/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install older Windows with USB 3
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing

Overclocking
>DON'T BUY AN 8000K CPU OR Z300 BOARD IF YOU AREN'T OVERCLOCKING
>Delid 8000K
>Use Precision Boost 2 offsets for Ryzen 2000X

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider if close to 2200G price
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for gaming, but most expensive platform & delid necessary
>R7 2700/X - Best mainstream high-end mixed usage
>Threadripper/used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

Motherboards
>Don't buy A320 (All Ryzen is unlocked)
>Only Z300 Intel boards can utilize memory over 2666MHz

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - Too much for most users
>2933MHz+ is ideal; 3200 CL14 is B-die

Storage
>StoreMI can make HDDs better
>Consider getting a larger SSD instead of SSD+HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 can be SATA or PCIe
>PCIe/NVMe for intensive use only

Video cards
>SLI and CrossFire are unadvisable
MSRP of common cards
>(GTX) 1050- $110, Ti- $140; 1060 3GB- $200, 6GB- $230; 1070- $380, Ti- $450; 1080- $500, Ti- $700
>(RX) 570 4GB- $170; 580 8GB- $230; Vega 56- $400; Vega 64- $500
1080p
>1050 Ti, 1060 3/6GB, or 570/580
>1070 or Vega 56 if you're looking for 100+ fps & have a CPU to match
1440p
>1070/Ti, 1080 or Vega 56/64
>1080 Ti if you're looking for 100+ fps & have a CPU to match
2160p
>1080 Ti

Monitors
>G-SYNC only with high budget/refresh rate
>Always consider FreeSync with RX cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: N_LqIxY0cuwWov79Y9B6qRzTwWypKhRqifeiMOD17rg.jpg (571x578, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DMjXfH
pcpartpicker.com/list/twNGkd
pcpartpicker.com/product/sX4gXL/noctua-thermal-paste-nth1
amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CKVW18G
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133253
smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M1HHK3N/?tag=pcpapi-20
tweaktown.com/reviews/6855/thermaltake-commander-g41-mid-tower-chassis-review/index.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/vcbjGG
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2
youtube.com/watch?v=T9WiseBU9sI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anime is for faggots

where the fuck is my ram and mobo ebuyer

>anime

Yes, the Crosshair is good and also expensive.

Hello ebuyer here you're gay

Agreed

Anybody here used thermal pads instead of thermal paste?

fuck off degenerate

Attached: 1523052091052.jpg (240x272, 33K)

>all set ready to order
>place order, pay with paypal
>SORRY YOU NEED TO ADD A CREDIT CARD FOR THIS
What’s even the fucking point of using a credit card through paypal? Now I have to wait for my money to transfer back to the bank. Just add another week to my wait time
Fuck this newegg shit I’m buying a bunch of amazon cards with cash and calling it a day

The only other thing I could find was this

>MB ASROCK AM4 X470 GAMING K4 4xDDR4

The price is between the Crosshair and the X470-Plus

The ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 is well rated on Newegg/pcpartpicker but it's also a Newegg exclusive.

Any reasonable changes?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DMjXfH

>intel
Housefire/10

Kraken X61 or just slap a DH15 and call it a day

Honest opinions of corsair power supplies? Specifically cx550.

Heres a reasonable change

pcpartpicker.com/list/twNGkd

Shit.
>Get a EVGA or Seasonic PSU, Corsair PSUs suck in general except their high end rebrands.

>cx
shit tier

This kid has a better rig than you.

Attached: 1486300190816_.jpg (900x1200, 147K)

Interdasting
I swapped a seasonic S12ll for that corsair thinking it was better. Kinda glad I couldn’t get through paypal now
Thanks anons

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DMjXfH
Looks ok.
I prefer 280MM because it tends to be quieter due to the larger 140mm fans.
That model is really poorly performing, too. You could easily hit 75C+ on it.

Why would you buy a CXM? Old model that had issues. Got replaced by the TXM series, no?

Honestly at that price tag he might aswell pay the extra $80 and get the 2700x

>never set up PayPal before
Pleb. Don't cry in a few days you'll have safe and secure payments. Besides that isn't there an option to pay without PayPal?

