/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your questions here.

Please first check the Jow Forums wiki for related keywords, and/or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.neocities.org/
startpage.com/
ddg.gg/lite

Jow Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/
Jow Forums sticky: →

Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with Previous thread:

Attached: 1529164410666.jpg (682x1024, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/firefox/
raw.githubusercontent.com/sceneq/RemoveGoogleTracking/master/RemoveGoogleTracking.user.js
drive.google.com/file/d/1XDD3a0jffjJPk7K5f3n1RjFXQzJB0v1f/view
winprivacy.de/english-home/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

penis

holy shit thanks dood.
is there any way to make it faster?
it takes like 2 min to transfer a small file and took ~8 hr for ~10000. itd be done by now if my gf's uncle didnt close my laptop
i think prob not cause the drive shit itself but why not ask

Is anyone else's Chrome browser acting weird? Holding the middle scroll wheel and dragging around the screen acts as scrolling normally but ever since last week whenever I drag the mouse to the left it ends up bringing out pic related from the side of the screen and does the browser's back button action. How do I disable this? It's bloody annoying.

Attached: ScrollLeft.png (58x86, 2K)

Just moved into a place with a friend of mine. We have Uverse, and my room is the furthest from the router, so the wifi is about 1/10th of its signal strength in my room.

What does Jow Forums normally do in this scenario? I know range extenders are useless since they will cut the speed in half in favor of signal reach, and there is no way I can get a cat5 cable connected to the modem/router combo all the way where I'm at.

for serious questions this time,

>pc worked as usual yesterday
>crystal disk info showed the drive was 100℅ last time I checked
>last time I turned the pc on it did some fucky shit but eventually booted
>assumed malware, ran malwarebytes, found and quarantined a thing codenamed adware.norassie
>open web browser
>get bsod (pic related)
>won't boot, pc recovery doesn't work
1: is my hard drive kill or can I still get my data?

2: what's a good hard drive that won't shit itself after 7000 hours? heard hgst is a good brand but most of their models are enterprise, not sure if it makes a difference

Attached: IMG_20180616_102317.jpg (3328x1872, 2.17M)

>Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with
Too bad I already made one thread... My bad Jow Forums, I'm new here.

Thread: >I need to make a fucking SR Latch (NAND) for my uni project. But I don't fucking know anything about eletronics and shit like this.
>WTF am I doing wrong?
>Please help a brainlet fren Jow Forumsays
>Also, this is supposed to be a NAND gate made out of transistors and shit. I know how logic gates work, but I know nothing about transistors and stuff

Attached: nand gay t.png (394x744, 26K)

Would my graphics card perform better if my secondary monitor was plugged into my motherboard?

Anyone else having trouble upgrading openSUSE Tumbleweed due to package ghc-parsec failing digest verification? Any solution? Unblock? Seems like a bad idea.

prob not the hdd cause it still boots. try booting into a linux live session and access your files. you can then reinstall windows

a CACHE_MANAGER stopcode means a problem happened in the file system's cache manager, you drives might be fucked
but it can also happen if the system tries to allocate nonpaged memory (memory which can't be paged out to disk), but there isn't enough, which might have happened in your case
try connecting the drive to another computer

No, having a second monitor barely affects performance, we are talking about 1% or less unless you are playing games in both screens.

What do I do after I install gentoo?

how do i reset my mysql root password? i havent touched it in +3 years on this machine and have no idea what it might be.. 2 youtube videos i tried were no help

you need AND gates instead of transistors
yours also wouldnt work cause it relies on the batteries getting power from nowhere
your transistors are backwards anyways. the C is the input B is the switch and E is output

hope my image helps. if you just need one output then add 2 diodes and combine the outputs

Attached: Untitled.png (800x600, 25K)

Where to download Windows 8.1 apps? Is there any alternative similar to Apkpure for Android?

yeah hi, mike here from buffalo, just callin in wondering if theres a server rack standard thats smaller than 19"

logicalincrements.com/firefox/

Is there an updated equivalent of this floating around? Been on Chrome for years and thinking about switching back to Firefox.

Attached: e.png (500x500, 202K)

some of you may be aware that when you click on a result link google adds parameters to track/profile you if you have no javascript
raw.githubusercontent.com/sceneq/RemoveGoogleTracking/master/RemoveGoogleTracking.user.js
if you have this userscript does the click still register with google? can the script kick in fast enough to remove those google url parameters before they are sent to google?

