I just turned on my old Power Macintosh for the first time in a long time and boot into Mac OS 8.6...

I just turned on my old Power Macintosh for the first time in a long time and boot into Mac OS 8.6. I was genuinely surprised at how pleasant it felt to use for everyday tasks

>unobtrusive interface
>simple, aesthetically pleasing, but functional
>perfect mouse acceleration unlike the current OS X (or Mac OS? macOS?) clusterfuck
>lightning quick even on an old SCSI hard drive
>system uses 31 MB RAM at idle

Overall extremely high comfiness factor, memory management and stability aside. Why do modern environments feel so disjointed and conflicted in comparison?

Attached: IMG_0784.jpg (4032x3024, 1.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

danluu.com/input-lag/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#macOS_10.13_High_Sierra
hackernoon.com/new-macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-exposes-the-password-of-an-encrypted-apfs-container-b4f2f5326e79?gi=e17a2e76520c
twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935578694541770752
wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/
mac4n6.com/blog/2018/3/21/uh-oh-unified-logs-in-high-sierra-1013-show-plaintext-password-for-apfs-encrypted-external-volumes-via-disk-utilityapp
openradar.appspot.com/36350507
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's amazing what you can do with old hardware when you write good software. Those old machines could do pretty much everything except high def streaming and contemporary video games

Attached: macssh.jpg (1632x1224, 832K)

Fuck why are old Macs so comfy? Not just the software, but pre-iMac computers just have this really soft look about them. It looks to me like that is a G3, which came out the year I was born. By the time I started using computers seriously, the Classic Mac OS was already dead and buried. I wish I could have experienced these when they were in their prime.

Anyways OP, my guess is that modern software companies don't really take UI design seriously. I would say that they look at it as more of an afterthought. Just look at all the inconsistent design elements in Win 10 vs even Windows 7. We're going backwards, even I can see that, and nobody seems to care.

>Anyways OP, my guess is that modern software companies don't really take UI design seriously. I would say that they look at it as more of an afterthought. Just look at all the inconsistent design elements in Win 10 vs even Windows 7. We're going backwards, even I can see that, and nobody seems to care.
Modern UI designers need to justify their existence by change stuff, even stuff that need no fixing.

Companies aiming at strawman of casuals.
This is how winXP was supposed to look before they bring the autistic legos.
Then everyone brought their autistic legos.

Attached: Windows_whistler.gif (1024x768, 48K)

>Modern UI designers need to justify their existence by change stuff, even stuff that need no fixing.
This. They have to keep changing shit (esp shit that didn't need changing) or else they lose their jobs in the blue chip. Also a lot of normies expect "new" designs every year or else they think its not good

This aged so much better than XP. Whereas Luna looks dated now, this Win2k-esque look is still pleasing to the eye.

>Beta 1
>Final design
You're kinda dumb...

Man, this always looked so much better than Luna. I was so disappointed when they ended up going with that instead.

On the other hand, custom user-made XP skins were probably the last great OS design customization effort. There probably wouldn't have been as much of that if it weren't for the hideousness of Luna.

I don't think you got the post.
That is how XP alpha (Windows Whistler) looked before they did pic related.

Attached: pone named theme.jpg (1280x798, 243K)

XP scaled pretty good considering at the time of release the min specs called for a 300 mhz cpu/64mb ram and a 2GB hdd. Think about that for a sec. XP Pro 32bit topped out at 4GB ram and 2TB hdd. at the rate the windows bloat fest is increasing soon you'll need a 2TB drive to even install the sucker. (Yet pure function wise things are still done the same/do the same shit on it as you do now;ie internet/game/office type shit)

if you went with classic theme/disabled the visual things in the settings you'd get the NT 2000 look outta the box. no 3rd party tricks/themes needed.

>designers need to justify their existence by change stuff, even stuff that need no fixing
>They have to keep changing shit (esp shit that didn't need changing) or else they lose their jobs in the blue chip. Also a lot of normies expect "new" designs every year or else they think its not good
Yup, and it's not just true of UI design, but all kinds of product design. Change just for the sake of change. It's superficial, fickle, and completely wasteful. Drives me crazy.

on this topic you'll get people who agree wholeheartedly, and you'll get phonefags who autistically screech that there's nothing wrong with windows 10 or their phone's material apps. nothing in between.

normies actually get pissed off when interfaces change. see facebook, android, google, youtube, etc.

wangblows 8 window decorations looked surprisingly familiar once i installed it the 1st time. now i know why.

>that 30 year old mactoddler that collects fruit toys and hoards them in his mom's basement

Attached: 1525601802720.jpg (1000x1243, 274K)

Nice rig. Does it run Marathon well?

No need to be jelly.

>Does it run Marathon well?
Even a high end m68k Macintosh runs Marathon well.

