Actually comfortable as fuck to use and feels right at home

>actually comfortable as fuck to use and feels right at home
>actually doesn't all that much resources unlike Jow Forums claims
>checked both screenfetch and its task manager
>"bloated" yet Jow Forums is always wrong and never has good valid claims to back the trash and shit talk and hate on KDE
>Jow Forums is WRONG
>AGAIN
>as per usual
>all because all Jow Forums really knows how to do is obliviously shit talk and circlejerk

Why constantly hate and shit on KDE so damn much?
And yet most of you shit talking glow in the dark niggers don't even run a KDE based distribution nor do you run it as your main operating system/desktop environment
What's actually so bad about KDE?
WHY do you dislike/hate on it so much?
WHY do you frown down on it and talk shit about it so damn much when yet you don't even run it as your OS a distribution based on it mind you nor as your desktop environment?

I just don't get you Jow Forums

Attached: KDE.png (3000x3000, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2018-June/086117.html
mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2018-June/086162.html
phabricator.kde.org/T8707
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubu-1704-desktops&num=3
flexion.org/posts/2014-03-memory-consumption-of-linux-desktop-environments/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tumbleweed-Xorg-Wayland-Feb18
slant.co/versus/1121/1123/~kde-plasma-desktop_vs_mate
slant.co/versus/1120/1121/~lxde_vs_kde-plasma-desktop
linuxjournal.com/content/best-desktop-environment
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2018/06/its-not-a-good-bye/
lmgtfy.com/?q=nvidia gnome
lmgtfy.com/?q=nvidia kde
pointieststick.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-22/
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there is literally nothing wrong with kde

You seem like a MacOS guy.

What distro are you running kde with?
Would you recommend it to a friend or colleague?

Attached: 67b44e3.jpg (337x960, 50K)

The last time I tried it, it crashed when I was trying to change my scaling.

XFCE is better in every possible way.

Manjaro KDE. Never looked back.

Xfce and KDE are the only DEs worth using.

Actual macfag here. KDE has too many configuration menus and settings pannels. It needs a retardproof mode so the average fag doesn't break anything by accident.

Attached: 1501829078692.gif (498x314, 827K)

Nobody really shits on KDE anymore, its an old meme.
KDE is best DE, if using DE is your thing

KDE Plasma here, my volume thing just disappeared and I dont know what I did, send help

>KDE is best DE
Was, but recently main kwin maineainer left project and now KDE is dead. Not sure should i switch to Gnome or MacOs

>Was, but recently main kwin maineainer left project and now KDE is dead
Source? Doesn't seem like much has changed, as there are 5.13 updates currently available.

You are 3 years too late, gramps. No one shits on KDE anymore and everyone agrees it's a decent DE now. GNOME is (rightfully so) Jow Forums's new punching bag. I'm using Xfce personally but KDE is pretty sexy.

Lol now googled source and already another developer left also
mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2018-June/086117.html
mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2018-June/086162.html

And him leaving the project somehow makes software on my computer run worse?
Even if they do make some retarded changes if the future, it does not change the fact that its the best today.
And they would have to make many retarded changes to get below gnome3 level/

create a new user acount, see if the volume indicator works there, it it does, it's either a config and/or cache problem, right click on the systray and make sure sound applet is enabled, it that doesn't help delete the kde cache files under .cache folder.

Martin is still there, and still developing on KDE + KWin.

Just no longer maintainer since he had already reduced his involvement & didn't want to keep denying people's patches.

See his own blog for more info (n.b. his surname changed when he got married recently)

>no compositor
enjoy screen tearing

>KDE based distribution
No distro is based on a DE.

Compton.

Nice blogpost faggot

Looks like he had some concerns about VDG's direction? Do know what that's all about?

It's bloated compared to a minimalist setup, but yes given what it actually offers, I'd argue it's light as fuck.

>>no compositor

the fuck are you on about

KDE is way better than Gnome desu.

