/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your questions here.

Please first check the Jow Forums wiki for related keywords, and/ or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.neocities.org/
startpage.com/
ddg.gg/lite

Jow Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/
Jow Forums sticky: Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with Previous thread:

Attached: 0755badefca49d083deee21aa343a497.png (600x848, 373K)

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/chap-guest_virtual_machine_device_configuration
gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are modern sites so cancerous?

Attached: Capture.png (32x32, 748)

I was wondering if there was a way to have the main host OS be windows on my machine and restrict or cut off network access completely and have a Linux virtual machine with full network access on that on that same machine. also I was wondering if I can set up a shared directory somehow between both of them (maybe a "network" shared directory but without the need to actually connect to the internet on the host machine itself).

I am not a windows user but I've recently got new job and they use windows exclusively so I wanted to have a windows machine on hand just in case I maybe want to replicate something from work and stuff like that.

I'm getting this error while installing i3-gaps,

configure: error cannot find the required ev_run() function despite trying to link with -lev

I can't find much online about it online or how to fix it, can anyone here help me? I'm using Manjaro 17.1.10. Command I'm using is,

../configure --prefix=usr --sysconfdir=etc --disable-sanitizers, any help would be appreciated.

You'd have to pass the hardware device directly through and give exclusive access to the virtual machine, it MIGHT be possible but I'm not 100% sure about it. access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/chap-guest_virtual_machine_device_configuration describes a similar thing, you could google PCI passthrough or something to see more info. (Assuming it's a PCI card, no idea what you'd do if it's built into the mobo)

>I was wondering if there was a way to have the main host OS be windows on my machine and restrict or cut off network access completely and have a Linux virtual machine with full network access on that on that same machine.
The host OS cant give the guest OS access to things that it doesn't have.
Why not install them the other way around?

If I use firefox incognito mode can websites still track my mouse movement ?

Attached: apu hello.jpg (657x527, 40K)

Yes.

if I use 2 32 bit programs that consume 3 GB of RAM each will these 2 have to share 4GB of Ram and underperform? or both will use 3GB of ram?

Is there a way to stop them from doing that ?

Trying to convert some clips to webm with ffmpeg using two pass. How would I go about this?

This is what I use currently for 1 pass:

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v libvpx -crf 18 - b:v 250K -vf scale=-1:360 -c:a libvorbis output.webm

how do I leave Arduino and do real AVR

Attached: 1529391129499.jpg (1024x853, 67K)

Find a datasheet for your AVR.
Read it.

My HDD started dying so I'm getting a new one.
I never bought a new HDD before so... Do I need to test it somehow or a simple SMART check is enough? I intend to use it as a temporary place for my OS until I get an SSD later.

Extended SMART checks are generally pretty thorough.

Is there a way to track git submodule changes only in your repository?
I currently only have read access to some dependency source code, so I've added their repo as a submodule. There were some changes that I had to make, and I want these to propagate to my teammates as well, without having to push to the parent repo of the submodule, for legal reasons.
How would I go about doing that?

How do I minimize latency in online games as much as possible? Just move to somewhere where fiber is?

add -pass 1 /dev/null to the first line then add -pass 2 to second line.

I'm using Windows so when I use /dev/null it just says no such directory exists. I think the documentation says to use NUL && ^ but that just outputs a file name NUL.webm

Attached: ffmpeg.png (658x107, 7K)

Thanks, any software you can recommend to do that?

gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io

Oh wait, I think I figured it out. The NUL file was actually been outputting to a .log file but for some reason the two pass webm looks worse than the single pass.

Try setting a limit?
Instead of using crf, use -b:v

I ran memtest86+ on my laptop and got a gorillion errors. Turned the laptop off and on, ran the memtest again, multiple times, but can't get any errors this time. Is my memory fucked or was it some dumb luck?
Maybe related: back when I was using win7 on the machine, it would beep from time to time, but I could'nt find explanation for the beeps for that model. And lately, my ubuntu installation got fucked and kept reporting crashes.

Is it feasible to get chromecast in 2018?

Attached: mpv-shot0196.jpg (1920x1080, 439K)

What's the best format for an external HDD? Still Fat32, or NTFS?
Is there a way around the 4GB limit of Fat32?

Is it possible for me to check if my internet was turned off/ unplugged? I am concerned someone has tampered with my computer. I have checked and can confirm that my computer up time is normal (it hasn't been turned off for ~ a week), but I can't tell if my wifi connector was disconnected.

Attached: 1526660646824.gif (500x400, 444K)

Find your router address and log in. Check the Uptime.

Is there no way for me to find out if someone has unplugged my wireless adapter and tampered with that kind of shit?

What are the best alternatives to Powerpoint on GNU+Linux ?

Is the ASUS ROG Rapture a good router? I don't want to buy an ethernet switch.

