/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier
you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: HMD-Global-Nokia-lineup-MWC-2018-16x9.jpg (1920x1080, 2.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/
indiegogo.com/projects/light-phone-2-design#/
youtube.com/watch?v=cV5TjZCJkuA
jbhifi.com.au/phones/android-phones/
youtu.be/As2x4rxLQUo
rbt.asia/g/thread/65972535/#65988928
dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-note-3-exceptional-images-bells-whistles/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-note-3
gizmochina.com/2018/06/17/oppo-find-x-to-offer-massive-screen-space-of-93-8/
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=9109#show
wikihow.com/Check-CDMA-or-GSM
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&sFreeText=wireless
gsmarena.com/bluetooth_certification_confirms_the_nokia_x6_will_go_global-news-31743.php
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-se
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BOOTLOADERS

can someone tell Sony to release the Xperia XZ2 Premium please

I just posted this as the last thread died... Here it is again

>I have cricket and they're offering the iPhone se 32gb new as an upgrade for $185 total. Is that worth it from a Moto E2? They also have the iPhone 6 32gb for $225 6s for $325, and 6s plus $425
>Are any of these worth it or should I buy a Nokia 6.1 or a XZ1 compact or z5 compact or a Moto g6... I'll take any recommendations if these all suck.
>I have cricket and they're offering the iPhone se 32gb new as an upgrade for $185 total. Is that worth it from a Moto E2? They also have the iPhone 6 32gb for $225 6s for $325, and 6s plus $425
>Are any of these worth it or should I buy a Nokia 6.1 or a XZ1 compact or z5 compact or a Moto g6... I'll take any recommendations if these all suck

Did the redmi 6 bezels actually get bigger?

what's the verdict on moto g6

>iPhone
SE is better than 6
6S = SE, but SE is smaller
6S is just a phablet sized 6/SE

>Android
Nokia 6.1 is a mid-range device, good software update policy, you can't unlock its bootloader yet because Nokia if you're into custom roms and rooting

XZ1 Compact is a high end device, Sony devices are aesthetic as fuck, good software update policy, good screen, good sound

Z5 Compact is obsolete, also its SoC a shit, don't buy this one

Moto G6 is a low end device, regular software update policy, Moto Display is VERY useful, 18:9 screen is nice I guess

I can recommend you a phone but you want an iPhone or an Android? also do you care about custom OS skins on Android or do you want pure Android (Pixel/Nexus like)?

Lenovo has ruined Motorola
xda-developers.com/motorola-moto-g6-moto-e5-series-poor-software-support/

That being said, if you're on Verizon or Sprint it (or the Moto X4) is pretty much the only decent option in the price range.

I have never used an iPhone but they seemed like lower than typical prices, I may be wrong about that anyway

. I would definitely want a clean, fast, pure experience. I don't want any bloat at all. Thank you for helping if you do, it's nice of you. I have feroid and only used it to download clover I suppose.

iPhones are good if you have Apple devices like MacBooks, Apple TV, iPad, etc because of apple's ecosystem, everything just works seamlessly across apple products, also if you want to always have the latest software and security updates, iPhones are good as well, that's why big companies give iPhones to their employees.

If you want Android and a pure experience you should buy a Pixel device, if Pixel 2 phones are too expensive for you, try to look for a Pixel Gen 1 device, either vanilla or XL, they're the same as Pixel 2 but without a 18:9 screen

if you want to go budget, look for OnePlus, Motorola, Nokia and Android One devices

Oppo Find X is the next best design of 2018

Attached: akrales_180614_2657_0160.gif (800x533, 168K)

MY S9 ARRIVES TOMORROW
CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

>be notchlet
>get btfo

Attached: akrales_180614_2657_0124_down.jpg (800x533, 78K)

I'm thinking about buying a Nokia 8 (original) since it still has a headphone jack and I can get the 4/64gb version for 299€ or the 6/128gb version for 399€.

Does anyone here have any experience with it? I'm looking to keep the phone for 5+ years, and the battery doesn't seem too good. I assume it will turn to shit fairly quickly? But on the other there are not many alternatives aside from OnePlus, which is more expensive. + the chinks will are using it for spying.

I wouldn't be in a rush to buy a new phone but with the headphone jack dissappearing from most new phones I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point.

>If you want Android and a pure experience you should buy a Pixel device
Stop giving shitty advice. Wait 3 months and grab a phone published under Android One by someone that's not constantly releasing defective phones and charging $1000 for them. Android One's architecture is such that anyone releasing phones adhering to it must be releasing stock Android and guarantee updates for at least 2 years feature-based and 3 year security just like Google does with its terrible Pixel line.

I mentioned Android One devices below if user don't want to spend too much money on a high end phone

Also, would the 6gb be better in this case, since I'm planning on keeping it for a long time? I have no idea about RAM usage in modern phones. Is 6gb only for those running a shitload of apps or will 4gb eventually make the phone slow even with normal usage?

