again.

after ten years of web development, i came to realize that a willingness to write good, careful CSS is what separates noob web monkeys from professional big brain programmers

Given enough timeframe, writing a good, planned css is possible.

But when you work for an idiot german-slavedriver kraut company who's primary goals is profit and quantity over quality, writing css is rushed. All they care about is to release a project immediately.

Deploy now, debug later . Fucking profiteering gluttons

Remember to vote fagtrons

Attached: Capture.jpg (1028x561, 64K)

What do you guys put at the top of your portfolio site? I've done a few sites for clients and generally they have preexisting opinions about what they want there (a carousel! carousels are the best!) but I feel kind of lost. Nothing seems important or interesting enough and frankly a lot of websites just seem to have content that's eye-catching but ultimately meaningless. I already have the rest of the site done - about section, my work, contact, etc. but I'm really stuck on what should be seen when the page first loads.

Attached: DfvWwV8UYAExwbq.jpg (1200x1200, 264K)

>a willingness to write good, careful CSS
More like willingness to learn.
CSS isn't 'hard' but it has many different interactions, cases etc and you need to learn and memorise which bits interact with which other bits, which style attributes apply to what kind of elements (I solved one problem recently by changing a span to a div because I was trying to apply style rules that spans don't take).

It's study basically and I have enough back-end languages to study and get better at that I can't find the time to study CSS as well as it requires.
Nobody can actually learn everything, there isn't time, so sparing the time to master CSS is something that is just a bit lower than learning five different back-end languages and frameworks, right now at least.

are you implying small and medium companies use Php for big apps?

Just a background image and a name.

Go from there.

Mine just says "hi, I'm user"

Is this book any good? I started reading it but I thought of getting an opinion here in Jow Forums first.

Be warned that I must stick to the MEAN stack. Thought of using Django for this project but Python is certainly going to make things slower than I need them to be.

Attached: Getting-MEAN.jpg (720x902, 125K)

are you implying people here have a job at a reputable large company or one of (((them)))?

Down with node.

Looking at job add for remote full-stack
>Q4) Please share examples of a data-driven system/program you’ve built, including your unit tests for the work. Including source code (GitHub or tarballs are fine)

Fuck, like any company I've ever worked for didn't include an NDA and like I even have the source-code I've written for all that stuff.

>Released 2015
3 years is a long time in the JS world.
Try looking for a more updated book if possible.

It's outdated as fuck. Watch videos from max shwarzmuller.

angular is shit and mostly replaced when possible, so you would be stuck with legacy js applications, and no one want this shit.
Vue js is similar so lots of people with an angular codebase jumped to that Mongo is complete shit stay away.
May be better to just create an app with express and see how that feels, you can use sqlite so you don't have to setup a DB

This community is toxic. We'd all be better developers if we stayed away. I feel bad for the people who come here without knowing any better and actually take what is said here seriously.

>angular is shit and mostly replaced when possible, so you would be stuck with legacy js applications, and no one want this shit.
Angular 6 now best framework. IvyRenderer fastest then vue vdom or fiber. RxJs is the future of reactive programming. Typescript shining.

>Mongo is complete shit
Mongo has good DX, it's piss-easy to implement and just get data in and out and it works in ways that JS developers easily understand.
We know it can scale in volume of course, because that's what it was sort of made for but we also know that it doesn't scale in complexity.

If user's usecase is for simple data, mongo is perfectly reasonable. It's only when the data starts needing atomic transactions and internal integrity that mongo is a bad choice, that's when you port everything to postgres and sql.

When first prototyping something? sql is overkill, you're better off with the simplest possible db and something schema-less makes rapid development much easier.

>This community is toxic
There are one or two salty anons who just shit up the thread complaining about php/node/whatever but most of us are reasonably enough. This community is a beacon of reason and love compared to most of Jow Forums

just polyfill my shit up

Some people don't want to be newbies maybe we want to shard a db.

>Angular is shit
AngularJS maybe.
But Angular 2 and above is better than fucking Vue. I doubt most of the people on this thread have even tried it and are just spouting shit from reddit.

Why ppl even compare Angular to Vue? Vue now is jquery replacement for small projects and Angular is enterprise ready solution.

How much time it took you to learn react/angular?

i've learned mongo,node and express... but i'm afraid of react/angular/vue...

Vue few days to start and few months to master.
React few weeks to start and few months to master.
Angular start is pretty long if you do not know any static typed language and hardest also to master. If you know one it's similar to react.

I worked for 6 months with angular2, and it is kinda good, can't deny that, but Vue gives you more flexibility and have a better ecosystem.

I guess it does boil down to personal preference and to who will be using the framework, maybe angular is better for beginners and brainlets.

Also the book is about angular1 I think.

Thanks

Attached: 1506455802703.jpg (640x519, 29K)

Well only retards will look at something and then think "yeah, that must be true" without doing any kind of personal research.
You have to look at things on both sides, always.

