Have you ever resurrected a GPU by baking it?

Have you ever resurrected a GPU by baking it?

Attached: GPUs.jpg (1674x1198, 1.24M)

Not needed. I have a self-baking GTX480.

back in my laptop - three times

Ive never successfully done it. But if its already fucked what are you going to do? Fuck it more?

Brings the component back to functioning for a few months.
Done it successfully twice

I used to buy broken cards for pennies, bake them and if they worked sell them for 20x profit usually. The gains overweighted the losses also.
Good times. (I know the cards wouldn't have lasted, but anybody dumb enough to buy used hardware deserved it.)

I once revived a 2007 mobo by baking it. Accidentally blew up a few capacitors but it still worked for a full year before dying forever. Good times.

I cringed when Linus Tech Tips put a GPU in a fucking oven to "fix" it.

Funny you mention that. I found a nice tv on the side of the road the other day. Suspected it was a PS issue and it was. I'm going to try a bake it today before buying a new one.

Why? The idea is just to loosen up all the solder in case any connections were going bad.

>I know the cards wouldn't have lasted, but anybody dumb enough to buy used hardware deserved it.
Most any computer hardware that's solid state will last a very long time under regular conditions. Most of it will actually outlive it's usefullness. There are PLCs and VFDs in use all over the place that are 40 years old.

People who buy used hardware aren't stupid; you're just a scumbag. It's hilarious that you're trying to justify it to yourself.

>got a cheap ass 660ti off eBay
>works great
>three weeks later it starts to show some artifacts and sometimes the fans ramps up to 100% and lose signal
I guess this dude baked it. I will try to bake it.

Yes I have but then it died again for good a couple months later. Radeon 4850 BTW.

We aren't talking about some 80's or 90's "muh retro" shit that was made to last but semi modern graphics cards that are made to break down after a few years.
You're a tech illiterate if you actually think todays technology will last 40 years when in use and so is everyone else buying 5+ year old used technology.

They arent made to break down you dumb fuck, its just unavoidable. There have been billions spend to eliminate failure points as the tech has become more complicated and smaller at the same time.

Cheapening out on components is mostly relevant because barely anyone uses the hardware in the designed environmental conditions.

Compared to older tech products, we are chugging out exponentially more components at a fraction of the cost that are not only more susceptible to imperfections, electromigration and out-of-specification environments due to their size, but also have exponentially more failure points.

No but I sucked ur moms cock noob, lol.

>People who buy used hardware aren't stupid; you're just a scumbag.
Right. You walk to a nigger hood and ask a brother "What are those?", get shot and die. That means you're not stupid at all, he was just a criminal. It's retarded how you're trying to rationalize your used hardware purchases; if you buy used hardware, you're a very high level stupid and there's no denying it. Go back to Plebbit now.

Not exactly. I've used construction hairdryer.
My 7970GHz works again.

I tend to buy open-box new items off reputable sellers on ebay. They are typically just customer returns that were barely used if at all, but they cost significantly less than "mint in box" items.

Maybe that makes me retarded too though, not paying a premium for nothing.

Attached: DJ1jsORUIAAKMUh1.jpg (397x201, 19K)

>I tend to buy what I think are open-box new items off what I believe are reputable sellers on ebay. They are typically just customer returns that were barely used if at all, or that's what I believe, but they cost significantly less than "mint in box" items.
>I'm not smart enough to even know if makes me retarded or not, but I'm so poor that I consider buying new stuff is a luxury.

>they won't break down but they will fail
So, what was the point of your post?

Not yet but I fell for pascal meme so probably soon

>anybody dumb enough to buy used nvidia hardware deserved it
fixed

Chances are it has already been baked

Yes. An HD7450. Was dead, did not produce a display output, then baked it. A year later with intermittent usage, and it still works fine.

I guess since I have living expenses (i.e don't live with my parents) and have an interest in actually investing the money I have left over, I don't overspend on something as trivial as computer hardware. Maybe you'll grow up one day, too.

