Can I stop using Microsoft Office?

I need to share a lot of .docx and .xlsx files with other students but I dont wanna use any Microsoft botnet program ever again (I wanna go fullLinux).
How good is SoftMaker FreeOffice? Any experiences?

Attached: Migrate_To_Office_365.jpg (835x500, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office
wps-community.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Office is literally the best suite of WYSIWYG editors.

I know pajeet but I still dont wanna use it

this. Just run Office in a VM. Don't burden your schoolmates with your Linux autism.

Attached: welcome.jpg (561x453, 54K)

A sure way to get excluded from study groups is being an autistic sperg. Don't be an autisti sperg.
Fuck, at least try to pretend.

>Office suits all my needs but I don't want to use it.

I'll never understand you open-source fags. If something works, why look for an alternative that will almost definitely have compromises?

> Implying the ones using the proprietary software aren't the burden

I'd say OpenOffice,
these guys/gays usually say LibreOffice

>Not doing everything in LaTeX
Pleb

>Can I stop using Microsoft Office?
>I need to share a lot of .docx and .xlsx files
No, don't bother, you just going to make your life and those of everyone you work with.

>i know its be best office suite
>i don't want to use it
just use it retard

It costs like a hundred dollars a year. It's fucking bullshit. If you can pirate 2013 then go for it, otherwise it's not worth it over libreoffice. The only one with significant differences is excel.

You can probably get it for free from your job.
You can probably get it for free from your university.
You can pirate it.
You can buy a cheap key.
You can get 365.
Fuck off.

Your college will give it to you for free.

I'm not the OP. Obviously if your work or school pays for it then use it.
>buy cheap key
>buy 365
Literally good goy

>pay for 3rd party $5 key
>good goy
are you retarded

It's free and has no backdoors.

>paying anything at all for a fucking word processor
When I was on college I wrote all my papers in Google docs or libreoffice, not a single formatting error. If you need excel, outlook, or PowerPoint then yes $5 is worth it but in most scenarios for college students it's not, and as a grown adult if your workplace doesn't have office on your company computer then I cannot imagine why you'd need office other than document writing anyway

>I wrote all my papers in Google docs

>for college students it's not
unless their collage/uni is shit they will get it for free

also
>Google docs

Honestly I've stopped using Office.
Why? Because it's shit.

> all the keyboard shortcuts are different from the default one if you are not using the english version. Instead of CTRL+S for saving now is CTRL + B and other shit.
> It's the least compatible office suite but at the same time the most used one. I don't get it.
> Shitty theme
> Shitty font rendering

Honestly I will use Libreoffice 'till the end of my day. It just works and hase 90% of the Office features.

>least compatible

Everything important or mass produced like letters I write in Latex

Everything quick and dirty in LibreOffice.

OP here.
I use LibreOffice for my own stuff
but I heard good stuff about SoftMaker FreeOffice compatibility with Microsoft Office so I wanna know from people who use it how good it is

wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office

That link shows shitloads of things that aren't supported on LibreOffice, its hardly a strong argument, and a lot of the things Office is missing is niche stuff literally no one cares about.

keyboard shortcuts are retarded. you thought ctrl-f was find? WRONG, because you the swedish version.
wtf, m$?

Yeah, I have that problem too. It's shit and this is one of the biggest reason why I use libreoffice.

No it's not. Pic related.

Attached: firefox_2018-06-18_14-49-40.png (1262x299, 33K)

Microsoft office is a joke. I wrote my papers in ms word but since I didn't own a printer when I had to submit my papers I converted them in PDF before printing. Because if you don't the formatting will almost surely break if you open the file in the different version of ms word.
People distributing documents in proprietary formats are insane (well pdf was too proprietary until recently but at least it is consistent and gets the job done).

You posted a picture showing what LibreOffice doesn't support you dumb fuck.
ahahaha

Attached: 1426028856987.jpg (1920x1088, 59K)

>vertical alignment
>not supported
AHAHAHA

That pic is also wrong.
Office doesn't support LaTeX syntax, it supports a vaguely similar similar subset.

This.Last I used MS Office at home was Office XP. Last good MS Office was 97. Have to use it at work, the only good bits are Excel (which is really good for quick analysis of data) and PowerPoint. Word is atrocious and gets blown out of the water by LibreOffice.
LaTeX gives best results, but it will keep you awake at night the same way hemorrhoids do. I wish there was something between Markdown and LaTeX that was actually both good and rewarding at the same time.

I normally write plaintext files if I don't really need formatting.

This, go full LaTeX.

I wouldn't want to make my life either.

True- And why use office for LaTeX when you have... LaTeX...

I'm using SoftMaker 2016 on a regular basis and even if the user interface is a little strange, I've never had any problems with M$ formats like .xlsx or .docx. Most of the time I only import those files, but the export seems to be find too.

>Install pirate windows VM
>Install pirate office
>Don't allow the VM to get network access

Congrats, you now can use Office without joining the Microshit botnet

there's no open source solution that is good with docx or anything microsoft. your best bet is libreoffice. if you don't mind using closed source on linux try wps-community.org/ it's almost as good as ms office in docx and xlsx processing.

wtf

Attached: file.png (1280x682, 214K)

heh, yeah. chinks being chinks but hey - it's free.

Because you're paying a lot for it and it might send every one of your keystrokes to anywhere it wants.

Both of them are compromises.

When did you graduate McDonalds acedemy, kiddo?

Honestly I don't see a point in using Office Writers anymore.
For long works or papers, I use LaTeX Memoir.
For presentations, LaTeX Beamer.
For calc files I use either Libreoffice Calc or Gnumeric.
For taking notes, I simply write .txt files using nano.