Is steam controller worth buying?

Is steam controller worth buying?
(especially when its on sale now)

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 20K)

Do you need a controller?
Yes? Buy it. No? Don't.

thanks

Bought one recently. If you like tinkering with bindings and settings you'll love it. It's definitely better than my xbox controller. You'll need to spend a few days to a week learning how to use it right now.

Absolutely!
Especially if you use Linux. There is "sc-controller" utility that is better than Valve's solution.

Also, the best controller out there as camera is not a retarded stick.

> It's definitely better than my xbox controller.
> Also, the best controller out there as camera is not a retarded stick.

Is that true? I was under the impression that it was good for emulating mouse control (as mentioned it's less retarded for camera) but isn't great as an actual controller.

you are able to be more precise with the camera on a steam controller then on a controller, it takes some getting use to.

on windows, its fucking hard to say. most games I got the controller for dont work on it due to being tied to steam
steam also refuses to let the controller have controller settings outside of games, so I cant just set it up as an xbox controller and have at it,

when it works, and if you only play it with games on steam or that easily work with steam, its fantastic, easily better then thumbsticks once you get use to it.

Personally I would used my dualshock 3 more than steam controller, but then that fucked with my bluetooth and causes blue screens all the damn time.

Wish something would make a steamless driver on windows that inst a clusterfuck.

No, it's still a crappy controller.
If you're going to buy one, make sure you can return it if you don't like it (most people won't like it, it's a badly designed controller)

Other options are:
- Xbone controller (works 100% on windows, only works in wired mode on Linux or OSX)
- Xbox 360 controller (works 100% everywhere)
- PS3 controller - working 100% on Linux, Windows works as dinput only but Steam can map to Xinput
- PS4 controller - as above
- WiiU Pro controller, probably getting rare now, digital only triggers, otherwise as above
- Switch Pro controller, digital only triggers, as above for config except HD Rumble not working anywhere yet.

The above controllers you can try at a brick and mortar store before buying (except WiiU Pro controller, since the demo units are probably long gone) If you've got a GameStop/EBGames near you, Steam Controller might be out on show too.

Seriously though, try before you buy and if you really can't, make sure it's an easy and painfree refund process before pulling the trigger.
Or you'll end up with a $60 lump of regret.

Wait so on Linux you can use it with everything but on Windows it's only usable with games purchased on Steam? That's fucking gay.

the driver for the controller is either an open standard or open source, I forget which one it is.

on linux some people saw the use of a controller that inst fucked for the platform and made a stand alone driver
lets be clear, as far as games go, steams solution is great, as long as its on steam, my issue is I like emulation and I hate dealing with sticks due to wear, trying to be precise is a bitch, and I also don't like adding games to steam so steam takes control.

there are methods on windows to get steam controller to work anywhere, but it does it through tricking steam, which isn't ideal if you want a steamless controller.

honestly, its the best hardware design for a controller I came across, the gyro function is fucking great to the point I wonder how sony fucked their implementation up so bad, its just tied to heavily restrictive software.

Yes.
It's not Valve's effort that made it usable outside of Steam on Linux though, that was the community.

Valve's official position is that the Steam Controller *only* works on Steam.
That that how you will.

Is anyone working on a proper steamless implementation for Windows or did everyone just decide if was good enough as is?

Basically I want to play pirated Dark Souls with it and if it's really finicky through tricking Steam or something then it's probably not going to work.

Since this thread exists I'm just gonna ask here:
Is there a wireless controller with at least okay battery life and gyro that is usable under Linux? Closest I can think of is the DS4 but the battery life is abyssmal.

Not as far as I'm aware of, developing drivers on Windows is a painful and costly* exercise anyway.

*Unless you want to force people to run with Driver Signing Enforcement turned off (standard since Vista64) you'll need to pay for a certificate to sign the driver, if you want people to be able to install it without it warning them about being a potentially bad driver, you'll need to pony up the big bucks for Microsoft to WHQL certify it.
Windows isn't a very good environment for open driver development.

You can buy a blue tooth adapter for your xbones controllers if you run W10

You could already use the Xbone controller wireless on windows if you purchased the adapter.
The post was dealing with the driver situation not the extra hardware required situation.

Also the Bluetooth functionality doesn't change the support situation on Linux or OSX.

You buy a fuckton of different controllers and dump them into a cabinet user. I have two Switch Pro, four Joycons, two GCN, a Pokken pad, a generic USB, a Wii U Pro, a Wiimote+nunchuk, a mayflash ns, and an old dualshock.
I never use any of them. Keyboard controls work best for me. The end result is I don't play video games either.

> The end result is I don't play video games either.
This basically

What really grinds my gears is how you can't use a WiiU Pro controller for MK8 on the Switch.
Apparently you can use a GCN controller, but not a goddamn WiiU Pro Controller.

Yes, but there's workarounds on windows like adding a non steam game to your steam library or binding the desktop profile for use with whatever game you're trying to play, but no matter what you need steam running to use these settigs at all, unlike on linux where there's open source drivers independent of steam

Yeah but like can it e.g. emulate an xbox controller? I specifically mentioned Dark Souls because of how picky and finicky it is.

yeah. You can evem make the camera feel more like a mouse while still giving the game joystick input.

there are some efforts, but as of now the only one I am aware of working is the steam tricking one.

that said, if you want a wireless controller for windows, dualshock 4 and its official dongle seems to be a good bet.