I didn't know that. I sort of assumed the Marathon games needed PPC.

>The Man of Shad

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Simply as operating systems got more complex and needed to support more shit, added graphical effects, enhanced UI's, graphical frameworks with safeguards for compatibility and crashes, they strayed further away from bare metal and ended up adding low amounts of input lag to everything

This has literally been confirmed with high speed cameras, Mac OS vs OSX or Windows 9x vs Windows 10 has amounts of input lag when typing that make the whole system feel slightly less satisfying to use

Modern touch devices still have it even worse desu

Sorry, was just off playing Civilization II until now. Marathon runs brilliantly, as pointed out it only needs a 68030. The PPC was really new in 1994, it would be the same as a game coming out nowadays with Coffee Lake as a minimum.

>Implying I collect
>Implying I haven't owned this thing since the late 90s
>Implying this isn't my own house

1/10 see me after class

Android's interface kind of had to change. It started out pretty trashy for its first few iterations.

It's a pretty divisive topic, honestly. Even for people who aren't really tech-conscious. But I feel a big part of it for "normies" is that they are just averse to change of any kind, even when it was a definite step in the right direction (eg, XP to Win 7)

>a definite step in the right direction (eg, XP to Win 7)
XP with classic on is preferable to 7 with classic on because it's more consistent.

>t. mactoddler

>This has literally been confirmed with high speed cameras
Link to the videos? Curious to see this.

>Modern touch devices still have it even worse desu
I know my Galaxy S2 used to drive me absolutely nuts because of this. No matter what, it always felt like there was a tiny bit of lag between touching something and having the phone actually register your input. The Blackberry Z30 that replaced it was considerably better but still not totally perfect. I feel Android still suffers from this microstutter issue, years later.

Because it was probably written by professionals, and not Pajeets or nu-Coders.

Be honest... who ever turned on Classic aside from a few diehards? I used to have that enabled on my Latitude C610 and everyone just assumed I was running Win2k or even Win98. If he's talking about default interface, Windows 7 was step in the right direction.

>it's a mactoddler manchild thinks he or his toddler toys belong on a tech board episode

Attached: 1506220717269.gif (700x243, 55K)

i always use classic because i find that gay themes have less obvious visual cues. that's especially bad for someone with blurred eyesight like me.

I still don't really understand why OS's need to get that much more complex. Sure there's newer high speed generic IO like USB-C and thunderbolt and more complex graphics libraries but does that really amount to the bloat in Windows and Mac OS X these days?

I've just started using Windows 10 and it's fucking horrible. A friend at work just got an Apple II and has been doing some neat stuff with it. I'm getting tempted to pick up an old Macintosh myself.

Has anyone noticed that the base of the desktop is actually designed so you can slide a keyboard up and tuck it underneath? Fucking brilliant old Macs. I feel these designs have aged a lot more gracefully than the iMacs that came out a year later. Even though the old models have more going on (Zip drive, floppy drive, etc) they seem a lot cleaner for some reason.

Attached: 2007-imac-g3-bondi-blue-resized.jpg (800x532, 82K)

>that 30 year old boomer that jerks it to his babby's fruit toys

Attached: 1528539598708.jpg (1508x1920, 485K)

>I still don't really understand why OS's need to get that much more complex

All the telemetry plays a part, I'm sure. And so do all the new security features and convenience features like fast search. But Windows, and OS X to a lesser extent, have always been critiqued for their unnecessarily heavy system requirements. Even Windows 2000 was derided for being "bloated". Hardware just catches up to the OS eventually.

Definitely get an old Mac if you can pick one up at a reasonable price (ie, not eBay or "collector's item" prices). Also consider an Amiga, if you want an example of a truly lean OS.

Why are Apple users like this?

Attached: 1471275879746.png (525x525, 372K)

Because of normies and their need for everything to be "an experience." Now the actual act of using a computer needs to be "an experience" as well, rather than just the thing you are using it for (which you might even want to be boring as fuck). It's why we have cartoons playing when you open programs, so a little animation of a calculator being opened plays before the calculator opens.

>there are now people old enough to post on Jow Forums that don't remember when Apple was a serious company
Making me feel old.

Kek, all this bait but nobody cares.
Nice thread OP.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

>Apple users
Found your problem.

What the fuck is this guy even holding? Like a red wiimote and a remote control?

I wonder why this poster is so persistent. If you look through the archive you can find dozens of iterations of this image, all with the exact same language. Really pity the fool who takes so much time to hang around even vaguely Apple-related threads and spout nonsensical opinions for hours on end.

Apple was never a serious company.

>>there are now mactoddlers old enough to be boomers
Making me feel old.

