What is the difference between Kali Linux and normal Debian?

I want to install a Linux distro on my ARM Chromebook, and my choices are basically limited to installing Arch and Kali Linux. I don't want to use an unstable meme distro, and Kali Linux's installation process is as easy as burning the iso image they provide on a USB stick.

I know that Kali is a distro made for haxxerz, but is it any good as a normal distro?

Attached: nessus-kali-linux.png (480x270, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
youtube.com/watch?v=a2EkORFcSZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

daily distro=bad idea

holy fuck, you're absolutely retarded.

>what's the difference
try reading like two paragraphs about the distributions anywhere

Don't use it as a daily driver, it really isn't made for this.
Having a buttload of malware on the same system as all your user data is a terrible idea.
Install it in a VM or in a Linux Container (LXC).

>unstable meme distro

both of those are that, use debian or some mint shit

Difference is that all users of Kali are probably at school right now "hacking wifis"

Your contempt speaks volumes about your own capacity.

nice bait, faggot
try defending ScriptKiddieOS somewhere else

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

lol
Cool ignorance.

>live OS
>featured on MR ROBOT!
>follow online tutorials
>point and click
>copy-paste
well done, you are now a hacker

>unstable meme distro
do you know what an LTS kernel is?

if so, use Manjaro

You sound like the kind of person to flip shit over someone using NCat instead of writing their own tools in pure assembly....

>live OS
As opposed to booting from a hard drive?
>featured on MR ROBOT!
They also use keyboards in that show. Is anyone using a keyboard now is no longer a hacker according to you? Should all coding be done in binary through gigantic tubes Grace Hopper style?
>follow online tutorials
Why are you upset people get information through tutorials? You still need to understand the subject matter otherwise the skills are not transferable.
>point and click
lol
Knowing shortcuts makes you a hacker, good talk.
>copy-paste
Is that what you would do if you ran Kali? There is no longer any need to create any of your own code? Have you ran the OS before?

Don't listen to these morons, Kali is perfectly capable of running as a daily distro, same as any other distro. Skip setting a root password during installation and it prompts you to make a normal user, and most of the tools can be run with sudo, very few actually require being logged in as root.

neet opinion, bud

irrelevant. the discussion appears to be about the scriptkiddieness of Kali. it is extremely easy to use, regardless of if I code using butterflies

>As opposed to booting from a hard drive?
for example. point being?

>Is anyone using a keyboard now is no longer a hacker according to you?
you seem to be missing the point. try to figure out a connection between popular tv show, hyped distributions, and wannabe-hackers.

>You still need to understand the subject matter
no, not at all. there are entire tutorials where you just copy and paste.

>Knowing shortcuts makes you a hacker
try to stop pretending to be retarded, and realize the classic connection between GUI tools and scriptkiddies

>Is that what you would do if you ran Kali?
uh, that would depend on what I wanted to to with it

>There is no longer any need to create any of your own code?
I believe the topic under discussion was:
>all users of Kali are probably at school right now "hacking wifis"
then it is surely not needed. automated sniffing and rainbow tables.

>Have you ran the OS before?
nice ad hom

I'll apologize on his behalf for insulting your elite hacking skills

lol you don't know me, kiddo.

you don't know what kind of education i've collected. there are things in this world worth working towards.

what are you even up to today ?

>for example. point being?
I was trying to narrow down what point you were making. What connection do you see between LiveOS and scriptikiddie as opposed to any other boot option?
>you seem to be missing the point. try to figure out a connection between popular tv show, hyped distributions, and wannabe-hackers.
You seem to infer that anyone who runs Kali is a script kiddie, not just the bandwagon fans.
>no, not at all. there are entire tutorials where you just copy and paste.
For that one case. What happens when the variables are different?
>try to stop pretending to be retarded, and realize the classic connection between GUI tools and scriptkiddies
You're under the impression that people who run Kali don't have the capacity to pop the hood and see and understand what's inside. Why is that? Is it because of the attention from Mr.Robot? Having all the tools one might need is nice, why are you against efficiency?
>try to stop pretending to be retarded, and realize the classic connection between GUI tools and scriptkiddies
Sure, that went over my head.
Here's my summary of what I think the problem is.
Hipster bullshit coupled with a superiority complex.
Good talk, friend.

no arguments detected, sorry.
nothing to approach. nice blog though.