>he needs a third party compositor
>his compositor does not simultaneously act as his WM
>having process bloat

It's way too customizable. I can't deal with it. I spend hours upon hours configuring and changing shit constantly.

isn't it systemd dependent?

I don't use XFCE, but I do use compton. Compton is lighter than the compositor in KDE.

fucking this

>actually using screenfetch to check resource use

You fucking what

Average fag is not the target of KDE, we want to have nice things

my problem with kde is how it tries to do too much instead of doing one thing and doing it right

phabricator.kde.org/T8707
>VDG: we want to change the default value of this combobox
>Martin: REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

nice bloated DE you got there
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubu-1704-desktops&num=3
flexion.org/posts/2014-03-memory-consumption-of-linux-desktop-environments/

| Desktop Environment | Memory Used |
| ---------------------|------------:|
| Enlightenment 0.18.8 | 83.8 MiB |
| LXDE 0.5.5 | 87.0 MiB |
| XFCE 4.10.2 | 110.0 MiB |
| LXQt 0.7.0 | 113.0 MiB |
| MATE 1.8.1 | 123.0 MiB |
| Cinnamon 2.2.13 | 176.3 MiB |
| GNOME3 3.12.2 | 245.3 MiB |
| KDE 4.13.1 | 302.6 MiB |
| Unity 7.2.0.14 | 312.5 MiB |

Attached: file.png (628x439, 37K)

>What's actually so bad about KDE?
Nothing, these days.

>WHY do you dislike/hate on it so much?
Because they haven't used it.
>WHY do you frown down on it and talk shit about it so damn much when yet you don't even run it as your OS a distribution based on it mind you nor as your desktop environment?
Because compared to Gnome 2, KDE3 was shit. 4 was an improvement but still bloated and cumbersome. With 5 they've finally got their shit together and turned it into a pretty sleek and nice environment, while Gnome 3 has turned into a babby's first tablet environment (it's not TERRIBLE, mind, but clearly has lost its desktop-oriented focus).

>4.13
If you're going to troll at least try, you colossal retard.

>launch kde for the first time
> hello user, welcum to kde
> are you a retard?
>yes
> retard mode engaged, enjoy your komputer :3

>I don't use XFCE, but I do use compton. Compton is lighter than the compositor in KDE.
At this point KDE uses less RAM than Xfce, forget Gnome.

>Next up is looking at the overall system memory usage on the pinacle of service bloated distro
>second one /your list/ is from a VirtualBox
you're a special kind of retard aren't you

pretty sure xfwm has had a vsync option for a long while now which obviously makes you stupid

>Not sure should i switch to Gnome
in a bug free world i'd do it too
but instead what they do is shit on the gnome control center for the sake of a version bump

Attached: 2018-06-21_scrot-or8.png (521x462, 16K)

That has nothing to do with what I said.

>the more people involved the more cancerous it gets
and this is why suckless is best

>its the best today.
because of him

this was reported ten years ago btw, that's right, arguably the most important application for a user has been broken for a decade and i bet it will remain broken for another decade

yep

Attached: 11.png (1416x1518, 351K)

Gently reminder that if you want to test KDE on Ubuntu without reinstalling you can :
remove Gnome and install Plasma on Ubuntu with :
(this will not delete your gnome config btw)
1) remove Gnome :
This will remove Gnome Shell (the UI) and all the Gnome apps, just past each command one by one in a terminal

sudo apt install deborphan
sudo apt-get remove `apt-cache depends ubuntu-desktop | cut -d : -f 2 | grep gnome`
sudo apt-get remove `dpkg -l | grep gnome | cut -d \ -f 3`
sudo apt-get remove $(deborphan)
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt autoclean

2) Activate the Universe repo (community maintained free software) :

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update

3)Install Plasma
This will install Plasma with all the default apps of Kubuntu :

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

Choose "sddm" when asked.

