I fucking hate web development

I fucking hate web development.

Attached: 1_XaGxIa_JuHc8YTR5Znv6tg.png (640x366, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.freecodecamp.org/a-real-world-comparison-of-front-end-frameworks-with-benchmarks-2018-update-e5760fb4a962
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

but react is good senpai... do you have something against pure functions?

Attached: Attach48971_20180220_132402.jpg (750x736, 60K)

try vue then?

I don't understand it.

I couldn't tell you how many times a week I get a call from recruiters asking me if I know React

>"Hi user it's Sarah from Bullshit Staffing LLC, was just calling to see if you had experience with React"
>"yeah I know javascript"
>"this client is looking for React"
>"It's just a library of javascript and I know javascript"
>"Yeah, sorry user, but they're looking for React, I don't think you'll be a good fit"

>not knowing how to lie

Hasn't life taught you anything?

actually you don't

"know react" implying you have to deal with trashes like redux or react router to do even simply stuffs.

I'm sure it's really complicated for someone who spends all day writing CSS, but I think I can figure it out

What's wrong with Redux?

>I can figure it out
lol sure.

Nothing.
It's great, just like react.

Brainlets just can't comprehend that some people build more static webpages with simple forms.

ever tried editing xml files for a java spring project?

using redux is as reluctance as that.

funny that being the most popular react state management, it doesn't even provide ajax resource management, so you have to use *yet* another package for that.

All those frameworks bring nothing to the table except limitations and dependence on the framework itself. Plus there is a risk that the devs quit maintaining the framework itself and then you're fucking stranded.

"Yes I know react"

that was tough user

pure components only display state - you give them some state, like what page a user is looking at or an array of friends objects, and the component renders that information without changing it. the only source of truth is in the root component, which passes callbacks to its children to update state. this way you avoid side effects and can very easily modularize your code

What if you want a component to make a callback to it's parent function? Like if you have a grid of buttons that have the same onClick function? You are supposed to pass the function as a prop correct? I spent lke 4 hours the other day trying to make a simple calculator and could not get it to wok.

It's part of the philosophy.
Being able to pick and choose the packages you like most is what's so good about it.

Ideally every package just does one thing and does it very well.

that's because you're using a meme framework like React

use jquery like an adult

try angular or vue, they have two-ways binding

>make a callback to it's parent function?

Don't.

Update the state and re-render.
(yes everything)
(no, it's not slow)

You have literally no idea how every single company in the entire world works, do you?

thats exactly right
something like

where 'this' is your parent class, likely root

in button component you might have something like onClick={handlePress(props.num)}

because that function is defined in the scope of root, you can freely update the state of your root component

jQueery is for fags.
Are you some sort of retarded gay dinosaur?

enjoy your meme render() and update() calls

I started a new job and they're all indians teaching me Java Full Stack, and I realize why Jow Forums hates Java and web dev so much: Jow Forums is full of brainlets. A computer scientist worth anything can fully see how amazing it is, and once you wrap your head around it, you can whip up an MVC in less than a day. An hour for an experienced dev.

But it requires a deep understand of OOP and design patterns to use effectively, something most of the brainlets on here can't understand.

Not him, but he brought up good points. Dependence on third-party tooling is a legitimate problem that will blow up for existing codebases in the coming years. Can you actually address these points, or is being edgy all you can do?

Java is a great language. Jow Forums hates it because it supports foreigners taking our jobs

>whip up an MVC in less than a day
i can't comment on the rest of your post, but surely any modern web framework would let you do this?

I guess everyone should stop using Java then. Who knows what Oracle would do with it in the next few years.

Ad populum.

Thanks but there is no point to address. If a major language like Python embarrassed itself with its skip from 2 to 3, only a fool would trust $JS_LIB_OF_THE_MONTH. It's a risk every time.

Attached: belly.jpg (768x384, 40K)

All your Python 2 programs work. They aren't going to take Python 2 from you. You can keep using it as much as you want.

It is slow, here’s a benchmark report comparing lots of front end framework performance, using a real world example not a simple todo app.
medium.freecodecamp.org/a-real-world-comparison-of-front-end-frameworks-with-benchmarks-2018-update-e5760fb4a962

Attached: image.jpg (750x589, 123K)

t. Meme developer

you rely on a framework for everything - that tells me you don't understand the underlying concepts

We're talking about security patches here. It's critical for web servers running on legacy code.