Reddit? Just relax bro..Do what you want man! We're all going to make it! EZ 200k starting if you only know HTML and CSS bro! xD :D :D if i say anything bad everyone will downvote me so let's keep positive vibes :D:D also check out my medium blog btw haha

Jow Forums? FUCK YOU THAT'S BLOAT STOP USING JAVASCRIPT IN THE FIRST PLACE OMG WHY ARE YOU USING X Y Z IN 2018 FUCKING IDIOT OMG DISGUSTING KYS!!!! VUE IS THE BEST FUCK ANGULAR OMG I LOVE REACT NO FUCK U REACT SUX WTF JAVASCRIPT IS TRASH USE NOW!!!! STOP USING THAT DATABASE STOP USING WHAT I DON'T LIKE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Youtube? You can learn In just 20 minutes. Master in 30 minutes. Please click my video, please.

Udemy? Welcome to My professional course, you will become a professional in this 10 hour course. Go from zero to hero. Go from junior to senior in just 2 days.

Medium? Oh look, here's my code just copy paste 4k lines of code into your editor and thaking you for Click like Button... you're a fucking genius dude..hope you learned a lot my Sir..Thankly you. My opinion aolso Very Good PLease can do me the codings my freidn. No MORE BAD THING! ME NO LIKE!

It's just like pick your fucking poison dude, no matter where you go people will be inadvertently toxic and bad for you, whether it's by wasting your time with clickbait or being too nice to not tell you the truth, or just giving you very elitist opinions that are useless to you as a new person.

It's all shit dude

Udemy doesn't sound so bad though

well said

if you read all that you can end up with a pretty decent opinion based on everyone's shit

There's a 99% chance you don't fit the need for a NoSQL database. Just go with MySQL or Postgres like everyone else

>JAVASCRIPT IS TRASH USE
why don't you just fucking say wasm

Is it wrong to use ::before and ::after to place images around content?

Like I have a video frame with some artwork as a border placed there with a content property in ::before.

How do I get hold of the REDUX functions like dispatch and getState() (this is the one I need) in my component?

I want to getState().keyData on componentDidMount

WELCOME ALL WEB DEVELOPMENT BEGINNERS WHO ARE SHITTING UP THE THREAD WITH STUPID QUESTIONS.
IF YOU COME ACROSS THIS POST, THEN PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING

>I know HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Can I make 120k now?
NO.
THOSE KIND OF SALARIES ARE EARNED BY SOLVING PROBLEMS OF BIG CLIENTS SUCH AS COMPANIES AND CORPORATIONS.
YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO ANALYZE PROBLEMS THEN COME UP WITH A WORKING APPLICATION THAT SOLVES THOSE PROBLEMS.
I.E. REAL PROGRAMMING, THEN SLAPPING A WEB INTERFACE ON TOP OF IT TO GIVE YOUR CLIENT(S) THE FACEBOOK EXPERIENCE.

>Should I learn [front end javascript framework]
ONLY IF YOU'VE MANAGED TO GET A GOOD GRASP OF PLAIN JAVASCRIPT. NO SERIOUSLY. STOP GOOGLING FOR THE NEWEST AND MOST HYPED SHIT. LEARN THE BASICS.
EVERYTHING THAT YOU COULD POSSIBLE NEED FROM A WEB PAGE CAN BE COVERED BY PLAIN OLD JAVASCRIPT. AND ONCE YOU DO LEARN THE BASICS, YOU CAN QUICKLY SWITCH BETWEEN FRAMEWORKS BECAUSE IN THE END, THEY'RE JUST TOOLS FOR DEVELOPING IN JS.

>Can I make a living by working at home
ONLY AFTER YOU'VE HAD INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE AND CAN STOMP ALL COMPETING INDIAN AND CHINESE FREELANCERS ON THE INTERNET, OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE EARNING NEGLIGIBLE AMOUNTS OF MONEY, IF AT ALL.

>I'm a beginner, what are easy to use technologies I can start with?
PYTHON (Django, Flask)
RUBY (Rails)
C# (ASP)
ARE GOOD STARTS.

DON'T DRINK THE SOIBOI MEDIUM BLOG COOL-AID THAT NODE.JS IS THE BEST THING EVER. IT IS NOT. IT'S NOT EVEN THE BEST TECHNOLOGY FOR THE NICHE IT'S SUPPOSED TO EXCEL AT (REAL TIME APPLICATIONS). USE IT ONLY WHEN APPROPRIATE. IT'S NOT A MAGICAL HAMMER THAT CAN BE USED FOR EVERY USE CASE.

PHP IS PHP. POORLY DESIGNED. INSECURE, HARD TO MAINTAIN, LOW PERFORMANCE, B-BBBUT AT LEAST ITS POPULAR RIGHT?.

>Should I learn [NEW THING]
ONLY IF YOU ALREADY HAVE YEARS OF PRIOR WEB DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCE. NEWER SHIT IS BOUND TO HAVE LESS DOCUMENTATION, LESS TOOLING, A SMALLER ECOSYSTEM, AND HAS A CHANCE TO DIE PREMATURELY.