Is having a lot of coolers on my MOBA going to greatly expand my lifespan if I don't overclock?

>Anybody here used thermal pads instead of thermal paste?
Nope

Attached: poo-550x367.jpg (550x367, 18K)

>StoreMI can make HDDs better
That's a really misleading description.
StoreMI can rival an ssd dude

You fucked up bigtime

>Is having a lot of coolers on my MOBA going to greatly expand my lifespan if I don't overclock?
You just need to keep your mobo at around 50-60°C to try maximize life. It's the thermale change that does damage. But its really over stated and not something to be worried about. Like my CPU I'm too lazy to replace its 5 year old thermal paste so it hits 90°C under load. So when I stop it returns to around under 40°C(hot country).
This change from hot to cold lowers the CPU life. Its honestly nothing to worry about though.

Attached: 62c61c40ceae7d27fa2f5644ae5f56fb--image-search-katee-owens.jpg (500x660, 47K)

>wraith cooling pulled CPU right out of the sockets twice
>preapplied pastey smeared into at least one socket
Be honest, this shit won't turn on, will it?

>thinking corsair is better than seasonic
And Seasonic is the best PSU maker.

I only have the choice of that one. Wondering if you guys think it's decent for the 2700x

>Be honest, this shit won't turn on, will it?
Won't know until you try. Just make sure everything is cleaned up. And your more careful in future

No, since the only one worth considering is the graphite one which is pretty expensive
Kyronaut is made for people who use thermal paste a whole lot
If you plan to do your CPU and maybe repaste your card you should get a 3.5g tube of NT-H1
pcpartpicker.com/product/sX4gXL/noctua-thermal-paste-nth1
Corsair does what EVGA does but worse
Try to get it out of the socket/off the pins, but make sure your motherboard is unpowered entirely
It isn't conductive, so you will likely be fine but if you got a fuckton of it you could have comtact issues

Attached: __suzuno_fuusuke_inazuma_eleven_and_inazuma_eleven_series_drawn_by_hinabu__1ffbebe6b5de131719bcf24fb (329x700, 89K)

I want to learn about Overclocking my CPU and using XMP for my DDR4 RAM -- Where to start?

I have an i7-8700k and RAM that stock speed is 2133 MHz but I think it can go up to somewhere around 4k MHz if I remember from the packaging correctly.

>StoreMI can rival an ssd dude
Yes, by making HDDs faster

Newegg won’t let me pay with my bank through paypal, they want to add a credit card, at which point I might as well save $50 and go to amazon with a card anyway. And they won’t let me do will-call orders if paid with paypal.

Also the whole thing about it being delayed is I need to transfer to an account I can withdraw from now. It’s in a brokerage account I use exclusively for paypal

>No, since the only one worth considering is the graphite one which is pretty expensive
amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CKVW18G
~$15 is expensive?
Or is this not a propper one?

What's the best bang for your buck Graphics card that will let me play Fortnite on medium graphics with an absolute minimum 60fps?
I have a I7 950 with 12 gb of ram. Will this work?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-18-13-03-30.png (1440x2560, 1.11M)

>No Amazon or Newegg sales for 8700k, 8600k or 2600x
>no motherboard sales either except for the lower end boards
>don't want to buy ram on 'sale' if I'm not sure what MB I'll be getting
Outside of bundles has anyone ever seen the 8700k get reduced to sub $320 prices or the 2600x at $200? Should I just bite the bullet since there's no big holiday outside of July 4th or are those sales typically pretty big?

>pulled CPU right out of the sockets twice
How does this even happen? Did you forget to pull down the latch?

Attached: photo_2017-03-02_16-23-24.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

>but I think it can go up to somewhere around 4k MHz if I remember from the packaging correctly.
>trusting marketing
Hopefully you can get 3000mhz but Intel doesn't really benefit with rams speeds higher than 2666mhz

Also overclocking is pretty much a meme nowadays and isn't really worth doing. The auto over clocking is for gaming and with a CPU that powerful edging out 10fps more isn't worth the power consumption nor wear to the CPU.
>>StoreMI can rival an ssd dude
>Yes, by making HDDs faster
Making it faster to the point it can function as an ssd itself. Someone not in the now won't even bother to find out more about it which they really should as it's a really amazing thing amd has pulled off. Its surprising no one has praised it more.

