What went wrong?

Attached: rxvega64-800x453.jpg (800x453, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9R8F-aN6W4g
anandtech.com/show/9969/jedec-publishes-hbm2-specification
gamersnexus.net/guides/3032-vega-56-cost-of-hbm2-and-necessity-to-use-it
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the chip wasnt designed for highend desktop gpu and they had to factory overclock it

amd

PAJEET CUM

Inefficient and miners

Remember that time we completely ceded the high end market to nvidia for almost a year by having no high end product only to cede it after failing to compete with a shitty product for a year after that?
Mmm I sure love nvidia's cock that you've left me all alone with amd, thanks~!

copying a 6 year old architecture due to having less total RnD (all cpu+gpu), using expensive HBM2 meant for professional/high density HPC operating at a slower rate because samsung had yield delays resulting in memory starvation and their flagship product being delayed several months, and trying to revolutionize their front-end on an anemic ROP by software advancements on a team already spread thin with indefinitely delayed NGG, incomplete DSBR and cancelled driver primitive shaders

RTG won't be back for a while, but i can see navi putting up a fight with node advantage. i do hope for an AMD miracle on graphics as well

nothing
sold 10x the amount fury did
flying off shelves to the point that no one can buy it
supply not meeting demand = perfect amount of money made
ggwp get fucked

>able to compete with every single except for the competitor's highest end model
>not competitive

It has 1080 performance. 1080 performance. The only thing out there that is faster is the 1080Ti. How the fuck does it not compete with nVidia? You fucking morans.

>b-but muh overblown prices

HAve the cryptotjoos to thank for that and you know it.

All of this.

imagine being this much of a brainlet
like everyone fucking needs a 1080ti or some shit
95% of purchases are at the rx580/1060 or v56/1070 level.
y'all are retards
next gen from nvidia and amd will be WAY better than this gen so if you bought anything in the past ~3 years you should off yourself
t. gtx 970 user

Big three memory fabs jewed the price of VRAM, miners ate up supply anyway, prices still haven't recovered

Vega at MSRP is quite competitive, but it's never at MSRP

The AMD part, lol

Attached: 1529204203059.png (263x197, 47K)

This, but it did take a long time for amd to release vega, so there was still a time where there was almost no high end option if you wanted amd

so that's why it's running so hot

Attached: 1522601433621.jpg (1024x1024, 122K)

I am happy with my Vega 56.
It performs very well.

>what

pajeets

Attached: 1514794994304.jpg (632x1024, 65K)

A fuckhuge die, uncommon memory, pushing the clocks too high, relatively old arch, "drivers will fix it", idiotic marketing, lying to customers and reviewers, etc.
Some of it can be ascribed to AMD's lack of funds, but the rest is just Raja's staggering incompetence.

>you don't NEED that power
>just buy the normie midrange garbage because my favorite brand don't have anything in the high-end section of ther market
I strongly advise you to consider killing yourself, my man.

Budget and developer cuts because of Navi (and because AMD doesn't have a huge R&D budget anyway).

But you wanted a meme answer right so here we go:

Nothing went wrong since the miners bought all the cards anyway at any price they asked. Sorry, no cheap nvidia cards for you.

sugoi strawman Jensen, but the post merely said that not everyone need an 1080ti and that a lot of people can get by with 580/1060 because they don't have any way to utilize the added performance (e.g. 1080p@60Hz which is by far the most common display resolution).

Attached: 1500142395850.png (359x423, 182K)

Pajeets writes drivers.

The normies are buying and will be buying intel/nvidia for a long time. No amd representation in a high-end market is a very bad thing for them.

too little too late

so much, but its still the best card with proper linux support

I have a 144hz, 1440p freesync monitor. should i just get an nvidia card or wait til vega gets cheaper?

vegas not too expensive now.

He is right, most gamers are fine with RX560-RX580 or 1060-1070. 1080ti is great for VR, 4K or if you get a boner from high FPS/benchmarking. Otherwise it is a waste of money that could not even be considered futureproofing.

But if you want to suck nVidia's dick that badly I wont stop you

sold 10 times more than fury

youtube.com/watch?v=9R8F-aN6W4g

Cringey stuff like this

Raja fought hard to make RTG so independent it even has its own marketing unit. Now you know where all that effort went.

0 x 10 = 0

Development powered by diversity hirees like raja koduri

me too friend

I don't believe anyone in this thread has a 1080ti.

>we

Attached: 1500361643643.png (571x618, 29K)

nothing

Seems like a successful product that sells well, with a great free software driver.

Yeah I was pretty pissed. Bought a 1440p/144Hz Freesync monitor and then realized AMD had nothing to drive it. 390X was extremely rare and Fury X was crippled with 4GB of VRAM. Ended up buying a 980Ti until Vega came out.

