What would the world be like if Y2k wasn't just a spook?

What would the world be like if Y2k wasn't just a spook?

Attached: y2k.jpg (634x318, 67K)

Y2K was a real issue with a number of programs. The reason nothing bad happened was that people saw it coming an fixed their broken date handling.

you'll find out in 2038

The place I was working on 12.31.99 shut all of their computers off before that night.

In the IT department, we all wanted the night off, so we figured that was the best way to make sure no one called in for support.

>2000 year old boomer

Y2K was real enough where the computers at the company I worked for were shut down for about a week so they could all be manually reset to 1900 so they wouldn't fuck up the accounting software or the special program the software used to convert all dates to 20xx.

But really if it wasn't just a spook then there'd be maybe a weeklong bank holiday while everything unfucked itself. People would then forget by the time 9/11 happened.

wut

read a book, nigger.
64-bit.

>that 20 years old boomer who still remembers y2k

42 years old; boomers are all in their 60's or 70's.

I'm solidly in Gen-X, but I understand if you forget about us. Everyone else did. We did our best to fix things but failed.

I worked oncall that NYE and even after the amount of work we put in doing y2k compliance, there were still issues. From the things that we'd fixed, there were issues which would have caused havoc. This multiplied by every other site in the world was a catastrophe averted.

2038 will be a much more serious problem.
It's going to be a shitstorm unless companies start addressing it now.

It's a lot different now because we have embedded systems everywhere, some of which have physical barriers to access. I have good reason to believe a sizeable chunk of the internet will be inaccessible once 2038 rolls around. Will planes fall down mid-flight? Probably not. Will nuclear missiles launch themselves? Highly unlikely. But I bet somewhere there will be an old router running on a 32-bit CPU that shits itself hard and brings about a cascading failure that takes a non-trivial amount of time and effort to get out of.

Hardly. Epoch time is done and by 2038, 32-bit systems will be as common as 12-bit minicomputers are now.

What was usenet like? Are there any interesting usenet groups worth visiting now?

>switch to 64bit
problem solved
Nothing will happen.

Prepare yourself for the onslaught

>addressing

the only issue that y2k had was with displaying the date. it didn't affect the actual store of the date. (unless you're a braindead programmer who uses UI strings as a store for data.)

It was awesome. Trolling and shitposting was off the scale back then; truly an artform. You had global filters and could discuss literally any subject, good times.

>unless you're a braindead programmer who uses UI strings as a store for data
That's most programmers.