I have two displays, one HDMI, the other DVI.
Recently my DVI display has not been working.
It'll show my desktop image for a split second before going black. It does this whenever I change the resolution or fuck with it's display settings in Windows.
How do I fix this shit?

Is there a way to upgrade my Raspbian Stretch Lite to Raspbian Stretch with desktop? If so, how do I do it?

tried this?
sudo apt-get install -y raspberrypi-ui-mods rpi-chromium-mods
sudo reboot

looks like it will be enough. Google searches show those two packages will pull the desktop packages

Thank you user-kun.

do this, and try using the hard drive in a different computer to see if it's completely kill

who is she?

How do you upscale your resolution on intel integrated graphics. im running 4600

What's a good lib for making Android games? I got started with libgdx but I'm wondering if there's anything better. I need something that's free as in free beer.

How can i start contribute to free software?

I want to capture my Panasonic G7's 4k output for my streaming setup. Do I need a specific capture card for this like an Elgato? I'm doing live streams from it, I want to output 4k and downscale it to 1080 (for a sharper image).

Attached: elgato_systems_10025026_4k60_pro_1373418.jpg (2500x2500, 409K)

Why does she have a JO crystal?

I've got a problem with qbittorrent

After reinstalling my Mint I've rechecked all my torrents and after I start them, they stop seeding after few seconds and get "completed" state

what am I doing wrong

Will IoT be the death of modern computing and networking as we know it? It's becoming more apparent that nothing is secure and its all disguised as corporate lies, which I expected, but now it's at a level that I'm surprised that we aren't on a level of the I

Attached: DefMDdMVAAAUoWH.png (750x870, 1001K)

Got a weird problem with my phone.
It keeps pausing one media source and playing another, switching back and forth twice a second.
Android, xperia z5, lineage os 14.1

Attached: 57277029.jpg (184x184, 23K)

I'm looking for a cheap, small, all-in-one Windows machine (with Wi-Fi) that I will use as a server for personal development projects (Arduino-like). It doesn't have to be fast.

Got any recommendations?

Does anyone know of a good program that can record my mouse/keystrokes input and play it back on a loop? Most of the ones I've tried have been terrible. Need to automate some workflow.

Getting a new monitor.

Opinions on the BenQ GW2270?

Also, is HDMI supposed to be better than DVI?

Not sure if getting the DVI, HDMI, or dual version for future proof. My current GPU has two DVI outputs and one mini HDMI.

I can't find a thread for this:

are there any video file types that "snap together" easily? Is it feasible to made a video format designs for small clips to be seamlessly merged into one file without render times?

Should I get a Linux Foundation Certified Engineer certification?

Or is it a waste of hundreds of dollars to get a cert like that?

Windows PC for the past few months has been BSOD, but as of late has been doing it every time I boot it up, gets errors ranging from MEMORY_MANAGEMENT to just 0x000021a. I've come to the conclusion its either ram or CPU would this be a reasonable conclusion?

Some Icelandic bitch who was posted on Jow Forums yesterday

what makes clipping and concatenating video clips difficult with some formats is due to how they're compressed, namely, not all frames are 'whole', making it impossible to split on them
simply put, in modern video compression, you have periodic Intra (I) frames, which are whole images, which can be decoded on their own, you can split on them, and between those, you have Inter (P/B) frames, these just encode the difference from the previous frame(s) (possibly also using information from future frames), which makes them much smaller, at the cost of needing previous frames to be decoded before they can be, so you can't split on them

the solution, and what is used in production for intemediate use, is to encode your video using only Intra (I) frames, it's not practical for long term storage, due to the massive hit in compression efficiency you'll get

Lately after I complete a captcha and try to send a message I get "You mistyped the captcha, or the captcha malfunctioned." I need to do the captcha and send like 3-5 times on average before the message goes through.

Anyone an idea why and how to fix it?

>why
hiro needs extra money from google for your captcha gains
>fix it
Dont use Jow Forums

what are good bitrates for x265 video?

i got a tv show episode (not animated btw) with 1080p resolution and a bitrate of 3220 kb/s. For x264, 3220 for 1080p is far too low, but i read x265 can use lower bitrates with no quality difference.