>that 30 year old boomer that doesnt "get" memes or use 4chanx and thinks everyone he doesnt like is one person

Attached: IMG_20180502_223348.jpg (400x815, 79K)

danluu.com/input-lag/

Attached: lag.png (479x542, 85K)

>there are now people old enough to post on Jow Forums that don't remember when Apple was a serious company

Apple was never a serious company though.

>1987-1997: "here's the hardware, I guess we need to design a case for it, let's just do something sensible and clean"
>Great idea but nobody's buying, company slowly circling the drain, losing money hand over fist, ends up picking up its OCD founder to head things
>1998-now: "HERE'S THE CASE, JONY IVE DREAMT IT UP ON A COCAINE TRIP, NOW YOU ENGINEERS FIND A WAY TO CRAM SOME HARDWARE IN HERE!"
>People can't get enough of it

Don't get me wrong, the PPC architecture was great. These RISC chips destroyed the Intel equivalents, ran fast and cool (unlike the G5 later on). No need to prioritize megahertz over everything else.

>generic haswell system is 2x as fast as same year lagbook
topkek

Win XP was the first OS that insisted on phoning home to Microsoft to complete registration. It's also the main reason that I stopped buying Windows with Windows 2000.

But wow, the Win XP UI was such dayglo trash that it made not upgrading an even easier decision. Babby's furst operating system. Who needed that?

Fascinating, thanks for sharing

Copious soi consumption.

>OS X basically doubling the input lag over OS 9

I fucking knew it

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>It's also the main reason that I stopped buying Windows with Windows 2000
What have you used since, out of curiosity? If you made the jump to Linux in the early 2000s then I fucking commend you, I remember trying to get Debian to work on a fairly bog standard desktop PC from 2003 (Pentium 4, integrated graphics) and it was still a pain in the ass. If OSX, I can understand your frustration but it still seems you traded one evil for another.

This chart is hilarious.
It's too bad those low-latency computers are all useless once you do connect to them.

I held on to Windows 2000 until modern software required XP or higher. I kept waiting for The Year of The Linux Desktop but it never came.

I had ignored Apple for decades, as underpowered, expensive computers made for retards did not appeal to me. Like any normal person, I read OS X as "oh es ex" and not "oh es ten" because no one but Steve Jobs would be retarded enough to use a Roman numeral for an OS release.

As you can tell, I was more or less the last person to hear that this OS X crap actually had UNIX underpinnings. So I took the plunge and bought the cheapest little plastic white MacBook that ran OS X. My thinking was "if all this OS X crap sucks, at least I've got a real command line".

And The Finder did and does suck to this day, but I have found enough good enough software to run macOS as my main OS for about a decade now. That's the path I took. And you?

>It's too bad those low-latency computers are all useless once you do connect to them.
Bzzt. We are talking about "press a key" and watch it appear on the screen latency here. Networks aren't a factor here.

I ran Windows 2000 on my Thinkpad T23 all through high school. Dabbled with Linux here and there, first with Debian (which was shit at the time) and then with various versions of Ubuntu. I went into first year university in 2009 running Ubuntu 8.04 on the hand-me-down T60 my dad gave me. To say it was unpolished was an understatement. It was so bad that I actually nuked it in the midst of midterms and installed Windows XP from the Lenovo recovery discs. Linux had failed to "just work" one time too many and I snapped.

Of course, things are different now. I gave Linux another go and now use Ubuntu 16.04 (haven't gotten around to upgrading to 18.04) on a Thinkpad T530. It's not so much that it's better than Windows, but it works well enough that I can safely avoid Windows 10 and all its associated baggage. I feel OSX is way more polished and I really like using it, but with the exception of the 11" Macbook Air, I hate the hardware it comes with.

OP didn't say he collects old Apple products, he only said that it's an Old Macintosh he had in the past.

>t. mactoddler

>I just turned on my old Power Macintosh
It's right there in the very first line of the OP.

>t. mactoddler op

It's good to hear that Ubuntu 16 is working for you. I can't remember why not, but there was some sort of Open Source kerfuffle over Ubuntu that made me avoid it way back when it was in low single digits.

I agree with you about the Mac hardware. The new port-less, dongle-riffic, failing-keyboard MacBook Pros without real function keys is a trainwreck of a product.

>OSX
>polished
You can polish a turd all you like, but it's still a turd.

Attached: macosupdates.png (750x933, 357K)

Even unpolished, the turd that is macOS is pretty good.
I wonder if the people that are complaining about quality are complaining about the OS itself or about all the Apple Apps that are released as part of the OS.
If you don't use iTunes, or Photos, etc etc, then the macOS releases are pretty good.

>this is what mactoddlers actually believe

Yep, I'm a big fat mactoddler. I can't do anything myself. I need the new Steve Daddy named Tim and his top managers to tell me what to think. I use the Mac exactly as it is delivered to me. I use the default Apps and never install new ones, as the Mac is perfect and complete.

