A career in IT

Is it unrealistic to start a career "somewhere" in IT at 30 or is just a pipe dream? I noticed many of the courses range from £1000-5000. Would I be doomed to some entry level job with no future?

Attached: This way.jpg (500x500, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U-JhRjRaD4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

Could you elaborate?

I started at 30, make good money. Pick something that has good employment options and you’ll be fine

Whew, I liked reading this. Just got out of the military and will be starting a new career when I finish school (IT program) at 31.

What did you pick?

>when I finish school (IT program) at 31.
I have very low funds and temporary access to a lynda account and I doubt that can replace actual courses. Apparently I'll be skimmed over for IT apprenticeships because I'm old and have a degree.

What have you done until now? Do you have any experience with IT stuff?
I think it will be hard to catch up if you know nothing about IT.
Have you ever heard of the TCP/IP model?

Electrical engineering technology, which landed me at an ISP. I take care of site surveys for commercial and residential fiber builds. I also install and configure fiber connections for commercial customers..which just entails installing a modem and fiber splice panel in their server rack and making sure the light levels are good

Here's a more realistic representation

Attached: anon_runs_east.jpg (532x783, 180K)

Probably more accurate I suppose.

Hard to quantify but's closer to nothing if I'm honest. All I have Maths degree from 7 years back. It's a lower 2nd class.

it pays well -> kids want money -> kids study cs
employers prefer the young since you can pay them less
ironic

That sucks. Now what?

I got lucky in a way because the military is paying for it and I get paid by the military while I go. It's only 2 year community college diploma though. There is a bridging program with a couple local universities where I could go another 2 years for a full CS degree but I never even finishes high school math and I'm terrible at it, plus my military fund would have run out and I need to work to support myself at that point.

Still I would have rather stayed in the military though. No way I'll be making close to what I was making in the civilian world. At first at least.

>I got lucky in a way because the military is paying for it
The jobcentre won't pay for anything except for low level GCSE courses.

keep on grinding

>keep on grinding
Grinding what? Pleb-tier jobs?

if that's the best you can do, yes.

I'm wondering why I went to uni and why I picked Maths. I'm guessing uni is actually for networking.

so it would seem. i bullshited my way into an internship last summer. well, at least i have something to put in my resume. the thing about it is that any retard with silver tounge can land a position. the position might not be a particularly prestigious one but if you have the drive it's a decent start. i don't have the drive, though.

>the thing about it is that any retard with silver tongue can land a position.
Seems that way.

Well, it's a tough lesson to learn this late I guess. Now I need to decide if it's worth living the rest of my 30s since the first year's been crap.

try it if you are genuinely interested in it but do some research first. find some interviews with devs or some shit and see what they do. when i went to study it i was thinking real life work would be different but it seems that i'm doomed to be in academia. real life dev work is so fucking boring, man.

>real life dev work is so fucking boring, man.
I'm not really concerned about how "boring" the job is while I'm struggling to get by on a pleb-tier job (or benefits).

>try it if you are genuinely interested in it but do some research first.
What do you mean try it? Try what?

try learning something that catches your eye. if that something is boring try something else.

Nice quad-dubs, brother

That's an impressive set of dubs.

>try learning something that catches your eye
I can learn, learning isn't too difficult but I'm 31, I need to know what the most direct route to a decent salary in this sector. I can't afford any of those crash courses and even the longer courses are pretty expensive.

web development is the fastest -> youtube.com/watch?v=U-JhRjRaD4A
go through this and you'll have an idea what to learn next. visit

I started in IT at 38. I've been doing it for three years now. Doesn't seem that age matters until you're near retirement.

Can you tell me what you did and how you got there?

>javascript
Should I drop learning Java? I started it and got up to Arrays of Objects.

is odin project worth a shit?

>Should I drop learning Java?
nah, stick with it - it's widely used for backend (stuff on server). javascript and it's frameworks for frontend(what user sees).
never heard of it. seems to be a bit light on the topics it covers.

With math you could learn IT things for yourself and get free certificates and prove you've learned things and some employeers will give you a job. In Spain they don't even give a shit about certifications anyways, they just test you by saying "okay do this and that" and you just do it and you're welcome which is funny desu. And in Nintendo they mostly hire mathematicians and physicians anyways, so just keep learning and getting more to it and you'll eventually know enough and try to land any job, sincerely some will give you a good job

>get free certificates
What? How?

>nah, stick with it - it's widely used for backend (stuff on server)
Any specific certs I should concentrate on getting? I ration the few bob that the jobcentre gives.

certs? not an expert on those, honestly. i would create some kind of project (content management system for imaginary store, for example) and put it on github if i were you. certs are good to have but if you were employer would you rather employ someone who has some previous work to show to you or someone who has n number of certs.

>employers prefer the young since you can pay them less
If I just blindly spam CVs at job postings on indeed.co.uk, you think I could get *something*?

Like even without any certs?

won't know if you don't try. you might get invited to interview if your cv is decently formated at least.

My dad became a programmer in his 40s when his preferred industry took a shit, and now makes fucking bank working in a big city. It is definitely possible. Job market was probably different then than it is now though, but 30s isn't too late to learn anything.