/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 367115 feet headphones megane megaten persona persona_5 sakura_futaba.jpg (2894x3628, 1.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8m17bv/audio_myth_balanced_headphone_amplifiers_are/
presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Balanced-Unbalanced
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/6nla0a/incoherent_bullschiit_the_spurious_myth_of/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=headphones&utm_content=t1_e0ttepk
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 08BF03B7-356A-4023-BE94-7C4B460C93D1.jpg (2942x3366, 1.79M)

Attached: 1529117509005.png (741x1556, 358K)

Any good tips on a set of wireless/bluetooth headphones? I have a really bad track record with wires fraying.

RME is weaker than a magni 2, should be removed or out under the DACs section because it's headphone out is inoperable.

add the Questyle CMA400i

Cancerous misleading guide
Why the fuck?

Spend the extra $k and get the balanced version. Fukkin Rocks!

Attached: 20180525_212828.jpg (3024x4032, 446K)

>barely hits 3W
Worse than a magni 3. RME a shit, sorry.

I've listened to many and this is the best I've ever heard. Makes my dynamics sound like electrostatics!

Attached: 20180524_144710.jpg (3024x4032, 627K)

We get it, you have severe hearing loss.

Apologies! I didn't know you were an African-American gay guy. That makes your opinion twice as valid.

Attached: George.jpg (550x798, 31K)

what is your response when I say that you could win $10,000 if you passed a blind test between your RME and a fiio e10k?

>opinion
No it's a fact.

Anybody use the E10K with the HD6XX? I'm so cheap with this shit I don't want to spend any more on a DAC amp. HD6XX is my endgame btw.

>HD6XX is my endgame btw
until you hear stax for the first time

>HD6XX is my endgame btw.
you will always wonder how good stax really is

Between balanced and unbalanced? You're on! Unbalanced only would be tough tho, EVERYTHING is pretty good nowadays. Look, we live in Good Times for audio. I don't buy foolishly, but I can afford to try stuff, and if the RME wasn't so good I'd still be trying stuff.

Attached: Police 911.jpg (960x640, 101K)

here you go:

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/
>Richard Clark says over a couple thousand people have taken the test, and nobody has passed

Whatever you say Tyrone.

Attached: Tyrone.jpg (620x310, 29K)

>lol ur a nig
This is actually sad

post your setup

Are there any good Bluetooth earphones that don't have a dumb connecting wire and that aren't EarPods?

Interesting. But! This RME, literally, makes my ears happy in a way that nothing else has. Sure it's psychological, but I've spent ~$50k getting to this pinnacle. It even makes my Stax sound better! Just tryin to share and maybe brag a little. People don't ride $30k harelys because they're good on gas...

Attached: IMG_0088.jpg (2608x3312, 296K)

>Sure it's psychological, but I've spent ~$50k getting to this pinnacle

Attached: 1527248925247.jpg (640x628, 55K)

I see all this back and forth about balanced vs unbalanced. Is there anything that I can read about how all of this works and if it's just another kind of snake oil?

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8m17bv/audio_myth_balanced_headphone_amplifiers_are/

presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Balanced-Unbalanced

lol reddit

>criticizing the source and not the content

Now that's what I call intellectually dishonest

you have to go back

its another kind of snake oil

Cleaner power with better dynamic range (proven) and better channel separation (proven). Basically it's like bridging a stereo amp to do mono - you get 4 amplifiers to split the load instead of one (+-, ++, --, -+). Sure, it COULD introduce more noise and distortion, but modern electronics are so quiet it's buried in the noise floor already. Plus you only have to turn it up half as loud. Curls my toes. Bought this adaptor to make my balanced phones unbalanced, and I hear a significant difference, FYI.

Attached: 20180616_185350.jpg (4032x3024, 424K)

I wish I had the meme image of an user laying out how the majority of posters on Jow Forums are no better than NPC characters and instead of replying with thought provoking posts they just regurgitate low effort posts and non arguments

oh wait I actually do, nevermind :)

Attached: 1472167824195.png (912x869, 128K)

Seriously, go back

Oh, PS - Stax are balanced from input to earspeakers. Coincidence?

Attached: 20180425_212109.jpg (4032x3024, 713K)

Do you even understand why you give the rote responses that you do?

Redditors report in

Wow surprised you didn’t post more links to others thoughts.

the entire thread, and the whole board

that's literally everyone on Jow Forums these days

floor user.

Why does /hpg/ hates schiit so much? Are their products that shit? (no pun intended).

Attached: magni-3-front-1920.jpg (1920x1343, 97K)

yes

Thread reminder to never buy Schiit products.

head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Attached: schiit.png (1846x1479, 355K)

nah trust me schiit is great, tee hee

Give yourself two weeks, goy; Give yourself time to adjust

What do you guys recommend instead? Is "the element" from jds good?

o2, aune x1s

typo, aune x7s

add this one:
reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/6nla0a/incoherent_bullschiit_the_spurious_myth_of/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=headphones&utm_content=t1_e0ttepk

an oldie but a classic

>Tascam TH-02
How comfortable are they really?
I use headphones for hours straight (5+), so details are very appreciated.
I also use glasses, if that's of any relevance.