XMP is a switch you turn on and it should automatically fill everything out. Not hard to do at all.
CPU overclocking depend on what processor abd cooling setup you have. Generally you increase the voltage to the highest recommended number and see how much frequency you can push with that.
For AMD 2000X series you can also let Precision Boost take care of it for even better results
$15 (or $20 for larger heat spreaders) is at least a few tubes worth of high quality paste which you can put on multiple things and has slightly better performance
Only good if you're really sold on the idea of a thermal pad
At that point your CPU could be holding you back from 60 fps
He probably yanked it out

Attached: __enkidu_fate_strange_fake_and_fate_series_drawn_by_umishima_senbon__3e26b55b92b0c7fabf07241563cba4d (500x500, 210K)

That's an odd arrangement you've got there.
That'll be more than enough for fortnite.
Also fortnites a horrible game and you should be ashamed of yourself for playing it.
Also what the other guy said. I'd be more worried about your cpu

Hello /pcbg/.
I screwed up, I didn't realize the new cards were about a half-inch longer than the card I currently had.

So now I can't fit it inside of my case, because whoever designed it decided to put a metal hard drive bay right across from the place the PCI-E slots are fitted. I was thinking of simply taking some tin shears and cutting away the empty hard drive bay, pulling the metal back, and then I would have enough space for the new card and then some.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Would I be better off just buying a new case?

>At that point your CPU could be holding you back from 60 fps
Thanks for the info

Corsair doesn't manufacture PSUs, they only design and develop them. So they have to outsource that to a PSU OEM - i.e., someone like Seasonic. As such, the quality of Corsair PSUs can vary a lot between different models, depending on who actually builds the model in question. As for Seasonic, they're generally considered to be the best OEM for PSUs.

>Only good if you're really sold on the idea of a thermal pad
Well, kind of.
I'm just fucking scared I apply paste the wrong way. That's all.

Newegg isn't the only online vendor. You can buy from somewhere else.

Is heat transfer through heat pipes a massive joke? should I look for coolers that attach directly to the CPU and aren't formed out of 2 platforms/pieces?

Can you take a picture?
You sure you can't just cut the GPU shroud? That tends to jut out further than the GPU board itself

That's why I mentioned Amazon as well. Ebay has horrible deals with inconsistent shipping/prices and the Microcenter is my area is apparently out of stock for most parts that I'm looking for. What else would you suggest?

I can't take a picture right now, but this is my case
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133253

The space between the card and the hard drive bays is almost exactly the length of a 980Ti. I've included a red line to show the length that I'm trying to fit.

I've bent back the metal 'lip' on the hard drive bay, that works except now I have to contend with the screwdriver tabs on the card. Also, I'm worried the card itself may be touching the bays if I even manage to get it in like that.

Any suggestions?

Attached: 11-133-253-07.jpg (1280x960, 131K)

If it helps any, B450 mobos seem likely to start coming out late next month.

is this ram the good one for ryzen?
smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M1HHK3N/?tag=pcpapi-20
the price doesn't seem that high when compared to my local prices (same price for 16gb 3000 c15)

>That'll be more than enough for fortnite.
How cheap do you think I could potentially go, gpu wise, to achieve 60 fps on medium?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-18-13-27-56.png (1440x2560, 1.36M)

>Intel doesn't really benefit with rams speeds higher than 2666mhz
Not true desu. 3200 can get up to 10% performance gains over 2666 in certain games on the 8400 and I assume if could be more on the 8700K
Depends on what case you have
Would be smarter to drill out any rivets/screws holding the bay in place if you can
But if it's some shitty case you may as well buy a new one
It's basically impossible since you don't really need that much
Even if you put way too much on the worst that can happen is it will get your motherboard a bit dirty
Heat pipes are really conductive so long is you have enough to match the heat you put out
They are similar to tubes in a water-cooled setup, because it's the vapor inside them that does the lifting
Yes, those are great.

