There are kids these days that will grow up not knowing what VHS is

There are kids these days that will grow up not knowing what VHS is.

Attached: index.jpg (259x194, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hisyfkxxu_8&feature=youtu.be&t=49
youtu.be/1g46MyWCLmg
youtube.com/watch?v=1g46MyWCLmg
youtube.com/watch?v=VYxQ3nNeZRY
youtube.com/watch?v=yGxw3rcBw1I
youtube.com/watch?v=3_K-HUXGyAw
youtube.com/watch?v=f3vLVlTfAaw
youtube.com/watch?v=9g9FXdGDMww
youtu.be/gkMofkp4bNw
youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
youtube.com/watch?v=vHps2iC8W3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There are already kids that have no fucking clue what a DVD is, let alone a VHS.

Does it really matter? Do you really give a shit if some kid in the playground hasn't learned about some piece of outdated video medium?

So what?

yes im autistic and boring

That's actually great. The technology was shit. Every single thing about VHS is annoying and terrible.

>Does it really matter?
Yes

Who gives a fuck?

Cut me some slack guys, I'm slightly inebriated, and wanna feel not so old.
VHS was the best thing to ever happen to home movies.

Fuck you.

I hope you drink yourself to a slow death. Get buried in your shitty VHS fort.

>I hope you drink yourself to a slow death
I mean, I probably will.
But until then, fuck you and your reddit spacing.

Can you feel the love tonight?
Or are you pushing rope?

>Certain combinations of atoms won't remember other combinations of atoms.

Attached: mpv-shot0190.jpg (640x480, 57K)

There are kids these days that will never need a hand crank to start their car.

Attached: 004-1862-yarrow-hilditch-presented-at-london-exhibition-1862_orig-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 117K)

>Exaggeration
Good one, m80.

I'm really glad they will not have to. Fuck VHS, stupid things broke easily and if you didn't have a good enough player, you had to rewind the tapes by yourself.

>you had to rewind the tapes by yourself.
But that's the best part, you want to rewatch the movie you just watched, but have to spend a literal eternity rewinding the tape.
Kids learned to wait, these days kids have a literal mental breakdown if they can't get instant gratification.

Rewinding and fast-forwarding were the single best thing about VHS and analog media in general
You could skip those shitty warnings and logos.
You could fast-forward or rewind PRECISELY where you needed and if you stop watching you resume exactly where you left off.
Rewinding the tape to the beginning was pretty shitty but that's how the medium worked, DVD has even bigger flaws in my opinion, you gotta sit through the logos and warnings EVERY TIME you load it up, you can't ff/rewind preoperly because it skips instead of actually going frame by frame and if you stop watching you gotta use scene select and fast forward. VHS wasn't great but it was very consumer friendly, DVD took all that away in favor of securing corporate interests, which sucks more than any flaw VHS might've had.

Digital copies and streaming fixes all of the downsides of a DVD.

Yes, but can your chair do this ... ?

Attached: fravia-5.jpg (354x378, 19K)

No, did you grow up with this?

We actually had one for a while when I was a kid. My old man had to position a crank thingy in the front of the beast and work it around. Good times. Details are fuzzy; everything was in B&W back then.

Attached: card0.jpg (346x504, 92K)

>Nala's voice actress

Attached: 9c0.jpg (426x341, 29K)

Piracy fixes all the downsides of a DVD and all the downsides of streaming and digital copies.

No. I grew up with different stuff. VHS is the tip of the iceberg though. I asked my friends daughters if they wanted a walkman ( I had a minty Sony sports,waterproof walkman; thought it might be good for .. something). They looked at me with blank faces; didn't know what I was talking about.

youtu.be/1g46MyWCLmg

Attached: 1529212923880.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

Basically this.

Attached: 1513846718898.jpg (640x480, 76K)

Our kids will also ask us why there is a strange banana icon for calling someone, and why there is this strange rectangle for saving.

No, and fuck you, that shit ins't fair.

That's right. Shit is changing at an accelerating rate. If you bump into a technology a bit late, or one you don't particular want to spend time getting on top of, just stall, it'll go away soon enough.