Probably NTFS if your stuck with windows.
FAT32 is a 32 bit file system maximum of 4,294,967,295 bytes per file. You can use exFAT which is 64 bit

Libre Impress or WPS

If you check the uptime and it's been reset then that means someone turned it off. If you really want to make sure, get a strand of hair and put it on the underside between the socket and the plug. Check again later if the hair is still there.

Speaking of HDDs.
I have an old Samsung HDD which I used for about 7 years or so and about half a year ago it started making clicking noises and freeze whenever it tries to access certain files / disk blocks.
According to SMART I have 3 reallocated sectors and 4 pending sectors, this value did not change at all ever since it started clicking (half a year).
Error log throws a "read failure at LBA" error.
From what I understand it's because of bad sectors? I did a quick google search and people say that a sector will be remapped/marked as bad IF system tries to write something to it and since I have a read failure disk keeps on trying to access those sectors.
Would a disk format help with this issue? I think full format writes zeroes to disk so it will try to write to bad sectors too thus marking them as inaccessible?

If your router supports logging it should show then it booted and synced with ntp servers

Attached: log.jpg (461x200, 28K)

wireless adapters are cheap im sure your drug operation can afford to replace any adapters you suppose the fbi tamperd with.

umatrix and leaving most scripts blocked is probably a good start

I guess its tech related. How do I make friends online? I don't have much luck at it irl so I figured I would give it shot on the web. I've heard a lot of anons talk about discord but I'm not a huge gamer so it might not be for me. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached: 1528605227097.jpg (638x693, 27K)

Mine just says a bunch of disconnects like seconds apart

Attached: time.png (145x265, 5K)

You can try low level formatting it essentially doing a zero fill if its an older drive or running chkdsk with the find and repair bad sectors option checked. It should attempt to write to all of the sectors of the disk and force the controller to remap any bad ones. Additionally smart is not always accurate typically any disk showing errors or behaving abnormally is immediately discarded

juts b urself

You don't. You start by joining an anime club, or by going to work, or by going to one of your clubs at your Uni, or work.

does anyone know of an alternative to Titanium backup that can freeze apps?

websites can do that? Fuck

What router and firmware are you using?
Can you ssh/telnet into the router?
If you can open a console just enter the command uptime and the box should print its current uptime

I know the uptime of the router is 22 days, but I don't know if they disconnected my actual computer's wireless adapter. The only way for me to know would be to find out is to see if my computer was disconnected from the internet some how I dunno if its actually possible.

I have an Archer D9

use an anime avi.

I wish I had a gf like that.

Yeah, the drive is pretty old (like 10 years old now or so). Haven't tried formatting it yet ever since it started choking. Low level format is the same as unchecking the "Quick format" / doing full format, right?

>new webm design
>looks clean
>volume control DISABLED

What the fuck, I am mad af with those new 'flash' videos like webm or on social media and music stores with always-max volume.
Who thinks this is a good idea??

Attached: malaka.jpg (1920x1080, 335K)

There IS a log file of all device connections and disconnections, in %SystemRoot%\inf\setupapi.dev.log . It is semi-readable text. It contains reports for all devices, not just USB

Yes doing a full format will force the disk to do a surface scan and remap bad sectors

Got it, thanks.

chrome://flags/#enable-modern-media-controls

Discovered reveal.js.
Comfy!

The lead person of this media player change is a total retard as evident by her comments on crbug regarding the usability.

Yeah, that move was shit from google. Hood thing that's it's so easy and intuitive to fix...

who was she?

the deleted post was: The lead person of this media player change is a total retard as evident by her comments on crbug regarding the usability.

what would happen if I take off one of my hard drives while my stuff is turned on? I mean phisically ofc

>inb4 why would you do that

Im worry about police and my drives full of CP

I can't I'm shy as well as bit socially retarded when I'm not :(
Yeah I guess I could try to join a club when I go back to college. Check'd them dubs for good advice. Just to be clear though is there something wrong with making friends online? I've heard warnings about dating online from Jow Forums but never friends.
What a coincidence before I refreshed the page to read the posts you all made I was actually looking for an anime profile pic to use for whatever site I would've gotten recommended.

Attached: 50804669_p0.jpg (329x426, 139K)

I couldn't find the relevant comments on crbug now so I deleted the post, no solid proofs and all that. But the comments had a feel of "it fine for mobile" and "who needs volume slider anyway".

i can see that, whoever thought that this was a good....

making friends is never wrong.
Just join a community based on your hobby. Whether it´s online (chat room/discord server/forum/general on 4chinks) or IRL.
People without anything in common, talking to each other will always be awkward.

Not having a volume slider is a retarded decision.
From what I understand it's made its way into Beta branch now and quite a lot of people are mad, on crbug and the net overall.
I think this player appeared in Canary like a month ago or so, I've been using Dev branch and it still doesn't have a volume slider.
I wonder if they gonna ship it to stable without a proper slider...

does the while cycle loops endlessly until the initial condition is false?

please respond

Attached: 8EZKbPu.jpg (720x960, 119K)

Is Jow Forums-X and Oneechan fucking up for anyone else?

