/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: fedf06cb9d33016bc01e8dfeb7b9eeb5cc32be76.png (640x480, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/
dankpads.com
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7?
thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/
ebay.com/itm//172335417403
ebay.com/itm/192413581590
youtu.be/FMh8hbfk0Ik
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the smallest ThinkPad?

Look somewhere else

Attached: thinkpad.png (10x10, 208)

What about the x250? I don't want to get a used 220 because I hate scratches/dents and gunk in my computers.

Asking again because I need spoon fed
Budget is $800
I want the best thinkpad possible, I'm going to be doing 2d art and fighting/shooting/grand strategy games
Please help

You are buying it...right?

Attached: csm_7nw_Thinkpad_P52_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_Cover_copy_ac534dc0f4.png (1481x1200, 808K)

Who here /redpads/?

Feels good having a NMB keyboard.

Attached: 20180604_151311.jpg (512x512, 24K)

>I don't want to get a used 220 because I hate scratches/dents and gunk in my computers.
Eh, that's not always the case. I got a used x220 that was pretty much in perfect condition, although that was mostly my luck.

i must say it look like a great machine, if i had money to waste i'd take it

is size a concern?

Not at all
As long as it's still a laptop I'm golden

P50/W541/W540

you got answers last thread, you just didn't read it
W510/520/530

Sweet
I'll look into those ones then
Thank you

E480 and X240 on the way. If X240(200€ i5 4GB 500GB hdd) is in ok condition i will never buy new again.

>thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

I need to reinstall Windows 7 (Pro) on my T430. Can anyone point me to a .iso file I can download? I've checked the sticky and didn't find it.

>the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/

>dankpads.com
nice malware user, you built it ?

Daily reminder that anything newer than the t420 is shit

>greentexting the wrong site
kek
site owner claims that is an untouched mirror from MS' servers. I've had no issues on my windows installations.

What's the least botnet thinkpad?

>tfw upgraded to a t440p from a t420
i still prefer the x61t though

If you weren't such a retard you'd compare the checksums after downloading
fucking brainlets

lel yea it was in clipboard :D , i was just trolling for malware xD

>tfw i want to do this
how long did you use the T420 before upgrading?

Attached: 1521899661473.jpg (1014x993, 108K)

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7?

you can mod image than calculate checksum?!!???

posting from comfy x220t

Attached: Screenshot_2018061701.png (1366x768, 467K)

About one and a half years, even ran a pretty neat eGPU setup with it for a while (two actually, started with a 950 and ended up with a 1050ti).
Then i got bored of games and sold the entire thing, furthermore the abysmal stock screen made the laptop awful to use as a laptop (i couldn't buy the fhd adapter for the ips mod easily on aliexpress back then).

Attached: 2.jpg (480x281, 37K)

i'm gonna repaste my x230 and coreboot

Attached: IMG_0703.jpg (3024x1609, 383K)

that is one decked out T420 user.
what CPU does your T440p have? do you have an eGPU setup (if it's possible) for it as well?

I'm not sure why I want one so much when I don't do anything that would require that much power.

I can't afford it.

Attached: ubuntupape.jpg (3653x2400, 1.21M)

I've seen some auctions that state:
Very Important Notice!!

There is a known issue by Lenovo on the internet that by flashing / updating the BIOS using Lenovo's own update software on ANY T430 laptop can cause severe damage to the motherboard (system board). We advise you NOT to update or flash the BIOS as you WILL damage the system board causing the laptop to stop functioning. The outcome will be 5 beeps on start up then a blank screen. There is no way around this issue as of yet apart from replacing the system board itself.

If you decide to carry out this proceedure, we will NOT refund you. You will be doing this at your own risk and we strongly advise you not to do it. It has no impact on the operating of the laptop that you will see any benefits from. You have been warned!

Is this real, or have they fucked up the bios and are trying to blame Lenovo?

4800MQ, i got it for cheap.

>do you have an eGPU setup (if it's possible) for it as well?
Nah as i said earlier i don't care about games anymore and everything new is unappealing, i guess i'm becoming more of a bitter fuck every year.
I think you could do an eGPU setup with the NGFF slot but having to take out the backplate every time you want to use the eGPU will become annoying after a while and the T440p doesn't have an Expresscard slot like the one the T420 had.

Is that JP keyboard backlit?

Attached: 20180604_184819.gif (500x484, 950K)

I just bought a Lenovo laptop and the fucking thing won't turn on. Do I need the wait for it to fully charge or what?