Why are sorting algorithms considered so fundamental? Is it because "algorithms" in general are considered so fundamental and sorting algorithms are babby's first algorithms? I've seen some CS job interview sites that have tables the Big O performance of every sorting algorithm and it seems like they and some interviewers expect people to actually know and memorize this.

Heap and stack I get. Pointers and stuff I get. The work I do would be literally impossible without an understanding of these and the work that other people do is significantly improved or made easier by understanding these. Knowing common data structures and when to use them makes things magnitudes easier as well. I could see a decent argument for knowing the best and worst case for finding something in an array versus a hashmap. I can personally vouch that I've fucked up hard by making the wrong choice in that before. But that's a property of the structure itself, right? What does memorizing the worst case scenario of shitsort actually do for me?

Attached: am_i_retarded.jpg (665x574, 29K)

the fact you gave a specific example suggests you intend to transcode that highly compressed video to x265
saving space with minimal quality loss depends on creating an encode from /the same source/
what you're doing is similar to taking a jpeg and converting it to webp because you heard it's better than jpeg, you just end up with something worse than what you started with, and the compression efficiency is complicated by the fact the second codec has to now try to preserve the first codec's artifacts

You're fine, nobody needs to memorize all the details, you just need to know the concepts and remember which structures are quick/slow at what operations in general, and what your platform(s) offer. If you need something specific or are optimizing you can always look up which sort type is better for this-particular-tree.

IoT meme is losing its buzz. Sure, convergence is still occurring as it has forever, but the "IoT" meme is going away.

oh, also, "what are good bitrates for ... video" makes no sense
the only time you need to pick a bitrate is if you have fixed bandwidth which you have no reason not to fill (pretty unlikely, unless you're doing broadcast TV or something)
besides that, "what's good" depends mostly on your video content (and the rest on settings and preferences), since this varies so wildly, people don't encode video with a fixed bitrate unless really necessary (fixed, dedicated pipe is basically the only reason for it)

Could anyone recommend a good DSLR / Mirrorless camera < $1000 AUD (so roughly ~$600 USD).
I'm looking at a cannon 200D but i don't really know what im looking for. I want to be able to take close up photos and far away photos, so i know i want good optical zoom and the ability to use lenses.
I also want the camera to give me good quality photos and not just shitty .jpgs (RAW or PNG or something?) I havent used RAW but i assume it's easy to convert them to png/jpg.
I'm not a photography buff and i don't really want to learn all the gory hobby details, i just want to take some nice photos for personal use.

Attached: 1525293521826.jpg (500x344, 38K)

Want to move away from NodeJS to something with some higher demand capacity
Thinking GO+GIN or Elixir+Phoenix?
Thoughts?

>Want to move away from NodeJS to something with some higher demand capacity
you'll need to be more specific

Attached: Carlos_ge01.jpg (500x375, 29K)

Lenses are more important than bodies. Buy a 600D and spend the rest on lenses. Pirate adobe lightroom to work with RAW (.cr2).
When you take a .jpg it takes all the data from the camera sensor and decides on 1 exact image to give you and throws the rest away. raw keeps all the information that the sensor captures and lets your decided (gives you more exposure and white balance to play with without losing image quality).
You can set it to take raw and jpg at the same time.

I need an all-purpose PC, but mainly for work in Adobe programs, could I get a quick check of my plan?

>i7 8700k
>ASUS Z370-A
>G.SKILL 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
>Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
>EVGA 750w G3
>Fractal R5

And I'm planning to get a GPU (probably when the next gen hits, I'm not in a hurry), aftermarket cooler, and an HDD down the line. Are there any issues or alternatives I'm overlooking?

Thanks mate. I'll check out the 600D and figure out what sort of lenses i'll need

i7 is good way to go for adobe apps, i assume you know they gimp their AMD optimizations.
If working with video is 16GB enough?
250GB SSD is "OS and programs" only, if you went bigger you could store your hot-data there too.
Fractal R6 is out, IMO its an improvement on the R5 (worth checking the differences).

Thinking Go+gin and elixir+Phoenix?
It's clearly an http API I am simply rewriting in a more scalable and stable language
What more do you need to know?

