Why is /gee/ so obsessed with updates

Why is /gee/ so obsessed with updates

why is "dead software" so necessarily a bad thing?

take a look at this, for example, this is MPC HC, it's a media player that does exactly what it's supposed to do, play media, what updates would it need, mpv fags?

exhibit 2, web browsers, look at firefox vs waterfox/icecat/palemoon, people ditch waterfox and other forks for muh updates, despite that waterfox's point is to be a bloat free, mozilla bullshit free firefork with only the necessary security updates, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, yet you ditched it and and lost most of your extension support thanks to quantum.

tldr explain yourselves.

Attached: Media-Player-Classic-Home-Cinema-1413273157-0-0.jpg (589x462, 25K)

not updating is gay

why so insecure bro

mpv is lame. It doesn't even do DVD menus.

uTorrent 2.2.1. Not only still works, but nothing has caught up to it yet.

nigger MPC HC doesn't even use networking

i still use procmail on servers.
Its been "complete" since the early 2000's.

>mpc-hc
Nigga I'm still using Winamp in 2018 and will continue using it as long as it works.

Do you intend to upgrade to electric vehicle, knowing that it will never be compatible with gas stations and charging it will never be as quick? Also they make no thundering engine noise and they drive completely differently than ICE powered cars? I do, because despite all that it's all around better than gas car. And so do most people. Don't complain when your local gas stations start closing up, you had plenty of time to go electric, and you never did because of autistic non-reasons.
>inb4 hurr durr car analogy

It has major security holes and because of that trackers are blacklisting it.

They blacklisted the 3.x line because it's made by the same freetard monkeys who made the original open sores Bittorrent client, not the programming genius who made the original proprietary uTorrent.
Just goes to show you that you should never trust anything open sores.

>can't inspect proprietary source code
>can't see security holes
>THERE MUST BE NONE LMAO

>can inspect open sores source code
>still STALLS

>2.2.1.
I fucking hate seeing you faggots in the peer-list. You stick out so much.

Attached: 1457315263065.gif (640x360, 2.71M)

>why is "dead software" so necessarily a bad thing?
It's not as long as it's open source. Otherwise you get closed source software that doesn't adapt to API changes, so it won't run on newer versions of your OS. Or the OS it's compiled for is discontinued, and there are some operating systems and software that can't be emulated well or even at all. There are architectural changes in hardware. Open source however will bypass these problems. Take SGI for example. Their CAD tool called Open Inventor was open sourced and runs on Linux just fine to this very day. But their old MIPS workstations ran an OS called IRIX which was pretty much proprietary and closed source top to bottom, from the hardware and firmware up to the desktop. That OS can't even be emulated. Even the PROM (BIOS equivalent) can just now be booted headless in QEMU. It was good software, but now it's completely dead.

Attached: bfz9wZF.gif (379x216, 1.95M)

Having ratio trouble due to STALLING? We do tend to have the highest upload rates.

>can't do new codecs and containers
>outstanding bugs
>vulkan never-ever
MPC-HC is a-okay for now but it won't be in 5 years.

Then again, Windows 7 will be dead in 5 years so nobody will want to use MPC-HC anyway since it only works on Windows.

MPC-HC uses LAV which can be updated externally.

Some people have numerical autism. I blame Google Chrome for this.

still use it

Attached: 1529178118107.jpg (798x586, 142K)

I switched to mpv just to rid myself of the bug when loading large playlists caused mpchc to hang for a minute or two (probably to cache metadata which is not what I need). I use smplayer for a frontend, with mpchc theme.

No complaints.

Also I ascended to using ytdl for everything which is really convenient.

What if LAV updates to something that causes MPC-HC to crash but not other directshow players?
Does LAV need to adjust for MPC-HC because the player won't receive updates?
What if OS changes cause MPC-HC to perform differently or poorly. What do you do then?

Because people here including myself are constantly trying to trick morons. Remember when AMD FX processors came out? It was people like me tricking morons like you into wasting your money on crap.

AV1 is not available until 2025 so why even bother?

herro
ching chong?
kawaii desu
ricuu
hiroshima
ching chang chong go back to chinatown 2chan.net

>implying every single OS software will get a port to be able to run on new systems
You are way too optimistic about the OS community. They are like any other community and stick to the popular stuff, while ignoring everything else, even low-hanging fruits.
Only the autismos go for niches, but then you get some really shitty results.

Just switch to MPC-BE , its that same project but updated.

I use production software from the 90s that still work fine in Windows 10. Without using compatibility modes, even.

Well written software doesn't suffer from OS incompatibilities.

MPCHC uses external filters that can be updated separately, also it is open source so if it starts lagging too much, someone will just pick it up.

MPCHC itself was already a continuation of vanilla MPC to begin with. There was a giant, many year long gap between the two, and MPCHC was only made necessary because it added extra functions useful for HTPCs.

>Well written software doesn't suffer from OS incompatibilities.
Performance-optimized software like videogames does.

everything has to be new/up to date, consumerist bullshit

your mum a gay lol

I have occasional 1080P video slowdown for whatever reasons, on my Pentium Dual-Core, E8500 and Athlon II X3. MPV works like a charm.

caus their free software doesn't work and neither they nor those developing have a great idea on how to fix its inherent problems
>rolling release
[spoiler] vlc just werks [/spoiler]

Because Jow Forums is a consumerist board where people think that everything new is automatically better just because it's new, while everything that is older than a year is "ancient junk" that is bad just because it's old.

still sad I had to leave winamp after finding out you can't play anything other than 2,4,5.1,7.1 audio channel files. e.g. will crash if you try to play a 5 channel audio file (i.e. not 5.1)

Don't call all FOSS torrent clients shit just because libtorrent-rasterbar is fucking trash. rTorrent and Transmission are great.

bad actors can use holes in outdated software to exploit a system even if not directly though that software.

>what updates would it need, mpv fags?
Security.

autistic NEETs having nothing better to do user

It's a fucking media player that doesn't use networking, you retarded negro.

>that doesn't use networking
How little do you know about MPC-HC?

And I bet you use it to play untrusted pirate media from dodgy release groups you dumb fucking mongoloid.