Can someone confirm that the T530 and W530 have interchangeable motherboards? Want to give my T530 a Quadro K2000M dGPU and 32gb RAM, keeping the i7-3840qm already present.

Attached: 1.jpg (1280x1872, 736K)

yes. i dont like it because its quite smooth. non backlight keyboards have more texture

Attached: IMG_0438.jpg (4032x3024, 1.71M)

that's absolutely retarded
fucking brainlets

why lol

Hey /tpg/ I'm looking to upgrade work laptops. Looking to use it for general dev stuff like Python/C/SQL and some virtualization and network stuff. Would a T580 cover this pretty well? Budget doesnt matter

oi lads
i've run into a bit of a situation lately, i've been looking for decently priced x220t/230t but i couldn't find one, so i went looking for alternatives
i found the HP 2760p, which looks fuckin ugly compared to the brick™ look but otherwise pretty comparable to an x220t
so i'm asking if you know anything about the 2760p, does the keyboard compare to the thinkpad's, what about the durability and the wacom digitiser ?

Attached: file.png (3300x2805, 2.72M)

T580 more than covers it

Keyboard isnt as good, cant say anything about the digitiser. If you really want a good keyboard, try and find an X220t.

PC110, I think. Palmtop only sold in Japan.

OP can we also add this website to the sticky for EOL drivers?

thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/

It's a pretty basic site that doesn't have all of the flash and shit that bogs down legacy systems like on the Lenovo EOL site and I've set up my T61 a few times successfully with it.

It lists the models alphabetically and makes it super easy to look for your model and download drivers, instead of using a search engine

so uh, i dropped my x220 and the monitor hinge on the left side broke and i am guessing some wires got torn or something so now i have a completely black vertical line splitting my screen in two

what do?
buy another one or change the monitor

I assume people have Thinkcentres too here, Could i use a Low profile heatsink in a M92p or M93p or is it a proprietary heatsink like in dell computers?

That sounds like BS, I've updated/flashed my T430's BIOS multiple times to simply change the boot image to some meme.

Attached: pepe.gif (640x480, 11K)

also, the battery needs changing as well and it's pretty bruised overall

ALSO
is it possible that some water that entered the machine may have damaged other parts permanently?

in case it's not worth to get new parts

I bought a used but beat up X220 with i7 and SSD for super cheap, then replaced the bottom plate, palmrest, and top cover with genuine brand new parts for about $100. It is all brand new now.

W530 with the 1080p high gamut display. Make sure to get the quad core with 4 RAM slots.

I heard that they are.

Does anyone here know what a generic search term to find the type of battery that the t430 uses as a bios? For some reason, the previous owner of mine removed the battery and the price of $5 on ebay seems a bit steep to me. Alternatively, if you could tell me what connectors and battery cell I need to put one together, that could work too.

anything PowerPC

I looked it up, just looks like a CR2032 battery a two pin JST connector at the end. Searching on ebay for generic terms like "2032 laptop" or "cmos laptop" come up with some cheaper listings, just hope that connector is the same one. It looks like a regular JST connector, but I don't know if they changed them throughout the years.

Compare the pictures of these:
A cheaper generic: ebay.com/itm//172335417403

One specifically labeled for the T430: ebay.com/itm/192413581590

Looks like they are the same.

Alex Jones endorses ThinkPad. @7:27. What is the probability that Alex browses Jow Forums for technology news?

youtu.be/FMh8hbfk0Ik

Alex Jones already said he doesn't browse Jow Forums. He's mainly on Reddit if he ever decides he wants to interact with fans.
ThinkPads are used everywhere and there are plenty of people who don't like the apple alternative.

If I want a decent >1080p screen, I need to get either a T4x/T6x flexview, or a P series, correct?

But just about everyone in media uses apple, isn't it nice to know that Alex is different?

Among other things he is different in, yes; I like that he uses the redpilled device.

i wonder what kind of person unironically watches Alex Jones
probably just white suburban edgy soccer moms
>he tells it like it is !

Okay reddit, I'll bite.
I don't watch him but I follow what he says on his website every few weeks. I just happened to know specifically what that other guy was talking about.
And it isn't 2012 anymore, the soccer mom meme isn't applicable in the civilized world as of now.
And despite his ridiculous personality, he does happen to be right about a lot of stuff. Like the 9/11 declassification papers for example, if you want to be generic.

>watching a talk show

What's with the recent influx of people that think thinkpads are some kind of sekrit club?
Apart from them being literally THE business laptop of the past 25 years they have users from all kinds of backgrounds because they can be picked up from PC recyclers for next to nothing.