>They aren't going to take Python 2 from you
pic related

Attached: 1525614883614.jpg (399x400, 16K)

>trying to change a single pixel on a html 5 canvas to red
>in react

as much as i dislike oracle's pricing model, they are committed to supporting their paying customers who have contracts to back this support.
unlike facebook, who develop react under the guise of "open source" to avoid having to support backwards-compatibility with business's existing codebases, and AFAIK they don't enter into contracts with businesses for long-term support, even if the business is willing to pay for it.
also see google's shenanigans with angular 1.x and 2.x. that would never happen in a proper b2b friendly company like ibm and oracle

Apply the patches yourself.

I'm removing React from one of my major projects and so far it has only been a positive experience.

I'm pretty sure half the projects out there using a JS framework don't really need it.

>you can whip up an MVC in less than a day. An hour for an experienced dev
rails was popular thanks to a "create a blog in 5 minutes" video, back in 2005

the security patches simply won't exist for python 2 once support is dropped, unless some other group picks pledges to assign developers to maintaining python 2 in the future.

AngularJS still works. No one is saying you can't use it anymore. I agree that keeping the "Angular" name for newer versions was a mistake. They should have called it something completely different, but they wanted to keep the name for momentum.

You can backport them from Python 3. What's the other alternative? Use your own in-house solution, and having to both discover and fix security vulnerabilities yourself? How is that any better?

it's a pretty simple concept, any employed developer should be able to understand it along with MVP and other offshoots. design patterns aren't hard either. what's wrong with relying on a framework if you understand the concepts used under the hood?

I will, but only if you promise to take the blow for me because now I have to convince my boss why I chose a now dead language / library / tool to save cost and now have to rewrite EVERYTHING again or face the risk of security breaches. Hello GDPR.

>AngularJS still works. No one is saying you can't use it anymore
i agree in principle, but these modern frameworks are never finished software. even the old versions will always have bugs. if support is dropped, that means these old bugs would never be fixed.

in that case, companies would have to modify the angular code themselves to get around the problem. there's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but if the company has to dedicate developer time to figuring out the angular source code and making the fix, they might as well have started off with writing their own framework from scratch.

Ok, but you first have to justify to your boss why you need to hire a team of 100 people to write an internal framework and also another team of 20 people to maintain it.

in hindsight, the solution would have been to use something where the company wouldn't have the rug pulled out from below.

It amazes me how stubborn out-of-shape "software devs" refuse to learn Web Development and leave lots of money on the table.

I think they see the number of libraries you have to learn, get intimidated, then just say "It's shit so I'm not going to bother."

What rugged pulled from below? Python 3 was announced years in advanced. There are multitudes of automatic refactoring tools available. It only took me 1 week to migrate a 500k loc project to Python 3.

>react
>node
>anguilar

all of this are is fucking different

React is abstracted so far away from vanilla JS it's basically something completely different.

You're too lazy to spend the five days to learn it.

Everyone does, even when it's a personal project, unless you coding a crappy 1994 HTML website, making it look good, working on back-end and such web-dev is just shitty and time-consuming, but at least we have forums and websites now... What a fucking exchange..

I don't need any framework though.

i'm sure it's easy to switch over, but that's not what i'm talking about.

i'm saying the company should have chosen a platform that would entirely outlive the product they built.

In my opinion, the perfect framework would be one where the whole "we need to switch to version n+1 because otherwise we won't get security patches" discussion would never even happen, it would just be updated and improved year-after-year, being updated for new operating systems and platforms but never once breaking API.

I'm sure you don't for the fizzbuzz project that you spent the past 6 months working on.

Look how C++ and ECMAScript turned out. Hundreds of dumb behaviors, bloated and unused features, because of the need to maintain backwards compatibility.

>fizzbuzz project

Rude.

It's fucking retards like OP, how the fuck do you not understand react. Seriously how stupid do you have to be.

Seriously it just gives each components or "file" it's own lifecycle and state. Thats really it.

Also OP React is entry level shit.....wait till you have todo start doing 3d stuff.

I think for a lot of beginners, things HAVE to be monolithic or they fail to understand it. html has to be a single html file, css has to be a single css file, js a single js file.
With that mindset it's easy to miss exactly why React was created and what purpose it fulfills.