>But that's the best part, you want to rewatch the movie you just watched, but have to spend a literal eternity rewinding the tape.
The fuck?
I grew up with VHS and rewinding is something I don't miss at all. I was so happy when we got a VCR with a turbo rewind feature since it only took a minute or so instead of 5 to rewind a tape.

Tape technology was a necessary evil of its time.
Vinyl and Laserdisc were large and unweildy and inflexible formats. The discs themselves were arguably fragile. Laserdisc arguably was so damn bad, because the players were known for breaking down all the time and were expensive to fix. And super expensive to get in the first place.
Tape solved a lot of the issues. Quality was awful but tapes were cheap to make, easy to record onto and over, and compact. Cassette tapes were amazing because at that time it meant you could have music system in a car or portably on you and you could easily switch music in and out.
As soon as Compact Discs and Digital Video Discs came out, tape formats quickly died as the prices of that media began to fall due to economies of scale. CDs and DVDs were the best of both worlds.

Except how it's not? I mean sure, he chose an out dated example but his point still stands.
There will always be knowledge/technology that one generation knows
that the next won't

Fuck off 30 year old boomer.

I'm only 28 you mongoloid, and have not crossed the 3 decade threshold, and therefore do no qualify as old.

I'm glad that I never grew up with VHS
And since my parents were pretty early adopters of Blu-ray, a lot of my childhood memories come from them

Attached: 1527829951101.png (336x356, 107K)

You sure you're allowed to to be here, you literal baby?

I'm afraid to tell you that I am
I was around 8-9 years old when we got a PS3 with Blu-rays, so it had to be around 2008-09

LMFAO old ass 25 year old boomers assblasted that they grew up poor and we didn't.

Attached: japwomenteam.jpg (1200x730, 241K)

>kids born during the turn of the millennia are now legal adults

Attached: just pull the cord already.jpg (710x960, 136K)

It will happen to you soon already though, once UHD 4k blu rays drop in price.
Blu Rays will be the secondary like DVDs were. DVDs will still survive due to a lot of poor people just not caring at all.

great thread

There are people out there that are buying 1080p TVs in 2018. When entry level 4k TVs are just as cheap and straight up better 90% of the time.
You have to remember how far ahead of the curve we usually are here.

Meanwhile in Germany they're still selling 720p TV's to people who don't know any better like my relatives
>Look user what a nice TV we bought!

Attached: 1521718875452.png (189x185, 83K)

>There are people out there that are buying 1080p TVs in 2018
>4k is now entry level
>I'm still busy trying to complete my (Norwegian) Disney VHS collection

Attached: Untitled22.png (400x231, 96K)

Oh god it's the Norwegian Lion King VHS poster again

Cassettes are making a vintage comeback, someone at work was saying his15 year old daughter was stopping using her phone for music and bought a 80s walkman off eBay.

>that feel when someone actually remembers you
I love you too, here, have some superior version of your favorite childhood songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=1g46MyWCLmg
youtube.com/watch?v=VYxQ3nNeZRY

Attached: 7031650441106.jpg?w=360.jpg (331x450, 34K)

Weren't you the same guy from the VHS discussion thread last week?
Anyway, I never grew up with Lion King anyway but the songs sound kinda catchy

Tape media were so much more fun to handle than optical shit.
I don't miss VHS, but I do miss floppies and audio tapes for their form factor.

why?

Well I'm glad she bought a walkman instead of these absolute trash chinese players from Amazon

I know. It's amazing how reluctant people in the EU and UK are to upgrade.
They will buy a £20 DVD player for a 720p/1080p TV they bought for £150.
But like they could get a blu ray player for arounf £50-60 right now and a entry level 4k TV for like £200-300. The cheapest 4k blu ray player I found (and bought) is a Panasonic DMP-UB300 for £120 from Hughes (£130 and £10 off voucher). It does a great job.
Whilst they won't have proper HDR, they could have a 4k setup for around £350-400 right now.
My Dad, back in the year 2000, purchased a DVD Home media system for about £1500. That included a Sony CD Player, DVD Player, 5.1 AV receiver sound system, and 32 inch Widescreen CRT.
We've come a long way in tech anons. It's way cheaper than we realise.