I dont think that IoT is going away, in part IoT is needed to justify Big data. You need shit to produce insane amounts of data that need to be analyzed.
Eventually some IoT devices will be secure, but if you think that "smart" devices like bulbs or locks are dissapearing, I think you are deluded.
Think of it, all those insecure shit needs cybersec guys to secure them and all that data generated needs Big Data to be processed. They literally made a new source of revenue out of nothing

Autohotkey is easy to learn and good for workflow automation.

>I'd go with a noctua cooler (d-15?) 8700k doesn't come with a stock cooler
>8700k is great if u want to go intel
>get the z370 strix-F, better VRM and audio, z370-a is meh
>any gskill 3000+mhz kit is great
>go ~256gb nvme m.2 for boot drive
>sata SSD for primary storage, HDD for secondary
>good choice on PSU
>decent case

good idea waiting for next gen gpu, I'm sure a gtx1070 will be pretty cheap in a couple months

>I'm in cyber sec, and now I want out, normies don't care, life is a near constant fear of data leaks and high hell of constant patches and updates.
I want into cybersec, and you need to learn to cover your ass. Like sending emails advising your clients about the common risks and what to do if they get fucked.
Telling clients that they are 100% protected is a surefire way to get stressed up, because NO ONE can be 100% protected, as it will always be 0-days or default configs made by clumsy admins.
I memeber telling a client that ransomware is unavoidable so they better make sure to have a strong backup strategy. By boss wanted my balls on a plate, but I explained to him that the best approach was not to sell an uncrashable car, but selling good insurance. You cant avoid some things from happening, specially with fucking corporate people, but you can have a good recovery strategy, that will make them feel safe and will bring you some peace of mind.

>Start windows 7 from Windows 10 boot menu since windows 10 kept giving me a black screen post boot menu after turning PC off by the switch
>Restart computer
>Now keeps booting to windows 7 with no boot menu option at all
>Windows 10 already the default option in windows 7 startup and recovery settings
>"Operating system not found" on when making bios boot windows 10 SSD
>Files still intact and accessible on the drive

I thought I'd try 16GB first and then upgrade if I feel it's necessary, or upgrade regardless if the prices go down.
With my current workload I'm only taking up ~40GB on my current SSD at any given moment so I thought 250GB would be enough, though I'll see if the price of upgrading is negligible.
Thanks, I'll check out the R6.

I wasn't aware the 8700k doesn't come with a cooler, this is the type of overlook I was expecting to avoid, thanks, I'll look into the D-15.
The Strix-F is even cheaper than the Prime-A where I'm buying so I'll look into that.
Is the performance increase on an M.2 really that noticeable compared to a standard drive?

I have a laptop 5400 rpm HDD and on Linux when there is a load on the disk I/O like copying files or installing a package it uses 100% of the disk power making the system too slow for me to use and prevents programs from launching until the copying finishes but in windows it works fine and windows knows how to balance the disk usage usage between programs

is there a way to fix it

Attached: 6a00d8354f1fb569e2015390d2f7cb970bpi.jpg (500x375, 27K)

When I'm using a mobile hotspot instead of wifi (the signal in my room sucks) for some reason threads look like this.

The catalog looks fine, so what could be causing the threads to not load properly?

Attached: thread.png (1920x1080, 134K)

>Is the performance increase on an M.2 really that noticeable compared to a standard drive?
NVME drives kill SATA SSDs in sequential read speeds, somewhat kill in sequential write speeds, and are only fractionally faster (< 2 times) in random read/writes which are the most important for system responsiveness.
So basically, no, NVME isnt that important a speed boost for general system use. If you're reading and writing large files (like big video files) to SSD then yeah, it can be a good speed up.

pretty much this, depending on the adobe programs you're using, NVME might be unnecessary.

I'm new here, so I don't know how many times this question has been asked, but should ReactOS be a thing? I thought about installing, but upon further reading, the project is pretty much just a meme. Could it ever be more than that?

Try removing that shitty ad blocker you're using and use uBlock Origin instead

Can't believe I didn't think to try that, I guess since I don't have issues on wifi I didn't think to blame adblock.

Getting rid of adblock and installing uBlock Origin fixed the issue completely. Thanks user!

