/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your questions here.

Please first check the Jow Forums wiki for related keywords, and/or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.neocities.org/
startpage.com/
ddg.gg/lite

Jow Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/
Jow Forums sticky: →

Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with Previous thread:

Attached: 1507328693021.png (645x729, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.alphacoders.com/
tenforums.com/tutorials/36827-change-bitlocker-encryption-method-cipher-strength-windows-10-a.html
proxybay.bz/
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24118/how-to-download-bootcamp-drivers-without-bootcamp-assistant
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how get good at opengl?
who use opengl?

How do I find wallpapers for my >phone?
I'm looking for a few specific papes, but no clue what are some good sites for it.

Is it possible to set a PNG image as always-on-top when any program is running, whether it's full screen or windowed?

I'm playing some strategy game in bluestacks but since the resolution is vertical letterbox (the game doesn't provide horizontal resolution), there're black boxes on left and right, I can play fine in full screen but it really hurts my eyes after a couple hours (when I woke up the next day I couldn't stop crying for a hour) and also my screen is starting to ghost, I can see the brighter box in the middle when it goes black, it's an old screen and I really want to avoid any more permanent damage.

What I want to do is simply make a colored PNG with empty space in the middle, a space as big as the game window, and force is as an overlay always-on-top so I don't see the black boxes and my eyes don't hurt.

I don't mind if I need to install some program to do this, as long as the end result is what I need it to be.

Attached: 1481188838622.jpg (268x249, 33K)

Qbittorrent hasnt been a problem for me until last week when I was getting these pop ups. What other torrent client can use besides this one?

Not sure if im using this thing right, but its not showing anything for the drive thats giving me problems. Just says stauts unkown for the E: drive. C: and H: drives its saying ok.

Attached: 6464646564.png (849x651, 97K)

Transmission or uT 2.2.1 version.

Can someone recommend me a good site to learn about overclocking?

Attached: 1496862021211.png (404x404, 118K)

>Status Unknown
That HDD is kill, you might want to start backing up the stuff on it.
A recommendation for the future, don't buy Seagate HDDs.

i mostly use mobile.alphacoders.com/ and >>/wg/mobile

How do I make certain words highlighted on Jow Forums X such as clover?

And is it possible to make these highlighted words(threads) show first?

xxx

Attached: screenshot (1).png (1280x800, 280K)

Is there a good website to just watch stramed TV shows for free?

I keep trying to find one to watch The Office on, but the ones I see are littered to death with pop-ups and redirections on every click that bypass all my blockers.

I'll give those a try. Thanks.

So western digital only then? Should I just stick with the 2TB ones and not bother with the 3 and 4 TB ones?

HGST makes good HDDs too, 2TB and 4TB.
3TBs HDDs usually have problems in the long run, doesn't matter what brand.

Got a link to one of there HDDs?

Hello, I am quite retarded. I bought an iPhone 8+ today. What app do I use to browse Jow Forums? Looks like there's no Clover for iOS

>status unknown
>5400 rpm
start backing up ASAP.

CTRL + G

smd

Just buy a WD Blue 2TB or 4TB, i assume you use it as a storage drive so there is no problem.

What's a good cheap wireless mouse? A mouse that is good to decent enough for gaming.
By cheap I mean something under $30, preferably in the $15-$25 range. Or if something decent but cheaper exist then sure.

Can i change the bitchlocker encryption strenth via group policy with effect when i already encrypted my entire c: drive?

I found this on the webz:
tenforums.com/tutorials/36827-change-bitlocker-encryption-method-cipher-strength-windows-10-a.html

Attached: bitlocker.jpg (720x379, 25K)

Alright, I'll get one of those. Thanks.

What does ITT mean?

in this thread

Thank you!
Now makes sense when I read "ITT" threads.

Attached: im in.jpg (474x433, 85K)

>downloading a playlist of videos with youtube-dl and ffmpeg
>whenever youtube-dl calls ffmpeg to combine the downloaded video and audio files, CPU usage jumps to 100% and CPU temperature jumps to 70 degrees
Is there a simple way to fix this, or do I have to recompile youtube-dl so that it calls ffmpeg with "-threads 1"?

(Or is this not enough of a problem for me to worry about? My CPU's maximum recommended temperature is 61 degrees.)

What's the real difference between a programming language and a "markup language" like HTML?

One gets compiled or interpreted one gets rendered.

Oh, that makes sense. I should have thought of that.

Welp I just cucked myself by using zeemaps. Turns out that after your map is viewed 100 times it gets locked and you have to pay them to even see it.