Attached: __kinoshita_hideyoshi_baka_to_test_to_shoukanjuu_drawn_by_cuteg__7dd5a3ae6dec986b1e542d48ebfae744.jp (500x667, 264K)

>basically impossible
You are very polite to assume I'm not a complete and utter idiot when it comes to things like that.

According to Tweaktown, the top HDD cage should be removable:
>six plastic trays, sectioned off in groups of three in two sections of HDD rack; the top three will remove from the stack, but the bottom three are permanent.
tweaktown.com/reviews/6855/thermaltake-commander-g41-mid-tower-chassis-review/index.html

>yanked it out

Those springy screw's

Plz tell me you're single. I want a fem bf.

This is not your ERPing thread

750 Ti is not worth buying
900 series is as old as you should go since anything earlier is not going to be optimised
Do you fuck up at putting ketchup on your hamburger? It's basically that easy.
Nope, sorry!

Attached: illust_66046795_20180618_122706.jpg (1060x1500, 1.41M)

>750 Ti is not worth buying
>900 series is as old as you should go since anything earlier is not going to be optimised
Ohh good to know. Thanks a lot for your help.

>Do you fuck up at putting ketchup on your hamburger? It's basically that easy.
Fair enough. Thanks for giving me hope!

pcpartpicker.com/list/vcbjGG

GPU is leftover from other PC and I got additional HDDs as well. GPU is in the list to make a "complete" system. One user suggested making sure that I don't get sub-2666 RAM.
Ryzen seems to have the edge when it comes to "work + games + streams" combined. So I will opt for the 2007x.
Any aditions for this one? Be gentle and pretend you are talking to an idiot.

Dual channel is preferred, but whether that means 2x8GB or 2x16GB right now is on you.

Do you have the case and PSU already? If not I would switch PSU out for a G3
I agree with the other guy, dual channel is very important since it doubles your RAM bandwidth.
Otherwise you did pretty good

Attached: illust_68843694_20180618_122056.jpg (1055x1044, 589K)

>Dual channel
Good call!
Following that logic, would it be even better to have 3x8GB or something like that?
Or does it end with 2x?

Kryonaut 5.5grams tube is around that price and enough for what... 15 applications or so?

The IHS sticks to the cooler when the thermal paste is cool.

GTX 1050 would probably do it on high. idk. Look on youtube for something that specific, it usually delivers. Look for the ones that have side by side gameplay with FPS counters, not some poorly rendered benchmarks with loud music.
You could get away with a 750ti, but it's such a waste of money to buy from chinks new on Ali express.
Could also wait for the Vulkan update. Supposed to be around 30% FPS increase on AMD cards. Right now though Nvidia has a bigger advantage in that game than like any recent game.
But hell, you can play that game on an 8800Gt, or GTX 270. What are you even using now that can't run it well? Are you sure it's not your OS, shit running in the background, or CPU causing problems?

Tard
Average amd shill everyone

Nope I need a new one and this one was the one I would get, but I'm not married to it yet.
(Dunno why it doesnt show a price, I selected it in the german part of the website)

best 40 dollar (or under) power supply for my first build? making a rizen 2200g computer for animu, begining programing,light gaming (minecraft with mods) and i might drop a 1050 later (year from now or more if i need it) what should i get? was planning on a corsair vs550w cus according to my research on the internet corsair is better than evga and thermaltake around this price range but here your all shitting on corsair so idk what to do. help me gento pep im a tard

Attached: 9f470e2.jpg (750x418, 55K)

Has to be in multiples of 2. I'm not sure exactly how more than 2 sticks work, might vary per board. At least 2 x dual channel (4 sticks) is not the same as quad channel (4 sticks).

also my budget is of 400-430 maybe 450

Attached: e0921bf.jpg (3480x4640, 1.07M)

post a part picker

I'm usually an Intel fanboy and the high temperatures annoy the fuck out of me. Not going to buy Coffee Lake as long as they don't stop smearing toothpaste on their chips. There is literally no excuse for not soldering that shit.

Attached: 1432626487298.jpg (260x194, 14K)

>touhou
>anime

>Kryonaut 5.5grams tube is around that price and enough for what... 15 applications or so?
Isn't that their selling point though?
That you can reuse the graphite pad?

