PenBSD Disables Intel CPU Hyper-Threading Due To Security Concerns

penBSD Disables Intel CPU Hyper-Threading Due To Security Concerns
bsd.slashdot.org/story/18/06/19/2327212/openbsd-disables-intel-cpu-hyper-threading-due-to-security-concerns

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHH

Attached: 1525094938763.png (500x387, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-ht-2018&num=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's why it's the most secure OS. They don't doubt for a second to disable any functionality if is not safe.

>

>>We value your provacy
>slashdot
>>We share your data with 350 3rd party companies
>also slashdot
I love Internet

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-20 13-07-53.png (852x675, 89K)

This is not an OpenBSD only thing btw. They're fucking idiots but the threat is real. Look up TLBleed

>new thread is made when the last openbsd hyperthreading bashing thread devolves into shittalking op and freebsd

Attached: 1499963016439.jpg (691x771, 112K)

it's funny because intel is a piece of shit

pen?
can i install this on my pen? Jow Forums

Attached: 1497918409734.jpg (782x782, 108K)

reported to the adl

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

Attached: 1497883390389.jpg (267x297, 18K)

>Kettenis says that SMT doesn't really have a positive effect on performance, as Intel and other CPU vendors have advertised, and the change shouldn't bring a big performance hit.
so they're disabling a meme

>Kettenis says that SMT doesn't really have a positive effect on performance

In my experience it does, though. We don't live in a perfect world where i/o wait times don't exist so keeping a core busy with two threads has tangible gains.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and OpenBSD doesn't support anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
In the CIA triad of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability, availability seems to be the one that's lacking. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

butthurt is strong with this one

Of course not...

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-ht-2018&num=2

anyone who thinks this is an openbsd problem and not ANOTHER INTEL FAILURE is deluding themselves

>affected cpus: intel brand only

It's another shoah, this is targeted harassment!

I honestly thought the "nobody ever got fired for buying xeon... until now" ad from amd was just some joke
until now

The JIDF is upon him

But goy, those RACIST AND ANTISEMITIC canadians are saying that our based line of legitimately powerfull processors are full of back- I mean, "security issues" and that's not true.
How Intel will put computing of the greatest Israel ally on Jeopardy?
Remember goy, don't be antisemitic. Buy Intel and support Israel.

Although I consider all of the BSD's to be useless shit, I've gotta hand it to OpenBSD for really kicking Intel in the nuts with this.It's like watching a death match between two retards.

So basically, 24 "cores" will become 12 in Intels, magically (and for the greater happiness of companies running their servers on OpenBSD)?

based theo

Attached: theo on intel 11 years ago.png (844x1424, 337K)

Extra threads allow more efficient execution which results in a performance bump in many multithreaded workloads, but at the end of the day the theoretical maximum throughput does not change just by hyperthreading being a thing.

12 core intel cpu's will still be 12 core without hyperthreading.

Finally, a *BSD derivative for pens. I will never run out of ink again.

Oh and it's an improvement, the previous company who owned them was bundling malware on sourceforge. Literally, they're squarely responsible for the breakout success of github with their bullshit. The new owners are a bit better, but they're desperately looking to monetize the site.

kys

Well,that all depends on your required drivers.If you need anything but the drivers for a Scripto Erasable manufactured between weeks 48 and 50 of 1984, you'll have to wait.

Resurrect youareself.

delid dis

Attached: 1436734391281.jpg (202x249, 30K)

It doesn't on OpenBSD, where the scheduler is barely adapted to support multiple cores in the first place.

Worst pasta

OYYYYYYY VEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY