Why did everything turn to shit here? What exactly was it...

Why did everything turn to shit here? What exactly was it? I am posting it on Jow Forums because technology seems to play a major role, for example the IPhone and Twitter. But this cant be all right?

Attached: 3123112313123.png (529x95, 3K)

In the beginning the Universe was created.This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

iPhone.

The smartphone brought internet to the forefront of the normie masses. They sparsely used the internet before, but the smartphone caused everybody to constantly be connected.

Centralization on a handful of websites and smartphones killed the old Internet.

social marxism corrupted popular cultire

this

>the old Internet.
And how was the old internet?

This is pretty much correct. To expand a bit on why smartphones were so bad for internet culture, you can go look at some very old forums or posts before 2007. Back when everyone on the internet was browsing from a desktop, post quality was much higher. Tons of forums existed focusing on different topics and each of those forums had respected experts and newer guys who were eager to learn from them.
Today though, due to increasing smartphone use, that type of content is unwanted. Young adults that use smartphones want to see very quick and "interesting" facts which has led to clickbait type garbage. Its also harder to type out a long and serious post from a phone, which is why most forums today have such a bad shitposting problem.

I think he means mainstream adoption of the internet

Yeah but I'm asking how was the old internet like.

What were the differences? Why it was better, if it was better.

Attached: yBCwqJKw5HtMmfQOlSWdA-J4VyVuvwUqAiD41CFXXTg.jpg (1477x1941, 239K)

Came here to post this.
Thanks for doing it for me.
Sums it up.

How was Jow Forums between 2003-2007?

I only started posting here in late 2005 / early 2006, but let's just say, "better"

lol it was teh winz 5000 internets for when someone was WinRAR though.

But it was better.

>Why did everything turn to shit here? What exactly was it?
Financial Crisis

You know, a minor annoyance.

"Purer", fewer shills, no political bait, more anime (specially Haruhi and Lucky Star). Desu.

Though, I don't agree with . 2012 and 2016 were MUCH worse for this site. 2007~2010 Jow Forums was as fine as early years desu

Attached: nice matoi cosplay.jpg (1847x2015, 660K)

It attracted the type of person that enjoys spending hours at a computer. And people contributed more than 140 character messages.

>specially Haruhi
2009 made sure that she fell from grace

Attached: and we have become remarkably efficient.png (500x557, 282K)

The decline in post quality was a very long and subtle path. Back in 2011/2012 people were still posting massive treatises on /a/ about which waifu was best. We're talking hundreds of words per post (I don't believe there was a character limit under white moot). You really began noticing the creeping shit around 2013/2014, after various Jow Forums apps came out for Android.

I can see that but how was browsing the internet in the old days, what pages people used to visit, there were any search engine? What people used to do?

I think that I started using the internet in 2001. How it was before that year?

What was the year that internet became a thing for the wide public?

Begin of the 1990s?

It also awakened the sort of professional internet social justice warriors we see today, who spend every waking hour cataloguing and tracking things to be offended by.

Previously, if you wanted to spend the whole day browsing the internet, by necessity you COULD NOT have a life. You needed to be at a desktop or, at the very least, a laptop in a cafe. You couldn't just get internet access everywhere all the time.

Forums

web sucked always have.
Newsgroups/email lists/IRC were king.

>What was the year that internet became a thing for the wide public?
1994 - this is when PPP was invented and you didn't have to remote into a shell account or use shitty slip line.

The true old internet died September 1993. Before that BBS, Usenet and to some extent IRC were king. These were the true golden days.

Everything was still shit, but at least the total retards and normies couldn't get in.

Browsing in the old days -- surfing -- was done by visiting a web site you knew, and then following links that were posted on that site. You never knew where you might end up as you surfed from page to page, following the author's favorite links, that were often quite random, never using a central web browser.

There were some early browsers (Mosaic and Netscape), but they didn't cover as much ground as today's Google. There used to be directories (Yahoo Directory or DMOZ), a listing of interesting/relevant sites that were manually added by a human being, not a webcrawler.

It's diffucult to pinpoint when the internet became "popular". Usenet users can certainly point to September 1993 (The Eternal September, or The September that Never Ended), when AOL began offering their members access to Usenet, and a flood of new citizens entered the space. Maybe this is when the snowball reached the point of no return.

These were the forums of the 90s??

Attached: 123123.png (642x410, 35K)

snuh

if you were poor or rural and didn't have an local number for an ISP.

Why did everything turn to shit here? What exactly was it? I am posting it on Jow Forums because technology seems to play a major role, for example the World Wide Web and dial-up ISPs. But this can't be all right?

Attached: 19933123112313123.jpg (1366x768, 40K)

/thread

so many generals. they rose up around 2013 from memory

I've written about 10 different answers, and erased them all. What do I know, right? Maybe everything was always shit. But the lulz were real, my friend, always remember that.

I really wonder how the post quality was in the old days of Jow Forums, since I only joined in 2013. Nowadays I notice an overabundant amount of posts which are just "x a shit, y is great". Forget middle ground or explainations. I'm not sure if that's just my brain selectively picking on these or if it really changed. Not that I remember longer posts from this or last year to begin with.

Back in the 00s people also still had humor and wouldn't go apeshit if you send them some gore. That shift also has something to do with consumption being centralized with facebook and Twitter, cause logically you can't post these things there. Back then everyone just had their place, people knew each other and knew what fucked up shit they could post. Nowadays if you post something inadequate, you probably get doxxed, receive a couple of death threats and if you're unlucky your car gets damaged.

>You never knew where you might end up as you surfed from page to page, following the author's favorite links, that were often quite random, never using a central web browser.
Exactly why Rick Rolling was possible and popular. Nowadays you have previews which ruin the surprise, so people just insert their own quirks, which just means the new "meme" gets a crossover with every franchise imagineable

>Nowadays if you post something inadequate, you probably get doxxed, receive a couple of death threats and if you're unlucky your car gets damaged.
Are you talking about Jow Forums or what exactly?

No, Jow Forums is still free from that shit. Just imagine what would happen on Twitter, facebook etc. if you were to post a link to 2 girl 1 cup or whatever and it's not deleted immediately.

You will get banned, that's what would happen.