How become cute animu grill such as this?

How to detect when an application like photoshop or illustrator exports a file, preferably using C# or nodejs

Attached: 1528206080518.jpg (3008x2000, 893K)

Where do I put this?

Attached: XcE1QiC.crop_610x320_0,132.resize_1200x630.png (1200x630, 929K)

Why do pictures uploaded here show the original file name on the post itself, but when opened to a new tab / downloaded, the file name gets changed to just some numbers?

Is there any must haves for JavaScript development other than a linter?

Anyone else's BitLocker encrypted system drive geting paused after the last couple of Windows 10 updates? Everytime, starting from the 1803 feature update, BitLocker gets paused and I have to re-enable it again in the control panel, after every cumulative update (patch tuesday etc)

should I just switch back to VeraCrypt again?

Hey guys, new to programming and python and I'm literally stuck in a loop. Essentially I want a function to start and end based on a keypress. I have it to where it will start up, but it wont stop. KeyboardInterrupt works, but I cannot use this as I need the keypress to pass from a game that overlays the command window.

heres the shorthand for what I have that works with the interrupt (1st time using code function):

x = 0

if keypress == '7':
x= 1
while x ==1:
try:
print('cat') #this is not what i really have it doing
except KeyboardInterrupt:
break

Essentially I want to replace interrupt with the same thing that calls the key press which is event.Key in this case. I tried things like 'if x is even: break' but it wont add 1 to x once I enter the while loop. I tried moving the x= x+1 within it, but no luck. Im def. missing a core concept here.

i need a good real time gps tracker program for android so i can check the location of my phone on another phone
does anyone have a recommended one?

Jow Forums X beta and StyleChan work fine over here.
Using TamperMonkey Beta and Chrome 69.

Become a Virtual Youtuber.

Attached: 1505964652484.jpg (400x400, 28K)

What's a trustworthy VPN for android?

I'm willing to pay a monthly fee if necessary.

Attached: foxgirl_56.jpg (422x422, 40K)

vpn by private internet access

I need a software to work with a lot of images to be combined into single page documents. Word is absolutely shit at this, you can't work with it, and PS is a little overkill for who has to use it. What do?

If even unlocking the bootloader on an Android phone trips SafetyNet protections let alone rooting, how do Android developers do debugging and testing of their own apps, surely devs need root and unlocked bootloaders for these things?

>have a facebook profile
>just a moment ago get notification: you have a new friend suggestion: shows person

What the fuck is this shit? Are they seriously outing people that look up your profile? I just installed tinder the other day too perhaps this has something to do with it?

I have two computers approximately 20 minutes apart driving. I want to switch their GPUs and can't find the antistatic bags. Is it okay to just put them in a newspaper and hold them for the drive?

do I have to wear a dress shirt for a Skype interview? do I need a tie? for a pretty relaxed looking west coast company of ~500 people

Is your account new? Is their account new? Is the person closely tied to you? The only person it ever notified me of is when my dad made an account and I thought that was pretty creepy

No, no idea, and no never met her.

probably, but if something goes wrong you only have yourself to blame
t. built computer with no grounding and stored parts in the open like a terrible person

why do I keep making my mother cry

>west coast
Put a "Im with Her" shirt on, guarantee job

It's an URL, but it's a chrome specific URL. Just put it in the address bar and you'll access all the haxorz settings

Since is sort of a simple fix

First what you want to do is make a boolean that's called something like "shouldStop" and set it to false

shouldStop = False

Then, for your loop, simply add a condition that check to see if shouldStop is false, as if it's false we want the loop to continue

THEN, when you press the button, set the variable to True, this will force the loop condition to be false and the loop should end.

while and not shouldStop:
if keypress == '7':
shouldStop = True # Next iteration, the loop condition should be false
# ....
# Do other shit

Does going from a 1080p monitor to a 4k monitor decrease the apparent size of images when browsing Jow Forums due to the resolution increase?

because she realized that she failed in raising you properly and thus preventing you from living a successful or at least happy life.

Pixel density, look it up

depends entirely on the physical size of the displays.
look up ppi/dpi

How do I get into pc hardware stuff? I want to learn how to build a pc by myself without going in blind while having to be handholded by some cheap ass budget pc building guide on youtube. Some book recommendations would be much appreciated. sorry for bad english

Its literally just put things in the only slot that they go in to and dont put your entire body weight force on it to push it in place,and its very apparent where they go cause there is no other place for them to go lol.
If you can do a kindergarten color shape peg board toy, you can build a computer

yes, i think that is correct.

youtube videos are your best source of information. building a computer isn't hard, it's basically lego.
if you want to learn about specific parts, just look them up on wikipedia.