Backups and Data Recovery

So what's 's backup and data recovery plans? You do follow the 3-2-1 rule (3 copies on 2 different media, with 1 remote copy), right? If you use different OS'es (e.g. Windows, macOS or UNIX/UNIX clones), do you have a different strategy? Do you use Cloud storage?

Right now I been using USB sticks for my Linux partition, but that has gotten a little tricky with my /home directory getting so large. So I've gotten an external HDD, but I'm not sure what do next. Should I reformat it to ext4? Should I use rsync, borg or something else entirely?

Beyond that, I'm also trying to figure out what to do long term, backup-wise. Thinking of eventually getting a NAS to do auto-backups, eventually. Are M-discs a meme? What's your plan for remote storage? I'm thinking of storing it in a relative's or friend's home; I would never put it in the 'cloud', as there is stuff there that I wouldn't want government or big multinationals finding on my drive.

Attached: becb178d9bd3aba6cf0144d1ce2da3de.jpg (736x552, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_once_read_many
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i store everything on hundreds of thousands of floppy disks

I just have three remote drives that sync automatically and one that I copy manually to. It really takes zero effort to maintain backups these days.

>Timeshift for system snaps
>Free File Sync for devices and folders
trying to use something other than Drive for my cloud backups but can't settle for one

Attached: Hilde__Hilde_by_Masway.jpg (600x826, 126K)

I have a small server with redundant drives that my devices sync to automatically.
I have an identical server at a friends house that my home server backs up to twice a month. In exchange I let them run a server at my house for the same reason.
Just stick a server at a relatives house and make sure they keep it plugged in.

>Just stick a server at a relatives house and make sure they keep it plugged in.
My uploading speeds are complete and utter shit, so no go.

Then just buy two servers and keep one unplugged when not backing up.

I backup to an SD card that's usually mounted, an HDD I connect only to upload a backup or search for a file, and on a USB I keep on my keychain. I also backup some shit online, but it's usually shit like downloaded pictures or game saves or other settings backups.

First let me say that I don't have any data that REALLY needs to be backuped.

That being said, I use syncthing to sync some stuff (docs, music, etc.) between my desktop, two laptops, my phone and a small server that acts as some kind of hub for the other devices.

So depending on importance everything worth keeping is on 3-5 devices, which is more than enough for my needs.

I also backup everything to an external hard drive twice a year, didn't need that since I started six years ago though.

> Should I use rsync, borg or something else entirely?
No. Use borg. & set it up to run automatically.

Syncthing with its staggered versioning would be an alternative and is useful on Android and stuff. But Borg verifies / recovers better and stores data more efficiently, so I'd primarily rely on that whenever possible.

> Thinking of eventually getting a NAS to do auto-backups, eventually
Do it now. Even if it's just a single drive on a weak NAS box for starters until you can start your RAID array properly, you just want to automate that backup now.

>My uploading speeds are complete and utter shit, so no go.
I could pretty easily upload the backups [difference sets, mostly] from borg on dialup or ISDN - tier shit speeds. I rarely even get a few hundred MB.

YMMV if your hobby is to record video with a good modern camera and you accumulate one or more TB of footage per month, but that's probably not likely?

>No. Use borg. & set it up to run automatically.
Hmm, okay. Should I reformat my drive from NTFS to ext4 or some other FS.

>Even if it's just a single drive on a weak NAS box for starters until you can start your RAID array properly
Only got a RaspPi and an old HDD. It is that a good start?

i make half copies of the sql database and filesystem then accidentally upgrade the live site instead of the dev site and hope i didnt break anything in the process

i get paid for this LOL

My important, non-replaceable data (~100GB) is stored on a FreeBSD ZFS mirror, a Scientific Linux ZFS mirror, a laptop, a portable USB drive, it is burned to two sets of M-Disc DVD's - one kept locally (east coast) and the other is on the west coast, and a copy is stored at archive.org. I'm not joking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Correction - there are three sets of M-Disc DVD's. I forgot I sent a copy to a friend here on the east coast but several hundred miles away.

> Hmm, okay. Should I reformat my drive from NTFS to ext4 or some other FS.
The backup destination drive? I'm not sure Borg requires it, but I'd personally use xfs or ext4, yes. They are ultimately more robust [and better-performing] filesystems than NTFS in my own experience.

> Only got a RaspPi and an old HDD. It is that a good start?
That is likely fine for quite a while, yes.

[Of course I personally do not like the RPi, I'll default to an ODroid that can actually do GBE minimum... but honestly, I think it should work in terms of speeds vs what mainly needs to be backupped even if you do it hourly or daily...]

How do you keep all those backups updated though? Or does the data change so seldom that its not a problem?

I've been meaning to get off my ass and burn some DVDs of my more important stuff. I don't have the fancy M-disc things though, which means I get to fuck around with DVDisaster and/or that obnoxious Par2 garbage.

>but I'd personally use xfs or ext4, yes. They are ultimately more robust [and better-performing] filesystems than NTFS in my own experience.
Thanks for the advice.

>I personally do not like the RPi
The fact it bottlenecked with USB 2.0 makes it less ideal, but it's what I have at hand, doing nothing.

The data accumulates but it doesn't change. This data is a record of reality.

I use rsync to keep the various machines consistent. Disc burning and offsite transfers are done in batches every few months.

>but it doesn't change
That which is stored doesn't change.

>The fact it bottlenecked with USB 2.0 makes it less ideal, but it's what I have at hand, doing nothing.
Yes. I just don't really like them, I'd default to an ODroid XU4Q or HC2 for anything like it since it's capable of GBE speeds with an USB connected drive and has enough processing power to run a bloat browser without thermally throttling on passive cooling all the time... and stuff.

But honestly, with borg backup sets usually being 10 or 100MB or such. If the backups end up larger, you'll probably find out that you didn't exclude the browser cache folder or such data you don't even care about, and just exclude it then.

It'll probably work until you want to start a RAID5/6 array on trusty old Linux SW RAID. That's when a RPi will just suck.

It's WORM data. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_once_read_many

Attached: dune-sand-worm.jpg (600x424, 24K)