*deploys your system directly from repo load-balanced with fail over over your servers in couple of lines of code*

>*deploys your system directly from repo load-balanced with fail over over your servers in couple of lines of code*

Why do we need system administrators again? why are they mad that they are getting replaced by a funny looking whale?

Attached: Docker_logo_011.0.png (1200x800, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ram
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why do we need system administrators again?
well, you still need a system administrator who knows how to install this shit..

also, fuck man, this is just another reason for UBI. Even if you are not a system administrator, the system administrator will learn something else end might enter your job field and be now your competition (simultanuosly lowering your wage, since there are more fuckers willing to do your work now)

it's not just sysadmin that are getting mad, traditional VMs and hypervisors are losing to containers in general. So, the real deal isn't Docker itself, it's the containers philosophy(namespaces, cgroups, capabilities) which is based on the linux kernel

The whole IT industry is being reshaped to adapt to the container philosophy

>Deploy the bitcoin miner straight into your data center.

> (OP)
>Traditional VMs and hypervisors are losing to containers in general.
Yup, I've ditched VMs for testing in favor of Docker comfiness. Still don't run them in production, but I know folks that do.

What is or jerb exactly?

What is the memory overhead for docker? My server runs on a 1GB vps. I'm serving static sites, etc, to keep the memory resources low, but wouldn't mind reconfiguring nginx or my rsync backup scripts in a docker.

I mean, you can do stuff in a docker container and then have it deploy to your server automagically, but you're probably not going to be running more than one.

how do I learn how to use docker?

fucking google it you mongoloid

very little usually, docker daemon takes fewer than 30 MB of ram, and the dockerized process itself will take slightly more ram than the original one. But the real overhead is not in memory, it will be in the performance of the dockerized app

Shut up faggot spoonfeed me

You need a sysadmin to not have every docker image be a loaded to the gills full distro install (with xserver) alongside a dozen flavors of malware. This is incredibly common and awful.

>read dockerfile
>replace ubuntu with alpine

doesn't seem that hard senpai

not gonna lie I don't know alpine for shit. does it have the same package naming scheme as debian/ubuntu?

Data Engineer. I use Docker for disposable environments that I can blow up and reuse.

>blow up and reuse
what does this mean?

someone has to manage the hardware you cuck

>takes fewer than 30 MB of ram
>fewer than
>fewer
Less than 30, RAM is a collective noun.

you mean will it make breaking changes? then 99.9% of the time the answer is a no.

That's what IT grunts are for
t. sysadmin

Bytes are countable nouns kiddo

Memory is a collective noun
collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ram
"uncountable noun"
Using fewer when talking about memory makes you sound like a hyper-correcting neckbeard. The same kind of person who says X and I, even when inappropriate.

30000000 fewer bytes or 30MB less RAM are the only correct options.

RAM is in the subordinate prepositional clause, not relevant. Dealwithit.

docker doesn't work properly, you fucking retard
it's software made by macfags, so it doesn't work reliably on all other OSes

the same thing as "data engineer"
"bullshit"

>being this desperate to not appear to be an hypercorrecting neckbeard

I'm at least the second guy and I agree it makes it sound awful. Fuck "rules" of grammar (ur wrong tho). I dont know if my statement was actually any less wrong.

Name one thing Docker does that's useful

> Why do we need system administrators again?
What are you going to do if your la will be over 50 on one hypervisor, or read latency on a database will grow? Deploy more containers, hoping it will fix everything? Sure thing, kid.

I love Docker for almost everything but I'm not 100% sold on containerizing things like databases. Am I wrong, Jow Forums?

thats a completely standard and uncontroversial opinion. They're working on it though.

>Fuck "rules" of grammar
I'm with you on that. I don't normally "correct" people elsewhere, it's fine as long as I understand their intention, but 4chins and reddit are full of people who hypercorrect because they care about how others perceive them. That's indicative of self
-esteem & image problems which can then be exploited via trolling for maximum laffs. :^)

>still need a system to deploy on
>still need a network to communicate with
>still need monitoring to know when shit breaks

>Environment that used to work doesn't work anymore
>Don't bother debuging/fixing, just destroy faulty docker container
>Deploy docker container in place
>It works

The fuck does this meme about "docker is fully automated" come from?
You still need to configure hardware, network, base OS, Docker itself and whatever container management system you're using before you can start deploying containers. The guy who does all that is usually called a sysadmin, you just replaced "VM" on his resume with "containerization".

>Can't find a container in the repo that works
>Can't create a customized container because you fired the sysadmin

Attached: 5500 power liches.jpg (204x247, 11K)

I live in the middle east, so English is not my first language you fucking snob

As it becomes more popular it will become more expensive, will not be long untill they hire a system admin to find a "cheaper way"

t. Soon to be IT grunt

>deploys your system directly from repo

includes a monero bitcoin miner and a backdoor

Yeah, that was the implication...

It's pretty useless aside from microservices purpose. I'd rather use something like ansible to orchestrate stuffs.