Is there anything else that would make me regret from buying these headphones? And yes, I really am on a low budget.

takstar pro 82

at that price range get the Koss KPH30ik

That one is 4 and a half times more expensive than the Tascam. Doesn't seem like much of an improvement either.

audio as a field is filled with lies and misinformation

tascams have shitty build quality and break often, they also are uncomfortable as shit. you pay what you get for I guess

DELET THIS, BUY MULTIMEME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1492586951309.jpg (680x680, 26K)

>audio as a field is filled with lies and misinformation
yes. see for a good example of misinformation

Of course you're going to hear a difference, you'd have to level match exactly. Human brains are dumb and perceive even slight increases in volume as better quality sound.

It's pretty well documented that balanced is only worth it for long runs of cable, especially interconnects. Complete waste of money for headphones.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1520612796401.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

those look uncomfortable as fuck

>shitty build quality and break often
I can get behind that.

>they also are uncomfortable as shit
How exactly?

>HD600

Attached: 1528765740682.jpg (385x383, 30K)

>It's pretty well documented that balanced is only worth it for long runs of cable, especially interconnects.
only interconnects

>those look uncomfortable as fuck
they're not, especially if you wear glasses, KSC75 are better but don't do well with glasses

Are the HD660S a meme? Should I just buy the HD600?

Attached: 1483244290006.jpg (553x746, 72K)

>Are the HD660S a meme?
overpriced like every sennheiser product
>Should I just buy the HD600?
sure

They're driver matched and considered to be superior from people who've actually compared both

>They're driver matched and considered to be superior from people who've actually compared both
and close to the price range of stax which makes them a shit buy

So buy Stax. Otherwise, save money and purchase the 660 S :^)

you mean buy the hd600 because the hd660S is too close to stax price wise to be a good purchase

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

Or buy the 660 S if you want to consider saving cash and purchase Stax if you don't. What are you, poor? Stax is still the more expensive option, is it not?

>Stax is still the more expensive option, is it not?
not when you factor in that everyone, and I mean everyone, ends up buying amps for their headphones if they have spent any appreciable amount of money on them (>$200)

>Everyone
Are you assuming, user? Did user also ask for an amplifier?

everyone does, yes. you can also buy used stax for the same price as the hd660S

Then buy a used pair of 660 S', user. user also isn't asking for an amplifier, so those are out of the question, clearly

it's a shitty buy either way you look at it, user. at the end of the day it's shit for the price compared to the hd600 or stax, even hd660S owners admit this.

>Pulls the "They're shit for the price" card
Which goes back to and What are you, a poor child? user didn't ask about Stax either, dum dum :^)

if you can afford the hd660S you can afford bumping up the budget slightly to get stax.
>What are you, a poor child?
want to talk smack? how about you stop getting so offended I shit on your precious headphones that you bought used for $250 and have no prior experience with any other headphones. get your head out of your ass. you can't even afford stax, and if I got the hd660 for as cheap as you I'd immediately sell them to buy stax with

Simmer down, user, no need to get hasty. user asked about the 660 S, not Stax. You seem have been assuming a lot to further your argument

And thus, go for Stax. Otherwise go save some money and purchase some 660 S'

>Simmer down, user, no need to get hasty.
talk shit get hit
>You seem have been assuming a lot to further your argument
the lcd-3 user said they weren't worth their price and not worth it over the hd600. that leaves vidas and the user who got them for $250. you are one of the two, or maybe they are the same person.
>Otherwise go save some money and purchase some 660 S'
b-stock lcd-2 is the same price as an hd660S

I want to lick her feet!

Hey, different people different needs, no? If user wanted the overall superior headphones, then purchase the 660 S. But if user feels like the 660 S isn't worth it, than user may as well purchase the HD 600 or even the much cheaper HD 6XX. Heck, what user should do is purchase the 660 S and if needed, return it if the price to performance isn't to his liking
>Recommending b-stock
Lol

>Recommending b-stock
all audezes are b-stock
>Hey, different people different needs, no? If user wanted the overall superior headphones, then purchase the 660 S. But if user feels like the 660 S isn't worth it, than user may as well purchase the HD 600 or even the much cheaper HD 6XX. Heck, what user should do is purchase the 660 S and if needed, return it if the price to performance isn't to his liking
that's a more reasonable reply than your bullshit garbage original recommendation and your withholding of details/context that is extremely relevant and you should be embarrassed that it has taken us this long for you to even elaborate that far

Kek. Got to there before you, user ;)

is the x1s also good? what DAC would you recommend with the x7s?

no, the dac/amp aune combo doesn't have nearly the same power. topping d10 but don't buy a dac because they don't do anything

wtf is the NFB-11, isn't that very old?

I've been using an NFB-12 for 5 years with my T1, great dac.

How big of an upgrade is going from a pair of superlux 668 to the Fidelios x2 for movies and vidya? Not multiplayer shit
Im not an audiophile at all i just want a nice pair of headphones and im wondering if the upgrade is worth it

Sir, I'm not arguing economy, I'm just telling you What I Perceive - And I like It!

Attached: 20180524_212900.jpg (4032x3024, 365K)

Don't pay attention to the poorfags on /hpg/, schiit makes the best audiophile grade amps and dacs right now, proud owner of yggdrasil and ragnarok, no regrets.

This. The majority of them are massive poorfags looking to make a quick buck.

thanks for the laugh

Schiit makes great products, like for example the Magni 3 which outclasses devices 2000% its price like the RME ADI-2 pro.

This amplifier challenge is kind of interesting, but "amplifier requirements" part pretty much destroys purpose of this test. That's like saying "both amps are pretty much the same as long they are pretty much the same". But not every piece of gear is properly designed and built. That's why people buy amps and don't use on board audio for example.