>he hasn't seen Tenchou x Touhou Project

EVGA and Seasonic gold modular/semi-modular often go on sale for $35 for the 550w or so models. Look for those. They go on sale like every week or two like clockwork.
Camelcamelcamel and pcpp price history can give an idea of common sale patterns for a model for amazon and newegg respectively.

And sure, 2200G is good. Though again I'd recommend waiting for sales as you can often get the 2400G for around $131.

A 3rd stick can cause them all the down clock. Depends on a bunch of shit.

G3 or FOCUS Plus Gold 550/650 are my recommendations dpeending on price
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
Bronze modular unit, Seasonic 620W but if you can get a gold rated one it would be better
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2
The 1050 will be way outdated a year from now
Realistically, are you going to reuse the pad 15 times? Also you can't use the pad on a GPU if you have it on the CPU and vice versa

Attached: illust_58627509_20180618_122049.jpg (800x1024, 529K)

I know it's PC building but I'm looking for a laptop for mid range game like overwatch and such, something with a 1050ti or something, budget is 950€

>GTX 1050 would probably do it on high. idk. Look on youtube for something that specific, it usually delivers. Look for the ones that have side by side gameplay with FPS counters, not some poorly rendered benchmarks with loud music.
>You could get away with a 750ti, but it's such a waste of money to buy from chinks new on Ali express.
>Could also wait for the Vulkan update. Supposed to be around 30% FPS increase on AMD cards. Right now though Nvidia has a bigger advantage in that game than like any recent game.
>But hell, you can play that game on an 8800Gt, or GTX 270. What are you even using now that can't run it well? Are you sure it's not your OS, shit running in the background, or CPU causing problems?

Pic related is my system. It is running an Nvidia Quadro 2000 with 1gb vram.
I got it for free from work. And wanted to put in as little money as possible to get it running Fortnite with med settings at 60fps min. Currently it is running it at around 40fps on low settings with the configuration shown.
I have intentions to build a proper full out desktop in the next year or so but for now I just wanted to do the absolute bare minimum to achieve the 60fps on med. That's why I thought these chink cards may get the job done. OS wise though it's running a fresh install of Win7 pro.

Attached: 20180612_202103.jpg (2048x1536, 1.15M)

>gaming laptop

I'll never understand the need for this.

give me a sec

>1355 single threaded passmark
ouch

usually around what time of the year re the deals on? im trying to get my build this summer

Which Windows 10 should I get? Is it like 7 where there's pro, ultimate, home, and all that shit? What's the best for gaming?

I used to be on the 1607 Enterprise LTSB meme but I upgraded to 1803 Enterprise meme.

Performance depends on multiple things, I think I got a bit better performance in PS3 emulation due to better Ryzen support but who knows.

I frequently go back and forth from University and I like to have a PC with me, also I like playing games, I don't have much space either

thin and light with amazing battery + gaming desktop

remote into/stream desktop from laptop

Credit cards don't work that way. Maybe you're using the term loosely and really mean a debit card, in which case I'd have to advise against buying online with a debit card.

I got it for free from work. Beggers can't be choosers amirite. I'm just trying to see how cheaply I can achieve my minimum threshold of tolerable gameplay before having to fork over a lot of dough on a new system. Ideally if a sub 100$ CAD gpu could get me there, I would be super happy.

Hold your motherboard upside down. With your other hand, use a syringe to squirt isopropyl alcohol at the paste until it gets cleared out. Don't use too much pressure, to avoid bending pins/breaking small passive components.

Oh I agree
I think it more has to do with the higher-ups at Intel than their engineers and scientists
They wanted to cut costs and they figured that no one would notice or care

dont have time to get everything n part picker r now, i have to get out.

Attached: Untitled.png (1465x1477, 279K)

>i have to get out.
RUN MAN

Consensus from various "tier lists" etc is that this is my best bet for a PSU under £70. Is that correct?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-18-19-41-05-002.jpg (1078x1183, 263K)

Maybe a 1030 but I'd consider saving up around $350 CAD for a 2200G+B350+2x4GB 3000+MHz
youtube.com/watch?v=T9WiseBU9sI