>he does happen to be right
ebin b8

Litterally summer, and it gets worse every year.
>Be highschool kid
>see memes with reddit influence
>see reddit "appropriating" (for lack of a better word) Jow Forums culture
>"whoa so epic(irony is funny), it's the hacker named Jow Forums"
>go on Jow Forums, see brick computer that I've never seen before because schools only buy macbooks and chromebooks
>everyone shills it
>WOW THIS IS SO GOOD I AM INCREDIBLY MORE PRODUCTIVE BECAUSE THIS KEYBOARD IS BETTER AND NOT MUCH ELSE
>watches anime and shitposts when school is out
and so goes the story of extremist sekrit club posts during the warmer months

luv (you) 2 bby ;)

What would be the cheapest used Thinkpad with a quad core CPU?

>inb4 just buy a T420/430 and replace the CPU

not really looking forward to play this lottery, i've read to many scary stories about failed upgrade attempts already.

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1528339143524.jpg (1280x1280, 680K)

Die, please

W520/W530

>schools only buy macbooks and chromebooks
Sounds expensive.
Schools here use ThinkPad and dell latitudes, and kids hate them.

grass is greener I guess
>t. California

Asking about this again

A T430 or X230 can be had for under that much but why not just sell your current laptop and get a high specced modern ThinkPad?

god fucking damn it, i hate how the x230 has 2 chips that need to be flashed. i read the first one in the first try but the second it just wont work

I don't go to school but have younger relatives who do and they all use Chromebooks.

I've had the aptop for years and it's pretty banged up from having to move and sometimes dropping it. I don't think it would really sell.

Where can I order genuine IBM trackpoint cleaning fluid?

I always imagined that Chromebooks are perfectly fine if you just get a 120+GB SD card to store data. I think they can use them.

T430 (or slim version if you are willing to part with some battery life)
X230 is great too. I prefer X models for carrying around.
They'll be more than good enough for like the next 5 years so you're covered.

Yeah I don't see any issues with it to be honest. It's just school work they're doing on them and I'm pretty sure they have them locked so that they cannot access any social media sites.

I was still in my senior year of HS when they started implementing Chromebooks a few years back.
It's a fancy word processor with a shitty keyboard, that's why no one likes them, they were basically only used for flash games during class anyway.
And don't forget to tape your microphone and webcam because they like to monitor you with GoGuardian or some other monitoring application. Look it up, there have been plenty of scandals in recent years about violation of privacy stuff. One was very recent coming from the school I used to go to.

My daughter left school a couple of years back, and I have younger nieces still in school and it was/is all thickbad/latitude/iPads. UK btw. Mostly the Dells, desu, they are popular with UK local authorities.

>x61
Fellow X61 user here. Comfiest laptop of all time.

No u

>T430 (or slim version if you are willing to part with some battery life)
How bad is this departure from battery life?

I'd love to, let's do it together

Do you just mean on infowars.com? or does he have a website just for his own opinions? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

Do it yourself.

Well a regular thinkpad battery usually has 9 cells.
I'm fairly certain that slim models have 6 cell batteries. So consider that.

One other thing you really should be aware of is that the screen on the T430 really isn't very good. Honestly, the T440 is much better, and is already more slim than the T430s. But the hunt is on if you're trying to find one in your price range.
Yeah just, infowars.com. But he does have a recent AMA on reddit. Try not to blow your brains out.

OK

What are the best options right now having a UHD IPS display?

And I'm guessing that the eBay is the best place to search for the thinkpads?

I'm looking to buy a replacement battery for my Thinkpad, what is the longest life available for a t420? 9-cell of any kind? Looking to buy something on ebay and be done with it

eBay is the worst place to buy ThinkPads, with prices on there being upto 2-3x higher than local recyclers, computer markets, or small ads (gumtree, Craigslist etc). If you don't have anything local then you have to put up with eBay prices.

If you're Tripcode I'd rather snuggle with you.

That's pretty funny because people in my area on craigslist think that their T61 is worth 150 dollars.

>protip: cross board posting makes you solve more captchas

dhgate com /product/saniter-apply-to-lenovo-t420-t430-screen/413870994.html

should i get this will it flicker on my t420

I'm looking for a ThinkPad with the best battery life. I'm going to be in school for 11 hours a day. What should I get? Cost is of no concern.

Also, is the t480 good or bad? It supposedly has 17 hour battery life.

Attached: Screenshot9520180519-225213.jpg (1439x1436, 135K)