This. JQuery is superior to React.

tfw when built fully functional (and pretty complicated) site in jquery last week. whats the point of learning react. can someone redpill me?

lol...

> be Java developer
> skills always relevant
> most sought after language
> specialize in Spring Framework
> Spring Boot is actually very modern and actively developed
> Netflix strongly back Java, so much that companies say they use the "netflix stack"
> most solid library ecosystem of all languages
> yet also work on the bleeding edge with microservices, docker, devops, CI/CD...

You can use anything with docker and co/cd??

The thing that kills me the most about front end web dev is how fucking many standard deviations below the mean IQ it must take to actually enjoy it. Building interfaces, using one of the worst piece of shit languages ever designed with no difficult abstractions, fucking around with CSS and its variants, and calling APIs written by smarter people is humiliating. Imagine taking pride in being a brainlet. baka.

Is this the React hate-thread?

Good, I fucking hate this piece of shit. Why couldn't they just implemented FSMs? What kind of idiot tried to reinvent the wheel and made this this shit?

Javascript is full of wagecucks

Where my NEETs at

Attached: 1526953885815.png (300x300, 15K)

The concept of component based design is pearls before swine.
It's the divine gift given to web development scum by literal programmer GODS.
And see what they do with it

You don't know react

My biggest problem with react is building HTML (JSX..) within javascript. It feels unnatural and hacky. I much prefer Vue where the template is separate and marked up using attributes.

I don't see a bar for vanilla JS there.

Attached: u7a9qoeay4k01.jpg (735x539, 45K)

>pearls before swine
>given by programmer gods
>it's OOP but everything is stored in a tree

>"Yeah, i know react"
>"K user, come here [day]"
>Study react until [day]

is it that hard?

why? react isn't exactly a revolutionary concept and it's better than the other shitty concepts like Vue

I use knockout js because it works. You can look at my middle finger if you want.

>Ideally every package just does one thing and does it very well.
>5000KiBs of bundled bullshit later + spyware.js script tags intermixed.

>OOP
>versus lmao lets just put everything in one file
I don't think you understand just how bad things were before literal programmer GODS reached out from their ivory towers and left behind a single fingerprint on the surface of this corrupt industry

Attached: web developers.jpg (1400x1400, 241K)

Vue is miles above react.

Javascript is too simple and easy to understand. We need a bunch of libraries that extend Javascript so it behaves like a completely different language, and then people can use all of them together in the same project, at different layers in the web application stack, so it's like programming in 3 different languages at the same time but actually it's all Javascript.

DSLs are almost always a mistake

this. no one wants to learn your fucking autistic bullshit. I fucking hate "muh DSLs" mindset. it just results in some really wtf shit, like 1200 LOC perl bullshit and a lot of unreadable code generators.

FUCK DSLs

Literally fucking hate my job.

>The guy that refuses to use standard libraries and write his own version of bubble sort

well you can use angular, but you would just have the inverse problem

Elm is the most functional out of all of them but seems to perform pretty decently.

You can learn React well in less than a week if you know JS already. Same for other meme frameworks. Seriously, someone already mentioned web devs are the modern factory workers from the Industrial Revolution and it's quite true. The only difference is that the working conditions aren't as bad.

I fucking love DSLs

The problems come when some retard tries to make a new language instead of building on an existing one.

This is why you have great DSLs in Ruby and Haskell, but shit DSLs in Java and JavaScript.

How do I learn React from scratch?

maybe you should let your arrogance aside and go learn React and you will know it takes some 6 months until you master the whole environment

you don't know shit about React and most probably javascript too

Jquery has been deprecated with ecma6. It's performance is complete garbage and ecma6 can do anything jquery can do.

Java 10

It's not real work. It's not respectable work. It's not applicable work, and doesn't nurture the intellect (the fact that webdevs are proud of not having to know maths or lower-level CS knowledge is proof enough). "Web Development" is social media cancer and data mining - it offers nothing to society save for a momentary bubble that capitalism is currently taking advantage of.

maybe you should let your arrogance aside and go learn modern web development and you will know that it has become harder than many of the so called "intellectual" CS branches, but you won't since you're stubborn arrogant retard

They are both equally retarded on a conceptual level.

But Vue is easier to use, so it's better.

no, you can't.

I hate it too, but only when it comes to views
fuck html and fuck css even more, not wasting my life away on this garbage