What's the best date format to use on computers?

What's the best date format to use on computers?

Attached: date-formats.png (800x320, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

3rd is best for chronological journaling.

Unix time.

Year-month-day

japanese

a signed 32 bit integer measured as seconds

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

17 JUN 18

>32-bit

Japanese, because it can't be misinterpreted as another format.

I use japanese to organize my files. In professional writing I use european. I am american.

japanese is the best both for being basically the same as the number format and for having it be day after month so I can BTFO euroducks

For computers? Japanese logic
For everyday? European/Australian

Americans are retarded once again.

I'm European and I've never used dots to separate the units. Either DD-MM-YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

NIST FIPS Pub 4-2 for our murican friends.
Also available as ANSI standard.

GNU/Unix time, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU+Unix time

>ISO 8601
>Japanese Logic

YYYY-MM-DD sorts lexicographically, so japs did it right.

That's also why ISO8601 dates are that way round.

I'm European as well and I hardly ever use anything but dots to separate the units. Must be variations from country to country in how these are taught in school.
Thinking about, I think with the dots convention there must have been the added reasoning behind it that the day and month numbers are ordinal numbers - Nth day of the Nth month of year XXXX.

Why do people use commas for decimals?

That is, in countries that denote ordinal numbers by putting a dot after them, of course.

Jap > burger > (power gap) > europoor

Jap > Euro >>>>>>>>>> Shit >>>>>>>>> American

Why do people use periods for decimals?

Shit gets funny when the comma peoples use periods for separating thousands, and period peoples use commas. Spaces for separating thousands should be a standard.

japanese for organization most likely, unless everything is under a year old and the year is irrelevant, then european. American makes sense for everyday speech though, when you tell someone the date that's how you say it.

Is there a reason why the pyramid on the left goes day > month > year. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be Month > Day > Year, least amount to largest amount 12 > 28-31 > 20XX

I guess because here I never see dots. Neither in school nor official documents, its always dash or slash.

only 12 months (shortest)
usually 30-31 days (middle)
Infinite Years (largest)

makes sense to me.

4th of July

ya days last much longer than months it makes complete sense

no, but there are more days than months.

Thats literally the one exception. When someone asks the date you say
>its june 17th
not
>the 17th of june

Started writing my dates the third way years ago and haven't changed since. It's most efficient.

ISO 8601

so the column that you change the most when writing dates in a sequence (ie, a logbook or ledger) is the one in the middle? That makes absolutely no sense from a logic perspective

third one honestly

anything other than the one on the right is fucking stupid

the one on the left is just as retarded as the middle

kys

how is european good at all? it isnt

what about just writing your dates like
>sep 19/18

This is how I always do it when I have to sign and date stuff for work, so there's absolutely no chance of misinterpretation.

randomized order

youre joking, right. if youre not retarded, like legally retarded, you would realize that can be interpreted 2 different ways

i do it similar but i do day year month, except the month i just put a letter or 2

6,9,ju

Except nobody ever interprets it as "september 18th 2019", if you do you're probably the one who's retarded

japanese for files and other technical stuff, DD Month YYYY for writing (unless the writing style calls for a different format, APA and Chicago both use Month DD, YYYY for example.

i just do the year followed by the nth day

so christmas this year will be 18/359

no possible way to misinterpret

sure buddy. your way is easily amongst the most retarded ways to do it. i feel bad for anyoone who has to deal with you regularly

Month, Year, Day
for example 6, 2018, 6

Right is best for sorting. YYYY.MM.DD.24.MM.SS.MSMSMS is GOAT, though you can use whatever separator you want. Middle works for short handing speech, but is too easy to confuse with left, which has no fucking purpose at all. Left I guess it sounds flowery, but I'm not in writing class anymore so it can fuck right off.

Attached: 1515397614297.png (123x106, 19K)

>implying any one of those formats is any good for historical dates
we should probably just handles dates in the same way we handles postal addresses
just use a text field

If you don't use YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, you're an imbecile, it's as simple as.

Attached: units.png (1300x1250, 256K)

Only barbarians do this

Why not use hyphens like they do on credit cards?

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS etc. Always most significant left.

This is the right answer tho:

Except every single legal office, law firm, courthouse, etc date stamps every single filing, subpoena, agreement, contract, etc, etc in this way. But ya, lawyers are retarded and you're so smart

Attached: file-stamp.jpg (276x182, 7K)

I'm also in Europe and I've seen dash, slash, and dots all used to separate units.
>is there a reason why the pyramid on the left isn't exactly the same as the pyramid in the middle
What?
>the 17th of june
Is how anyone without a learning disability would say it.

Short (numeric): YYYY-MM-DD, though I sometimes leave out the hyphens for things like filenames.

Long: When writing: June 17, 2018. When speaking: June 17th, 2018 (twenty eighteen). "2018 June 17" or "2018 6 17" would just sound weird said out loud.