This is the best bait thread in a while

MACTODDLERS BTFO

If anything I wrote was even remotely true, do you think that you would find me in Jow Forums?

"But they got a lot of forks and knives
And they gotta cut something"

UX "engineers", or whatever the fuck they wanna larp as, are the absolute worst

That was a huge point for some reason from Steve 'Shithead' Jobs, to have as low as possible latency between keypress and it displaying on the screen. Thankfully Woz could handle it.

Apple niggers ITT
how much would you pay for a mint condition 256gb macbook air 2017?
Like so mint it comes with the box

>Apple IIe
>3.5k
No, IIe had a minimum configuration of 64k. The Apple II from '77 came with 4k, 0.5k of being display.

>it's a mactoddler takes the wrong offramp on his way to plebbit episode

>all those jelly ass shitposters
Ain't got shit on my Macintosh.

Attached: IMG_000168k01.jpg (1000x750, 644K)

Imagine trying to be smart and failing this hard

>it's a mactoddler boomer thinks anyone is "jelly" of his literal toddler toys episode
lmao

Moar, this jelly tickles my e-peen.

Fuck you, I only now just started noticing the input lag on my phone.

Classic Macs a best.
Sup, E?

Attached: G3(G4).jpg (2560x1920, 893K)

>(You)

Ok, so how about these High Sierra delights:
>anyone can gain root with a blank password
>anyone can gain root with a blank password: Volume II - We Accidentally Reverted the Patch
>encrypted volume password gets leaked into password hint
>encrypted volume password gets leaked into logs
>anyone can change appstore preferences without password
These are all in the base system and there's no way to escape them, except maybe not upgrading ever.
Fuck you Apple shills.

Some of those where only in the preview release. High Sierra sucks ass, but please don't make retarded arguments like this with only half truths, makes you seem like a anti-Apple shill, just as bad as a fanboy or shill.

>Some of those where only in the preview release.
Stop lying. All of them were found after it went live.

Release:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#macOS_10.13_High_Sierra
>macOS 10.13 High Sierra was released to the public on September 25, 2017

Password hint bug:
hackernoon.com/new-macos-high-sierra-vulnerability-exposes-the-password-of-an-encrypted-apfs-container-b4f2f5326e79?gi=e17a2e76520c
>Sep 27, 2017
Granted, this one is pretty close, but still *after* the release.

Root with blank password:
twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935578694541770752
>28 Nov 2017

Root with blank password Vol. 2:
wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/
>Dec 1st 2017

Password in logs:
mac4n6.com/blog/2018/3/21/uh-oh-unified-logs-in-high-sierra-1013-show-plaintext-password-for-apfs-encrypted-external-volumes-via-disk-utilityapp
>March 21, 2018

>please don't make retarded arguments like this with only half truths, makes you seem like a anti-Apple shill, just as bad as a fanboy or shill.
I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. Could you repeat that?

Sorry, forgot about the appstore preferences:
openradar.appspot.com/36350507
>08-Jan-2018

Did Apple fire the entire QA team or what?

>not translating cringe compilation
just die

Yea, life sure was grand back in the days when computers were actually useful. Amazing how fast 20-year-old PCs are when compared to modern ones. I still remember when PCs had a toggle switch to turn them on and off, and would give you a command prompt literally 5 seconds after you flipped the switch. Fuck Microsoft, fuck Apple, fuck you all.

Attached: 1468359386447.jpg (960x1080, 127K)

Meaningless without the beige friendly plastic and a /comfy/ CRT display.
They have classic mode. Doesn't make it feel old, faggot. Mac OS 9 and before were much comfier too.
Your just some autistic kid looking at wikipedia articles. Nobody in this thread gives a fuck about whistler.

>Nobody in this thread gives a fuck about whistler.
Hi Bill, nobody liked the Fisherprice garbage you bolted on top of Win2k and sold as XP.

Isn't about the XP era, Joeseph.

>Cirno
>For Mac OS 9

Perfection

because people think they can actually improve upon the xerox alto, and they are usually wrong

Platinum was the absolute pinnacle of graphical user interface design. I'd love it if someone made an actually faithful implementation as a desktop environment. I've seen a few attempts, but none come remotely close.

>Stop lying. All of them were found after it went live.
Nope, those with the bugs after preview where preview releases updated but NOT patched. I'm talking about the blank password, don't know about other shit.

What I want to know is, why did KDE and Genome spend so much time making half-OSX, half-Windows XP interface abortions when they could have just mimicked this?

If Jow Forums ran Apple:

>1999
>"OK, UI engineers, listen up. You're all fired, we literally cannot improve on Platinum"
>2016
>"OK, Jony Ive, it's been a good run but you're fired. We literally cannot improve on the iPhone SE"