Has anyone using Microsoft Launcher noticed the icons being misaligned? I mean shifted upwards, giving too much space to the titles.

anyone heard of this Light Phone 2 yet?
just stumbled across it today, seems neat. I was interested in the Punkt phone a while back but didn't end up getting one because it ran on 2g, so it won't be supported anymore.
thoughts on this one though? I'm gonna wait until I see more of it as the release gets closer.
indiegogo.com/projects/light-phone-2-design#/

Attached: light-phone-2.jpg (1080x600, 383K)

here's your dumbphone goy, that'll be $300 for no features because it's le minimalist

Used LG G6 For $100 usd yay/nay?

Attached: 1311758904352.jpg (857x589, 95K)

>launching a new product line in mid 2019 that maxes out at 4G LTE when 5G is going online

Attached: 1501604486665.jpg (762x785, 193K)

5G is not "going online" any time soon

hype

Attached: oppo-find-x-10.jpg (160x212, 7K)

youtube.com/watch?v=cV5TjZCJkuA

Attached: 1528993877967.png (640x428, 365K)

>find x will be €1000 in eu
fuck me

Is Aosp extended any good?
I'm thinking about installing it on my redmeme since they're no official lineage for it yet.
What features will I lose from miui?
How can I replace them if the OS doesn't offer a native option? Any apps that will do it? And can I use banking apps with it or Google will block them or some shit?

Girlfriend is looking for a new midrange phone with a decent camera for the money
So far looked at the oppo r11s, moto g8 pro (ugly as sin) and the redmi note 5 pro (has to be ordered though and she wants it asap)

Anything Im missing? Australian running on optus btw

Max of $600 Australian

Ideally a phone avaliable from JBHiFi or similar as opposed to online order

jbhifi.com.au/phones/android-phones/

Attached: Image.jpg (400x400, 26K)

I hate my SE
I want to go home to android

For $100 absolutely. But I would suspect something is wrong with it, at that price.

Why in the fuck would you pay $300 for this? If you really want to kick your smartphone addiction then just buy a Nokia 8110 for a third of the price (even that is a bit of a ripoff but it's vastly superior)

I use an iPhone SE and a Thinkpad W520. Works very well even outside Apple's ecosystem, but god damn I hate iTunes. CPU-raping piece of shit.

What the fuck is a moto g8 pro?

G6* my bad

>redmi note 5 pro (has to be ordered though and she wants it asap)
Without a question.
youtu.be/As2x4rxLQUo
Also keep in mind that camera performance can be drastically improved just by installing a ported Google Pixel camera app of all things.
rbt.asia/g/thread/65972535/#65988928

What are the downsides to rooting your phone?

Attached: 2dd.jpg (300x300, 15K)

Will this phone work fine in USA with a carrier using Sprint's and T-mobile's networks?

Attached: fhdfg.png (724x304, 18K)

Losing warranty. Not that it applies to all manufacturers.

>Unbox Therapy
Ewwww

wrong image

Attached: asdas.png (721x308, 19K)

>6.42"
yeah no

Help

With a 600 AUD budget you could go for the Mi Note 3
dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-note-3-exceptional-images-bells-whistles/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-note-3

Not in the EU

No, won't work

Note 8 or S9?

S9+

What is the problem with locked bootloaders?

>is xiaomi redmi note 5 is best option to switch from honor 5x?

Just ordered the OnePlus 6 AMA

Locked bootloader = no rooting or custom ROMs

how low is your IQ?

My shitty Huawei is feeling suicidal these days, so I've been thinking to buy my first Xiaomi phone.
I'm between these ones.
>Note 4
>Redmi 5 Plus
>Redmi Note 5
I don't play games on my phone, I just use it for messaging and lurking in Twitter and 4chin so I'm more interested in battery life than power.

Thank you by the way, anons.

Attached: 1265263154198.jpg (400x333, 14K)

Boobs or ass?(trick question)

Why didn't you wait for the 6t, knowing it will have the all-screen display and no notch?

Go with Redmi Note 5, it's the latest and greatest

Never tested
Ass
I needed to buy a new phone

Is there a way to tell if your current phone is using CMDA or GSM in the settings? Because I really would like to get a Nokia but my carrier Ting might not support it.

>Ass
Wrong

The correct answer was both

>no micro SD card slot
>no 3.5mm jack
>curved edge gimmick
>6.42"
>most likely wouldn't be available online
>constantly moving camera hardware as another point of failure
>an abysmal pricing is highly likely
gizmochina.com/2018/06/17/oppo-find-x-to-offer-massive-screen-space-of-93-8/
Hype? No.

A better question is is 4G LTE the same as CDMA?

>Is Aosp extended any good?
Of course. It isn't based on LineageOS, but on AOSP. LineageOS isn't the golden standard. If it is the only ROM for a particular device and all others are perhaps port, it would be the only and the best option.

Ports*

Worldwide, not online*

Do almost all 2017/2018 flagship releases have wireless charging and is wireless charging charger-specific, or can I buy and use any old wireless charger for any phone?