>i can see navi putting up a fight with node advantage

Navi is guaranteed millions of sales as it was pretty much commissioned by Sony for the PS5.

>great free software driver
Lol no, Vega was broken on Linux for months after release unless you used AMDGPU PRO, I'm even on Arch, can't imagine how long it took for Debian/Ubuntu to add Vega support. Vega drivers are still far behind Polaris as well.

The primary differentiating factor between it and an overclocked Fury/Fiji (new primitive shader pipeline) was never able to be enabled in shaders compiled from legacy software and APIs. As such, it was stuck with the same 4 tris/clock that GCN has been bottlenecked on since Nvidia started bribing devs to use HairWorks. The only thing AMD could do is make yet another factory overclock.

If Navi can't find a way to get around 4 tris/clock, it will be even further locked out of the high-end segment.

Attached: furyx.png (1228x1268, 515K)

>was broken
>was

I'll tolerate that for the benefit of free software. Fuck your nvidya blob cancer.

>flying off shelves to the point that no one can buy it
>supply not meeting demand = perfect amount of money made
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 1515405625810.png (675x827, 35K)

Nothing, it works as intended.

It is retarded fanboys who felt for the "1080Ti" killer hype that are disappointed.

The same fanboys are going to throw a shitstorm when upcoming Nvidia GPUs are going to be a minor bump over their predecessors at the cost of higher energy consumption thrown at higher MSRP then before.

The days of expecting massive leaps in GPU performance have been over ever since Kepler/GCN 1.0.

Physics and economic realities have finally caught up.

Nvidia technically has been been evolving the same archtecture since Fermi. Volta is their first significant architecture change. It is unlikely the customer-tier versions all get any of the "improvements".

Maxwell's gimmick was title-based rendering which help it save massive amounts of memroy bandwidth. It is why Nvidia was able to use cheap and matured GDDR5 for so long on majority of their SKUs.

what when right you meant

Raja trying to sale "ati" to intel by making it shit Gpu
Mining happen

Pajeet get fired, amd make money

Raja did nothing wrong

The price, even with all it's faults it would still be good if Vega64 was 200~350 bux. Though why would they care if they still fly off the shelves because of miners and AMD fanboys.

The best part is that he is now running Intel's discrete graphics division.

>2020 launch guys, we pinky swears
Yeah, not with Kudori's track record.

they made a mining card.

>incomplete DSBR
Nope, it was completed and is functional on a profile basis. DSBR is only useful for deferred render contexts, which is why Vega is fucking awesome at professional visualization in productivity apps.

NGG/PS is unfinished though, which games will benefit more from than DSBR since at best they used mixed rendering

>It has 1080 performance. 1080 performance. The only thing out there that is faster is the 1080Ti. How the fuck does it not compete with nVidia? You fucking morans.

1080 die size: ~300mm^2
Vega die size: ~500mm^2

Vega likely costs 2x as much per die. It's totally uncompetitive purely from a business perspective. This isn't even taking into account power usage, OC headroom, etc.

500 including hbm or not?

Vega is supposedly actually ~480mm^2 for the die itself, not the HBMs, the underlying interposer, etc.

That said, it probably would have raped the 1080 completely if the discard engine was actually usable from existing DX/OGL/Vulkan software (as intended?) and not only proprietary extensions. As it stands, Vega has barely more geometry/tessellation throughput (6-6.5 GTri/s) than a 780 Ti, as shown here:
Fiji and Vega are also arguably a bit ROP starved as well, but not nearly as much as geometry choked.

>It has 1080 performance. 1080 performance. The only thing out there that is faster is the 1080Ti. How the fuck does it not compete with nVidia? You fucking morans.

custom Vega with better cooling (because Vega is again room heater like 290X) came 2 years after 1080. anyone who wanted 1080 power already had it.

Gcn is 7 years old has been getting worse and worse with each iteration because of shit support from devs drivers and basically everyone

This it was literally a workstation card rebranded

>normies buying majority intel/nvidia

Tip jij

lack of sufficent marketing art on the casing. i mean, you need monster claw marks and explosions to sell this shit right?

Everyting...

>1.5 years late
>big expendive size chip even without the hbm
>expensive hbmeme
>not very effecient even underclocked
>housefire
>poorly overclockable
>1080 performance
>overhype
>no real aib/costum

At least Fury X match with the 980ti but seriously Vega is a MESS

They supposedly pulled resources away from Vega for Navi R&D for the PS5.

That would explain why it felt half assed at least.

2/3rds of the team was sent off to work on Navi.

