Is this a good CS curriculum?

Is this a good CS curriculum?

I think it’s what I want to major in but I don’t want to JUST myself

Attached: 4C0CDA32-BA74-4C89-84C4-7F833ED6F19C.png (1044x562, 155K)

What you do in the workplace later matters a lot more, I didn't find much of what I learned in school to be very useful at work. All that really mattered was exposure to code, writing code and debugging code

Also what’s the difference between computer science and computer engineering or software engineering?

Are they essentially the same thing?

I'd try and look for a curriculum that teaches more real world skills than a bunch of theory you'll never use. The course I'm on includes some modules on web development (frontend and backend), and modules on 3D graphics and human-computer interaction. Obviously look for a curriculum that teaches mostly programming concepts and compsci theory, but it's nice to have a range of "real world skill" modules too so you can diversify your knowledge and explore what you'd enjoy to do as a career.

In answer to:
>Also what’s the difference between computer science and computer engineering or software engineering?
Course names are always vague and overlapping and the fact that I'm from the UK might mean they're defined differently over here, but as far as I understand it:

>computer science
Focused on the theory and maths behind software
>computer engineering
Focused on hardware and low level programming
>software engineering
Focused on the logistics of developing software. Planning, development cycles, testing etc.

> falling for the CS meme

Have fun competing against dozens of Pajeets for Jobs

> Computer Science
math + computing

> Computer Engineering
Computer science + Electrical Engineering

> Software Engineering
Same as CS but with less math desu

This is an extreme simplification

y4 is way too late for "intro to algorithms", otherwise it looks fine, maybe needs more logic

all the social/behavioral/ethical stuff is probably shit too

Apparently this is shit, damn I was excited. Oh well it the second best state school and I can’t get into the best so I will have to make it work...

how so?

besides, you can always work hard on your own if you are interested in this stuff

I was looking at top schools and the classes seem pretty outdated compared to a school like CMU or MIT

it really depends on the teacher, how motivated they are for what they are doing, are they actually doing science or just teaching, etc

Never take a 101 with a 102 unless you have independent study and understanding of fundamentals.

>Intro to algorithms in YEAR 4
No. What a shitty course, we got that stuff at the end of year 1.

really? you did kruskal, prim, dijkstra, horspool, warshall, floyd, johnson-trotter, dynamic programming, knapsack, convex hull, P/NP/NP-complete, and turing machines in year 1?

"intro"

well that's what the textbook says too, but that's what was in it

we were just told it's an intro because there's apparently a lot more to learn at the graduate level

Attached: 0132316811.jpg (525x648, 146K)

Hey did you go to Michigan Tech?

Did all that by end of year 2

At my uni we did Kruskal, Prim, Dijkstra, Warshall and Floyd in the 1st year

kruskal, prim, dijkstra, floyd, P/NP/NP-complete and turing machines were covered in first year algorithms here. Afterwards we covered dynamic programming, knapsack, convex hull after a review of graph algorithms from the first class.

Kek, where the hell did go to school we did that in my junior year of high school

at the expense of your remedial English courses