Attached: bad gateway.jpg (509x435, 37K)

No one ever reply me on these sqt but is there any common filters that I must apply in anime bdmvs?
I remember reading somewhere that I have to cut the first few milliseconds because it is just a black frame.
Although I haven't really checked the ones I have... Should I just encode it without any shitty filters?

Attached: 1526048615850.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

why did acestream make an acestream directory in /home ? there is literally nothing inside

Attached: file.png (521x161, 21K)

buy an ssd

I want to upgrade from 7 to 10 because of reasons, but I don't want to pay. Where do I get an upgrade to 10 iso?

Already thought of it maybe in the near future

Someone please help me understand why this is happening, my Windows 10 is slowing down over time. Every 2-3 hours, Windows suddenly slows to a crawl and sometimes I can't even open task manager. I've got 16GB ram, i7 4770k cpu, 120 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, and a radeon hd6950.

make a partition with roughly the same size of your users folder, make a backup of it on said partition and install windows 10 from scratch using kms drive.google.com/file/d/1XDD3a0jffjJPk7K5f3n1RjFXQzJB0v1f/view

Just download the windows 10 media creation tool, do a fresh install, and enter your 7 key. It still works.

That is way too little info to do tech support with. Any other relevant info? Weird event log messages occurring around the slow downs? Have you run memtest, hddscan, etc to check various components? Do you know which process(es) are consuming your CPU/RAM when this is happening (if indeed it is a resource shortage issue)?
Not sure what else to suggest.

Sorry, yeah, I'm currently running hddscan. Is memtest any different from Windows' own memory test? Because nothing turned up for the Windows memory diagnostic.
Also one thing I noticed in resource monitor is the blue line for CPU is all the way at the top. Is that normal?

Attached: 1510467664271.png (197x141, 2K)

blue line is max frequency, green line is actual cpu usage

What's the best software to recover an Archive password?
Hard mode: rar segmented archive.

>tfw 460w power supply
What's the best gpu I can run with this, until I get a better power supply?

Attached: pepe_coffee.png (306x306, 70K)

not sure if this goes here or on /v/

i bought a steelseries status xl controller to play games with on my pc and when i play games it seems to have lots of weird, specific issues (e.g. in dark souls i can't jump or pause the game while moving)

one thing i noticed was that if i turn the controller off then turn it on again, for the first few seconds after pairing and connecting with the computer on it works perfectly, then it goes back to being shit

does anyone know if there's a fix for this?

Attached: thumbnail_steelseries stratus xl windows intro.jpg (750x500, 38K)

I own an ryzen 2400g and 3200mhz ddr4 RAM (2x 4gb), but RAM doesn't get full on 3200mhz without forcing them in Mobo's BIOS. What would worth more, OC the cpu or RAM in my case?

What's the rest of your system drawing? The 10 series nvidia cards use very little power compared to cards 5 years ago.

Is learning win32 API inevitable if you want to make decent windows programs?

None of my OSes will boot if my backup HDD is connected (stuck in an infinite loop). How can I go about getting my data off it so I can throw it in the trash?

Thoughts on Dark Rock Pro 4?

You can do almost without it using the .NET framework.
Almost as in some special things that aren't abstracted through it.

forgot to quote.

Is there such a thing as tab groups for web browsers on android?

I haven't updated my windows in a while. Do you know how to update win 7 with minimal bloat/telemetry in 2018?

Also I need hyperV for a shitty MCSA cert. Is running hyperV possible on win7 pro?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (770x578, 41K)

bumpu

You deserve a reply, but i can't help you. It's kind of a specific area, perhaps /a/ or Jow Forumsptg/ can help?

Linux.
Also Windows>Testdisk/Recuva

So my system just froze for like 15 mins then eventually came back to life. Event viewer shows nothing in either System or Application, and maybe the only suspicious component in Resource Monitor is the disk, which at that moment it froze was full up with green.

Update, then debloat with W10privacy: winprivacy.de/english-home/

I'm not entirely sure since I'm not home but maybe this can give an idea, as far as compatibility goes. I'm

Attached: speccy.png (648x466, 32K)

Thanks for the reply!
I'd like to keep win7, and w10privacy seems to only work with windows 10. Looking w10 lead me to some tools that work with win7, however.