“It’s dead. And once you’re dead on the desktop, my personal opinion is you’re dead...

“It’s dead. And once you’re dead on the desktop, my personal opinion is you’re dead. If servers are everything you have, just forget it.” ― Linus Torvalds

Attached: 0A373EB3-F021-4F0F-953B-B3AA82FB74CD.jpg (543x342, 19K)

>Code monkey's opinion

Is this recent data?

It's gonna be an absolute shitfest when M$ drops Windows 7 support

3% is actually pretty decent

Quote from 1998. About Desktop Java.

Why should I care what this Linus man says ?

By the time that happens windows will be free

>windows will be free
Highly doubtful. Windows probably contains tons of 3rd party licensed code. It can never be free.

I held on to Windows XP so desperately and for so long that I missed everything between it and Windows 10.

It's good to see my dedication pay off.

>install Lubuntu onto laptop
>move mouse to wake computer from idle and screen comes back on
>type in login
>HD grinds for a bit then the system goes back to idle, switching of the screen again
>move mouse to wake computer and have to type in the login a second time

I want to like Linux but shit like this does my head in. It does some things well and other things terrible whist Windows is mediocre but at least werks.

Osx at 3%
I find this hard to believe

Putting Linux to sleep is like Russian roulette, you never know if it will wake up properly or not.

>46% of the deksktop market share is windows 7
what kind of retardedly outdated information are you trying to flash here?

I've never had issues getting my machines to sleep, you're just doing something wrong. that's not linux's fault

Stop using a garbage distro that thinks it knows what you want better than you do.

>what kind of retardedly outdated information are you trying to flash here?
I've yet to come across a corporate office running anything other than windows 7.

you obviously haven't been in many "corporate" offices. every single workstation where i work is running windows 10

JUST

Attached: gamingOS.png (924x670, 42K)

>Windows XP has twice the market share of Linux

Attached: 1507664226936.jpg (750x775, 87K)

Well sorry for you but most people don’t live in Africa

I was at a car dealership recently and there were using Windows 8.1 hilariously enough. But seriously, most places are already switching to Windows 10. A lot of lower level government computers have Windows 10 on them. (I'm sure security-intensive shit will stay on Windows 7 for a while since it takes ages to to upgrade) The point is Windows 7 is not going to be like XP, where people cling to it long after it's dead.

>muh distro is better than yours
How is Linux ever going to become popular amongst the average user when the Linux community itself can't even agree to drop the elitism and infighting that does nothing but harm it's proliferation? It's almost as if the community itself doesn't actually want it to expand but instead for it to remain obscure so they can feel special.

I think he means gratis, not libre. Microsoft is already putting ads and including third party games by default, there's no reason they couldn't provide Windows "free" like Android or Mac OS is "free".

Who fucking cares if it's popular.
I'm happy using it. It you're not happy with what you're using, you should use something else.

No, W10 surpassed W7 market share several months ago.

We're switching to Windows 10 in July.

>The point is Windows 7 is not going to be like XP, where people cling to it long after it's dead.
With the alternative being windows 10, you bet your ass people will.
Win 10 is giga cancer, that even with all the shilling, even with all the forced updates, even with it being FREE and shoved down peoples throats, its still doing poorly, when you compare it to it's old competitor win 7.
Let that sink in.

Fukken this

this quote is when he was talking about java in 1998. even then he's completely wrong. most programmers today are expected to know and worth with java

Thats like the 2% most important though, who cares what Normie Normiestein uses

Maybe autists like you. Businesses and governments are already switching to 10.
>muh privacy
If you actually cared about privacy or security AT ALL you would be using Linux or BSD. Windows 7fags are dumb LARPers who know fuck all about technology.

People who make software. And thus people who use software. So basically everyone.

There was a hot second there maybe 6 or 7 years ago where people actually cared about multi-platting their shit. Now, with everyone who is not using a mobile device using Windows, nobody gives a shit anymore. People can barely work up the give-a-damn to develop for Windows when they'd rather just drop out a poorly-optimized javascript turd. And you sure as shit aren't going to see anyone care about Linux compatibility.