If your PC is very old go with LXDE instead

sudo apt install lubuntu-desktop

4)Then reboot :

sudo reboot

Attached: 1504060009882.png (736x534, 191K)

>implying that it works
Good luck, faggot.

No.
>being a retard

scaling is still a buggy mess, but you can adjust font DPI which is good enough.

will be fixed with wayland no ?

>> retard mode engaged, enjoy your komputer :3
>gnome starts

Why is plasma so beautiful

Kek

Jow Forums is not a single person and i dislike kde for multiple reasons, mainly no vsync on nvidia (gnome somehow got that right), low performance in >muh gaymes, which again may be nvidia's fault but gnome got it right.
Other than that i find it generally less responsive and more cluttered. And with all the shitting on gnome i find the title bars on KDE to be too big compared to small titlebar themes like numix or ambience on gnome.
I wont bash anyone for using anything on their PC, but KDE is just not working for me every time i try it (which is pretty often, i would say i look up new kde versions every 2 releases and with gnome i can use whatever version since 3.12)

I agree with this.KDE seems like the right choice at first, but it still has a lot of bugs to iron out. I get more annoying freezes on KDE than I did on Gnome in it's early versions.I'm reaching a point where I think I'm going back to Gnome and it's bloat,because it at least works consistently.

Do vertical tabs still exist in the KDE interface in the year two thousand and eighteen?

>The last time I tried it, it crashed when I was trying to change my scaling.
When did you try it last time?

>mainly no vsync on nvidia (gnome somehow got that right), low performance in >muh gaymes, which again may be nvidia's fault but gnome got it right.
Why are you even using proprietary drivers? You are just asking for trouble. Dual boot with Windows 7 and use it for gaming, until Nvidia decides to do anything substantial.
>Other than that i find it generally less responsive and more cluttered. And with all the shitting on gnome i find the title bars on KDE to be too big compared to small titlebar themes like numix or ambience on gnome.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tumbleweed-Xorg-Wayland-Feb18
slant.co/versus/1121/1123/~kde-plasma-desktop_vs_mate
slant.co/versus/1120/1121/~lxde_vs_kde-plasma-desktop
linuxjournal.com/content/best-desktop-environment
Not so. Also, many themes are available for KDE.

>low performance in >muh gaymes, which again may be nvidia's fault
No, I had the same issue on AMD. It would get around 10-15% worse framerate than Unity and Xfce

Well my point wasnt that gnome is the best or something, i just use it because vsync works best with it on my nvidia gpu. I could use something like xfce with mutter if i could (mate does not cut it for me), but both kwin and mutter have some performance problems with vsync compared to windows, for example when using bricscad you have small popup windows (with shadows for reasons beyond me) in which you may input some data , and those lag as fuck unless you disable vsync globally. I had problems with mouse tracking on matlab plot windows both on gnome and kde ,but non on mate, xfce and unity. Vulkan on KDE is just refusing to work for me, while on gnome it works ok (and is more stable than on windows. Ive had KDE crash when trying to render the logout/reboot window in debian, kubuntu and manjaro, succesfully forcing me to hard reboot the pc because i couldnt even get into the tty. Not to mention that whole plasma panel liked to randomly stop responding without giving me an error or trying to restart. Konsole had also a bug which made it use one core 100% after closing , it apparently was a qt bug that was resolved later but i have never experienced so many little annoyances with any other DE in my 15 years of using linux, unless you maybe include retarded keybinding in unity

yes im using nvidia drivers, and no the problem is something with KDE if gnome works fine and has good performance. When i pointed out in some threads that i cannot use vulkan and get 110 fps instead of ~180 in dota 2 opengl some KDE fanboy pointed out that this isn't unplayable (lets ignore that ~60% fps drop it works fine!)