Attached: languages.png (2251x3703, 2.71M)

>if you want to get into web development you shouldn't learn html/css/javascript/php

>Udemy doesn't sound so bad though
No it doesn't, that's the problem.
Bad things should sound bad but nobody wants to hear that, so they don't get told bad-sounding things even though they're true.

A few threads ago, some user complained they were hired on 50k out of uni and they sat next to old guys who earned double their pay just because they'd been in the job for 5+ years.
Surely, an Udemy course could let them do that job and double their pay, right?

>Is it wrong to use ::before and ::after to place images around content?
If it's stupid and it works...

>then it's hard for the next guy to maintain
>or it's future you's problem

AGERU

Yeah, I thought I would get an answer like that. I'll try to find a newer book on the MEAN stack, thanks.

Thanks for the answer, man. I'll check the guy's channel but still... I prefer reading as a learning method.

Well, I'll need to prototype it with MongoDB so I think I'll just stick w/ Angular. But thanks for your 2 cents.

Yeah but at least udemy teaches you shit unlike Jow Forums, Reddit, or blogs.
>Surely an udemy course could let them do that job and double their pay right?
No I suppose not. It's tough shit being a web dev noob.

Can someone tell me the difference between web development, software engineering and programming please... Can I build algorithms and also be a web developer? I want to make a robot that can think.

Attached: 1524112838005.jpg (495x600, 37K)

You can do anything you want to.

Answer the question please

Attached: 1499997258252.png (839x510, 418K)

Well you can do anything, you can make software with electron or make mobile apps, or just make things that run in a browser.

What you want is probably tensorflow

So I'm not limited to just web development if I turn out I hate it? Awesome

Attached: restored.png (2200x1234, 772K)

How do I check if an object is not empty without using lodash or some shit.

user = {};
if (user) // returns true, I want this condition to return false

Depends what you learn, if you're not sure then learn python because it does pretty everything.

function e(o){for(key in o){if(o.hasOwnProperty(key)){return false;}return true;}}

There should be 2 curly braces after false and 1 after true. Typing on tablet is hard.

if (Object.keys(user).length)

Where do you guys get your free stock photos?
I already have pexels, pixabay, unsplash.

Any other good source?

I also often use Wikipedia and Flickr. I have one attribution page on my website, where you can fetch the attribution of all pictures on the entire website. I don't give attribution on individual pages and I'm pretty sure the licenses don't require you to, despite that many people do so.

>my website loads in 0,3 seconds
>the google maps api on the website still does shit after 124 seconds

Attached: 1522934374107.jpg (560x560, 19K)

>hates webdev, because of that, he wants to create desktop apps with css and javascript
I don't think so

Guys, is electron still a thing? Which tools are the best ones for developing desktop applications?

web development, mobile development et al. are all the same group of faggots

If you want to make a cross platform application with no effort, then electron, because it's browser-based.

If you want to write an application that performs well, then on record I have heard of no industry-dominating GUI toolkit for a single OS much less multiple OSes.

There is WPF for Windows and such, but really truly performant software such as Adobe Photoshop are built using in-house GUI frameworks that mere mortals don't have access to.

I say "truly performant" but there aren't any truly performant desktop applications these days. Even Photoshop CC takes over a minute to load, as opposed to almost instantly for some of the older versions. Still better than Electron

WPF sounds interesting, thanks.
Electron sounds like something anyone can do, so there's no prestige in that.

>If you want to write an application that performs well, then on record I have heard of no industry-dominating GUI toolkit for a single OS much less multiple OSes.
QT?

QT is popular but hardly "industry-dominating"

Nobody is asked to defend why they didn't use QT on their project, the way we used to have to defend using any non-MS product.

guise, where can some free deep/machine learning lectures?

I bought some Udemy lectures but can't afford to buy more

>Electron sounds like something anyone can do, so there's no prestige in that.
your job is to deliver working software. if you aim for """prestige""" you'll end up in /dpt/ rewriting fizzbuzz in some obscure, """prestigious""" language and calling everyone who has a job Pajeet.
as for WPF, not even Microsoft uses it for new projects and rewrites. the future of desktop software is sharing as much code as possible between Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS

1337x.st/search/machine learning/1/

Which Euro country is that?
Got me worried

how does one get clients??? Should I use adwords campaigns and pay goolag to get me some?

My guess is somewhere in the balkans.

Take Andrew Ng's Coursera courses. They're free, and he's pretty much "the standard".

ML courses in general are terrible in that it's difficult to teach, and people haven't really put forth much resources in trying to teach people in a way that isn't effectively throwing a statistics book at them, which isn't very helpful at building an intuition or a broader understanding of the subject, giving the readers tunnel vision for the fundamentals which are usually loosely and poorly connected at the end of a course or article

As autistically as this is written, it is true. At least Jow Forums is honest with you and makes you be realistic about your expectations