>Is how anyone without a learning disability would say it.
you dont go outside much do you?

I'm German we exclusively use dots to separate the units in dates.
Anything else would look foreign to us.

So, I assume the picture was made by a German.

Why is European format bad tho?
American format only works with English, whereas this one works with any other language
>What day is the 200th of the year again?

I'm the technical manager for a golf course chain, which, sadly, entails spending around a third of every day outdoors.

>t. pic related

Attached: ain_man_3.jpg (772x420, 71K)

>signed
because we can have negative time, right?

>Except nobody ever interprets it as "september 18th 2019"
wut

I think we should get rid of months altogether and start counting by weeks.
We already do that with pregnancies, so it's not like it's a new idea or concept.
So 2018-26-5 should be the fifth day in the 26th week in 2018.

Unfortunately, this has the issue that some countries consider Monday the first day of the week, while other countries consider Sunday the first day.

So i propose replacing the weekday-number with a monthday-number.

that means, the number shows which day of the month it is

2018-52-25 is thus christmas in 2018

>implying lawyers arent retarded
you are hilarious

what the fuck does language have to do with anything you dumb fuck? this is NUMBERS holy fuck

So time should totally be formatted as MS.S:MM:HH DD:MM:YYYY right?
Because the milliseconds change the most often

I just think every January 1st should be Sunday

That's an interesting graphic, though the Japanese absolutely do not use Kelvin to measure temperature in daily life, they use Celsius. Also there's nothing arbitrary about using the the freezing and boiling points of water as reference points to measure the temperature in daily life.

nobody cares about milli seconds nerd, you can't even perceive them with the naked eye.
and HH:MM:SS makes sense, because SS changes so often, by the time you're finished writing SS:MM:HH the SS value already changed

I'm a burger and I use jap because it's objectively the best. Euro and burger dates are equally shit. I sure love hitting sory and seeing 1/1/1990, 1/1/1991.... 1/1/2018; 1/2/1990....

Kek

Binary.
For humans
YYYY-MM-DD

Show me an example of a date in binary

japanese. great for sorting. both by filename and by date at the same time

>arithmetic using unix timestamps can results in negative numbers
you will now close this thread out of embarrassement

>his computer is so slow that it takes 1000ms worth of cycles to compute a string format for a date

This is probably the most common

YEAR-MONTH-DATE is the ISO standard Its also how Unit Time formats too. By year-month-date

Why the fuck haven't we switched to Julian Epoch yet?? What's harder: 5/6/2018 10:32:13.3 (AM)
Or: 2458274.939043
The proof is in the pudding

Not really? It's just supposed to store the date, not do arithmetic with it.
>hurr it's June 17th, 2018. let's divide that by 45 and subtract 2000 from it for no reason

You guys realize that since the day is the shortest that it's checked the most and since the eye is drawn to the center of any object first that means having the part that's checked the most in the center is far more efficient that having it on either the left or the right. It's the same reason we have our weekday in the center.

This.
I get so sick of retarded normies using US date format because when I use the superior European format they don’t know which it is. I had to switch to 10 July 2018 for example to differentiate because it’s so backasswards.

The US military uses 20180710 as the date format which is the Japanese model in OP’s post so... Japan wins again.

The US military also uses European 24 hour clock.
America loses again

Now everyone say the date.

It's June 17th, 2018.

America wins again.

>>the 17th of june
>Is how anyone without a learning disability would say it.

You say the month first if you aren't autistic

>he doesn't say 17th June two oh eighteen out loud

holy shit the europeon nationalists in this thread are braindead
at no time is your formatting correct, it is the most incorrect because it has the most positions out of place with real standards

>it has the most positions out of place with real standards
not european standards

>monopoly money has value in monopoly
lol okay, dear

>hey mark, what time is it?
>half 7 mate
>ah, 30:19

omission of a qualifier does not make product unqualified

American Logic is sorting the date segments by how high the numbers can potentially go, in ascending order of size.
The first segment (month) can only go up to 12, the smallest number, so it goes first. The second segment (day) could reach up to 31, so it comes next. The final placeholder (year) is infinite, so it comes last.

It's not "logic," it's logic. Makes perfect sense.

Attached: 1431660127168.jpg (125x125, 2K)

What are you talking about? We invented money, economies, the English language, standards, Christianity, the Georgian calendar, dates, time, and the universe, and basically fuck you

aren't the eurpeans sorting by the size of the unit of time but americans are sorting by the size of the number?

By your logic, we should read the time like this:

Month/Hour/Day/Minute/Second/Year

e.g. 12/12/31/59/59/2018

without context, i would intepret that as "september 19 or september 18"

It's permitted by the SI Brochure.

The SI Brochure allows both the comma and the dot on the line to be used as a decimal indicator. It also specifies the space as a thousands separator.

>how is european good at all? it isnt
It can be truncated and remain both consistent and useful on a day to day basis.

You're the dumb fuck here. English speaking people say June 18th.