They made an architecture that heavily depended on fast memory and were shoehorned into using HBM2 which even today is still expensive as fuck and only used on enterprise level shit.
Then they also made it extremely power hungry and hot even though they should have learned something from the chinks at nvidia creating hoursefires a couple of gens ago.
Then they tried to get into the professinal market just rellying on openCL which is dead and since it doesn't have CUDA they had to rebrand their top dog into block-chain pioneers vega.
And finally they relied on miners to get sales even though no one should relly on them because they do not have any sort of brand loyalty hence why they also are buying nvidia cards now that the amd ones are out of stock.
And to put the last nail in the coffin miners are finally moving into ASIC miners (the etherium guys who were the biggest gpu buyers from amd).

Hopefully without the poo in loo raja AMD will fix their shit and go back to being both competitive in the high end and have a pretty good deal on the mid range without having to relly on retarded HBM2. memory during the biggest memory crisis the world has seen due to chink and gook cartels (aka micron, SK hynix and samsung)

interesting. i thought though that DSBR would be also very useful in games due to alleviating pressure from memory and keep scope within the L2 which could help vega performance (perhaps power consumption as well)

it is a shame about primitive shaders/ngg though. perhaps it will come to fruition nearing navi

Owner of a Fury X reporting in. The performance is either slightly better than or slightly below a 970, it depends on what you use it for. I like the card but getting the drivers installed for it was a fucking mess. With that said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of how much it cost and the only reason I have it is because I traded in my ded 970 for it @ microcenter.

Hbm2

Bandwidth isn't a problem for Vega and games. Overclocking the HBM by 20% showed like a 5% gain in reviews.

Fury X is not that bad but the 4GB limit was painful

>calling people brainlets
>bought a GTX 970
Fucking lmao, enjoy your 3.5GB piece of shit.

mining

the GPU is more than enough for 1440p

>i do hope for an AMD miracle on graphics as well
as an AMD fan I've been waiting for this since...Well since AMD bought ATI.

>is the fastest vram
>the most expensive one
>consumes less power than any other vram, hence why they had to put the most expensive vram on vega

what? its the best thing that ever happened to it

Attached: 1484855320324.png (927x720, 652K)

Not him but like you say, HBM is expensive
>low power draw
Not that much tho
anandtech.com/show/9969/jedec-publishes-hbm2-specification

KEK

Purchased a Vega 56 for £380 on day one. Flashed it to Vega 64 firmware. Tweaked it up. Competes with GTX 1080 and even beats it occasionally. Don't give a shit about benchmarks since it sits comfortably above 60 fps at 1440p most of the time anyhow (40-144Hz Freesync). Power usage is not an issues as I am not driving it all day long. Probably cost a few £ more per year if that. Plus I have the bonus of not sucking Jensens cock and shady business tactics.

Nothing, honestly.
Gayming just wasn't the target audience and support for gaymen was a tacked on after thought.

I bought my 1080 in 2016. All the people in that market segment had already made their purchase. When Vega finally came out, it was just a slightly worse product. 1080 is still a better choice because it runs cooler.

>Not using Vega to save on your heating bills
pleb

Do AMD graphics drivers still have that weird html5 full screen bug still?

Just wait for it, finewine tech only gets better same with the drivers.

Lisa diverted 2/3's of RTGs workforce into Navi, it was impossible for Raja to deliver with such miserable resources

That's literally impossible brtard

>Not that much tho

its less than gddr5/x

gamersnexus.net/guides/3032-vega-56-cost-of-hbm2-and-necessity-to-use-it

I kown but that not a big difference

Reminder nvidia is nothing without all the 3dfx engineers they sued to acquire and single handedly destroyed every other GPU manufacturer other than ATI. You can thank them for this gay duopoly.

100W is huge. The controller for GDDR5 would be significantly more power hungry

>amemed

>Competes with a mid ranged card
>Even 3 months after release it was impossible to find in stock or at msrp
Yeah AMD really won that battle.

>100W

citation

>100W
How??????

Attached: Screenshot_20180617-165114.jpg (1021x1163, 248K)

What bug?

Paid poojeet shills made every söœyboy think that Vega would be the new Titan. It turned out to be the new mid-range. Now they're in full damage control mode and they repost the same fake benchmarks everytime someone uses the word vega.

Lisa Su, the Chink CEO, the one everyone refers to as "mommy", thought it'd be a good idea to rush it with a small team of engineers.

And now AMD is done for when it comes to GPUs.

I remember Vega FE launch shitstorm

>no no no the benchs are not good cause its a pro card with pro driver, the rx vega will blow the titan xp lad!

no, there is a BIG difference, that's why it is used instead of GDDR5

That's because it is a overclocked fury x with hbm shoved on
Would have been better to put out big polaris.
Vega is trash there is no excuse
LOL my 390x was faster what the fuck went wrong with Gcn past Hawaii xt?

>AMD is done for when it comes to GPUs.
AMD holds 35.5% of the gpu market.

Desktop even less which is what op is on about
Vega was a decent workstation card but horrible for gaming
On the upside it was good for maths heavy shit making it a good miner card