If you are getting well above 60 fps even with prioprietary Nvidia drivers, I wouldn't complain at all. In fact, I'd be content as everything above 60 fps is virtually useless. Especially compared to how Nvidia's driver support used to be. A

sorry wasting gpu power on lowered performance is just bad and defending it is denial, even if i will limit the fps to 60 there is no reason to waste electricity

>nvidia
>gnome got it right
uh wat? that combo is famous for trouble

I have stopped gaming years ago and this doesn't affect me, nor do the electricity bills. Different countries.

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2018/06/its-not-a-good-bye/
Please stop spreading misinformation.

???
lmgtfy.com/?q=nvidia gnome
vs
lmgtfy.com/?q=nvidia kde

Unless you mean wayland nvidia ,then i agree.

it's just a bye

dodging the problem = no problem
touche user

>dodging the problem = no problem
>touche user
Again, I said it doesn't affect ME. I'm not denying anything and you haven't provided for this:
>sorry wasting gpu power on lowered performance is just bad
>even if i will limit the fps to 60 there is no reason to waste electricity
Do it for the sake of other posters at least.

Provided a source*

2-3 months ago

I think you overestimate "hate" for KDE by a large degree. I prefer XFCE4. That's what I use and it works for me. I have nothing against KDE or people to prefer it, it's just not a preference I share. And I am glad it exists and I am glad programs like krita and kdenlive exist as a result of it.

>enjoy screen tearing
This IS a totally valid criticism of xfce4. it's in theory fixed but no distro's shipping xfwm4 git since xfce4 4.14 isn't anywhere near finished. In the meantime the obvious solution is
which works fine.

that's not much of an accomplishment. it's like saying carrots taste better than horseshit

writing one small program that does one thing and does it well is the unix way and the right way. what are you, some kind of systemd fag cheerleader that will soon attempt to make fun of alternatives that don't have a windowmanager, compositor and web browser built into init?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-21_14-36-14.png (1920x1080, 1.16M)

Nobody shits on KDE anymore except for salty GNOME shills.

>Xfce is dead
>KDE is lighter, modern and maintained
Pick one.

It's buggy when you set it in settings, on my laptop I've set DPI in .Xresources, works pretty well

actually the target audience of kde plasma is office users, as an alternative to windows

how do i fix this

Attached: kde_date.png (750x413, 88K)

Arch + KDE = maximum comfy

Xfce isn't dead. It doesn't need a million updates like KDE to fix stuff. It's already as solid as they come

hating on kde is so 2016
you have to hate gnome if you wanna be cool

Say it with me bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat. Its not even a Jow Forums thing, its a know fact of life.

And this is why I use Microsoft Windows 7

>And this is why I use Microsoft Windows 7
Which needs at least 40 GB of hard drive space.

Jow Forums has always hated gnome-shell.

this

>Windows
I duuno witch is worse kde or windows. Hell fucking gnome is less bloated than kde

pointieststick.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-22/
Apparently that's been fixed with KDE Frameworks 5.48.

KDE is fucking comfy.
Footfags will try to shill against it because that's what's left for them to do, over their inability to create desktop icons and run binaries on their file manager, memory leaks and shit file picker.

>manjaro
Why do I share a board with so many tech illiterate nobodies

Macfags in a nutshell, put the kiddy gloves on and baby proof the corners of your coffee table because the average applel user can never be trusted to know what they're doing.

Ironically gnome achieves this far better than any OS X release ever will

who is that?

KDE will remain shit until they fix this:
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324

he explained it in his blog, you are just spreading FUD

Laugh of the day. Great work user.

Attached: Grinning Intensifies.jpg (331x311, 48K)

>create a new user acount, see if the volume indicator works there, it it does, it's either a config and/or cache problem, right click on the systray and make sure sound applet is enabled, it that doesn't help delete the kde cache files under .cache folder.
Jesus fucking Christ, guys.

>macfags, kiddy gloves and baby proof
>also uses GUI
Linux master race checking in to shit on Mac users for being fags, brags about how their GUI is better because it occasionally shits the bed and they can fix it.