>I needed to buy a new phone
You never mentioned your previous device or any underlying issues with it. So, enjoy your 3300mAh battery in 2018. and the lack of a micro SD card slot.
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=9109#show
Famously subpar battery life of the S7 scores here. You clearly thought this through.

Scores higher*

wikihow.com/Check-CDMA-or-GSM

>3300mAh battery in 2018
My old phone was 1600mAh.

> lack of a micro SD card slot.
It's got 128gb of storage. My old phone had 32 and I never filled it.

did i do it right Jow Forums?

Attached: Capture.jpg (993x301, 37K)

Need a phone.
>Under $350
>works in USA

Only some of the recent flagships have wireless charging:
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&sFreeText=wireless

I think most of the (all?) phones with wireless charging support the Qi -standard, so you can charge any of those phones with a Qi wireless charger

Nokia 6.1 if you're on a GSM carrier, Moto G6 or X4 if you're on a CDMA carrier

Got it yesterday. Seems nice. No malware, unless you consider GApps to be.

Attached: Screenshot_20180619-173824.png (720x1440, 70K)

expanding on this
took a quick survey of the phones on JB and came up with this
the R11s plus is too large
she cant stand sonys design after seeing it in person
I had a boot loop LG G4 so she doesnt want to chance LG
anything in the far right panel can *probably* be ignored, unless theres a diamond in the rough there
I already have an S7 so if thats the pick then I'll just give her mine
pixel 2 is on a good special, however is it too old to be spending $900 on now?

>really want emphasis on the camera (for the price) and reliability/as painless software as possible

Attached: phones 2.jpg (1570x927, 416K)

Alright,

Moto G6 with 3gb of ram for $200
or
Moto G5 plus 4gb of ram $250

or Moto X4 3gb for $280

Makes it significantly easier to pwn

Why? It's not Android one unless you're on Fi, fuck you Google

Just received my used Pixel XL from eBay. Paid $140 and damn this thing kicks ass. Way faster than my Motorola G5, much nicer screen, great picture taking, you name it. Why anybody would waste money on anything else is beyond me. Let me repeat.
>Google Pixel XL.
>$140 burger bucks.

Attached: Screenshot_20180619-195616.png (1440x2560, 239K)

How much control over the lockscreen is there in LineageOS? Can you make it have no text or icons so the background is fully visible?

Predictions for Librem 5?

Am on a moto e 2nd gen with a recently broken screen since I lost my last smartphone and was too broke to replace it with anything but that.
Planning to upgrade this year, looking at nokia x6 or xiaomi mi 8 se.
x6
>slightly smaller
>android one
>jack
>probably cheaper
>(-)locked bootloader
mi 8 se
>better specs(cam, 710 snapdragon, amoled)
>unlocked bootloader
>(-)no jack
>(-)MIUI
>(-)more expensive

Or should I just say fuck it and get a redmi note 5 pro and wait for notchless fullscreen phones.

Don't buy the pixel 2 now you spaz. Grab a Redmi Note 5 Pro or whatever it's called. It's by far the best looking and probably most reliable.

I don't understand how everyonebis using these Chinese phones with so few bands

Have they announced a global release date for the X6? I know they took a Twitter poll and a shit ton of Rajeets took part and it was overwhelmingly positive thanks to the street shitters, but I haven't heard anything since
>spending $500 on a xiaomi
>and it's not a Mi Mix
Where do you live where it gets LTE?

There's a good number of chinkphones that pick up American LTE bands now, shit you can get a SD 835 powered Mi Mix 2 for under $400 and it picks up almost all international LTE bands including the US

It's basically only the US where the lack of bands is a problem, they work just fine in the rest of the world

does anyone know of a decent app for freezing other apps, as an alternative to titanium backup?

Looks like it's on the way
gsmarena.com/bluetooth_certification_confirms_the_nokia_x6_will_go_global-news-31743.php

just got a note 3, what should I install on it so it runs reasonably well while having goygle play access?

>Have they announced a global release date for the X6?
Looks likely, apparently a 5.1 plus too.
>and it's not a Mi Mix
I'd rather have a smaller phone really. It will probably be cheaper too.
>Where do you live where it gets LTE?
Belgium, it's got most of the bands of my provider.

I recently "upgraded" my Xperia XZ1 Compact to a XZ2 compact but I kind of prefer the XZ1 compact desu. The aspect ratio was good, the form factor was good, and I was able to get a glass screen protector. What's/g/'s thoughts on the XZ2 compact ?

Well the camera is the biggest upgrade going from XZ1C to XZ2C, if you don't care about that then I guess you would have been better staying on the XZ1C

>Mi 8 SE
>cheaper
Go look, they're already asking $500 US already

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi8-se

>notch
>below 4Ah

I was looking at these two phones and I liked the XZ1 compact more than I liked the XZ2 compact. They ruined the compact part on the new phone

Verizon's already testing it and AT&T has Go Live dates for 12 cities in 2019 you dumb nigger.

But clearly not $500

Looking for a new phone in the UK, don't have any contracts yet.
Ideally around 5 inch screen, the nexus 5 was a perfect size for me.
£500 budget