I need a map program where I can
>access it on both my phone and computer
>app or website doesn't matter
>set passwords so only certain people can see the map
>let other people add different makers, and add information to the markers
>free, or a one time payment only if the service is good enough

I have Windows 8 installed on my HDD
I have a USB drive with Xubuntu on it.
If I run a live session using the USB drive with Xubuntu on it, and format several other USB drives (which may or may not be ridden with malware) from within Xubuntu, is it possible for my Windows installation to get fucked by said malware?
I'm sorry, I know I'm wording this poorly, I'm not sure if the question makes sense.

Have an ancient DVD writer here that I haven't used for generations now. It reads DVDs fine, but doesn't do dick for CDs. What might cause this?

Attached: GSA-H21N.png (300x300, 67K)

how do I overclock my Ryzen 7 1700 processor? What things do I need to change in my motherboard BIOS to get a simple 3,8GHz overclock?

I don't want to push to the limit (4GHz). Do i just set the frequency to 3800MHz? Do I need to change any voltage or stuff?

I have Asus Prime B350 Plus mainboard thanks

Attached: Lisa Su.jpg (757x627, 109K)

A cheap wireless mouse is going to suck for gaming jfyi

Are there any legal issues i should be aware of before starting a website like Jow Forums?

I'm watching animu/movies/series[spoiler]/twitch[/spoiler] with Kodi. Its screenshot tool is abyssmal, it takes screenshots of its render window and saves them in bloatest png with like 5MB for 1080p. Is there any app for windows that will sit in tray, watch folder for new images and will save that images in different folder in optimized jpg?

Set multiplier to 38, set vcore to 1.2. If it boot in windows, run Prime95 im smallftt for some time. If it crash, reboot into bios, bump vcore by 0.0125 and repeat until it'll be stable in prime95 for at least hour. Hour doesn't mean that it's completely stable, but it means that normal usage not going to crash it ever.

Can you explain super seeding in simple words please?
I'm trying to understand if/when should I use it

How do I add more workspaces to i3wm? I only have the one it comes with.

It means it tries to give different peers different chunks so they had started to get those chunks from another peers instead of original seeder. Like imagine you have torrent with 4 chunks and 4 peers. In normal mode you could give 1st chunk to all of them, while in super-seed it tries to give 1st chunk to 1st peer, 2nd to 2nd and so on.

I know that but I already have a wired mouse. I just want the cheap wireless one (under $30) so I can take it with me and use for my laptop.

Do you mean to add more beyond what is pre-assigned in i3config?

It has 10, but it doesn't show them if you have no windows on them.

Yeah, I would like to have more than 10.

Is there a way to find games' EULA without having it? I want to make Libre version of my old favorite gaem so I would love to know how much can I "steal" from binary and stuff.

Just distribute binaries and use original game archives that users should prvide by themselves.

What's some file upload website alternatives to Dropbox/Mega? Need to upload a 150 MB zip that will persist for a bit.

Just add them in i3config with the keyboard combination you want. So if the default for workspace 2 is bindsym $mod+2 workspace 2 add bindsym $mod+q workspace 11 for example.

i think you have issues mate, in either your eyes or brain.

Seems cool, but a little bit inconvenient :/

Thank you.

just pirate them properly
proxybay.bz/

I would look into why your cpu isn't downclocking itself, and considering better cooling/a repaste. Only after that would i gimp my software.

Anyone good with EQ settings? I've never bothered to look into it, but as I'm going to start to stream some action movies, I'd love to know what settings I should have to get the best experience

Attached: EQ settings.png (597x289, 77K)

Lots of game remakes do this, one example is d1x a descent remake. They do it pretty well, like, prompt the user to insert the original game disc (or eg locate it on hdd) and your setup takes care of copying everything where it needs to go.

Why isn't it working ?

I'm trying to mass insert into a MySql base on Phpmyadmin but I can't find the correct syntax

Attached: Error mysql.png (727x231, 19K)

How to stop doing nothing? tried cawfee, changing my setup, changing my chairs, fap, nofap, going outside for like 2 hours and this goes on for about a two months now, I just can't get my stuff done ;_;

Why does it take 2 fucking minutes for Youtube to show me 1080p? They changed something in the last few months and nobody is talking about it. My internet etc is fine. Fuck Youtube, fuck corporations, fuck Jews.

1080p is a meme, use 720p

>1080p is a meme, use 720p
>720p is a meme, use 480p
Not even joking

Attached: article-2718400-1A6FF7F200000578-417_306x423.jpg (306x423, 19K)

In fact, yes, It looks fine enough to please the eye and lightweight as fuck on GPU

>It looks fine enough to please the eye and lightweight as fuck on GPU
It looks fine on my big screen tv aswell.