>What connection do you see
nothing major, except for the slightly lower threshold for running a live OS OOTB compared to installing something

>You seem to infer
where?
>anyone who runs Kali is a script kiddie
I don't agree with this

>What happens when the variables are different?
"COPY-PASTE THE IP AND PORT NUMBER HERE!" - tutorial

>You're under the impression
nope

>why are you against efficiency
not

>my summary
2/10

>where?
>Difference is that all users of Kali
>I don't agree with this
>Difference is that all users of Kali
>"COPY-PASTE THE IP AND PORT NUMBER HERE!" - tutorial
Sure, don't see how that invalidates all tutorials.
For instance, is this tutorial for script kiddies?
youtube.com/watch?v=a2EkORFcSZo
>nope
Then I am at a loss at what your point is.
>not
So Kali is good OS is utilized by people who are beyond the scope of script kiddie and you're still upset?
>2/10
:(

Meh. Kali is the ultimate meme distro for script kiddies that never bother learning anything beyond copy and pasting with python.

And yes, a competent linux user is well aware that all of the tools that run on kali, run on every fucking distro, its sad that people like OP get into it for the
"haxxerz" meme, and not real hacking. You might as well install BlackArch and start masturbating to Mr.Robot, because using kali separates you from people that know more.

Also chromebooks? You fucking serious?

uh-huh. well, I'm not though, but as I said "I believe the topic under discussion was" re. that post. I do believe that Kali is obviously the #1 OS for any hacking larper. same as with "oh, I'm a 1337 cyber warrior using LOIC on scientology HQ"

> is this tutorial for script kiddies?
can't be fucked to watch it. but you can feel free to assume that I answer "no". then you can chain together the things I've written to make it seem like I'm somehow hypocritical, but I'm not aware of saying that Kali cannot be used by OSCP folks or w/e.

I don't know what to do with the rest of the things you've written.
>Kali is good OS?
sure. I wouldn't use it myself though, since it has a lot of unnecessary shit on it. just go with debian sid, download whatever you need and create the rest in bash/python.

>you're still upset?
I don't see the need to claim that either one of us is in a certain emotional state. also don't know what you mean by "still", as I'm unaware of anything like that being previously established in this conversation

>:(
tomorrow will be a better day, I promise. you can do it.

Distros are a meme. Kali is a subset of debian with specific packages preinstalled.

Ah, I see. You jumped in on the topic and I assumed I was talking with the original guy.
>I do believe that Kali is obviously the #1 OS for any hacking larper. same as with "oh, I'm a 1337 cyber warrior using LOIC on scientology HQ"
I don't disagree. I was trying to figure out why user thought "All Kali users are script kiddies"
>I don't see the need to claim that either one of us is in a certain emotional state. also don't know what you mean by "still", as I'm unaware of anything like that being previously established in this conversation
I wanted to see why you were still argumentative when your premises began to contradict each other (assuming you were still the op of this chain)

Well then. I'm more like "I always avoid blanket statements" :^)

no need to take 4ch hyperboles too seriously though I think

I actually use Kali. I use Kali so that I can actually get a solid grounding in hacking. The pre installed software is useful for learning how to hack. It was never a thing about band wagoning or script kiddying. Everyone needs somewhere to start and that's where I'm starting. Seriously get off your fucking pedestal you cunt.

install gentoo op, godspeed

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1492227807770.jpg (1920x1080, 94K)

Just install Debian and be done with it, you can install any of those tools using a package manager or compiling from source while on Debian. All you're getting with Kali is all of those tools installed and configured for use beforehand without you having to do the setting up of services and configuration beforehand. If you're gonna use Kali on a daily basis and want to stay current with updated tools and exploits you should just install it in a virtual machine.

Is it good as a normal distro? It's about as good as Debian with Gnome 3 running with root could generally be, it's Linux. It's not about the distro, it's about the tools that come packaged with it.

>When Kali steals cows from someone it's good, when someone steals from Kali it's bad
t. In Desert and Wilderness distro user

I think you're too retarded for either.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

> (OP)
>Don't use it as a daily driver, it really isn't made for this.
>Having a buttload of malware on the same system as all your user data is a terrible idea.
>Install it in a VM or in a Linux Container (LXC).
It isn't malware if they are tools you want to use.