My dude, I've been building computers for nearly 20 years and the only time stuff has failed on me is when someone fucked up; not cleaning heatsinks/replacing fans, spilling liquids, dropping things, etc. Obviously that's ignoring mechanical failures, which are far more common than electrical failures, but there are plenty of computers with no moving parts these days. Also, there are components that are known to be failure prone, but those parts are usually found to have sustained defects during manufacturing and are usually covered by warranty-- you almost never end up with those parts second hand unless some jackass refurbs them in an oven and sells them.

Solid state electronics are extremely reliable, so long as they're designed half decently. If you buy some Chinese brand second hand and it fails, then yes, that's stupid. But the big brands have certain design parameters and quality standards they want to meet. With adequate quality control in place, it's completely trivial to manufacture electronics that will live long past their life cycle. In addition to the PLCs I work with, I have electronics from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s and they all still work.

>some 80's or 90's "muh retro" shit that was made to last
>he thinks planned obsolescence started in the 90s
>he thinks computers are subject to planned obsolescence in the same way a washer is
Son, you must be like 16 years old. You need to sit your donkey ass down.

What's the best way to bake a card? Cleaning all of it and removing all components should be a must, I guess. Should I cover the plastic conectors too? maybe leave any thermal paste? Also, what temperatures and for how long?

Nice LARP mate. Did you really just make this all up and wrote it all down in one sitting?

>I have electronics from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s and they all still work.
Not disagreeing with you here, I do too.
But newer shit, specially GPUs like to fail hard these days. I come across broken HD 6970's, GTX 480's, etc all the time.

When you can buy them broken in bulk to fix in the first place, than don't you think that's already explaining why you shouldn't buy them used in the first place? You wouldn't be able to make money buying broken cards, reballing them (or being a cheap ass fucker and just baking them) and selling them if they didn't fail.

>some 80's or 90's "muh retro" shit that was made to last
>he thinks planned obsolescence started in the 90s
I don't see it mentioning "started in the 90's" when it clearly says "90's shit that was made to last".
Reading comprehension much?

>he thinks computers are subject to planned obsolescence in the same way a washer is
You never heard about a Apple computer made after 2012?

Do you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old?

I never said they would not break. You claimed they were designed to break, which is completly and utterly false.

One can argue that certain tech companies that chug out consumer products design said products that way On a board level and below, the opposite is the case.

Gave my good ol' 8800GTX a second life, 4 months extension.

I still find it a bit crazy this is an actual thing. Feels like I'm being baited like with bleach and ammonia but apparently it's legit.

>designed to break
BGA on high heat components with lead free solder... it's literary a DESIGN flaw that makes it fail, even if not intentional (but companies prefer that, else they would find alternatives)
Get out from under your rock dumbass

Yip. Worked like a charm

Yeah, a 7870. Worked for like a month before it started getting fucky again.

It is baked well below the melting point of solder. That is a myth. For a more detailed explanation look up Louis Rossman reflow rants

>I'm actually just so poor and financially irresponsible, considering even buying one new thing would throw my whole budget down the drain.

Chances of you having actually invested in anything that will net you a return: 0%

The fuck? There's a legitimate market for used hardware. I bought my second graphics card secondhand and it's been working for years with daily use.

Used to be true but now every "slightly used" GPU is a mined out piece of shit and normies dont otherwise understand hardware enough to sell it properly secondhand.

Yes, GTX 280 when it was about a year old.

I could not fucking sell the thing for $20 locally even though it performed like a $300 card at the time. Got low-balled to $15 and threw that thing in the fucking garbage lmao

The fact that you see no downside to flushing even small amounts of money down the drain tells me just how destitute you are. Probably never had more than $1000 in your bank, always pissing it away on some new shit.

>IF YOU'RE NOT ALWAYS SAVING MONEY, YOU ARE ALWAYS USING IT AND HAVE NONE!!!!
You're quite literally a Jew. You don't want to consider even having a minuscule amount of good things in your life because it might lower your total net value.

The fact that you have to try and justify saving every single little dollar tells me you work a minimum wage job with no future ahead of you and you're worried about it.

r9 nano is the cutest card in the world

Ending is better than mending. -- Goy of the year

Attached: 1529172173503.jpg (392x500, 33K)

>yeah bro just like fix ur broken CPU instead of buying a new one!!!
Fucking RETARD

>breaking your cpu
da fuq m8

Attached: siegematrix.gif (480x270, 3.43M)