480p is a meme, use 240p

240p is a meme, use 144p

pls recommend me a good 144hz monitor friendos

Attached: 1502142447995.jpg (346x367, 36K)

>144hz monitor friendos
As you can see you only need a 144p monitor my friend
>240p is a meme, use 144p

Do you understand that ; causes to execute command? Nad you basicaly executing malformed commands because of it.

>don't watch Jurassic Park, read the book

Will Tor hide my torrents from my ISP?

*if not, how can I?

Is using the expression "pissed off" considered rude/vulgar?

No, it's commonplace. Maybe not the phrase to use in front of your boss, depending on where you work, but it's a common expression most don't mind.

Depends on the context. Used casually with coworkers or friends I think its fine. However, in a professional setting such as talking with your boss, or with your family it may be awkward.

are curved monitors just a meme

>implying
It really is a meme, just like flac

I read online that you can store an infinite amount of data if you just convert the binary value of the data into a decimal number between 0 and 1, then take an object of known length and cut it off at exactly the point that would correspond to that decimal of its total length. How come this method isn't used more often in practical things? Would be pretty cool to be able to store petabytes of data in just an inert wooden stick anytime you want.

it might depend on where you live, at the very least it's extremely informal, so shouldn't be used in professional environments
among familiar people, it's usually fine, but it can be taken as vulgarity, nobody's going to call you out on it alone.

shut up nerd

I don't think it's really suited to torrenting. Even if you get it set up properly it'll be horribly slow.

Just get a VPN if you're that worried, though honestly if you happen to live somewhere that torrenting can actually get you into legitimate trouble I'd recommend you just don't. It's not worth it and there are plenty of easier ways to get content for relatively cheap and legally nowadays, assuming you're not living somewhere that gets buttfucked on exchange rates or something. (And as far as I know those don't tend to be places that come down hard on torrenters.)

>nobody's going to call you out on it alone.
publically* i should say
professionally, they might, depends on who you're talking to, and how it's used

Would a free VPN such as Opera's work?

How do I get apples windows 10 drivers on a MacBook without a Macos partition?
I wiped my entire ssd and installed Windows but I can't get Bluetooth working, apparently I was supposed to use bootcamp on Macos to get the drivers but I don't have that anymore.

rip
bootcamp worked fine for me

This Question doesn't need a thread
What are some good earbuds that won't break and stop working after a few months?

Attached: 1527526289563.jpg (2048x1536, 335K)

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24118/how-to-download-bootcamp-drivers-without-bootcamp-assistant

I removed the ; but it bug around "START TRANSACTION"

Begin is start transaction

im taking this compulsory app programing class but its retarded because they expect us to know JavaScript before the semester starts, whats the best way to learn java-script in a few weeks if I only have a few hours a day to spend of it?

Attached: myweiner.jpg (850x1275, 166K)

If the class wants you to learn JavaScript then its a stupid class

My eyes aren't perfect, I did suffera bit of retinal detachment a while back but I can tell what's causing pain when I feel it, because I did have past problems like this. Anyways, I found a somewhat temporary solution, it sucks there is a popup every 30 seconds but Overlay2 just works for this, have been playing for ova hour already and no pain.

Attached: over.jpg (1920x1080, 1.16M)

Do you have any programming experience? JS as it is could be learned in a day since it has poor standard lbrary and really simlified syntax. There is literally nothing to learn besides operators and basic classes like Object, Array, Math, Date.

I know but I still have to take it to finish my course so would the W3schools course provide a decent understanding? or is there something that Jow Forums would especially recommend?
No ive only ever learned HTML and CSS

Pretty sure those shitters wants to teach them React Native since it's app programming class and they want JS from poor bastards.

meant here

I learned just through youtube tutorials by making little stupid apps and if I didnt know how to do part of it i would just look up a tutorial

i don't understand the need for an overlay
this is just an active window on top of a full-screen background.. no different to just a window... over a desktop wallpaper

Attached: 2018-06-18-221743_1920x1080_scrot.jpg (1920x1080, 438K)

I remember a few months ago reading an article about this new application that allowed you to easily run windows and linux at the same time, and switch between the two easily. Is there such a new application, or am i just getting confused with virtualbox or something?

need a nas. any suggestion? I found an used Netgear Readynas RND2000 V2 for 80€. is that good? don't want to spend >100 and the only cheap brands are netgear, buffalo and synology. the model I found has 256mb of ram (you can upgrade it up to 1gb)

Attached: 1521157483722.jpg (600x450, 46K)

Oh and i'm not talking about the windows 10 WLS or whatever its called, it was more of a virtualbox-y with a full interface and linux desktop etc