>Weren't you the same guy from the VHS discussion thread last week?
Holy fuck, you actually do remember me.
>Anyway, I never grew up with Lion King anyway but the songs sound kinda catchy
CATCHY?
Did you hear the voice actress of Norwegian Nala, that is not catchy, that is you're literally 5 years old, and understand why you got a hard-on.

Nobody cares, boomer

>boomer
You think is is some kind of derogatory term, Mr. Millennial?

fucking this
>every time you watch the quality degrades, and if you don't store the tape in some environmentally controlled place it degrades over time
>have to clean your vcr with shitty special tapes
>oops that tape just got desroyed
>low quality video and audio
>fragile

Can you imagine the horror when the nightmare reality where people other than sick babies don't know what an abacus is?
Oh my stars, I pray that time don't come when I'm still kickin

Attached: 9491.jpg (540x540, 57K)

Good for them. Those things wear out fast. Discs actually last if you are careful

>easy to record over
this is a double edged sword that's fucked over many people, and also not universally true, especially towards the last few years of vhs

>watching dubs
Everything should be watched in the original Japanese.

youtube.com/watch?v=3_K-HUXGyAw
youtube.com/watch?v=f3vLVlTfAaw

some peoples lives don't revolve around the fidelity of their gadgets

Wow, that shit is literal trash.
I don't usually mind vocaloids, but god damn, I hope you get cancer just for posting that shit.

Yes, you fucking faggot. You're acting way too nostalgic for your fucking age, stop caring about dumb shit from your childhood like it's special.

>stop caring about dumb shit from your childhood like it's special.
It is special though, because it is from my childhood.
Not that you would know with all the generic garbage being produced these days.
You'll probably never understand what nostalgia is.

Look you stupid faggot I was born in the 80s and I remember all this shit too, but 30 year old boomer nostalgia is disgusting.

>but 30 year old boomer nostalgia is disgusting.
Which is how I know you're not a so called boomer.

kids probably stream netflix dont even use dvds

youtube.com/watch?v=9g9FXdGDMww

It was a good replacement for streamers.
R.I.P

Not even actual boomers are quite this pathetic.

Obviously you're wrong, mr millennial.

no u

Calm down kid, and sooth your feelings in the voice that can literally cure ED.

nigga I already rewatched that movie to death twenty years ago

Good point.

Did you watch it in the superior dub?

>There are kids these days that will grow up not knowing what Bluray is.

Fuck off Titor.

I prefer some of the norwegian versions but norwegian we are one is shit fåvæ

betamax is vhs but came earlier and better in every single way, even though still shit

>norwegian we are one is shit
You best be joking.

Attached: 1521264149309.jpg (710x508, 360K)

yes, I watched it in English, the language of the masters and owners of the world

>there are kids this days that will grow up not knowing what telegraph is
Well, i mean, they wont event know how to spell their name in Morse code, how fucking bad is that? Is it the decay of our civilization?
t. 130 yo boomer

>the language of the masters and owners of the world
youtu.be/gkMofkp4bNw

touche

Attached: 1528589336738.jpg (600x600, 173K)

God I wish we had widespread digital back then. So many recordings stuck with shitty SD VHS quality.

I still have both from my comfy childhood days, including the players and the devices for rewinding. But the tapes have molds now. My parents didn't buy laser disc, those were expensive back in the day.

Attached: wet pussy.jpg (1920x1080, 98K)

... but there are still phones in offices and shit, and they’ll never be phased out, so the normal telephone receiver won’t ever disappear...

recording movies from television program
lending it to friends
glorious times

>lending it to friends
for them to copy
glorious times indeed

youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

The generation loss was insane though

>There are kids these days that will grow up not knowing how to milk a cow, plant crops, and get rewarded from working the land and the sweat of your brow
All progress is bad, never improve.

Good, I dont miss it.
I do miss rental stores though.

No you dumb nigger. People will still know about VHS. The internet is called the information highway for a reason.

no

Wrong

>11 AM Sunday morning
>it was Friday evening just a few hours ago
Well, time to go pass out for a day or so.
But fear not, I'll be back in 5 days or so(or whenever the next Friday is) to tell you all about VHS, and the superior versions of The Lion King.

youtube.com/watch?v=vHps2iC8W3o